ImageImageImage

Svi traded for Diallo

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Snakebites

User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,934
And1: 3,596
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#101 » by Pharaoh » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:50 am

He's played the point at various times for OKC though
Kilo wrote:Diallo ain't a point guard.


Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
DocRI
Starter
Posts: 2,106
And1: 743
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#102 » by DocRI » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:03 am

My father always pointed at GMs across sports as proof that people repeat what has worked for them before, especially people who experience success. For example, Joe Dumars built a championship team primarily by collecting former lottery picks who, for various reasons, hadn’t worked out or reached their potential (Billups, Rip, Rasheed, Corliss, McDyess). He then spent the rest of his tenure trying to recreate that magic with players who fit that same bill (Gordon, Villanueva, Jennings, hell, even Kwame and Chris Wilcox!), but never could. This isn’t to say that repeating a strategy that has worked in the past always turns sour, but that people follow patterns of behavior.

Troy Weaver’s first major acquisition as a GM was Jerami Grant — a player he felt had untapped potential and had been underutilized — and the early returns could not be better. Right as rain, he’s going back to that well and looking for more talent that has yet to receive the opportunity to shine, repeating the behavior that worked for him. Between his age, athleticism, relatively low minutes / usage, and low acquisition cost, Diallo absolutely fits the bill as another player who could blossom given a greater role and opportunity.

I brought up Malik Monk in the “Trade Targets” thread, and he could still be someone Weaver targets during free agency because he fits this bill, too; in fact, that’s why I brought him up. I think we can expect Weaver to continue targeting players he feels have untapped potential and just need a greater chance to reach it. Like my Dad said, people repeat what has worked for them.


Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,583
And1: 489
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#103 » by Piston Pete » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:36 am

Kilo wrote:Diallo ain't a point guard.


Watch tape on him from this season.
Clav
Ballboy
Posts: 48
And1: 39
Joined: May 01, 2020
     

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#104 » by Clav » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:53 am

Good trade for Detroit. Big plus -- former teammate Grant and former exec Weaver is in the mix. I believe all were pretty amicable in OKC.

Little scouting from what I've seen in OKC - it indeed used Diallo as a PG (mostly SG, though), and they're having Diallo bring the ball up because this has been a mighty odd season for the Thunder. I've laughed at some of these efforts, but hey, sometimes it works. OKC has used a collection of Gleaguers and bench-warmers but they've played hard. That's something Diallo excels at, energy, hustle, and rebounding. He gets up for missed shots and pushes in transition. Also, major ups, off one and two, he's explosive.

Yeah, streaky range shooter, and his 3pt shot is suspect, but this deal is great for DET -- they can offer a reasonable contract to Diallo. Keep in mind pick they used to facilitate the trade is six-years away, a kid who is in 12 / 13 years old right now. ( For reference Svi was a No. 47 pick, Diallo was a No. 45).

OKC gets a player which will project a smaller contract and another asset for any further trade. Their MO is max Shai and get lots of FA flexibility to get a second star.
-Clav
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 11,293
And1: 4,676
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#105 » by Kilo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:36 am

Piston Pete wrote:
Kilo wrote:Diallo ain't a point guard.


Watch tape on him from this season.


Doesn't mean he's a point guard or will ever play it here over any of Hayes, Wright, Smith Jr or Lee. He's a 2/3, and probably sees most of his court time backing up Bey at SF the ROS.

I don't know what necessitated OKC playing him there - injuries and/or his total inability to shoot and they grasping at straws to try anything.
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,583
And1: 489
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#106 » by Piston Pete » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:47 am

Picture him in a similar role as Bruce Brown.

Basically a SG that can play some point and some SF if needed.

I personally like his potential as a PG more than his potential as a SG - at least until/if he develops a better 3-ball.
SamFlow
Senior
Posts: 719
And1: 150
Joined: Feb 21, 2001
     

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#107 » by SamFlow » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:39 am

flow wrote:For those who've been crapping on Svi all year, please don't complain about lack of 3 pt shooting moving forward. Yes, his shooting has been erratic this season, but he had many more efficient shooting nights than this board wants to admit, for some reason. He also knows how to play within the offense, which is something that's taken for granted. With consistent minutes, he's averaging 5 assists, 4 rebounds & 2 steals in March, and shooting above 40% from 3.


I liked him more than luke kennard when taking injuries into account. Not athletic, not the kind of player leadership wants.

Lot's of athletes... Now he has to prove they can teach these guys how to shoot.

Havn't watched any games. Sekou needs some dog in him. Worried we gonna give up on him too soon and not even try to develop his skills.
BigDaddyJungle
SamFlow
Senior
Posts: 719
And1: 150
Joined: Feb 21, 2001
     

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#108 » by SamFlow » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:41 am

Piston Pete wrote:Picture him in a similar role as Bruce Brown.

Basically a SG that can play some point and some SF if needed.

I personally like his potential as a PG more than his potential as a SG - at least until/if he develops a better 3-ball.


Before Ben Wallace blew up, the celtics had him in camp as a Shooting Guard. ..... Ben Wallace, the shooting guard. lmao
BigDaddyJungle
SamFlow
Senior
Posts: 719
And1: 150
Joined: Feb 21, 2001
     

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#109 » by SamFlow » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:45 am

BJK1 wrote:https://oklahoman.com/article/5682430/carlson-heres-the-case-for-thunder-guard-hamidou-diallo-as-nbas-most-improved-player



A year ago, such a prospect would’ve terrified anyone who loves the Thunder. Diallo leading the offense? Initiating plays? Making decisions? The results wouldn’t have been great.

But in those four games without any of the Thunder’s point guards, Diallo’s averages have been better than his season averages. He’s scoring more points (13.3), grabbing more rebounds (8.0) and dishing more assists (5.0).

What’s more, he’s only had seven turnovers combined in those four games.
BigDaddyJungle
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 11,293
And1: 4,676
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#110 » by Kilo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:19 pm

SamFlow wrote:
flow wrote:For those who've been crapping on Svi all year, please don't complain about lack of 3 pt shooting moving forward. Yes, his shooting has been erratic this season, but he had many more efficient shooting nights than this board wants to admit, for some reason. He also knows how to play within the offense, which is something that's taken for granted. With consistent minutes, he's averaging 5 assists, 4 rebounds & 2 steals in March, and shooting above 40% from 3.


I liked him more than luke kennard when taking injuries into account. Not athletic, not the kind of player leadership wants.

Lot's of athletes... Now he has to prove they can teach these guys how to shoot.

Havn't watched any games. Sekou needs some dog in him. Worried we gonna give up on him too soon and not even try to develop his skills.


Detroit will likely be saved from giving up on Doumbouya too soon by his value being so low that there is no reason not to ride it out for another season with him, or at least another off-season. I do agree he doesn't seem to have any "dog" in him, it's actually my biggest concern with his (lack 0f) development - he could be a head down rim runner and give 100% effort on defense right now for minutes. He's so lost out there though that Casey can't play him and then look the rest of the players in the eye and claim Pistons are trying to win. He can't look the other guys in the eye and say the playing time is earned. Sekou should have been in the G-League this season, but Gores decided $500,000 bubble fee was too expensive.
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 22,760
And1: 2,720
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#111 » by bstein14 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:00 pm

The only way I see Sekou getting 20+ minutes per game to finish out the season is if Plumlee gets traded at the deadline. Or Grant of course. If not, I agree with posts above that its hard to say you're going out there trying to win and its also bad for team morale to play a guy too much if he isn't out there working hard. You can be bad and still play if you play hard. Look at Stewart he isn't polished at all (although getting better as the season goes on) and he had a spot in the rotation right away because he plays so hard.
DetroitSho
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,625
And1: 1,623
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#112 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:12 pm

Reading this thread becomes way more hilarious combined with reading the trade thread that actually brought us Svi. Even has a certain someone who's claiming Weaver got robbed because he gave up a 2nd in this trade crying then that they were done with the Pistons because all we got was a 2nd and Svi for Bullock.

Are 2nds the maven of draft capital or no? You guys gotta choose. I swear some Piston fans don't know what tf they want outta life.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
flow
Starter
Posts: 2,404
And1: 1,539
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#113 » by flow » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:17 pm

Other than the fact that he can't shoot, I like his game. But make no mistake, it's not just 3's that give him trouble. It's all not-at-the-rim shooting.
User avatar
vege
RealGM
Posts: 15,589
And1: 1,780
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Fire Troy Weaver

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#114 » by vege » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm

DetroitSho wrote:Reading this thread becomes way more hilarious combined with reading the trade thread that actually brought us Svi. Even has a certain someone who's claiming Weaver got robbed because he gave up a 2nd in this trade crying then that they were done with the Pistons because all we got was a 2nd and Svi for Bullock.

Are 2nds the maven of draft capital or no? You guys gotta choose. I swear some Piston fans don't know what tf they want outta life.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Hilarius is taking things out of context.
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 11,591
And1: 4,663
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#115 » by zeebneeb » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:28 pm

DetroitSho wrote:Reading this thread becomes way more hilarious combined with reading the trade thread that actually brought us Svi. Even has a certain someone who's claiming Weaver got robbed because he gave up a 2nd in this trade crying then that they were done with the Pistons because all we got was a 2nd and Svi for Bullock.

Are 2nds the maven of draft capital or no? You guys gotta choose. I swear some Piston fans don't know what tf they want outta life.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Yup, and they also think Weaver drinks blood, and is the worst thing since the devil.

There is no pleasing some people, and that's just how it is. At some point it will be a tree falling in the woods scenario for them, wondering why no one is responding. There's only so much "bad news" people can take before that ignore (foe) button starts to loom large.

Balance is key.
DetroitSho
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,625
And1: 1,623
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#116 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:56 pm

vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Reading this thread becomes way more hilarious combined with reading the trade thread that actually brought us Svi. Even has a certain someone who's claiming Weaver got robbed because he gave up a 2nd in this trade crying then that they were done with the Pistons because all we got was a 2nd and Svi for Bullock.

Are 2nds the maven of draft capital or no? You guys gotta choose. I swear some Piston fans don't know what tf they want outta life.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Hilarius is taking things out of context.
Hilarious is how hit dogs holler.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 9,453
And1: 1,169
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#117 » by thesack12 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:03 pm

vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Reading this thread becomes way more hilarious combined with reading the trade thread that actually brought us Svi. Even has a certain someone who's claiming Weaver got robbed because he gave up a 2nd in this trade crying then that they were done with the Pistons because all we got was a 2nd and Svi for Bullock.

Are 2nds the maven of draft capital or no? You guys gotta choose. I swear some Piston fans don't know what tf they want outta life.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Hilarius is taking things out of context.


Its completely out of context.

The situation then was quite different at that time.

1) At the time, Detroit hadn't traded away their 2nd rounders for the next 7 seasons, which is where they are now.
2) At the time, Bullock was fresh off being the 2nd best 3 point shooter in the entire league, and was making a mere $2.5 mil. In other words, he was valuable.

To try and tie in the reactions of the 2 trades together, is a short sighted exercise since no context was used.
DetroitSho
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,625
And1: 1,623
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#118 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:41 pm

thesack12 wrote:
vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Reading this thread becomes way more hilarious combined with reading the trade thread that actually brought us Svi. Even has a certain someone who's claiming Weaver got robbed because he gave up a 2nd in this trade crying then that they were done with the Pistons because all we got was a 2nd and Svi for Bullock.

Are 2nds the maven of draft capital or no? You guys gotta choose. I swear some Piston fans don't know what tf they want outta life.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Hilarius is taking things out of context.


Its completely out of context.

The situation then was quite different at that time.

1) At the time, Detroit hadn't traded away their 2nd rounders for the next 7 seasons, which is where they are now.
2) At the time, Bullock was fresh off being the 2nd best 3 point shooter in the entire league, and was making a mere $2.5 mil. In other words, he was valuable.

To try and tie in the reactions of the 2 trades together, is a short sighted exercise since no context was used.
What context is needed? If you say you're done with the team if X happens, then X happens.....be gone mf. No context necessary.

And Bullock at the time of that trade was not much different than Ellington a month or so ago. The only context needed is some y'all need to stop using recency bias when assigning value to the team's assets. The league knew who Bullock was then and knew who Ellington was a few weeks back. Further context such as who are the potential suitors for that asset and what would they reasonably have to offer would also make sense.

But naw, let's just assume Detroit got the short end of every deal. Just because, well you know, because....

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
vege
RealGM
Posts: 15,589
And1: 1,780
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Fire Troy Weaver

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#119 » by vege » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 pm

thesack12 wrote:
vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Reading this thread becomes way more hilarious combined with reading the trade thread that actually brought us Svi. Even has a certain someone who's claiming Weaver got robbed because he gave up a 2nd in this trade crying then that they were done with the Pistons because all we got was a 2nd and Svi for Bullock.

Are 2nds the maven of draft capital or no? You guys gotta choose. I swear some Piston fans don't know what tf they want outta life.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Hilarius is taking things out of context.


Its completely out of context.

The situation then was quite different at that time.

1) At the time, Detroit hadn't traded away their 2nd rounders for the next 7 seasons, which is where they are now.
2) At the time, Bullock was fresh off being the 2nd best 3 point shooter in the entire league, and was making a mere $2.5 mil. In other words, he was valuable.

To try and tie in the reactions of the 2 trades together, is a short sighted exercise since no context was used.


It's not worth wasting time and energy with that kind of poster, foe list is one of the best things they added to this boards.
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,583
And1: 489
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#120 » by Piston Pete » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:31 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
But naw, let's just assume Detroit got the short end of every deal. Just because, well you know, because....

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Or to be completely fair, it might have something to do with our losing Drummond, Blake, Rose, and Wood - all for basically nothing within the last year.

And suddenly, we are the 2nd worst team in the league.

Return to Detroit Pistons