General Manager
And1: 2,799

Re: GAME 45: Pistons @ Wizards 8PM 

Post#61 » by DBC10 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:57 pm

chrbal wrote:
Manocad wrote:
chrbal wrote:
“Left quad contusion”

Perfect! Sit him for the rest of the season!

I’m legitimately hoping that Grant and Plumlee suddenly come up with a lot or random mysterious injuries.

Also interested to how Diallo and Hayes affect how McGruder, Joseph, and Ellington are used going forward.

At this point why not? We're legitimately at the inflection point in the season where teams empty out their roster and dial up the tankathon after the 8th seed is out of reach. Looking at teams like Orlando, Cavs, and Washington

It's going to get really competitive for the race to the bottom 3
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#62 » by thesack12 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:16 pm

Manocad wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Just curious, who was even talking about Grant? This was about Wood. I've seen Grant contribute to a winning situation. I've seen Wood put up stats.

Grant is already known and accepted around these parts as a glue guy, high level role player. So clearly he's miscast right now. Wood is known as the Unicorn savior around these parts. If you go back and add on the end of last year when he became the starter and getting big minutes, the record is even worse. He puts up good numbers but he's not shown to impact winning much at all.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

MANY people on this board incessantly talking about how much they'd rather have Grant over Wood and bashed anyone who thought otherwise. Grant and Wood were always going to be compared to each other moving forward.

MANY people of this board were crowning Grant to be a destined superstar after like 10 games. With Grant, people were even on here talking about Detroit being ready to compete after this upcoming draft.

As an important piece of a rotation, We've seen Grant contribute to winning for 1 season. This while being Denver's 4th or 5th best player. So let's not act like he has some kind of storied pedigree.

In Detroit, Grant has proven that he's not capable of elevating a team as a top option. He started out hot, but has been bad for 2 solid months now. Unless you solely want to count PPG which is a hollow stat in context of the entirety of the situation.

So yeah, when people start to downplay Wood's performance and effectiveness I don't think its out of bounds to bring up Grant.

I'm not seeing any incessant insistence that the Pistons are better with Grant than Wood and certainly not from many people. I see a lot more insistence of the opposite. Wood is gone. People need to get over it.

I guess you are currently struggling to remember the board discussion from December/January.

The reason you haven't been seeing it recently is because Grant has been exposed.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#63 » by thesack12 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 pm

DBC10 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
Manocad wrote:Perfect! Sit him for the rest of the season!

I’m legitimately hoping that Grant and Plumlee suddenly come up with a lot or random mysterious injuries.

Also interested to how Diallo and Hayes affect how McGruder, Joseph, and Ellington are used going forward.

At this point why not? We're legitimately at the inflection point in the season where teams empty out their roster and dial up the tankathon after the 8th seed is out of reach. Looking at teams like Orlando, Cavs, and Washington

It's going to get really competitive for the race to the bottom 3

Yep, at this point and hangnail should be serious enough of an injury to miss a game or two.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#64 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:22 pm

thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Christian Wood: 21.5 PPG on 55.1 FG% and 37.9 3PT%, 9.8 RPG, 1.3 APG with a PER of 23.25 in 31.0 minutes per game
Jerami Grant: 23.0 PPG on 42.6 FG% and 35.3 3PT%, 4.9 RPG, 2.8 APG with a PER of 17.54 in 35.2 minuter per game

Its also worth noting that Wood didn't play in the first 17 games of Houston's 20 game losing streak. Overall They are 9-14 with him, and 4-18 without him.

So in my opinion if we are starting to float the empty stats label onto Wood, Grant is already FIRMLY in that territory.
Just curious, who was even talking about Grant? This was about Wood. I've seen Grant contribute to a winning situation. I've seen Wood put up stats.

Grant is already known and accepted around these parts as a glue guy, high level role player. So clearly he's miscast right now. Wood is known as the Unicorn savior around these parts. If you go back and add on the end of last year when he became the starter and getting big minutes, the record is even worse. He puts up good numbers but he's not shown to impact winning much at all.

MANY people on this board incessantly talking about how much they'd rather have Grant over Wood and bashed anyone who thought otherwise. Grant and Wood were always going to be compared to each other moving forward.

MANY people of this board were crowning Grant to be a destined superstar after like 10 games. With Grant, people were even on here talking about Detroit being ready to compete after this upcoming draft.

As an important piece of a rotation, We've seen Grant contribute to winning for 1 season. This while being Denver's 4th or 5th best player. So let's not act like he has some kind of storied pedigree.

In Detroit, Grant has proven that he's not capable of elevating a team as a top option. He started out hot, but has been bad for 2 solid months now. Unless you solely want to count PPG which is a hollow stat in context of the entirety of the situation.

So yeah, when people start to downplay Wood's performance and effectiveness I don't think its out of bounds to bring up Grant.
This whole post is a flat out lie. It's just unbelievably untrue. Just, why lie to make a point?

thesack12
RealGM

Post#65 » by thesack12 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:46 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Just curious, who was even talking about Grant? This was about Wood. I've seen Grant contribute to a winning situation. I've seen Wood put up stats.

This whole post is a flat out lie. It's just unbelievably untrue. Just, why lie to make a point?

Whatever you say bro.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#66 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:29 pm

thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Whatever you say bro.
Not whatever I say, it's what it is. NOBODY said Grant was a superstar. People were pleasantly surprised at his growth and praised Weaver for seeing what none of us saw. And at the same time, the conversation was around how much we could get in return for him with his value being high.

Please don't create fake arguing points. Everybody knows Grant is a high level #3. Wood is referred to as a Unicorn. One that apparently if you let leave out the door you're eternally damned. I would think the expectation would be slightly higher, no?

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#67 » by Piston Pete » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:37 pm

Rest/release Ellington for the rest of this season

Rest Plumlee and Grant for the rest of this season.

Play all the kids big minutes.

Let’s see if any of them surprise us and show us something.

If not, at least we’ll know what we have and will help the tank.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#68 » by Manocad » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:45 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I'm not seeing any incessant insistence that the Pistons are better with Grant than Wood and certainly not from many people. I see a lot more insistence of the opposite. Wood is gone. People need to get over it.

I guess you are currently struggling to remember the board discussion from December/January.

The reason you haven't been seeing it recently is because Grant has been exposed.

Nope. Not struggling to remember anything. I wouldn't have to "remember" something that happened in the past if was incessant because by definition it would still be occurring. Which it's not.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#69 » by thesack12 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 pm

Its not hard to search the board archive folks
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#70 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:35 pm

thesack12 wrote:Its not hard to search the board archive folks
And since the burden of proof is on you, get to the archives and post proof.

440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#71 » by 440BB » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:05 pm

My recollection of the Wood Grant comparison is that most of the positive Grant posts were about him fitting Weaver's preference for defense and most of the Wood negative posts were about a small sample size on a weak team. I don't recall posts claiming Grant was a far better player, mostly posts about how we overpaid Grant versus Wood.

When it comes to incessant bashing it has been mostly toward Weaver, that he didn't keep Wood and overpaid Grant, and it continues.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#72 » by Manocad » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:32 pm

440BB wrote:My recollection of the Wood Grant comparison is that most of the positive Grant posts were about him fitting Weaver's preference for defense and most of the Wood negative posts were about a small sample size on a weak team. I don't recall posts claiming Grant was a far better player, mostly posts about how we overpaid Grant versus Wood.

When it comes to incessant bashing it has been mostly toward Weaver, that he didn't keep Wood and overpaid Grant, and it continues.

Bingo
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#73 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:39 pm

440BB wrote:My recollection of the Wood Grant comparison is that most of the positive Grant posts were about him fitting Weaver's preference for defense and most of the Wood negative posts were about a small sample size on a weak team. I don't recall posts claiming Grant was a far better player, mostly posts about how we overpaid Grant versus Wood.

100%

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#74 » by zeebneeb » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:17 pm

Well that's an interesting attempt to make up a narrative. Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember anyone saying that Grant was better then Wood, or if that anyone even compared them.

Should Weaver have kept Wood? Yup, I believe so and I have even bemoaned the fact that he let him go on several occasions but enough is enough with Wood. It's done, let's move forward and see what the future brings.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#75 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:40 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Well that's an interesting attempt to make up a narrative. Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember anyone saying that Grant was better then Wood, or if that anyone even compared them.

Should Weaver have kept Wood? Yup, I believe so and I have even bemoaned the fact that he let him go on several occasions but enough is enough with Wood. It's done, let's move forward and see what the future brings.
Yeah he tried it.

Return to Detroit Pistons