Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Your 2022 NBA Draft Prospect 

Post#141 » by Pharaoh » Wed Dec 1, 2021 12:27 am

Manocad wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Manocad wrote:I can't see Phoenix letting Ayton go in principle so I'm assuming the thought there is that they can't afford to keep him? They already have $130M in committed salaries for 2022-23 with the cap projected to be $119M and zero committed to Ayton. Otherwise I can't see a reason why he'd leave Phoenix now assuming he's going to get a max deal from anyone who can pay it.
Yeah the idea is Phoenix aren't willing to pony up the money to extend their window, especially not Max money for a C when they're paying CP3, Booker & Bridges big enough money to compete in the West.

The real question will be: is anyone going to offer Ayton the Max in the first place?

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app

I personally don’t see Ayton as a max player. Max player to me means top 10 or so in the league and he’s not that. I think the talk here about giving him a max contract is a result of “Just get a really good player who fits a need and if it takes max money to get him, give it to him because I want wins now” thinking.
I agree with that to some extent.

I actually don't believe we'll spend much money this coming off-season and that our FO pivoted quickly when the free agent market started drying up.

There's no real reason to Max anyone this coming off-season. But I'm patient and not in a rush to get back on the mediocre treadmill we were on for so long.

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#142 » by reanimator » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:22 am

If for some reason Detroit does not get a top 3 pick, who do you like? Me? I think Jaden Ivey and Keegan Murray are two really intriguing fits with Cade.

Guys like Kendall Brown, Wendell Moore, and Moussa Diabate are not high lotto guys right now but if they can show any reason to buy into their shots then I like them as well and they'd make Grant expendable. Fav international is Nikola Jovic after his U19 but he is in a slump.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#143 » by MotownMadness » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:23 am

Jaden Ivey looks awesome, he'll be the first G/SG taken this year.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#144 » by MotownMadness » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:26 am

reanimator wrote:If for some reason Detroit does not get a top 3 pick, who do you like? Me? I think Jaden Ivey and Keegan Murray are two really intriguing fits with Cade.

Guys like Kendall Brown, Wendell Moore, and Moussa Diabate are not high lotto guys right now but if they can show any reason to buy into their shots then I like them as well and they'd make Grant expendable. Fav international is Nikola Jovic after his U19 but he is in a slump.

Guys like Jaden Ivey, Murray or Baldwin (MPJ type forward).

Haven't got to watch Baldwin or Murray yet though but Murray's having a huge season so far.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#145 » by NYPiston » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:31 am

Jaden Ivey folks. Watch him guys, he's starting to give me some Ja Morant vibes. I know that the Pistons are guard heavy but I'd seriously consider him in the top 5 if the Pistons fell a bit or even the top 3 if he continues on this trajectory. His athleticism and dynamic game would be a big shot in the arm for this team that desperately needs skills like that. He's one of those rare "Must Watch" players.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#146 » by mattao313 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:38 am

Idk about Ivey what is he at the next level pg or sg? His handle looks kinda sus to

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#147 » by MotownMadness » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:42 am

Ivey is out here shooting Dame level depth 3s
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#148 » by reanimator » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:43 am

I think Cade and Ivey both have the opposite weaknesses which you kind of hope they could cover up for one another. Killian is more of a 3rd guard at this stage.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#149 » by MotownMadness » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:45 am

reanimator wrote:I think Cade and Ivey both have the opposite weaknesses which you kind of hope they could cover up for one another. Killian is more of a 3rd guard at this stage.

Definitely a good pairing, Ivey can shoot and has burst to his driving game.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#150 » by NYPiston » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:53 am

mattao313 wrote:Idk about Ivey what is he at the next level pg or sg? His handle looks kinda sus to

You could say that about most guards nowadays. Hell, even Cade's role came into question about whether or not he's a point or a shooting guard.

The point is it doesn't matter when you have an insanely dynamic skillset like Ivey has.
He's not the best fit for the Pistons from a positional standpoint but like I said earlier, you take the best talent available when you're in the Pistons position. Who would you rather have? A limited big guy like Duren or a versatile, dynamic scorer/playmaker like Ivey? Duren is the better fit but I see Ivey as having more upside.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#151 » by mattao313 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 2:13 am

NYPiston wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Idk about Ivey what is he at the next level pg or sg? His handle looks kinda sus to

You could say that about most guards nowadays. Hell, even Cade's role came into question about whether or not he's a point or a shooting guard.

The point is it doesn't matter when you have an insanely dynamic skillset like Ivey has.
He's not the best fit for the Pistons from a positional standpoint but like I said earlier, you take the best talent available when you're in the Pistons position. Who would you rather have? A limited big guy like Duren or a versatile, dynamic scorer/playmaker like Ivey? Duren is the better fit but I see Ivey as having more upside.
Im with you take bpa. Also i think Cade is a off guard. If fit came into the discussion i think we need a PG and/or a C.

Just not totally sold on him he does look really fast and athletic kinda Westbrook-ish tho kinda out of control like him too

Championships
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#152 » by vic » Wed Dec 1, 2021 5:56 pm

I think Mark Williams is an underrated big, could be worth a top 10 pick.

Oscar Tshiebwe is a monster rebounder that is much needed.

As far as the Jadens, Keegan, PBJ, Caleb... it's hard for me to consider a wing or a guard right now, but I'm okay with moving the "new Saddiq" to a bench role to take Ivey or Keegan.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#153 » by BJK1 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 8:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#154 » by DBC10 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 8:19 pm

vic wrote:I think Mark Williams is an underrated big, could be worth a top 10 pick.

Oscar Tshiebwe is a monster rebounder that is much needed.

As far as the Jadens, Keegan, PBJ, Caleb... it's hard for me to consider a wing or a guard right now, but I'm okay with moving the "new Saddiq" to a bench role to take Ivey or Keegan.

New Saddiq is almost actively trying to lobby for a sixth man microwave role with the type of shots he's putting up and the defense being lackluster this year

Which I wouldn't be mad at since every team eventually needs a good sixth man, but damn
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#155 » by zeebneeb » Wed Dec 1, 2021 10:35 pm

Well, I've accepted the fact that the Pistons suck ass yet again, so its back to this thread again.

Giant bouncy bigman to pair with Cade. Chet, or Poalo or however you spell it.

No gaurds, or middling athlete types. Pure athletes that can catch a lob from half-court please.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#156 » by Pharaoh » Thu Dec 2, 2021 12:51 am

zeebneeb wrote:Well, I've accepted the fact that the Pistons suck ass yet again, so its back to this thread again.

No gaurds, or middling athlete types. Pure athletes that can catch a lob from half-court please.
I know you were extremely optimistic prior to this season bro but I did warn you

Historically extremely young teams suffer in the NBA. And that's ok. We'll suffer again this season but I do still believe in our main kids:

Hayes still hasn't played 80 games yet but the improvement is obvious in some respects.

Bey has expanded his offensive game but no surprise it's not all coming together smoothly.

Stewart battles, as we expect him to but he's getting worked over by smarter players/teams as we should also expect.

Then there's Cade...shows so much promise in so many areas but he was never going to be the floor raiser some expected.

I'm hoping for Banchero but I haven't gone deep on this class yet.

Given that we know Weaver was all over Pat Williams & Scottie Barnes the last 2 Drafts I do believe that's a indication of what he wants as a building block

AnnArborpiston
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#157 » by AnnArborpiston » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:09 am

I'm for Jaden Ivey.

We chose Cade over Jalen Green last year to have our leader. Now we need our athlete. I'd run a three guard lineup:

Hayes/Cunningham
Ivey/FJ
Cunningham/HD
Grant/FA PF
FA Big/Stew
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#158 » by Pharaoh » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:20 am

Just checked out Jabari Smith footage.

Given how little I've seen of this class I've got him and Banchero as my 1A & 1B now.

Too early to separate them. Not sure I have Chet at 3 as I've got concerns over his frame and lateral quickness.

Will check out Ivey & Hardy next

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#159 » by zeebneeb » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:22 am

Pharaoh wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Well, I've accepted the fact that the Pistons suck ass yet again, so its back to this thread again.

I know you were extremely optimistic prior to this season bro but I did warn you

Historically extremely young teams suffer in the NBA. And that's ok. We'll suffer again this season but I do still believe in our main kids:

Hayes still hasn't played 80 games yet but the improvement is obvious in some respects.

Bey has expanded his offensive game but no surprise it's not all coming together smoothly.

Stewart battles, as we expect him to but he's getting worked over by smarter players/teams as we should also expect.

Then there's Cade...shows so much promise in so many areas but he was never going to be the floor raiser some expected.

I'm hoping for Banchero but I haven't gone deep on this class yet.

Given that we know Weaver was all over Pat Williams & Scottie Barnes the last 2 Drafts I do believe that's a indication of what he wants as a building block

If Cades not a floor raiser at #1 this team is doomed, period.

Warning me makes no sense, as a team is supposed to improve by getting the leagues top prospect, not get worse. By that logic, next season the Pistons may not win a game, and in two years, they may not score a point, all the while drafting in the top 5.

This team should not be this damn bad. There are factors at play here I don't understand, and hand-waving them away as "young teams" is absurd. This team is historically bad offensively, and certain players have regressed all the way back to highschool. It's absolutely puzzling to me.

Unless of course, Weaver has seen whats happened to Doncic, or other top picks whose teams immediately get better, and they fall out of the lottery, not getting any help, or high-end talent which caps their rise, and struggle to land free agents.

Maybe Casey is safe, because Weaver wants to hit the lottery again, and pair Cade with a top tier bigman.

By all accounts, if an actual offense was ran, this team should be better. Not winning 50 games better, but competitive, and competent. The product current taking the floor is a **** clown show. I want to watch Cade, but when the team is down 20, 30, 40 points, who gives a crap?

Its been obvious since Cades 3rd or 4th game, that he absolutely needs a monster to throw lobs to, and to play the pick and roll with to truly unlock his potential. Allen would be perfect, but he's a pipe dream.

Flustered as hell, as I'm sure many other Piston fans are with this trash product for years, and years, and years now. Seasons over before it began, and once again I'm dreaming of a top pick.

*sigh* end rant.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#160 » by Pharaoh » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:49 am

If you watch a lot of other teams you'll see the drastic differences in offensive systems

We lack player and ball movement most of the time which does boggle the mind considering how "deep" we are as a team, especially at guard.

We should be running at all times, pushing the pace so that we can get a decent look before defences are set...but we don't for whatever reason.

That said:

No one should have expected Cade and internal "growth" to automatically add 15 wins to this roster.

Some of y'all were talking about making the play in games

Anyway, back to the Draft and some comparisons after watching Banchero & Smith:

Banchero - Carmelo
Smith Jr - Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Return to Detroit Pistons