ImageImageImage

Your 2022 NBA Draft Prospect

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: Your 2022 NBA Draft Prospect 

Post#3221 » by Manocad » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:33 pm

I'm still not seeing a scenario where the Pistons NEED to trade up unless Weaver is really in love with someone. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be too upset if it took Grant + #5 to ensure the Pistons moved up to 4 (or higher) to get the player they really want, but it would be awesome to have the player they want be available at 5 then a Grant trade gets them another pick or a younger player, or both. If the top four picks are made and Ivey is still there at 5 and Weaver loves him, take him. If Sacramento tries to get ballsy and threatens to take Ivey unless the Pistons trade up to 4, or the even more unlikely scenario that one of the Big 3 falls to 4 and Sacramento wants to try leverage their pick, then f**k 'em--let them take Ivey (or the Big 3 player that fell) and the Pistons can take whichever of Murray or Ivey is still there (assuming one of them went top 3 because one of the Big 3 fell). Or one of the Big 3 falls to 5, then awesome--take him and get something figured out with Grant.

I just hope to not see anything crazy like Grant + 5 + a future first/Bey (or something like that) to move up to 3 or 2. But Weaver said there's no reason to fast track it and that would seem like fast tracking it to me. I guess I just see greater value in the grand scheme with just taking what's available at 5 because guaranteed it's going to be a good player, and using a Grant trade to gain another asset.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#3222 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:39 pm

Troy Weaver on the whole age debate-

"To me, upside is a growth mindset," Weaver said. "I don’t subscribe to, ‘The guy is a 23-year-old and he can’t grow, doesn’t have upside.’ Or, there’s some guys that are 19, 18 that limit themselves. I’ve seen a couple of young players and I said ‘it’s going to be a while because he just doesn’t get it.’ It’s just the mental aspect of it and how the player approaches things and where he’s been, how he approaches and what’s been untapped."
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#3223 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:42 pm

Manocad wrote:I'm still not seeing a scenario where the Pistons NEED to trade up unless Weaver is really in love with someone. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be too upset if it took Grant + #5 to ensure the Pistons moved up to 4 (or higher) to get the player they really want, but it would be awesome to have the player they want be available at 5 then a Grant trade gets them another pick or a younger player, or both. If the top four picks are made and Ivey is still there at 5 and Weaver loves him, take him. If Sacramento tries to get ballsy and threatens to take Ivey unless the Pistons trade up to 4, or the even more unlikely scenario that one of the Big 3 falls to 4 and Sacramento wants to try leverage their pick, then f**k 'em--let them take Ivey (or the Big 3 player that fell) and the Pistons can take whichever of Murray or Ivey is still there (assuming one of them went top 3 because one of the Big 3 fell). Or one of the Big 3 falls to 5, then awesome--take him and get something figured out with Grant.

I just hope to not see anything crazy like Grant + 5 + a future first/Bey (or something like that) to move up to 3 or 2. But Weaver said there's no reason to fast track it and that would seem like fast tracking it to me. I guess I just see greater value in the grand scheme with just taking what's available at 5 because guaranteed it's going to be a good player, and using a Grant trade to gain another asset.

A trade up with Grant and #5 should be last resort if someone else is making Sacramento consider a trade out.

But yeah it would be nice if Sacramento just stays still and takes Murray leaving us with Ivey and Grant
Manocad
RealGM

Post#3224 » by Manocad » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:42 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Troy Weaver on the whole age debate-

"To me, upside is a growth mindset," Weaver said. "I don’t subscribe to, ‘The guy is a 23-year-old and he can’t grow, doesn’t have upside.’ Or, there’s some guys that are 19, 18 that limit themselves. I’ve seen a couple of young players and I said ‘it’s going to be a while because he just doesn’t get it.’ It’s just the mental aspect of it and how the player approaches things and where he’s been, how he approaches and what’s been untapped."

Exactly why I've been saying that being 21-22 at the draft is some sort of "red flag" to the GM's is garbage. It's like people believe there's some magical formula that being drafted at 18-19 automatically means a player is at the same level of someone who's 21-22 and thus has a bigger "window" of productive NBA seasons simply because they're now in the NBA. And it's just not true. Look at all the top draft picks from last year as an example. Will they project to be very good to great players? Absolutely. Did they blast off out the gate as great players? Absolutely not. Sure, Cade put up 17.4 PPG last year playing in a key role and showed excellent potential. But he shot 41.6%/31.4% and had 3.7 TO's. Does anyone expect that after one season he's suddenly going to score 25 PPG shooting 46%/39% and have 1.5 TO's? Probably not. So let's say he gets there in Year 3 of his career. That would make him 22 at the start of that season--imagine that. Call me when 18-19 year old rookies are making the All Star game because I don't remember many.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#3225 » by Manocad » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:46 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Manocad wrote:I'm still not seeing a scenario where the Pistons NEED to trade up unless Weaver is really in love with someone. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be too upset if it took Grant + #5 to ensure the Pistons moved up to 4 (or higher) to get the player they really want, but it would be awesome to have the player they want be available at 5 then a Grant trade gets them another pick or a younger player, or both. If the top four picks are made and Ivey is still there at 5 and Weaver loves him, take him. If Sacramento tries to get ballsy and threatens to take Ivey unless the Pistons trade up to 4, or the even more unlikely scenario that one of the Big 3 falls to 4 and Sacramento wants to try leverage their pick, then f**k 'em--let them take Ivey (or the Big 3 player that fell) and the Pistons can take whichever of Murray or Ivey is still there (assuming one of them went top 3 because one of the Big 3 fell). Or one of the Big 3 falls to 5, then awesome--take him and get something figured out with Grant.

A trade up with Grant and #5 should be last resort if someone else is making Sacramento consider a trade out.

But yeah it would be nice if Sacramento just stays still and takes Murray leaving us with Ivey and Grant

I look at it this way--there are the Big 3, Ivey and Murray. The Pistons don't have to do a damn thing and they're getting one of those five players, period; no if's, and's or but's about it. And IMO that's fine; just keep it at that.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#3226 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:50 pm

Manocad wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

I look at it this way--there are the Big 3, Ivey and Murray. The Pistons don't have to do a damn thing and they're getting one of those five players, period; no if's, and's or but's about it. And IMO that's fine; just keep it at that.

I like Ivey's potential more and im willing to dump Grant as a last resort to get him if thats all it takes.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#3227 » by rmfc » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:24 pm

I think Ivey will be available at #5. If he's gone, just draft Murray/Mathurin.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,120

Post#3228 » by NYPiston » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:29 pm

I'm seeing rumors of everything from some teams wanting to trade up to 4 for Murray to others wanting to trade up to 4 for Ivey to the Kings love Murray to the Pistons love Mathurin to the Pistons are confident about Ivey being there at 5 to, most recently, the Knicks apparently offered 11th+Reddish for #5 to now the Knicks have offered a whole crapload of picks and players for #4. It's becoming the height of stupid and silly rumor season. 2 more days....
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#3229 » by tmorgan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:55 pm

I’ve been less than enthused on Ivey, but I’m not gonna lie… him being a Pistons fan, a Cade fan, that means a lot to me. I’m ok with him now. I’m not OK giving up assets to get him with the choices we’ll have at 5, but that’s not something I can control.

I will say this… whoever he plays for, Ivey is going to torch SL. That level of play with that much space isn’t ready for him.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#3230 » by joedumars1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:00 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
joedumars1 wrote:If we get jaden hopefully cade rubs off on him not the other way around. Tho cade seems very confident and don’t think others can influence him. Idk how they’ll work together. If Ivey gets a good 3pt % they will work very good
What do you mean? You acting like Ivey is a bad character guy.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app

The guy passed up a first round contract to return to school and improve his draft stock and work on his game. He also made huge improvements since then. He also has a great upbringing.

Ivey wants to be in Detroit. Hes also clearly the best prospect after the big 3. Go get him!

It’s not bad character, but maybe immature and he seemed like a me bigger than team guy in the game against Iowa I seen. It’s a small sample, just worried if we losing he might become a problem, hopefully I’m wrong and he’s the best teammate ever and gets a 3 ball, then the sky is the limit for him and cade
Jsindto
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#3231 » by Jsindto » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:05 pm

tmorgan wrote:I’ve been less than enthused on Ivey, but I’m not gonna lie… him being a Pistons fan, a Cade fan, that means a lot to me. I’m ok with him now. I’m not OK giving up assets to get him with the choices we’ll have at 5, but that’s not something I can control.

I will say this… whoever he plays for, Ivey is going to torch SL. That level of play with that much space isn’t ready for him.

If the Pistons end up with Ivey, I would love to see Killian in SL. Because if he isn't, Ivey will be the true PG and I'd rather see him in a combo guard role like he will be for the Pistons.

If they end up with Murray, then I'm good with no Killian since I'd want to see what Murray can do as a creator, if anything.
joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#3232 » by joeposh » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:18 pm

Unless Weaver sees Ivey as an absolute game changing talent in a tier above Murray or Ben Math, I think we sit back and let the Kings do their thing at 4 and then do our BPA from there. I think it's clear that a number of players that Detroit would be happy to pick at 5 and it's not worth burning assets to move up if you don't see a huge gap.

I think the biggest question is, what happens with Grant? If Murray is the pick, it feels like we have to offload him and can hopefully do it to get back into this draft. But with Portland seeming like a pipe dream, I wonder how and where that happens for us. If it's Ben Math, I can see holding out a bit longer and waiting to see the fit and our FA options (should a sign and trade emerge).
joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#3233 » by joeposh » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:28 pm

I also think that the Kings are kind of stuck in a game of chicken here. If they are hoping to flip their pick to cash in on Ivey's value and still pick up Murray, there's no easy play as we're sitting right there at 5 and could easily swipe him. So even if the Pacers put together a good package that includes the 6 pick, they could be stuck with a slate of options they don't like. All of which makes me think they'll price themselves out of a trade given what they need some assurance that it will be worth it even if Murray isn't there.

But again, it's the Kings, so who the hell knows.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#3234 » by rmfc » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:06 pm

tmorgan wrote:I’ve been less than enthused on Ivey, but I’m not gonna lie… him being a Pistons fan, a Cade fan, that means a lot to me. I’m ok with him now. I’m not OK giving up assets to get him with the choices we’ll have at 5, but that’s not something I can control.

Cade-Ivey has the potential to be an elite backcourt combo. Ivey could put so much pressure on the opposition that they won't ever be able double team Cade.

Let's see what happens on draft night. Hoping for the best for the Pistons.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#3235 » by Manocad » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:25 pm

joeposh wrote:I also think that the Kings are kind of stuck in a game of chicken here. If they are hoping to flip their pick to cash in on Ivey's value and still pick up Murray, there's no easy play as we're sitting right there at 5 and could easily swipe him. So even if the Pacers put together a good package that includes the 6 pick, they could be stuck with a slate of options they don't like. All of which makes me think they'll price themselves out of a trade given what they need some assurance that it will be worth it even if Murray isn't there.

Absolutely it's a game of chicken. And in that scenario Weaver could play it as "Hey, you can trade DOWN and save yourselves a million a year in guaranteed salary; what will you give for me to trade up and take Ivey at 4 so you can get Murray at 5?"
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#3236 » by Canadafan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:39 am

Manocad wrote:
joeposh wrote:I also think that the Kings are kind of stuck in a game of chicken here. If they are hoping to flip their pick to cash in on Ivey's value and still pick up Murray, there's no easy play as we're sitting right there at 5 and could easily swipe him. So even if the Pacers put together a good package that includes the 6 pick, they could be stuck with a slate of options they don't like. All of which makes me think they'll price themselves out of a trade given what they need some assurance that it will be worth it even if Murray isn't there.

Absolutely it's a game of chicken. And in that scenario Weaver could play it as "Hey, you can trade DOWN and save yourselves a million a year in guaranteed salary; what will you give for me to trade up and take Ivey at 4 so you can get Murray at 5?"

Hell ya that's a good point. That's why I'd prefer we hold onto Grant and use that chip to try for Ayton or get us back in the draft. Kings can have COJO now that he opted in :lol: but ya, we can toss them a couple 2nds or we hold and draft who's left
Rodman
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#3237 » by Rodman » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:35 am

Not a fan of ivy although if they select him I'm going to root for him.. Not a fan of Murray doesn't create offense off the dribble. Take Sharpe and wait until he matures. No one expects them to make playoffs next year. Take best player and be patient.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#3238 » by whitehops » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:57 am

yeah... with all the rumours flying about i'm just in the mindset that i'm good with where we're at. obviously the kings are in the driving seat with the first pick after the "big 3" but i'm good with either murray or ivey (atm i'd prefer murray).

if we end up getting a second FRP it would be awesome to grab another guard/wing like agbaji, jalen williams or branham. it is probably too optimistic to hope for duren, daniels, mathurin, or sochan since we don't really have the assets to grab another top 10 pick.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#3239 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:20 am

Sam Vs final big board of the season came out in his just released draft guide. He mentioned he had no tier 1 prospects this season. Last season he had one which was Cade makes since. He has 4 guys with a T2 grade this go round including Ivey.

RANK PLAYER, SCHOOL/TEAM POS. AGE HT. WING. TIER
01 Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga C 20 7-0 7-6 2
02 Jabari Smith Jr., Auburn F 19 6-10 7-1 2
03 Paolo Banchero, Duke F 19 6-10 7-1 2
04 Jaden Ivey, Purdue G 20 6-4 N/A 2
05 Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona W 20 6-6 6-9 3
06 Jeremy Sochan, Baylor W/F 19 6-9 7-0 3
07 Dyson Daniels, G League Ignite G 19 6-7 6-11 3
08 Keegan Murray, Iowa F 21 6-8 6-11 3
09 Shaedon Sharpe, Kentucky W 19 6-5 7-0 3
10 Johnny Davis, Wisconsin G 20 6-6 6-9 4
11 AJ Griffin, Duke F 18 6-6 6-11 4
12 Jalen Duren, Memphis F/C 18 6-11 7-5 4
13 Tari Eason, LSU F 21 6-8 7-2 4
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#3240 » by BDM22 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:25 am

Rodman wrote:Not a fan of ivy although if they select him I'm going to root for him.. Not a fan of Murray doesn't create offense off the dribble. Take Sharpe and wait until he matures. No one expects them to make playoffs next year. Take best player and be patient.

The irony here is that Sharpe is a guy who couldn't even beat high school defenders off the dribble. You want an off-the-dribble guy take Ivey. You want the most polished all-around game take Murray. You want a guy who looks best on a combine measurables report but doesn't play basketball take Sharpe.

Return to Detroit Pistons