No votes
E
4%

Total votes: 80

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,752

Re: Welcome to Detroit Cade Cunningham!!! 

Post#81 » by Snakebites » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:26 pm

chrbal wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I'm not sure I can endure another season where we're bad enough to get that type of player.

Not that I have a choice.

See you in mid April.

We possibly won’t be that bad, but I can’t see the Pistons being that much better.

Yeah, I agree- we're very likely going to be pretty bad- maybe even in the neighborhood of how bad we were this past year. And in the long run it might end up being for the best.

I'm at the point where I'd personally rather see us take internal strides, even if it means a somewhat lower lottery pick. As I said, though, it's not like I get a choice.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#82 » by chrbal » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:24 pm

Snakebites wrote:
chrbal wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I'm not sure I can endure another season where we're bad enough to get that type of player.

See you in mid April.

We possibly won’t be that bad, but I can’t see the Pistons being that much better.

Yeah, I agree- we're very likely going to be pretty bad- maybe even in the neighborhood of how bad we were this past year. And in the long run it might end up being for the best.

I'm at the point where I'd personally rather see us take internal strides, even if it means a somewhat lower lottery pick. As I said, though, it's not like I get a choice.

Honestly this season for me is, in no particular order;

Is sekou doing anything in terms of improving

Hows Killian Hayes rookie season take two going

Cade Cunningham’s progress

Stewart and Beys progress

Does this team mesh well

Does keeping Grant make sense

Who else is worth keeping
——-

Nothing about wins, stats or accolades

I’ve seen people talk play in tournament (yay?), and I’ve seen people act like we’ve built a treadmill because of summer league scrimmages.

We’re in year two of a rebuild plan, I don’t see the point in getting to up and down about team record improvements.

Considering the alternatives, I’m cool with another season of growing pains so to speak.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#83 » by Snakebites » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:27 pm

chrbal wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
chrbal wrote:
See you in mid April.

Does this team mesh well

——-

I’ve seen people talk play in tournament (yay?), and I’ve seen people act like we’ve built a treadmill because of summer league scrimmages.

We’re in year two of a rebuild plan, I don’t see the point in getting to up and down about team record improvements.

Considering the alternatives, I’m cool with another season of growing pains so to speak.

My main hope is that Cade plays well and that our sophomores continue to develop.

And if those things happen it will likely lead to more wins.

I'm not hoping for wins directly, but to me a similar outcome to last year in terms of wins will likely mean less progress from individual players than I'd like to see. It's very possible, but I don't want to see it. I'd rather see us see progress from them and end up in the 7-10 hole in terms of the lottery.

Some may disagree, and that's fine.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#84 » by Pharaoh » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:51 pm

Snakebites wrote:
chrbal wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Yeah, I agree- we're very likely going to be pretty bad- maybe even in the neighborhood of how bad we were this past year. And in the long run it might end up being for the best.

Does this team mesh well

——-

My main hope is that Cade plays well and that our sophomores continue to develop.

I'm not hoping for wins directly, but to me a similar outcome to last year in terms of wins will likely mean less progress from individual players than I'd like to see. It's very possible, but I don't want to see it. I'd rather see us see progress from them and end up in the 7-10 hole in terms of the lottery.

That's my preferred outcome but I look around the league and struggle to find 7 teams we'll be better than.

More due to experience than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#85 » by hoophabit » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:49 pm

I'm on the more hopeful side. This team was often in games last year that they failed to finish. It would be ominous if the addition of #1 pick Cade doesn't result in more wins. Further, Weaver has arranged for a decent level of continuity as to roster. I'll be disappointed if we're drafting in the top few picks. I mean, it's a nice consolation prize, but better team performance helps the team negotiate with the $ that come free with the end of the Griffin contract. Better to look like a team on the rise.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,083

Post#86 » by NYPiston » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:22 pm

Looking around the league and how so many teams loaded up this offseason, it's hard to envision the Pistons crawling out of the top 5. In the East alone, there seems to be a clear bottom tier of Cleveland, Orlando and Detroit and it doesn't seem all that close unless one thinks that missing Lowry is going to sewer the Raptors that badly or maybe if the Wizards trade Beal at some point? Teams that are heavily reliant on 1st and 2nd year players usually get torched in the NBA.

I hear you though, I'm certainly not rooting for a bad season like I was last season now that they got their high end talent in Cade and it's going to be difficult to go through a 3rd straight tank season (lets be honest, they would have picked even higher if Covid didn't hit in '19-'20) but it seems inevitable that they'll be near the bottom again when looking at the league as a whole.

Honestly, another season of young player growth and adding another high end prospect to the stable headed into an offseason in which they'll have tons of cap space wouldn't be the worst thing in the world even if it means another year of pain. If they overachieve and make a run at a play in, all the more better. This is a win win type of season as far as I'm concerned with the only thing derailing it being regression of most of the young talent and Cade bombing his rookie season.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#87 » by Snakebites » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:46 pm

NYPiston wrote:

Looking around the league and how so many teams loaded up this offseason, it's hard to envision the Pistons crawling out of the top 5. In the East alone, there seems to be a clear bottom tier of Cleveland, Orlando and Detroit and it doesn't seem all that close unless one thinks that missing Lowry is going to sewer the Raptors that badly or maybe if the Wizards trade Beal at some point? Teams that are heavily reliant on 1st and 2nd year players usually get torched in the NBA.

I hear you though, I'm certainly not rooting for a bad season like I was last season now that they got their high end talent in Cade and it's going to be difficult to go through a 3rd straight tank season (lets be honest, they would have picked even higher if Covid didn't hit in '19-'20) but it seems inevitable that they'll be near the bottom again when looking at the league as a whole.

Honestly, another season of young player growth and adding another high end prospect to the stable headed into an offseason in which they'll have tons of cap space wouldn't be the worst thing in the world even if it means another year of pain. If they overachieve and make a run at a play in, all the more better. This is a win win type of season as far as I'm concerned with the only thing derailing it being regression of most of the young talent and Cade bombing his rookie season.

I do actually think the Raptors could be close-they weren’t that far off from the bottom rung with Lowry last season.

But yeah, in broad strokes it’s hard to argue we won’t be bottom 5 in the East at the very least. Still could be bottom 5 overall too. Play-in is out of the question barring multiple meteoric rises from young players that nobody saw coming.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,083

Post#88 » by NYPiston » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:07 pm

Snakebites wrote:I do actually think the Raptors could be close-they weren’t that far off from the bottom rung with Lowry last season.

But yeah, in broad strokes it’s hard to argue we won’t be bottom 5 in the East at the very least. Still could be bottom 5 overall too. Play-in is out of the question barring multiple meteoric rises from young players that nobody saw coming.

COVID arguably hit the Raptors harder than any other team, plus them playing away from home probably factored in somewhat too so I don't think last season is indicative of what they'll be going forward but, who knows, maybe it is.

In any event, it's interesting that you can pick out a clear bottom 5 before the season starts but OKC, Houston, Cleveland, Orlando and Detroit seem separated from the rest of the pack, on paper. OKC and Orlando in particular could be REALLY bad, Houston too if Wall and a few of their vets lose motivation.

I think the only contenders to the bottom 5, not taking injury into account, is perhaps Toronto, San Antonio? (although Pop), maaybe Minnesota? It's a small list. Lots of good teams this season, moreso than normal it appears.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#89 » by Snakebites » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:44 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I do actually think the Raptors could be close-they weren’t that far off from the bottom rung with Lowry last season.

COVID arguably hit the Raptors harder than any other team, plus them playing away from home probably factored in somewhat too so I don't think last season is indicative of what they'll be going forward but, who knows, maybe it is.

In any event, it's interesting that you can pick out a clear bottom 5 before the season starts but OKC, Houston, Cleveland, Orlando and Detroit seem separated from the rest of the pack, on paper. OKC and Orlando in particular could be REALLY bad, Houston too if Wall and a few of their vets lose motivation.

I think the only contenders to the bottom 5, not taking injury into account, is perhaps Toronto, San Antonio? (although Pop), maaybe Minnesota? It's a small list. Lots of good teams this season, moreso than normal it appears.

There’s usually a surprise awful team in there somewhere, but yeah, this seems close to correct.

The Spurs could easily go full tank- they look very very bad.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#90 » by FloridaMan78 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:45 pm

NYPiston wrote:

I agree that it would take major improvements from our young players and Cade being historically good to make the play in. However, if we’re as bad as last year I would be pretty disappointed.

I do think that we weren’t as bad as our record either though. We purposefully lost some games at the end by not taking timeouts and not drawing up plays and game planning. We were more of a 24 win team last year, better than Orl, Cleveland, and Toronto was. Toronto was weakened, but still a question mark going in this year.

We should be better this year. Josh Jackson took the second most shots last year. That shouldn’t happen this year and that alone will make our offense a lot better.

No more bricked threes from Sekou. No more non taken threes from Cook. Cade, Olynyk, Lyles, Livers will be taking all those threes which should take us from one of the worst three point shooting teams to at least average. Sekou and Josh Jackson alone took 362 three pointers last year. Josh Jacskon shot 30% Sekou 22% from three.

I expect Stewart and Bey to be better this year and Cade should take all of Josh Jackson’s shots. That should be good for at least 5 more wins next year. If they’re below 30 wins next year I would be disappointed.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#91 » by whitehops » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:10 pm

this is the most boring part of the NBA calendar for fans so why don't we guess what cade's stats are going to be this season?

32 MPG
18 PPG (57 TS%)
6 RPG
5 APG
38% from 3 on 6 attempts.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#92 » by MotownMadness » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:57 pm

whitehops wrote:this is the most boring part of the NBA calendar for fans so why don't we guess what cade's stats are going to be this season?

32 MPG
18 PPG (57 TS%)
6 RPG
5 APG

Probably something like that just a tad lower on the rebs and ast.

18.5 ppg
4.5 rpg
3.5 ast

(I'll stay with my .5s cause I can't decide)
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#93 » by Snakebites » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:39 pm

whitehops wrote:this is the most boring part of the NBA calendar for fans so why don't we guess what cade's stats are going to be this season?

32 MPG
18 PPG (57 TS%)
6 RPG
5 APG

This would be a dream.
whitehops
General Manager

Post#94 » by whitehops » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:23 pm

Snakebites wrote:

32 MPG
18 PPG (57 TS%)
6 RPG
5 APG

This would be a dream.

it would be comparable to what ROY contenders put up.
Tecmo
Senior
And1: 219

Post#95 » by Tecmo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:31 pm

32 MPG
18 PPG (57 TS%)
6 RPG
5 APG

I'm thinking fairly similar to what you posted.

31 MPG
17.7 PPG
3.7 RPG
7.7 APG

I think we'll se him excel in the assist department, rebounding not so much.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#96 » by Spider156 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:40 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Does this team mesh well

——-

That's my preferred outcome but I look around the league and struggle to find 7 teams we'll be better than.

More due to experience than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app

The reason is because the league is healthy right now during the offseason. There’s always a heartbreaker or two before the season starts not that I’m hoping for there to be but injuries are quite common knowing how fast the game is played. So when an injury takes out a major player the team’s record can completely change let alone teams plagued with injuries. It can happen to any team and it’s happened often to us. So on paper no we are bottom 5 again this season. But in real time, anything goes in this league is what I learned. Just saw Phoenix vs Bucks, neither should be in the Finals if the competition was healthy.
Defense wins championships
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#97 » by mattao313 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:42 pm

32 MPG
18 PPG (57 TS%)
6 RPG
5 APG
16-6-4 53ts

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#98 » by DBC10 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:35 pm

whitehops wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

32 MPG
18 PPG (57 TS%)
6 RPG
5 APG

This would be a dream.

it would be comparable to what ROY contenders put up.

I believe historically him averaging 18 a game with those rebounds and assists would put him fairly near all star territory. It really would be a dream like Snake said.

I think he'll be closer to 16pt, 6rb, 4 ast
Still think our spacing is definitely off even with the KO acquisition. Not to mention Jerami will need to be force fed some shots to be productive too just to take pressure off of broken plays
whitehops
General Manager

Post#99 » by whitehops » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:18 pm

DBC10 wrote:I believe historically him averaging 18 a game with those rebounds and assists would put him fairly near all star territory. It really would be a dream like Snake said.

I think he'll be closer to 16pt, 6rb, 4 ast
Still think our spacing is definitely off even with the KO acquisition. Not to mention Jerami will need to be force fed some shots to be productive too just to take pressure off of broken plays

historically maybe but in recent years there has been a huge uptick in 20 PPG scorers. last season there were 31 in the league.

rookie numbers in recent years:
anthony edwards - 19/5/3
lamelo ball - 16/6/6
zion williamson - 23/6/2
ja morant - 18/4/7
luka doncic - 21/8/7
trae young - 19/4/8
collin sexton - 17/3/3

that's in the past three seasons alone, so i think 18/6/5 is definitely in the realm of possibility for cade.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#100 » by vege » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:39 am

Imagine if he was 6'8

Return to Detroit Pistons