ImageImageImage

Josh Jackson or Diallo

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Snakebites

User avatar
guldakot
Junior
Posts: 346
And1: 170
Joined: Jul 10, 2015
     

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#21 » by guldakot » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:08 am

Snakebites wrote:
guldakot wrote:
Snakebites wrote:They play different positions, but neither is a starter and they really can't play together- neither of them can shoot well enough for that.

I agree there's no need to choose though, at least not at this time. We're rebuilding, not looking to build a playoff viable roster (yet). Either one has a chance to be an asset.

I personally really don't like Josh Jackson as a player though- I'd be okay with him being gone to be honest. He's just not a guy I believe in to figure it out, seems like a bit of a head case.

My hope is that JJ can eventually turn into a Jordan Clarkson instant offense player off the bench with the added bonus of decent defense.

Diallo on the other hand I firmly believe can be a solid starter+ bordering on allstar level in this league, in the vein of an Oladipo. He has a tremendous distance to go of course, but he looks to have that it factor in terms of both effort and skill, and was trending in the right direction while with OKC. At the very minimum defense alone hes on KCP's level, and could end up being better. He needs to develop his shooting obviously, but he will have plenty of time/opportunity here.

Unless that god-awful 27% from three improves he's not suitable even for that role.


Not necessarily, you don't have to be a 3 point shooter to be instant offense, JJ is very good at driving and drawing fouls. He takes way to many 3s for his skill level, the corner 3 is the only one he should be taking.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 37,398
And1: 7,741
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#22 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:18 am

guldakot wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
guldakot wrote:My hope is that JJ can eventually turn into a Jordan Clarkson instant offense player off the bench with the added bonus of decent defense.

Diallo on the other hand I firmly believe can be a solid starter+ bordering on allstar level in this league, in the vein of an Oladipo. He has a tremendous distance to go of course, but he looks to have that it factor in terms of both effort and skill, and was trending in the right direction while with OKC. At the very minimum defense alone hes on KCP's level, and could end up being better. He needs to develop his shooting obviously, but he will have plenty of time/opportunity here.

Unless that god-awful 27% from three improves he's not suitable even for that role.


Not necessarily, you don't have to be a 3 point shooter to be instant offense, JJ is very good at driving and drawing fouls. He takes way to many 3s for his skill level, the corner 3 is the only one he should be taking.

He’s awful at all types of threes at 27 percent. Which might have been acceptable 15 years ago but not anymore.

You don’t have to be Klay Thompson, but you need more than 27 percent unless you’re singularly gifted in other areas. Even a relative non-shooter like Jordan Clarkson still manages 35 percent. Not great by any means but commands at least a little respect out there from opposing defenses. And it’s not just about the extra production/efficiency that even passable 3 point shooting gives you. Spacing is king.
kellmellus50
Starter
Posts: 2,131
And1: 90
Joined: Dec 05, 2008

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#23 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:56 pm

Dump Cook after the 2nd 10 day contract he's just taking up space.
You have to live,dance,party,and always have fun with everyone.http://buzzlamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/sbBoob1.gif
Southern Piston
Senior
Posts: 537
And1: 60
Joined: Jun 20, 2008
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#24 » by Southern Piston » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:00 pm

I always wanted us to have a couple hometown kids filling the rotation in winning days, Om hoping he sees the light; becomes more efficient and improves his shooting, I’m fine with chip on his shoulder, it seems like it is what drives him, but that said He is obviously is years behind in where could be be if he would have honed in years ago.
DET_Athletics
Senior
Posts: 607
And1: 105
Joined: Dec 17, 2014
       

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#25 » by DET_Athletics » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:07 pm

Keep Diallo, trade Jackson in the off-season with Okafor, fillers and low picks for Bagley. That's if we end up winning the lottery or getting the 3rd pick.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
tmorgan
General Manager
Posts: 8,679
And1: 3,734
Joined: Feb 04, 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
   

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#26 » by tmorgan » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:16 pm

Jackson may be slightly more talented than Diallo, but the motor, consistency and bbiq difference sway me towards Diallo. Diallo needs a better shot to be a good player. Josh needs a better brain, which I’m guessing is tougher to develop.
edmunder_prc
Pro Prospect
Posts: 916
And1: 480
Joined: Dec 06, 2015
   

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#27 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:43 am

Neither work very well in the modern NBA. They can't shoot. If Ben Simmons is hard to build around and he is a tier below All-Nba talent, how can a team build around Diallo as a starting SG and be a top team?

If your SG can't shoot, you need elite shooting from everyone else.

Saben Lee
Josh Jackson
Diallo
Grant
Plumlee

Those guys were out there together at one point and the Knicks just played zone or crowded the paint.

4 guys who can't shoot is a broken lineup with the athleticism and defenses of the modern NBA.

I like Diallo and Josh Jackson a lot because they play hard, but they are both very flawed players. Josh at least isnt being paid much, what will Diallo think he is worth? Probably a lot more.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 31,744
And1: 18,396
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
 

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#28 » by MotownMadness » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:47 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Neither work very well in the modern NBA. They can't shoot. If Ben Simmons is hard to build around and he is a tier below All-Nba talent, how can a team build around Diallo as a starting SG and be a top team?

If your SG can't shoot, you need elite shooting from everyone else.

Saben Lee
Josh Jackson
Diallo
Grant
Plumlee

Those guys were out there together at one point and the Knicks just played zone or crowded the paint.

4 guys who can't shoot is a broken lineup with the athleticism and defenses of the modern NBA.

I like Diallo and Josh Jackson a lot because they play hard, but they are both very flawed players. Josh at least isnt being paid much, what will Diallo think he is worth? Probably a lot more.

Small volume but Diallo has been hitting his 3s here.
Billl
Veteran
Posts: 2,907
And1: 1,241
Joined: Sep 06, 2013

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#29 » by Billl » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:09 pm

I think both will be back. Weaver has been pretty clear that he wants to bring in great athletes that play hard and let them work on their jumpshots. Obviously, you don't get 10 years to show some improvement, but I think both of them will get a long look. Neither has even had a real off season here to devote to skill development.
vic
Starter
Posts: 2,238
And1: 835
Joined: Dec 27, 2012

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#30 » by vic » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:41 pm

I say keep them both and draft a couple of shooters with athleticism that they can mentor and eventually replace them or push them down in the rotation.

Benedict Mathurin - solid wing
Kessler Edwards - potential 2 way wing
Trey Murphy - 3 point wing

These are guys that all could be available round 2.

If their shot picks up, they get the minutes. If the rookie shooters come in and learn how to play defense, they get the minutes.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Sort
Junior
Posts: 472
And1: 110
Joined: Jan 10, 2010

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#31 » by Sort » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:47 pm

I'm not sure Diallo can be anything but a quality backup because of the lack of outside shooting. It's too easy to gameplan. He might look great against lower end teams, but a two that can't shoot consistently from the outside is a two a that shouldn't be starting in the NBA.
User avatar
tradez401
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,694
And1: 356
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
 

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#32 » by tradez401 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:18 am

I'm keeping both Josh just needs to be consistent with his jumpshot...they both can defend, get rebounds, and slash into the paint why would you get rid one or the other?
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,934
And1: 3,596
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#33 » by Pharaoh » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:56 am

Long term I don't view either as a full time starter

Assuming we draft Cade, Suggs or Green in 2021 we'd start that guy with Hayes & Bey at the 3.

Diallo & Jackson could both be quality back ups if they improve on certain things though.

I believe Jackson's biggest weakness (poor BBIQ) is harder to fix than Diallo's (shooting) but a lot of that depends on the player and the work they put in.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
treefi
Analyst
Posts: 3,146
And1: 641
Joined: Jul 11, 2002
Contact:

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#34 » by treefi » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:19 am

This is tough.
foolinc
Freshman
Posts: 69
And1: 39
Joined: Jan 08, 2015
       

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#35 » by foolinc » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:40 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Long term I don't view either as a full time starter

Assuming we draft Cade, Suggs or Green in 2021 we'd start that guy with Hayes & Bey at the 3.

Diallo & Jackson could both be quality back ups if they improve on certain things though.

I believe Jackson's biggest weakness (poor BBIQ) is harder to fix than Diallo's (shooting) but a lot of that depends on the player and the work they put in.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app


This is more or less where I'm at too. Neither Jackson nor Diallo look like full time starters at the moment, however I think that Diallo is a better long term option than Jackson (and not just because of their ages).

I kind of expect the Pistons to take someone like Cade, Suggs or Green in the draft to pair with Hayes with Diallo coming back to be an everyday backup while Jackson will alternate between getting ~25 minutes and DNPs depending on the night.

Return to Detroit Pistons