ImageImageImage

Svi traded for Diallo

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Snakebites

Billl
Veteran
Posts: 2,907
And1: 1,241
Joined: Sep 06, 2013

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#81 » by Billl » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:51 pm

You know who is considered the best player in the trade league wide just by looking at the headlines. They all read Diallo was traded.

Anyway, the kid can play. Fantastic athlete that plays hard and has been putting in work to improve each year. Definitely fits the weaver mold, so it wouldn't be at all surprising if he actually is part of our core going forward.
LaSheed
Pro Prospect
Posts: 796
And1: 273
Joined: Jun 02, 2016
       

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#82 » by LaSheed » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:36 pm

Ah yes Saben Lee was a 2nd round pick......that Troy Weaver traded for just like 90% of the league did.

2nd round picks are now your childhood ex girlfriend that you've just realized everybody has been with and can get anytime you want it.

Then again Weaver could acquire LeBron and you guys would complain about it. I liked Svi but he was a flaming pile of dog poo this season.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 31,744
And1: 18,396
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
 

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#83 » by MotownMadness » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:49 pm

Nice, all I know about Diallo is from his draft year when I was scouting guys. He's a athletic freak who was very raw everywhere else.

If he's starting to develop a good skillset to go with that athleticism then he could be really good.

And yeah quit whining about 2nds, hell last year I don't think we even had any future 2nds for a while. They're easy to get especially on draft night.
flow
Starter
Posts: 2,404
And1: 1,539
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#84 » by flow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:34 pm

For those who've been crapping on Svi all year, please don't complain about lack of 3 pt shooting moving forward. Yes, his shooting has been erratic this season, but he had many more efficient shooting nights than this board wants to admit, for some reason. He also knows how to play within the offense, which is something that's taken for granted. With consistent minutes, he's averaging 5 assists, 4 rebounds & 2 steals in March, and shooting above 40% from 3.
Moses ShamMoses
Veteran
Posts: 2,649
And1: 934
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
   

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#85 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:28 pm

If we're worried about shooting at the 2 guard spot we still have Wayne Ellington. Wayne and Svi are pretty redundant actually with what they bring to a team. Wayne is the better, more consistent shooter though.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 63,226
And1: 8,277
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#86 » by Manocad » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:43 pm

I like Svi in the sense that he has a good attitude and I think he tried his best. But clearly he was what he was--not consistently good enough to hold down decent minutes. So try out another guy at the expense of a second rounder six years from now? Sure, it's not like losing Svi somehow makes the team worse and has been said, second round draft picks can be gotten fairly easily.

I don't know a damn thing about Diallo. And anyone who thinks they know more about him than Weaver is just kidding themselves.
Image
Sort
Junior
Posts: 472
And1: 110
Joined: Jan 10, 2010

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#87 » by Sort » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:50 pm

Maybe a change of scenery (and the presumed sense of urgency) will help him lock in with that shot. I think the likelihood is that Svi will be playing well in Europe next year or the year after. Nothing wrong with that - still an amazing basketball player, just not at the NBA level.

Manocad makes a fair point that Weaver has done his research here, and well, Weaver's track record is speaking for itself. I'm open.
flow
Starter
Posts: 2,404
And1: 1,539
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#88 » by flow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:01 pm

Sort wrote:Maybe a change of scenery (and the presumed sense of urgency) will help him lock in with that shot. I think the likelihood is that Svi will be playing well in Europe next year or the year after. Nothing wrong with that - still an amazing basketball player, just not at the NBA level.

Manocad makes a fair point that Weaver has done his research here, and well, Weaver's track record is speaking for itself. I'm open.


Let's slow down just a bit on Weaver. Some promising moves, yes. On the other hand, Hayes & DSJ aren't putting him in the GM Hall of Fame.
BJK1
Senior
Posts: 542
And1: 250
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#89 » by BJK1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:54 pm

Read on Twitter
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 8,531
And1: 2,336
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#90 » by DBC10 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

I also like the fact that we're not shy with dealing with OKC. OKC is currently loaded with picks and young guys. They're going to be parting ways with them rather than keep all of their young guys anyways. Might as well fly in and scoop up the ones they have available.

That and Weaver was quite literally there so he has seen these guys play. Both Diallo and Grant
User avatar
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,673
And1: 322
Joined: Jun 12, 2007
Location: Grand Rapids
       

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#91 » by Phobo_Phile » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:36 pm

JohnReese wrote:We are gonna regret that move. I can see Svi having a Joe Harris career in Oklahoma and we could have extended him for a very low amount.


I respectfully disagree. The main chasm between Svi and a Joe Harris type is all physical. Joe Harris has bulked up considerably since he was drafted, but he's also tallers with a much longer wingspan thus making Joe Harris a much more competent defender with a shot that's harder to contest.
User avatar
Han Solo
General Manager
Posts: 9,371
And1: 6,822
Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Contact:
     

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#92 » by Han Solo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:13 pm

flow wrote:
Sort wrote:Maybe a change of scenery (and the presumed sense of urgency) will help him lock in with that shot. I think the likelihood is that Svi will be playing well in Europe next year or the year after. Nothing wrong with that - still an amazing basketball player, just not at the NBA level.

Manocad makes a fair point that Weaver has done his research here, and well, Weaver's track record is speaking for itself. I'm open.


Let's slow down just a bit on Weaver. Some promising moves, yes. On the other hand, Hayes & DSJ aren't putting him in the GM Hall of Fame.


He’s been been great. Give me a break. RealGm is the biggest drag for Pistons fans. What the hell happened to this place.. for once things are looking up. We’re getting exactly what we’ve all wanted for years and people still are Debbie downers.

Pistons are fun to watch. Haven’t been able to say that in a long time.
BJK1
Senior
Posts: 542
And1: 250
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#94 » by BJK1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BJK1
Senior
Posts: 542
And1: 250
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#95 » by BJK1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JohnReese
Senior
Posts: 516
And1: 252
Joined: Feb 15, 2016
   

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#96 » by JohnReese » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:54 pm

Phobo_Phile wrote:
JohnReese wrote:We are gonna regret that move. I can see Svi having a Joe Harris career in Oklahoma and we could have extended him for a very low amount.


I respectfully disagree. The main chasm between Svi and a Joe Harris type is all physical. Joe Harris has bulked up considerably since he was drafted, but he's also tallers with a much longer wingspan thus making Joe Harris a much more competent defender with a shot that's harder to contest.



6.6 wingspan both and Svi is taller.

Joe at 23 was barely playing in the Cavs and the next season with the Nets he was having a season pretty similar to the last year of Svi.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,934
And1: 3,596
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#97 » by Pharaoh » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:00 am

Yet we stretched Smith

I'm all for taking a shot at young athletic wings but let's not forget we had one that may or may not amount to something and dumped him without a second thought.
BJK1 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter


Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,583
And1: 489
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#98 » by Piston Pete » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:33 am

Diallo / Lee
Ellington / Jackson
Bey / Jackson
Grant / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart

Then when Hayes is healthy:
Hayes / Lee
Diallo / Jackson
Jackson / Bey
Grant / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 11,591
And1: 4,663
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#99 » by zeebneeb » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:09 am

Piston Pete wrote:Diallo / Lee
Ellington / Jackson
Bey / Jackson
Grant / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart

Then when Hayes is healthy:
Hayes / Lee
Diallo / Jackson
Jackson / Bey
Grant / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart
No way no how Bey gets benched. He is having a hell of a rookie year. Jackson will be coming off the bench, or starting at the 2.
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 11,293
And1: 4,676
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#100 » by Kilo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:48 am

Diallo ain't a point guard.

Return to Detroit Pistons