ImageImageImage

OKC to sit Al Horford for rest of the season

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

OKC to sit Al Horford for rest of the season 

Post#1 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:21 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31148420/sources-oklahoma-city-thunder-shut-al-horford-seek-offseason-trade

There is debate here that not having Ellington start and playing 25 minutes a night will ruin the reputation of the Pistons for players. Ellington is 33 and on a one year, please let me stay in the league, vet minimum contract.

OKC resting Horford for the season so they can trade him in the off-season.

OKC management gets the obvious tank job and their team is actually pretty good. Pistons start McGruder, Ellington, Bey, Grant, Plumlee lineups :lol: :lol: :lol:

Develop those 30 year olds with the 12-32 record.

But no one should be surprised when the same thing happened last year: Brandon Knight, McRae, Galloway, Wood, Henson starting lineups.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Re: OKC to sit Al Horford for rest of the season 

Post#2 » by Canadafan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:55 pm

As long as we lose its all good imo. We need the best possible shot at getting a top draft pick. No messin around.
When I saw McGruder and Ellington as our starting backcourt I was all smiles. Cause they're garbage. Not like they're playing huge minutes either
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:11 am

They are 7 wins ahead of us with a relatively middling strength of remaining schedule.

Just keep our fingers crossed I guess.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#4 » by Manocad » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:10 am

I don't see any debate about Ellington not playing ruining the Pistons' reputation relative to drawing free agent vets at the time they're actually needed as part of the rebuild. It was suggested and more than one poster, including me, disagreed. But a debate has not occurred. And quite frankly given Horford's age and OKC's current record, they may as well sit him for the rest of the season. It's not really much different than Blake getting shut down in order to maintain his value to another team thus making a buyout an option.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#5 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:44 am

It is getting to the point where tanking teams are going to sit some vets. I'd like to see us shut down Ellington as his hot shooting can randomly win us a game or two we shouldnt win.

We need Killian back. Getting him in there should really help the tank.
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#6 » by DNice68 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:18 am

buzzkilloton wrote:It is getting to the point where tanking teams are going to sit some vets. I'd like to see us shut down Ellington as his hot shooting can randomly win us a game or two we shouldnt win.

We need Killian back. Getting him in there should really help the tank.

Killian will be back in about a week and a half.
Scottgaf
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#7 » by Scottgaf » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:23 pm

This type of stuff drives me nuts. If i had season tickets there id turn them in.

I get playing tounger guys more minutes, but sitting guys out to lose games? This league is losing credibility as a professional sport.

There is really zero point to the season. I think there should be team bonuses for finishing well based on wins.

Take a portion of cap and have it spread amongst all the teams. Players would get paid on how well their team does. That would at least get these guys to play harder.

In order to get teams from tanking, they could do a similar model with the tv money. Teams that fail to win would get less of a cut.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#8 » by DetroitSho » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:53 pm

Scottgaf wrote:This type of stuff drives me nuts. If i had season tickets there id turn them in.

I get playing tounger guys more minutes, but sitting guys out to lose games? This league is losing credibility as a professional sport.

There is really zero point to the season. I think there should be team bonuses for finishing well based on wins.

Take a portion of cap and have it spread amongst all the teams. Players would get paid on how well their team does. That would at least get these guys to play harder.

In order to get teams from tanking, they could do a similar model with the tv money. Teams that fail to win would get less of a cut.
C'mon man, who tf is turning in season tickets because you can't see Horford play?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#9 » by johanliebert » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:53 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
Scottgaf wrote:This type of stuff drives me nuts. If i had season tickets there id turn them in.

C'mon man, who tf is turning in season tickets because you can't see Horford play?

People who paid to watch a competitive team.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#10 » by DetroitSho » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:06 pm

johanliebert wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:

Yep, Al Horford is definitely that line of delineation between competitive and non competitive for the Thunder. Gotcha.

Scottgaf
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#11 » by Scottgaf » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:25 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
johanliebert wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:C'mon man, who tf is turning in season tickets because you can't see Horford play?

Yep, Al Horford is definitely that line of delineation between competitive and non competitive for the Thunder. Gotcha.

It has nothing to do with Horford. Its about me paying $200 a ticket to watch a team who isnt even playing the guys who make my seat cost so much.

If you want to play the minoreague team, then I should be paying minor league seat prices. Im not wasting hard earned money to watch a team tank, period.

I wouldnt ever buy season tickets for an NBA team.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#12 » by Manocad » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:44 pm

Scottgaf wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
johanliebert wrote:People who paid to watch a competitive team.

It has nothing to do with Horford. Its about me paying $200 a ticket to watch a team who isnt even playing the guys who make my seat cost so much.

If you want to play the minoreague team, then I should be paying minor league seat prices. Im not wasting hard earned money to watch a team tank, period.

Bingo
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#13 » by DetroitSho » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:40 pm

Scottgaf wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
johanliebert wrote:People who paid to watch a competitive team.

Ok

Return to Detroit Pistons