ImageImageImage

Your Detroit Piston Big Board

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Snakebites

User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 11,591
And1: 4,663
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#21 » by zeebneeb » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:44 pm

Snakebites wrote:I have hope for Killian Hayes, but he categorically has not earned the level of importance that means we need to use "fit with him" as a factor in how to use a top 5 lottery pick.

It's really strange seeing people take that attitude here.
2 factor for me. I honestly believe Green is going to be the best player in the draft(he just screams "it" factor to me)and I believe Hayes is going to be a damn good PG in the league for a long time.

I also think Green would fit best next to a pass first PG such as Hayes.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,934
And1: 3,596
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#22 » by Pharaoh » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:09 pm

1 - Green. In order to win a title you need one of the best players in the league. He might not have the mentality but he's more likely than the rest of the top 5.

2/3 - Cade/Suggs. Depends on the day which one of these guys I'd take 2nd.

4 - Mobley. Concern over his frame more than anything else.

5 - Kuminga. Every Mock has him 5th so who am I to argue when I know very little about him at all.

6 - Barnes. I obviously have a thing for intangibles and dudes that can defend.


Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
DetroitSho
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,625
And1: 1,623
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#23 » by DetroitSho » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:43 am

Snakebites wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Not sure why, but to me Green feels like he has a chance to be the better player. He has the higher ceiling.

Yeah, if you believe that then that's fine.

I was just objecting to people putting Green ahead of Cade because he fits better with Hayes.
Nobody did that though, the people who picked Green picked him because they like what he brings the most. Slotting in next to Hayes perfectly was just a side benefit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
vic
Starter
Posts: 2,238
And1: 835
Joined: Dec 27, 2012

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#24 » by vic » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:56 am

Top Tier - Future All NBA, championship material
Cade: 6'8 JKidd/Chauncey Billups
Mobley: 7 foot Bill Russell/Chris Bosh

2nd Tier - future exciting stars
Green - scorer and shooter
Suggs - future top 15 guard
Jonathan Kuminga: PG & Kahwi in one

3rd Tier - championship level glue guys
Moses Moody - two way SG
Ziaire Williams - triple double shot making threat as a wing
Springer - future top 15 pg
Franz Wagner - versatile 2 way high iq
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
vic
Starter
Posts: 2,238
And1: 835
Joined: Dec 27, 2012

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#25 » by vic » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:02 am

vic wrote:Top Tier - Future All NBA, championship material
1A: Cade: 6'8 JKidd/Chauncey Billups
1B: Mobley: 7 foot Bill Russell/Chris Bosh

2nd Tier - future exciting stars
3. Green - scorer and shooter
4. Suggs - future top 15 guard
5. Jonathan Kuminga: PG & Kahwi in one

3rd Tier - championship level glue guys
6. Moses Moody - two way SG
7. Ziaire Williams - triple double shot making threat as a wing
8. Springer - future top 15 pg
9. Franz Wagner - versatile 2 way high iq


I'm a lot higher on Green than I used to be. Mainly because I think Troy can build a better team around him than the teams that were built around Damien Lillard, Bradley Beal, Zach Lavine, and other scorers that go nowhere in the playoffs.

That's also the only reason I'm more comfortable with Suggs. Because of Troy's eye for the other talent.

But obviously 1A and 1B are the biggest gamechangers for me.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
ByeByeDre
Rookie
Posts: 1,170
And1: 364
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
 

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#26 » by ByeByeDre » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:33 am

vic wrote:1B: Mobley: 7 foot Bill Russell/Chris Bosh



If you’re throwing out Bill Russell comparisons, I’ll throw my older man comparison too - Ralph Sampson. Watching him for the first time reminded me so much of UVA Ralph. He really could be special, but his body might fall apart like Ralph’s did. Biggest risk/reward in draft IMO.
Troy Weaver for GM of the year!
rmfc
Analyst
Posts: 3,649
And1: 816
Joined: Jul 19, 2009
     

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#27 » by rmfc » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:40 am

1) Green
2) Cade
3) Suggs
4) Mobley
5) Kuminga
User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,072
And1: 3,836
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#28 » by whitehops » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:45 am

i'm still debating my big board but i think i definitely have cade/green top 2 (not set on the order).

all i'm going to ask others is why kuminga has so much hype? his G league stats are brutal from an efficiency standpoint. i have only seen bits of him in jalen green's highlights but nothing at all screams "top 5 pick". kuminga actually took more shots than green and still averaged 2 PPG less.
treefi
Analyst
Posts: 3,146
And1: 641
Joined: Jul 11, 2002
Contact:

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#29 » by treefi » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:05 am

Tier 1
1. Cade Cunningham
2. Jalen Green
Tier 2
3. Evan Mobley
4. Jalen Suggs
5. Jonathan Kuminga
NYPiston
Senior
Posts: 604
And1: 411
Joined: Jun 21, 2019

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#30 » by NYPiston » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:10 am

Considering Pistons needs....

1) Cunningham
2) Green
3) Kuminga
4) Mobley
5) Suggs

Best players available...

1) Cunningham
2) Suggs
3) Green
4) Mobley
5) Kuminga

I'd take BPA if I was the Pistons.

I'm starting to look at 6-10 because it's actually more likely than not that they finish outside of the bottom 5 so I'm struggling with this because none of these guys showed out late in the season and in fact, most of them slumped.
If I go on talent alone, I probably like the Tennessee guys Springer and Johnson the most. If you want the best shooter, Moody, best scorer, Bouknight. Kai Jones is a sleeper for me. He's raw but his skillset is tantalizing with that size and athleticism.
I think Weaver would be really high on Barnes because of his length and versatility and scouts seem to love this kid but I see no above average scoring skills.
NYPiston
Senior
Posts: 604
And1: 411
Joined: Jun 21, 2019

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#31 » by NYPiston » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:13 am

whitehops wrote:i'm still debating my big board but i think i definitely have cade/green top 2 (not set on the order).

all i'm going to ask others is why kuminga has so much hype? his G league stats are brutal from an efficiency standpoint. i have only seen bits of him in jalen green's highlights but nothing at all screams "top 5 pick". kuminga actually took more shots than green and still averaged 2 PPG less.


Because a shortened season in a pandemic G League landscape means virtually nothing in the long run.
It's all about projecting skillset to the next level and Kuminga has all the tools you'd want in a NBA wing. With a lot of these guys, it's about projecting what they will be, not what they currently are.
User avatar
guldakot
Junior
Posts: 346
And1: 170
Joined: Jul 10, 2015
     

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#32 » by guldakot » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:32 am

I got Green>Mobley=Cade>Suggs>JalenJohson>Kuminga.

Green has the potential to be the next great 2 guard, and Mobley has the potential to be Bosh++. Cade is better then both of them right now, but I think his ceiling is lower then those 2. Suggs is capped at all star level where the other 3 all scream potential all NBA+. Jalen Johnson would be higher on boards if he hadn't quit early. Kuminga is a wildcard, high ceiling, highest bust potential of the top 6.
User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,072
And1: 3,836
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#33 » by whitehops » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:46 am

NYPiston wrote:Because a shortened season in a pandemic G League landscape means virtually nothing in the long run.
It's all about projecting skillset to the next level and Kuminga has all the tools you'd want in a NBA wing. With a lot of these guys, it's about projecting what they will be, not what they currently are.


and what is kuminga's projection? i guess that's my main question.
SamFlow
Senior
Posts: 719
And1: 150
Joined: Feb 21, 2001
     

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#34 » by SamFlow » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:24 am

still torn...... But as of this moment...

Cade
Green pretty close to tied.

Suggs, I see times when he can take over and times not. But because of his age and think he can grow into things and I don't mind having two pg's.

Mobley could be a Bam Adebayo. Very nice, but not game altering. But will be a need in Detroit's front line.


James Bouknight
Moses Moody

...
Second round
Isiah todd. if we don't go mobley.
BigDaddyJungle
SamFlow
Senior
Posts: 719
And1: 150
Joined: Feb 21, 2001
     

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#35 » by SamFlow » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:52 am

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I have hope for Killian Hayes, but he categorically has not earned the level of importance that means we need to use "fit with him" as a factor in how to use a top 5 lottery pick.

It's really strange seeing people take that attitude here.
2 factor for me. I honestly believe Green is going to be the best player in the draft(he just screams "it" factor to me)and I believe Hayes is going to be a damn good PG in the league for a long time.

I also think Green would fit best next to a pass first PG such as Hayes.



Green is my number one pick. Cade can do alot and fit many spots. I wouldn't argue either. But I've come around to Green being a stud. AND a perfect fit in D With our pg set, sf set, pf/c in beef stew set. I love the way he attacks.
BigDaddyJungle
vic
Starter
Posts: 2,238
And1: 835
Joined: Dec 27, 2012

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#36 » by vic » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:43 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
vic wrote:1B: Mobley: 7 foot Bill Russell/Chris Bosh



If you’re throwing out Bill Russell comparisons, I’ll throw my older man comparison too - Ralph Sampson. Watching him for the first time reminded me so much of UVA Ralph. He really could be special, but his body might fall apart like Ralph’s did. Biggest risk/reward in draft IMO.


Mobley is the most guaranteed success in this draft to me, along with Cade. Most of the broken bodied big men are 7’3- 7’6. Ralph was 7’4. Yao was like 7’6. Porzingis I think is 7’4.

Evan is only 7’0.

I have no concerns about Mobley as soon as you get him in NBA spacing, away from his big brother on the floor with him, your going to see an elite player and a winner on both ends.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
edmunder_prc
Pro Prospect
Posts: 916
And1: 480
Joined: Dec 06, 2015
   

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#37 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:22 pm

Unless the rules change - Shooting, driving, two-way wings win championships.

Now if its pick 4 and Mobley is still there, you pick him. Shooting, athletic wings should be at the top.

3s are worth more than 2s. Dribble drive is the NBA.
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 11,591
And1: 4,663
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#38 » by zeebneeb » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:53 pm

SamFlow wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I have hope for Killian Hayes, but he categorically has not earned the level of importance that means we need to use "fit with him" as a factor in how to use a top 5 lottery pick.

It's really strange seeing people take that attitude here.
2 factor for me. I honestly believe Green is going to be the best player in the draft(he just screams "it" factor to me)and I believe Hayes is going to be a damn good PG in the league for a long time.

I also think Green would fit best next to a pass first PG such as Hayes.



Green is my number one pick. Cade can do alot and fit many spots. I wouldn't argue either. But I've come around to Green being a stud. AND a perfect fit in D With our pg set, sf set, pf/c in beef stew set. I love the way he attacks.
Im with you. It's not that I don't think Cade is going to be an excellent player, and ill be just fine landing him, I just think it's due time the NBA had another alpha SG, and Green looks like type of player. Now of course over the years there have been the Jordan/Kobe types get picked and fizzle out, so there is a risk in picking that type but Green has that attack mentality and when he goes to the rim, he goes with malicious intent.

The two guys, in the end I will have no problem with are Green or Cade. I believe both will be excellent NBA players. The other 3 unanimous top 5 selections all have me nervous for various reasons.
mattao313
Head Coach
Posts: 6,109
And1: 2,922
Joined: Aug 29, 2014
       

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#39 » by mattao313 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:43 pm

whitehops wrote:
NYPiston wrote:Because a shortened season in a pandemic G League landscape means virtually nothing in the long run.
It's all about projecting skillset to the next level and Kuminga has all the tools you'd want in a NBA wing. With a lot of these guys, it's about projecting what they will be, not what they currently are.


and what is kuminga's projection? i guess that's my main question.

A big athletic wing player that can handle the ball. You know those guys always go high, imo he seems like a Rudy Gay, Jeff Green, Harrison Barnes type but he does have the potential to be more.
Championships
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 31,744
And1: 18,396
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
 

Re: Your Detroit Piston Big Board 

Post#40 » by MotownMadness » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:46 pm

mattao313 wrote:
whitehops wrote:
NYPiston wrote:Because a shortened season in a pandemic G League landscape means virtually nothing in the long run.
It's all about projecting skillset to the next level and Kuminga has all the tools you'd want in a NBA wing. With a lot of these guys, it's about projecting what they will be, not what they currently are.


and what is kuminga's projection? i guess that's my main question.

A big athletic wing player that can handle the ball. You know those guys always go high, imo he seems like a Rudy Gay, Jeff Green, Harrison Barnes type but he does have the potential to be more.

He honestly showed glimpses of everything from passing, iso scoring, athleticism etc.. I think he was just trying to do much and he couldn't keep up efficiently.

If he hits his potential though it's very high

Return to Detroit Pistons