Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Re: GAME 65 : Magic @ Pistons 7PM 

Post#121 » by flow » Tue May 4, 2021 3:33 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
flow wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Name a time the Pistons won meaningless games at the end of a sudden they've shown a clear commitment to tanking.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Every year prior to this one. This is the first year they're committed to tanking.

So it's NEVER happened in a season they've been purposefully tanking.

I don't think they ever have purposely tanked prior to this season. Not during Gore's tenure, anyway. Certainly not while SVG was here.

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#122 » by vege » Tue May 4, 2021 3:37 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:There shouldn't be rules against teams eliminated from the playoffs playing guys who otherwise haven't played much. Its called player development. These guys need the last 10-15 games to start getting reps in the league and understand what they need to work on once the summer starts. Some might call it tanking but team vets have nothing the gain or prove at this point in the season. Where the young guys have everything to prove and gain from it.

That's not what we are doing, We are tanking. Grant and Plumlee would help to develop those players. Same thing applies to Orlando.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#123 » by Moses ShamMoses » Tue May 4, 2021 3:51 pm

vege wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:There shouldn't be rules against teams eliminated from the playoffs playing guys who otherwise haven't played much. Its called player development. These guys need the last 10-15 games to start getting reps in the league and understand what they need to work on once the summer starts. Some might call it tanking but team vets have nothing the gain or prove at this point in the season. Where the young guys have everything to prove and gain from it.

That's not what we are doing, We are tanking. Grant and Plumlee would help to develop those players. Same thing applies to Orlando.

Yes and No. I agree it helps the young guys to play with Grant and Plumlee but where are the minutes coming from? If Grant and Plumlee play big minutes guys like Sekou will be waiving a towel for most of the game.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#124 » by DetroitSho » Tue May 4, 2021 4:21 pm

440BB wrote:I guess I'm pleasantly surprised they are in the second worst spot with seven games left. Although it may not play out, at least they have their fate in their hands versus hoping other teams bail them out.
This point is not being made and/or comprehended enough.

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#125 » by DetroitSho » Tue May 4, 2021 4:25 pm

flow wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
flow wrote:
Every year prior to this one. This is the first year they're committed to tanking.

So it's NEVER happened in a season they've been purposefully tanking.

I don't think they ever have purposely tanked prior to this season. Not during Gore's tenure, anyway. Certainly not while SVG was here.

Which was my point. Prior history means nothing to this year.

By the way, "the Pistons always win meaningless games at the end of the season" is not a thing. They're not predisposed to winning late season games. They just always won because they were playing teams that were either TRYING to lose or teams that the game results didn't matter. The Pistons are showing they're actually trying to lose, so I see no point in being scared they'll win multiple games at this point.

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#126 » by flow » Tue May 4, 2021 8:26 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
flow wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:So it's NEVER happened in a season they've been purposefully tanking.

Which was my point. Prior history means nothing to this year.

By the way, "the Pistons always win meaningless games at the end of the season" is not a thing. They're not predisposed to winning late season games. They just always won because they were playing teams that were either TRYING to lose or teams that the game results didn't matter. The Pistons are showing they're actually trying to lose, so I see no point in being scared they'll win multiple games at this point.

Yes, of course. Agree. I think the OP [Moses..] you were responding to was just being tongue-in-cheek, though.

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#127 » by Manocad » Sat May 15, 2021 12:30 am

:rofl:

Boy, here's a couple of gems from the Pistons-Magic game thread on the Magic board (don't remember why I was going through it). Names changed in order to derail any potential backlash from the guilty parties being quoted.

zay-Dolt wrote:First i want to say i am annoyed by the win. I read on Pistons board they thought they would win with their great rookies even if we had Isaac and Fultz... bunch of clowns.

Say what? That is an outright lie. There was NOBODY on our board talking about wanting a win much less expecting a win; it was the exact opposite. Along with the Minny game, that was one of the games that was an absolute must-lose.

basketball-Dolt wrote:Pretty bad when our second string basically beat Detroit's first team.

Say what? No Grant, Plumlee, Ellington or Cojo is our first team? :lol: Where do they get these guys?
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#128 » by chrbal » Sat May 15, 2021 12:56 am

Manocad wrote::rofl:

Boy, here's a couple of gems from the Pistons-Magic game thread on the Magic board (don't remember why I was going through it). Names changed in order to derail any potential backlash from the guilty parties being quoted.

zay-Dolt wrote:First i want to say i am annoyed by the win. I read on Pistons board they thought they would win with their great rookies even if we had Isaac and Fultz... bunch of clowns.

Say what? That is an outright lie. There was NOBODY on our board talking about wanting a win much less expecting a win; it was the exact opposite. Along with the Minny game, that was one of the games that was an absolute must-lose.

basketball-Dolt wrote:Pretty bad when our second string basically beat Detroit's first team.

Say what? No Grant, Plumlee, Ellington or Cojo is our first team? :lol: Where do they get these guys?

The best is still the guy that came here to criticize what the pistons were doing by tanking and resting. WE WERE BEING CALLED OUT ON THAT BY A MAGIC FAN ABOUT TANKING.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#129 » by Manocad » Sat May 15, 2021 12:59 am

chrbal wrote:
Manocad wrote::rofl:

The best is still the guy that came here to criticize what the pistons were doing by tanking and resting. WE WERE BEING CALLED OUT ON THAT BY A MAGIC FAN ABOUT TANKING.

Yeah, there were sour grapes growing all over that guy

Return to Detroit Pistons