Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: We get the #1 pick 

Post#61 » by Manocad » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:13 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:No team will give up a top 20 pick for a former lotto guy who stunk in his first games and went down with a serious injury. He'll need to come back healthy AND show significant improvement in his game before anybody offers anything more than a very late first or a couple second rounders.

We got #15 for Darko after if was clear he wasn't going to amount to anything.
Nah man Darko was 7 feet and not from France and was traded to a warm weather city and some other random caveat that just moves the goal post to avoid precedent.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

And he hadn't gone down to a season-ending injury. So yeah, there's that...
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#62 » by DetroitSho » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:51 pm

ducler wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
ducler wrote:Are you sure of that? So they are acting like they don't know anything while Tatum is annoncing the picks?
What?

At lottery ceremony, we all see on TV Mark Tatum announcing the picks to team's representatives who, it seems, don't know the results before the show. That's why I suggest they act like they don't know the results if indeed they saw the drawing of the ping-pong balls in private just before.
So you're honestly unaware of the fact that teams have more than one people in their front offices and that the team officials who witness the actual lottery drawing are not the same team officials you see on TV?

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#63 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:53 pm

Sadly, even if we finish with the absolute worst record we'd still only have a 14 percent chance of landing the number one pick.

We probably aren't getting a top 3 pick no matter what we do. The odds don't get any better than 40 percent even if we have a botton 3 record.

That's the trade-off for the teams in the mid lotto getting better odds, and unfortunately we may be on the wrong end of that tradeoff this time around.

I still consider it a better system overall, but yeah, from a purely "what's best for the Pistons this year" standpoint I'd have probably preferred the old system. The one that has helped keep us in purgatory these last 10 years.

How's that for irony, folks?
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#64 » by Drwho17 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:54 pm

440BB wrote:Weaver sounded optimistic about Hayes, both his rehab process and returning soon. Hopefully the hip was an isolated incident and a temporary setback. Time will tell.

Someone should have asked him about the report that the Knicks knew Hayes had hip problems before the draft. I'd be curious if this report was true, if true it might explain some of Hayes play (however I doubt rest would fix it).
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#65 » by Pharaoh » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:28 pm

Considering the last thing I read on Hayes' actual injury stated it was a dislocation that caused a partial tear I'm not sure how the Knicks could have known a dislocation was going to happen months in advance.

If memory serves that article stated the Knicks knew something was proven to be full of it since didn't the league do the physicals (Covid) & every team got the same info?
Drwho17 wrote:
440BB wrote:Weaver sounded optimistic about Hayes, both his rehab process and returning soon. Hopefully the hip was an isolated incident and a temporary setback. Time will tell.

Someone should have asked him about the report that the Knicks knew Hayes had hip problems before the draft. I'd be curious if this report was true, if true it might explain some of Hayes play (however I doubt rest would fix it).

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons