Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Re: Weaver's first Trade Deadline: Thursday March 25th 

Post#341 » by thesack12 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:28 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Billl wrote:I'm not surprised that we didn't get decent offers for anyone besides wright, but I am kinda shocked sekou is still on the roster.

I could be wrong on this, but perhaps Weaver has already made up his mind that Casey will not be returning next season. GM's usually like to be tied to the coach of their own choosing, and obviously Casey was a holdover from the previous regime. There also seems to be a disconnect between Sekou and Casey for whatever reason, somewhat similar to the Casey/Wood relationship.

Weaver may just feel that he would like to see how Sekou responds to a new approach/leadership. That or maybe Sekou just didn't have an attractive market, and it just made sense to hold onto him to see if the light eventually turns on for Sekou instead of trading him for whatever hohum returns being offered.

Let's not go that far now. Sekou is terrible. Wood was a monster dunking double/double machine.

Wood in practice likely looked awesome, probably putting some ferocious blocks and dunks on everyone. Even so he didnt see much playing time until the end of the year.

Sekou on the other hand is really bad. Casey will not play younger guys that are clearly better than the vets he likes. Sekou is not one of those players.

I still think Sekou should play more minutes but that is for the tank and the very small chance he puts it together.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to talent/production level in regards to comparing the Casey/Wood relationship to the Casey/Sekou relationship. I was alluding to that Casey was quite reluctant to play Wood. He preferred and prioritized getting Thon minutes at the expense of Wood. Also seemed like anytime Wood would make a mistake he would get pulled, but Thon would crap the bed on about every other play yet not get the hook. Fortunately, once Drummond got traded Casey didn't have much of a choice other than to play Wood consistently and as expected he balled out. I also always got the sense that Casey simply just didn't like Christian in general.

As it pertains to Sekou, while he has been terrible thus far it sure does seem like he just plays scared. Scared to make a mistake that is. Maybe that's not on Casey and just in Sekou's psyche, but it does seem like Casey is quick with the hook after Sekou makes a mistake. At some point you have to allow young guys to play through their mistakes and see how they respond. If your're on the floor with the mindset that you don't want to mess up, you're not going to play well. I also get the sense that Dwane doesn't like Sekou either. Not as much as I did with Casey and Wood, but I do detect undertones of such.

IMO, the main reason Sekou gets any minutes at all is upon orders from the front office. While its entirely possible, perhaps probable, Sekou busts out completely. I do believe that Casey is not the best coach to squeeze out whatever potential Sekou has in him.

Return to Detroit Pistons