ImageImageImage

GAME 45: Pistons @ Wizards 8PM

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: GAME 45: Pistons @ Wizards 8PM 

Post#41 » by Manocad » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:17 am

tmorgan wrote:I missed this one. Did Grant get hurt? 19 minutes is not typical.

I've been watching, admittedly with only mild interest, and there was nothing I saw or heard about him being hurt.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#42 » by Snakebites » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:20 am

Manocad wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Manocad wrote:It's only one game but sure, I think we'd still rather see Minnesota get the win. Which they're not going to, but just relative to preference.

They had 2 games. I’d vastly prefer one team getting both and hopefully some momentum over a split.

Which is what we got.

I took the post as only referring to tonight's game since that was the only game mentioned, BRO

And my comment was that I’d rather see Minny win that game, solely on the basis that they won the previous one.

I realize the post was only talking about that one game.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#43 » by chrbal » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:21 am

“Left quad contusion”
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#44 » by tmorgan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:22 am

Wood didn’t even play tonight. Any word on that?
Manocad
RealGM

Post#45 » by Manocad » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:24 am

chrbal wrote:

“Left quad contusion”

Perfect! Sit him for the rest of the season!
chrbal
RealGM

Post#46 » by chrbal » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:24 am

tmorgan wrote:Wood didn’t even play tonight. Any word on that?

“Right ankle soreness”
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#47 » by tmorgan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:25 am

Man, the rest of this season is gonna be some sketchy isht for the tankers. Feels weird (but good) to actually be one of them for once.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#48 » by tmorgan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 am

Manocad wrote:
chrbal wrote:

“Left quad contusion”

Seriously, though, a little time off and a last chance run for Sekou would be a good idea right now.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,484

Post#49 » by whitehops » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:31 am

not sure if it was because it was a back to back but man we went DEEP in the bench.

10 man rotation plus doumbouya playing five minutes and sirydis coming in for a last minute three pointer. and that's with mcgruder and diallo both out.

plumlee seems a lock to play ~24-28 minutes since stewart is the only other available center. other than that though you have to wonder if they'll dial back the minutes of the vets as the season starts to wind down.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#50 » by chrbal » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:48 am

Manocad wrote:
chrbal wrote:

“Left quad contusion”

I’m legitimately hoping that Grant and Plumlee suddenly come up with a lot or random mysterious injuries.

Also interested to how Diallo and Hayes affect how McGruder, Joseph, and Ellington are used going forward.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Post#51 » by Invictus88 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:25 am

The Moose wrote:
Manocad wrote:Is it just me or has Josh Jackson pretty much reverted back to what I'll call his "career" self, basically a 40%/30% guy? Not to say that he can't still be part of the Pistons' future but the bloom is off the rose a little for me.

agreed, also hes still quite selfish. I don't think he will ever be much more than what he is right now

He just doesn't have proper discipline to take good shots / refrain from driving to the basket when numbers aren't on his side. He also gets bumped too easily off his man by screens / gives up too easily afterwards. It just looks like he is always looking to make the big splash plays on offense and defense instead of aiming to be consistent on both sides of the ball.

He has the athletic ability though. Dude runs like a deer and has good springs... just wish he'd play smarter.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,927

Post#52 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:32 am

tmorgan wrote:GB is old, man. Props to him for broadcasting so long, he’s a legend for sure, but he’s getting a little creaky.

I don't think COVID-19 really agrees with his rhythm.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#53 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:49 am

Manocad wrote:
tmorgan wrote:I think Minny is the better team, and I’m rooting for them to win games because I think there’s at least a slight chance we finish lower than them. Houston is likely a lost cause unless Wood just goes off every night.

Hey, according to some on this board he's a unicorn and not keeping him was the biggest mistake in Pistons' history. So maybe he will.
At this point Wood has to start being in consideration for the "empty stats guy" tag people love to throw around in here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#54 » by thesack12 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:38 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
Manocad wrote:
tmorgan wrote:I think Minny is the better team, and I’m rooting for them to win games because I think there’s at least a slight chance we finish lower than them. Houston is likely a lost cause unless Wood just goes off every night.

Hey, according to some on this board he's a unicorn and not keeping him was the biggest mistake in Pistons' history. So maybe he will.
At this point Wood has to start being in consideration for the "empty stats guy" tag people love to throw around in here.

Christian Wood: 21.5 PPG on 55.1 FG% and 37.9 3PT%, 9.8 RPG, 1.3 APG with a PER of 23.25 in 31.0 minutes per game
Jerami Grant: 23.0 PPG on 42.6 FG% and 35.3 3PT%, 4.9 RPG, 2.8 APG with a PER of 17.54 in 35.2 minuter per game

Its also worth noting that Wood didn't play in the first 17 games of Houston's 20 game losing streak. Overall They are 9-14 with him, and 4-18 without him.

So in my opinion if we are starting to float the empty stats label onto Wood, Grant is already FIRMLY in that territory.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,306

Post#55 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:08 pm

thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
Manocad wrote:Hey, according to some on this board he's a unicorn and not keeping him was the biggest mistake in Pistons' history. So maybe he will.

Christian Wood: 21.5 PPG on 55.1 FG% and 37.9 3PT%, 9.8 RPG, 1.3 APG with a PER of 23.25 in 31.0 minutes per game
Jerami Grant: 23.0 PPG on 42.6 FG% and 35.3 3PT%, 4.9 RPG, 2.8 APG with a PER of 17.54 in 35.2 minuter per game

Its also worth noting that Wood didn't play in the first 17 games of Houston's 20 game losing streak. Overall They are 9-14 with him, and 4-18 without him.

So in my opinion if we are starting to float the empty stats label onto Wood, Grant is already FIRMLY in that territory.

Woods been good hes just had injuries this season. We seen enough of Wood last season to know hes a good player come on now.

Grant started off really hot but as teams started keying on him his efficiency has jumped off a cliff. Grant still good and valuable but hes better suited for the role he had in Den a 3-4 option that focuses on defense and shoots open 3s.

One of my favorite advanced stat system is 538s raptor which puts a bunch of factors together to rate players. Its not perfect as these type of stat gauges always have some weird outlier players that are overanked and underranked but it adds in defense and all kinds of metrics to it. It has Wood 60 and Grant at 74. I imagine Wood is getting docked on it for missing games as he should but he still is 14 spots ahead.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#56 » by bstein14 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:33 pm

I'm all on board with resting/sitting/waiving Ellington, but I think overall we'd be foolish to rest Grant or Plumlee too much. They both can still work on improving their roles and being out there as the two vets that continue to help the young guys. I'm fine with Plumlee playing 24 MPG just splitting time at center with Stewart, but Grant should probably still play at least 30 MPG.

Maybe rest Grant on a few back to backs to get Sekou some more burn.... but overall these last 25 games aren't just about the tank they should also largely be about continuing to build what we have with the players we have.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#57 » by DetroitSho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:52 pm

thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
Manocad wrote:Hey, according to some on this board he's a unicorn and not keeping him was the biggest mistake in Pistons' history. So maybe he will.

Just curious, who was even talking about Grant? This was about Wood. I've seen Grant contribute to a winning situation. I've seen Wood put up stats.

Grant is already known and accepted around these parts as a glue guy, high level role player. So clearly he's miscast right now. Wood is known as the Unicorn savior around these parts. If you go back and add on the end of last year when he became the starter and getting big minutes, the record is even worse. He puts up good numbers but he's not shown to impact winning much at all.

thesack12
RealGM

Post#58 » by thesack12 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:12 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:At this point Wood has to start being in consideration for the "empty stats guy" tag people love to throw around in here.

Just curious, who was even talking about Grant? This was about Wood. I've seen Grant contribute to a winning situation. I've seen Wood put up stats.

Grant is already known and accepted around these parts as a glue guy, high level role player. So clearly he's miscast right now. Wood is known as the Unicorn savior around these parts. If you go back and add on the end of last year when he became the starter and getting big minutes, the record is even worse. He puts up good numbers but he's not shown to impact winning much at all.

MANY people on this board incessantly talking about how much they'd rather have Grant over Wood and bashed anyone who thought otherwise. Grant and Wood were always going to be compared to each other moving forward.

MANY people of this board were crowning Grant to be a destined superstar after like 10 games. With Grant, people were even on here talking about Detroit being ready to compete after this upcoming draft.

As an important piece of a rotation, We've seen Grant contribute to winning for 1 season. This while being Denver's 4th or 5th best player. So let's not act like he has some kind of storied pedigree.

In Detroit, Grant has proven that he's not capable of elevating a team as a top option. He started out hot, but has been bad for 2 solid months now. Unless you solely want to count PPG which is a hollow stat in context of the entirety of the situation.

So yeah, when people start to downplay Wood's performance and effectiveness I don't think its out of bounds to bring up Grant.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#59 » by thesack12 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:20 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:At this point Wood has to start being in consideration for the "empty stats guy" tag people love to throw around in here.

Woods been good hes just had injuries this season. We seen enough of Wood last season to know hes a good player come on now.

Grant started off really hot but as teams started keying on him his efficiency has jumped off a cliff. Grant still good and valuable but hes better suited for the role he had in Den a 3-4 option that focuses on defense and shoots open 3s.

One of my favorite advanced stat system is 538s raptor which puts a bunch of factors together to rate players. Its not perfect as these type of stat gauges always have some weird outlier players that are overanked and underranked but it adds in defense and all kinds of metrics to it. It has Wood 60 and Grant at 74. I imagine Wood is getting docked on it for missing games as he should but he still is 14 spots ahead.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

Admittedly I'm not entirely sure how that system of metrics is constructed, but the most notable thing that stuck out to me is Isaiah Stewart being tied with Grant ranked 74th.

Agree with you on the Wood/Grant comments.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#60 » by Manocad » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:53 pm

thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

MANY people on this board incessantly talking about how much they'd rather have Grant over Wood and bashed anyone who thought otherwise. Grant and Wood were always going to be compared to each other moving forward.

MANY people of this board were crowning Grant to be a destined superstar after like 10 games. With Grant, people were even on here talking about Detroit being ready to compete after this upcoming draft.

As an important piece of a rotation, We've seen Grant contribute to winning for 1 season. This while being Denver's 4th or 5th best player. So let's not act like he has some kind of storied pedigree.

In Detroit, Grant has proven that he's not capable of elevating a team as a top option. He started out hot, but has been bad for 2 solid months now. Unless you solely want to count PPG which is a hollow stat in context of the entirety of the situation.

So yeah, when people start to downplay Wood's performance and effectiveness I don't think its out of bounds to bring up Grant.

I'm not seeing any incessant insistence that the Pistons are better with Grant than Wood and certainly not from many people. I see a lot more insistence of the opposite. Wood is gone. People need to get over it.

Return to Detroit Pistons