Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Re: Dedmon signed by Miami 

Post#21 » by chrbal » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:28 am

DetroitSho wrote:
chrbal wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Dude why would he sit and cheer on the end of the Cavs bench?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Gets the money no matter what. Doesn’t risk an injury. Gets to pick his team.

If he got traded he’s looking at Charlotte, Chicago, New York. Basically bottom of the playoff seeding teams. He gets the buyout he gets to choose the team he wants to join that most likely never could have traded for him.

I’m not saying that I know this happened, but I’d be really surprised if Drummond had really no part in that decision he would’ve complained to the players association. And this all would’ve been a bigger story than just draymond saying his opinion.
You literally listed the reasons why he SHOULDN'T sit and cheer on the bench. Buy me out so I can choose my team. He was never being traded.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Ok. How is risking/avoiding an injury not a reason to sit out? If he really wanted to play, he would’ve taken a buyout earlier. Instead he sat for 15-16 games as the Cavs tried any possible interested team.

Why in the world would he have wanted to come off the bench for all that time? What would he have gained? At this point you know exactly what kind of player that you are getting with him.

He sits for a month or two, gets to watch what team gives the best opportunity to still start as well as being on at least a team with legitimate championship aspirations.

I’m just saying if he had no part in that I think he would’ve accepted a buyout earlier.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#22 » by flow » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:29 am

Pharaoh wrote:The Cavs made the decision for him.

Didn't you see Draymond Green's rant about it?
chrbal wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:I believe Cleveland chose to sit him, not Dre refusing to come off the bench.

I think it was a mutual decision. There’s no way he doesn’t sit and cheer if he didn’t want to.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

It may have been the team's decision at the end of the day, but Drummond was pissed when Jarret Allen was acquired & given the starting job. Drummond wanted nothing to do with coming off the bench.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#23 » by Pharaoh » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:53 am

From the time they acquired Allen it was made clear to Dre he would get the Blake treatment.

Not sure why this is a issue as the Cavs issued their statement around the time Draymond had his say.

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#24 » by flow » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:57 am

Pharaoh wrote:From the time they acquired Allen it was made clear to Dre he would get the Blake treatment.

Not sure why this is a issue as the Cavs issued their statement around the time Draymond had his say.

Not true. Allen was acquired a full month before the Cavs sat Drummond & Draymond ranted about it. Allen & Drummond played in 13 games together before Drummond was sat and the decision was rather abrupt. Something happened.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#25 » by Pharaoh » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:13 pm

flow wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:From the time they acquired Allen it was made clear to Dre he would get the Blake treatment.

Not true. Allen was acquired a full month before the Cavs sat Drummond & Draymond ranted about it. Allen & Drummond played in 13 games together before Drummond was sat and the decision was rather abrupt. Something happened.
And what happened?

They had discussions with Dre about a buyout for that time and with the deadline looming they decided to sit him in order to keep him healthy.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#26 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:35 pm

Sort wrote:To me it's always startling to see people go from huge contracts to basically out of the league, even via stretch like Dedmon or Josh Smith. Say whatever you like, but seems like once a player gets stretched, their career has either a) already crashed and burned or b) is about to.

If Dedmon wasn't earning millions of dollars sitting home with his family/gfs/playing golf then he would be on an NBA team. He got his cake and now gets to pick his team to play in the playoffs. Showing off for next year.

Reddick podcast talks about how awful the season is for players - they go from games to hotel - no going out. They practice, eat, sleep, play video games or cards.

Return to Detroit Pistons