ImageImageImage

Your 2022 NBA Draft Prospect

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Your 2022 NBA Draft Prospect 

Post#2501 » by Pharaoh » Thu May 19, 2022 9:14 am

A_dub06 wrote:I know this is a little dramatic but I’m going to be (and preparing to be) pissed if Weaver doesn’t take Sharpe. I think he has the potential to be a top 2 player from this draft and don’t feel it’s a given that Murray will be more than an average starter on a winning team. This teams window to compete isn’t 2 years away. Taking Sharpe and developing him, playing my the lottery next season and then going into that free agency with money to burn should be the play.

I know people some here what to max Ayton, but I don’t think theres a world in which some team maxes him and Phoenix let’s him walk without a replacement.

There’s not going to be a quick fix as such, and we should be aiming high playing the long game (lottery) which is only another season before we truly push for wins.
Is Jimmy Butler not proving to you what it takes yet? I'll wait.

Cade is in that mold. We need another one!

Depending on interviews and mindset dissection I'm on Murray. Have been for a while

We need dogs on this team, guys who will punish you

Luka despite popular opinion is a dog - watch him vs Phoenix as he hits shots and laughs or mean mugs at the crowd.

I WANT a team of these guys. Forget your analytics or the appearance of things.

I want guys who will kill you while they're smiling!

Cade is built like that. I want for more

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#2502 » by The Moose » Thu May 19, 2022 9:35 am

Pharaoh wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:I know this is a little dramatic but I’m going to be (and preparing to be) pissed if Weaver doesn’t take Sharpe. I think he has the potential to be a top 2 player from this draft and don’t feel it’s a given that Murray will be more than an average starter on a winning team. This teams window to compete isn’t 2 years away. Taking Sharpe and developing him, playing my the lottery next season and then going into that free agency with money to burn should be the play.

I know people some here what to max Ayton, but I don’t think theres a world in which some team maxes him and Phoenix let’s him walk without a replacement.

There’s not going to be a quick fix as such, and we should be aiming high playing the long game (lottery) which is only another season before we truly push for wins.

Depending on interviews and mindset dissection I'm on Murray. Have been for a while

Luka despite popular opinion is a dog - watch him vs Phoenix as he hits shots and laughs or mean mugs at the crowd.

Murray doesn't strike me as that sort of player at all really, thats Eason, through and through.
Ivey and Mathurin are guys like that too. Those 3 have a relentless attacking style of play, although only Eason shows it on both sides of the ball.

I think Murray is going to have more troubles than these 3 translating their aggressive bully ball styles for several reasons
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#2503 » by LaSheed » Thu May 19, 2022 10:16 am

Sharpe or Ivey and then let's go find us some bigs not named Ayton.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 733

Post#2504 » by A_dub06 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:24 am

Pharaoh wrote:

I think Jimmy’s 3rd quarter vs Boston in ECF game 1 is distorting your view. How many championships has Jimmy won? Murray doesn’t even remotely close to project to have the kind of impact butler has. You also need stars on your team to win, not role players like Murray will likely be. Beating your kids is different to grown physical men, he’s already 22 and as multiple other posters have mentioned you can’t have both him and Bey as your starting forwards, they are both far too slow.

Do I want attack dogs that taunt the opposing team and crowd while they do it? I honestly couldn’t care less what expression is on their face as along as they attack via their game on the court.

This is Detroit, we RARELY get bigger free agents meaning we need to cultivate stars in house via the draft. We really need to swing for the fences and Sharpe has the tools and skills to become just that.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#2505 » by vic » Thu May 19, 2022 12:31 pm

If natural talent is important in this draft like Weaver said it is,.. he would be certified crazy to take Keegan Murray who didn't dominate college till age 22 over Sharpe or Ivey who have demonstrated extreme outlier athleticism and scoring talent at younger ages.

I get making the safe pick at 7 if you trade for Grant, but not when superior natural talent Is available. At the end of the day Troy Weaver is a Scout who works as a GM. He wouldn't be able to go to sleep at night passing up Sharpe or Ivey or even G-League Australian Dyson Daniels for a 22 year old. Every scout knows the value of age and development years.

Draft any of Sharpe, Ivey, or Dyson, and the 3 guard rotation will be set for 10 years.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#2506 » by Sheeeeed » Thu May 19, 2022 12:53 pm

I don't think Sharpe is a lotto pick without a college career. Too many questions about his lack of play in college. Plus I see there's questions about his competitiveness too.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#2507 » by A_dub06 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:55 pm

vic wrote:If natural talent is important in this draft like Weaver said it is,.. he would be certified (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to take Keegan Murray who didn't dominate college till age 22 over Sharpe or Ivey who have demonstrated extreme outlier athleticism and scoring talent at younger ages.

I get making the safe pick at 7 if you trade for Grant, but not when superior natural talent Is available. At the end of the day Troy Weaver is a Scout who works as a GM. He wouldn't be able to go to sleep at night passing up Sharpe or Ivey or even G-League Australian Dyson Daniels for a 22 year old. Every scout knows the value of age and development years.

Draft any of Sharpe, Ivey, or Dyson, and the 3 guard rotation will be set for 10 years.

I know Sacramento has a history of head scratching picks but I honestly think they’ll take Ivey, nothing prohibits them bringing him off the bench and playing bigger mins in a scoring/attacking 6th man role if starting Mitchell and Fox is a given. That leaves us with the rest and totally agree about what you said, taking Murray goes against skills and asset collecting. We desperately need talent and adding a role player does nothing for the ceiling of this team. Aim for stats in the draft and free agency for role players.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#2508 » by A_dub06 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:57 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:I don't think Sharpe is a lotto pick without a college career. Too many questions about his lack of play in college. Plus I see there's questions about his competitiveness too.

I’ve actually never read anything about his competitiveness, have you got a link to an article discussing that. I read somewhere (the athletic pretty sure) saying Sharpe is more of a quiet guy as opposed to be being loud and cocky, but that’s about it
The Moose
General Manager

Post#2509 » by The Moose » Thu May 19, 2022 1:02 pm

Read on Twitter
coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

Post#2510 » by coolness » Thu May 19, 2022 1:04 pm

coolness wrote:I maaaybe wondered this here out loud a while ago.

Does anyone think K.Murray and T.Eason can play back-up center along with minutes at both forward spots?

A. "the new NBA" kind of idea with solid shooting and athleticism being better than many centers. Maybe including I.Stewart.
B. N.Batum and R.Covington have been effective at center after having lost athleticism.

Almost right after this post of mine, I read a report that K.Murray is slow of foot.

I was talking out of my butt anyways, but why did he get 2+ blocks per game as a forward? And, even the big points and rebounds thing in the Big 10, had me thinking he has good athleticism.

If some people are right, then maybe Murray should just play pf like Tobias Harris. I like Tobias. He can win most matchups by outscoring his match, I think.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#2511 » by Rip32 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 pm

Starting to warm up to Bennedict Mathurin

Cade
Mathurin (Select with #7 pick acquired from Portland for Grant)
Bey
Keegan Murray drafted #5
Ayton or Mitchell Robinson

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#2512 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu May 19, 2022 1:23 pm

Mathurin at #7 would be awesome, but I don't see Portland trading 7 for Grant. I feel like they'll ask for Bey + future 1st instead and we'll decline.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
vic
Veteran

Post#2513 » by vic » Thu May 19, 2022 1:28 pm

vic wrote:If natural talent is important in this draft like Weaver said it is,.. he would be certified crazy to take Keegan Murray who didn't dominate college till age 22 over Sharpe or Ivey who have demonstrated extreme outlier athleticism and scoring talent at younger ages.

After listening to the DBB podcast I realize that Keegan Murray COULD be one of the only players that Portland would be interested in... so drafting him at 5 could be a way for us to force them into trading 7 for Grant. If that's the case I don't mind taking Keegan at 5. Then maybe Sharpe or Dyson at 7. Get the safe pick at 5 then swing for younger talent at 7
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
vic
Veteran

Post#2514 » by vic » Thu May 19, 2022 2:14 pm

vic wrote:
vic wrote:If natural talent is important in this draft like Weaver said it is,.. he would be certified crazy to take Keegan Murray who didn't dominate college till age 22 over Sharpe or Ivey who have demonstrated extreme outlier athleticism and scoring talent at younger ages.

After listening to the DBB podcast I realize that Keegan Murray COULD be one of the only players that Portland would be interested in... so drafting him at 5 could be a way for us to force them into trading 7 for Grant. If that's the case I don't mind taking Keegan at 5. Then maybe Sharpe or Dyson at 7. Get the safe pick at 5 then swing for younger talent at 7

But then again, if you draft Sharpe or Ivey at 5, then the Pacers take Keegan, you could also get Tari Eason at 7... who is scores like Keegan but with more steals, and more turnovers
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#2515 » by Manocad » Thu May 19, 2022 2:19 pm

Homelander87 wrote:
Jsindto wrote:
Manocad wrote:I see a lot of sources listing Sharpe as 6'6" with a 7' wingspan. However I also saw an article where he himself said he was 6'4" and about 200 lbs with a 7' wingspan. However I don't give a rat's ass if he really is 6'4" rather than 6'6" as long as he can put the ball in the basket.

He measured officially at the combine today (see below). His own numbers were accurate, so at least not lying lol.

6'5.25 in shoes, 6'11.5 wingspan, 8'7.5 standing reach, 198 lbs with 4.8% body fat

Ya, no thanks. Too unproven for a big that was supposed to be a giant at the guard position and he isn't. Just watching his videos you can see his handles are not great either.

Considering that I've seen nothing that listed him as being any taller than 6'6" I don't think anyone was calling him a giant at the guard position. The average NBA SG height is 6'4". A "giant' SG would be something like 6'8"-6'9".

As far as being too unproven, I have no issue with that argument.
Jsindto
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#2516 » by Jsindto » Thu May 19, 2022 2:38 pm

bjones521 wrote:After listening to many podcasts. Pistons pulse, Detroit bad boys and many others I think the pick is Murray or Ivey. I dont see the Pistons taking Sharpe at all. The fact that Hayes was unknown and hasn't produced much may sway Weaver for more known less developmental players.

I agree. The only way they take Sharpe is if they go Murray at 5, get the 7 pick in a trade for Grant and take Sharpe there. Even then, I would guess Mathurin, but wouldn't be shocked if they roll the dice on Sharpe with a second pick.
The Moose
General Manager

Post#2517 » by The Moose » Thu May 19, 2022 2:41 pm

I don't consider 7 for Grant remotely realistic, I think the more realistic situation would be Portland moving down from 7 for 2 picks and then sending us one of those for Grant. If the plan is to take Murray, I would assume Grant is on his way out, it would be strange to draft a bench player at 5.

Charlotte would be the obvious target as they will be looking for a big athletic center, Duren and Williams may likely be gone by 13.

So hypothetically something like

Charlotte trades: 13+15
Charlotte receives: 7 (Duren or Williams)

Portland trades: 7+Keon Johnson
Portland receives 15+Jerami Grant

Detroit trades: Jerami Grant
Detroit receives: 13+ Keon Johnson
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,103

Post#2518 » by NYPiston » Thu May 19, 2022 2:50 pm

Reading the Kings board on another forum, they seem to be really bullish on Murray and a bit bearish on Ivey. Not surprising considering that they have Fox in the fold already.
I've been back and forth on the two. Murray certainly has a much more polished, better overall game at this point in their career and has that high Basketball IQ that Weaver seems to covet but for a Pistons team that is already lacking athleticism as is, Ivey is more enticing from a needs standpoint but his flaws are really glaring.

Sharpe is the best fit of this group, by far, just based on position and game style. Mathurin is also a good fit and I feel isn't being talked about enough. I think he's a better prospect than Ivey in a lot of respects.
Jsindto
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#2519 » by Jsindto » Thu May 19, 2022 2:50 pm

Manocad wrote:
Homelander87 wrote:
Jsindto wrote:He measured officially at the combine today (see below). His own numbers were accurate, so at least not lying lol.

6'5.25 in shoes, 6'11.5 wingspan, 8'7.5 standing reach, 198 lbs with 4.8% body fat

Ya, no thanks. Too unproven for a big that was supposed to be a giant at the guard position and he isn't. Just watching his videos you can see his handles are not great either.

Considering that I've seen nothing that listed him as being any taller than 6'6" I don't think anyone was calling him a giant at the guard position. The average NBA SG height is 6'4". A "giant' SG would be something like 6'8"-6'9".

As far as being too unproven, I have no issue with that argument.

From a size standpoint, he's about as big as I would have guessed. Every height measurement is inflated by ~1 inch usually. Even Cade is an inch shorter than expected. So going from 6'6" to 6'5" is pretty standard. So he definitely has the size to play the 2 and the length to guard the 3 with his 7 foot wingspan.

Outside of just the unknown, and specifically the unknown for him defensively (he has the body to be good, but just ask Bagley how much that matters), the biggest question mark for me is his athleticism. He definitely has the jumps, but I'm not sure if he's fast enough to take a guy off the dribble to the hole. I would think yes, but without seeing him in college you really can't say you know he can.

I initially was on the "take Sharpe if Ivey isn't there" train because I usually have the mindset to go for the highest ceiling at the top of the draft, but that was when I thought he was supposed to be uber-athletic. Short of Jalen Green level, but closer to that than just "plus athlete." I'm starting to get "plus athlete" vibes from what I've been reading. And if that's the case, I don't know if it's worth the gamble. If he is much more than just a plus athlete and is extremely athletic, then I would take a chance on him.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#2520 » by Rip32 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:13 pm

NYPiston wrote:Reading the Kings board on another forum, they seem to be really bullish on Murray and a bit bearish on Ivey. Not surprising considering that they have Fox in the fold already.
I've been back and forth on the two. Murray certainly has a much more polished, better overall game at this point in their career and has that high Basketball IQ that Weaver seems to covet but for a Pistons team that is already lacking athleticism as is, Ivey is more enticing from a needs standpoint but his flaws are really glaring.

Sharpe is the best fit of this group, by far, just based on position and game style. Mathurin is also a good fit and I feel isn't being talked about enough. I think he's a better prospect than Ivey in a lot of respects.

Mathurin is my favorite prospect outside of Jabari Smith. Trust and believe Weaver is well aware of Mathurin's game.

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority

Return to Detroit Pistons