Post#2 » by DCintheD » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:17 pm

What’s the damage?
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Re: Blake Officially Bought Out 

Post#3 » by zeebneeb » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:23 pm

I'll never forget the one season he had here when he was absolutely unstoppable. Injuries finally caught up with him, but what a season it was.

Hope he joins a contender as I suspect he has more in the tank then anyone thinks.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:30 pm

DCintheD wrote:What’s the damage?

Yeah, this is the (multi) million dollar question.

I hope I can eat crow as we learn that we got him to walk away from a substantial amount of money.

Don't have high hopes though.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 182

Post#5 » by JNewton » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:33 pm

zeebneeb wrote:I'll never forget the one season he had here when he was absolutely unstoppable. Injuries finally caught up with him, but what a season it was.

Hope he joins a contender as I suspect he has more in the tank then anyone thinks.

I remember thinking what a disaster the trade was when I saw it come across my iPhone with the NBA app push notification that January 2018 night. It still was, but that 2018-2019 season was an amazing feat. Certainly the best individual player season for any Pistons player since the Grant Hill days. He was a real pro too, certainly couldn't have been very enthused on his end to go from Los Angeles to Detroit, between the weather, culture, and the fact that even putting up an unbelievable season could only get the Pistons to a .500 first round sweep (and even that required some luck down the stretch in the regular season.) I wish him well wherever he goes.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:42 pm

My reaction to the trade was overwhelmingly negative at the time. I thought it was a calamity we'd be suffering the consequences of for years down the line.

I didn't expect the one good season we got out of him, nor did I expect him to conduct himself as professionally as he did with the team.

I'll appreciate those things. But unfortunately I was still right about the trade. That dead money is gonna hurt. Everyone needs to collectively pray that we didn't stretch him.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:44 pm

Nice, hopefully he goes to the Lakers and wins a title before the Clippers
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#8 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:45 pm

So does this open up a roster spot to sign Lee to a guaranteed deal?
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#9 » by Kilo » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:45 pm

It's a joke really. Blake had a Player Option - he could have controlled his own destiny and walked to "fulfill what he wants to accomplish with the remainder of his career". But he wanted to get paid most of that 39M - talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too. And the Pistons allowed that. Anything less than 20M given back and he robbed the Pistons.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 182

Post#10 » by JNewton » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:48 pm

Snakebites wrote:My reaction to the trade was overwhelmingly negative at the time. I thought it was a calamity we'd be suffering the consequences of for years down the line.

I didn't expect the one good season we got out of him, nor did I expect him to conduct himself as professionally as he did with the team.

I'll appreciate those things. But unfortunately I was still right about the trade. That dead money is gonna hurt. Everyone needs to collectively pray that we didn't stretch him.

Admittedly, I don't follow the mechanics of the CBA much anymore, but from what I've heard the Pistons are not eligible to stretch Blake unless he gives up an obscene amount of money in the buyout. It would put them over some type of threshold of how much is allowed to be stretched. A benefit of Weaver's stretch spree in November, I guess.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:49 pm

JNewton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:My reaction to the trade was overwhelmingly negative at the time. I thought it was a calamity we'd be suffering the consequences of for years down the line.

Admittedly, I don't follow the mechanics of the CBA much anymore, but from what I've heard the Pistons are not eligible to stretch Blake unless he gives up an obscene amount of money in the buyout. It would put them over some type of threshold of how much is allowed to be stretched. A benefit of Weaver's stretch spree in November, I guess.

I've read conflicting things about whether or not we can stretch him.

I can't cite any of those things, but I'm still going to be nervous until the moment we learn the exact terms of the buyout.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#12 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:49 pm

Does his contract count towards our cap after a buyout or something?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:51 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Does his contract count towards our cap after a buyout or something?

It most certainly does. But I'd rather take the whole hit in the next 2 years then stretch it out over more years.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#14 » by DBC10 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:52 pm

Kilo wrote:It's a joke really. Blake had a Player Option - he could have controlled his own destiny and walked to "fulfill what he wants to accomplish with the remainder of his career". But he wanted to get paid most of that 39M - talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too. And the Pistons allowed that. Anything less than 20M given back and he robbed the Pistons.

Eh it's Gore's money so good on him for getting paid while still controlling his future in the short term. If he was stretched it'll be Josh Smith 2.0 again tho

Finally the end of the extremely short BG Era that was largely forgettable. This was the most probable outcome considering he hasn't been fully healthy since 2013. Too bad he broke down way too fast and got paid way too much for a trade to be even in the conversation
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#15 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:52 pm

Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Does his contract count towards our cap after a buyout or something?

It most certainly does. But I'd rather take the whole hit in the next 2 years then stretch it out over more years.

Well that's kinda strange, why would it if you fulfilled the contract?
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#16 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:54 pm

I mean I would rather not play him then getting in the way regardless as he serves no point to the future of the team , hopefully we don't stretch anything but I'm sure we will
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#17 » by Kilo » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:55 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Kilo wrote:It's a joke really. Blake had a Player Option - he could have controlled his own destiny and walked to "fulfill what he wants to accomplish with the remainder of his career". But he wanted to get paid most of that 39M - talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too. And the Pistons allowed that. Anything less than 20M given back and he robbed the Pistons.

Eh it's Gore's money so good on him for getting paid while still controlling his future in the short term. If he was stretched it'll be Josh Smith 2.0 again tho

Finally the end of the extremely short BG Era that was largely forgettable. This was the most probable outcome considering he hasn't been fully healthy since 2013. Too bad he broke down way too fast and got paid way too much for a trade to be even in the conversation

It's Piston's cap space money as well. It only becomes "Gores Money" if Gores is willing to go into the tax - and he hasn't shown any willingness to do that.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#18 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:55 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Why wouldn't it? It's still money you spent towards the roster.

In any event, we can argue about whether or not it's weird, but that certainly is how it works.

That's how stretching is even a thing we can talk about, and it's also why expiring contracts are such a big deal. You can't get out of cap hell by waiving players. Have never been able to do that.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#19 » by MotownMadness » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:57 pm

Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Why wouldn't it? It's still money you spent towards the roster.

In any event, we can argue about whether or not it's weird, but that certainly is how it works.

That's how stretching is even a thing we can talk about, and it's also why expiring contracts are such a big deal. You can't get out of cap hell by waiving players. Have never been able to do that.

Just makes no sense cause your paying the contract off up front instead of over a period of time. Why should it matter towards the cap if the contract is done after a buyout?

You don't have to answer cause I know it's the rules just doesn't make much sense
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#20 » by chrbal » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:59 pm

Waiting until the money is discussed. Knocking on wood, this has got to be too much money to stretch.

Return to Detroit Pistons