ImageImageImage

Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

Liqourish
RealGM
Posts: 14,554
And1: 2,037
Joined: Oct 03, 2005
       

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#21 » by Liqourish » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:49 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Winslow was projected to be a higher pick in that draft then he was. Winslow is the exact type of player Ainge would aim for. I heard this rumor alot at the time and I believe it. SVG was a bad GM.

Remember SVG is the same guy who tried to get Blake to save his job on his exit. When every member of the national media and some fans knew it was a complete awful trade. That pick he traded would of been a guy like MPjr or Miles Bridges. Miles Bridges right now is breaking out. Not to mention we gave up other stuff in that trade.


We all knew Gores made SVG get Blake because he had a relationship with him in L.A. I'm as upset about SVG as the next guy, but let's not rewrite history here.
buzzkilloton
Starter
Posts: 2,489
And1: 1,176
Joined: Feb 20, 2017
 

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#22 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:45 am

Liqourish wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Winslow was projected to be a higher pick in that draft then he was. Winslow is the exact type of player Ainge would aim for. I heard this rumor alot at the time and I believe it. SVG was a bad GM.

Remember SVG is the same guy who tried to get Blake to save his job on his exit. When every member of the national media and some fans knew it was a complete awful trade. That pick he traded would of been a guy like MPjr or Miles Bridges. Miles Bridges right now is breaking out. Not to mention we gave up other stuff in that trade.


We all knew Gores made SVG get Blake because he had a relationship with him in L.A. I'm as upset about SVG as the next guy, but let's not rewrite history here.


SVG was the GM/coach. Its not Gores taking calls from other teams to discuss players. The only people who say this are a few fans. Gores might of said ok to the deal itself because hes paying the bills but SVG is the guy making moves. If SVG didnt want to do it you best believe he would of mentioned it tot he media by now as it was a complete failure of a move that makes him look bad.
Fade for Cade
Liqourish
RealGM
Posts: 14,554
And1: 2,037
Joined: Oct 03, 2005
       

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#23 » by Liqourish » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:52 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Liqourish wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Winslow was projected to be a higher pick in that draft then he was. Winslow is the exact type of player Ainge would aim for. I heard this rumor alot at the time and I believe it. SVG was a bad GM.

Remember SVG is the same guy who tried to get Blake to save his job on his exit. When every member of the national media and some fans knew it was a complete awful trade. That pick he traded would of been a guy like MPjr or Miles Bridges. Miles Bridges right now is breaking out. Not to mention we gave up other stuff in that trade.


We all knew Gores made SVG get Blake because he had a relationship with him in L.A. I'm as upset about SVG as the next guy, but let's not rewrite history here.


SVG was the GM/coach. Its not Gores taking calls from other teams to discuss players. The only people who say this are a few fans. Gores might of said ok to the deal itself because hes paying the bills but SVG is the guy making moves. If SVG didnt want to do it you best believe he would of mentioned it tot he media by now as it was a complete failure of a move that makes him look bad.


Revisionist. We all knew it was Gores. We talked about it at the time. Even saying it undermined what SVG was doing.
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 24,293
And1: 3,773
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#24 » by bstein14 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:57 pm

I don't think I've ever read anything about it being Gores specifically wanting Blake, it was more so Gores letting SVG he needs a win now move because SVG's years of being a lottery team were up. That was the feel part part of that trade, it was an all in type trade when we were still so far away from being anything, especially when we didn't know how Blake and Drummond would fit.

The right trade at that time would have been to move on from Drummond, Jackson, Morris, etc for whatever younger talent and picks we could get in return and then go out and draft someone like MPJr or SGA in that draft.... or even Miles Bridges, Mikal Brides, Trae Young, etc. That draft ended up being loaded and if we would have went the other way it could have been a huge alliterated rebuild but when your franchise is all-in on Drummond as a max player you're never going to go anywhere.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 65,207
And1: 9,132
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#25 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:05 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Liqourish wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Winslow was projected to be a higher pick in that draft then he was. Winslow is the exact type of player Ainge would aim for. I heard this rumor alot at the time and I believe it. SVG was a bad GM.

Remember SVG is the same guy who tried to get Blake to save his job on his exit. When every member of the national media and some fans knew it was a complete awful trade. That pick he traded would of been a guy like MPjr or Miles Bridges. Miles Bridges right now is breaking out. Not to mention we gave up other stuff in that trade.


We all knew Gores made SVG get Blake because he had a relationship with him in L.A. I'm as upset about SVG as the next guy, but let's not rewrite history here.


SVG was the GM/coach. Its not Gores taking calls from other teams to discuss players. The only people who say this are a few fans. Gores might of said ok to the deal itself because hes paying the bills but SVG is the guy making moves. If SVG didnt want to do it you best believe he would of mentioned it tot he media by now as it was a complete failure of a move that makes him look bad.

Early Tuesday morning, Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores released a statement after his team acquired five-time All-Star Blake Griffin from the Los Angeles Clippers.

“We are serious about winning, and this is a major move to improve our team,” Gores said in the statement. “Blake Griffin is one of the NBA’s elite players, and when you get an opportunity to add that kind of talent, you take it.”

Yeah, Gores had nothing to do with getting Blake. If you want to play the constant contrarian you need to do your research and pick your spots a little better.
Image
User avatar
MrBigShot
RealGM
Posts: 13,636
And1: 10,505
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
 

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#26 » by MrBigShot » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:20 am

4 of those are late firsts and one is a second. Hindsight is 20/20, if Stanley become the player we thought he might be then this wouldn't have been brought up.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
buzzkilloton
Starter
Posts: 2,489
And1: 1,176
Joined: Feb 20, 2017
 

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#27 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:02 am

Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Liqourish wrote:
We all knew Gores made SVG get Blake because he had a relationship with him in L.A. I'm as upset about SVG as the next guy, but let's not rewrite history here.


SVG was the GM/coach. Its not Gores taking calls from other teams to discuss players. The only people who say this are a few fans. Gores might of said ok to the deal itself because hes paying the bills but SVG is the guy making moves. If SVG didnt want to do it you best believe he would of mentioned it tot he media by now as it was a complete failure of a move that makes him look bad.

Early Tuesday morning, Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores released a statement after his team acquired five-time All-Star Blake Griffin from the Los Angeles Clippers.

“We are serious about winning, and this is a major move to improve our team,” Gores said in the statement. “Blake Griffin is one of the NBA’s elite players, and when you get an opportunity to add that kind of talent, you take it.”

Yeah, Gores had nothing to do with getting Blake. If you want to play the constant contrarian you need to do your research and pick your spots a little better.


This quote means nothing whatsoever. Ofc Gores said positive things and even liked the trade when SVG brought it to him.WE wouldnt make this kind of move without Gores also being ok with with. Gores wanted to make the playoffs but dont think that SVG had some diff vision. SVG was always vocal against tanking and made moves to win games while he was there.

Still I'm not sure why you guys assume coke head Gores is taking calls and making basketball decisions for the Pistons. He gave SVG a ton of money SVG was the guy making decisions for the team he was the coach and basically the GM. SVG only agreed to come here over a talented team like the Warriors because he had ALL the power. If this was a Gores move SVG would of said so by now. SVG got screwed by Riley if Gores screwed him and made him look stupid then we would of heard about it.

“The hardest thing to do in this league is to get a proven star,” Van Gundy said Tuesday morning. “It’s just very hard to do. It’s hard to do in free agency, it’s hard to do in trades.

“You get very few opportunities to do it. The guy’s a five-time All-Star, he’s been an All-NBA guy. (He’s one of the) top-15 guys in the league. He’s only 28 years old. We know the injury history. That’s the risk on it, but that risk was worth it because of the talent we’re bringing back.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/01/30/detroit-pistons-blake-griffin-stan-van-gundy/1079253001/
Fade for Cade
DetroitSho
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,070
And1: 1,750
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#28 » by DetroitSho » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:05 am

^^^^^ your move Mano

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Warspite
RealGM
Posts: 13,259
And1: 1,071
Joined: Dec 13, 2003
Location: Surprise AZ
Contact:
       

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#29 » by Warspite » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:00 am

What does it matter what picks or who SVG drafted? He couldnt develop any young players and that is the #1 reason why he was fired. Truth is he didnt want to develop young players.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 14,569
And1: 3,783
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#30 » by Pharaoh » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:14 am

Warspite wrote:What does it matter what picks or who SVG drafted? He couldnt develop any young players and that is the #1 reason why he was fired. Truth is he didnt want to develop young players.
THIS!

Not only did we draft poorly I can't recall a SVG pick that panned out.

Did I forget someone?

Perhaps SVG was more into scouting the pros? I used to see numerous different clips of him talking about 1 scout per division who should watch every single game in that division then when you're discussing trades and free agents you get them all together to discuss whatever players.

Our draft record under Joe and SVG was pretty poor tbh

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
440BB
Pro Prospect
Posts: 924
And1: 498
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#31 » by 440BB » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:53 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Still I'm not sure why you guys assume coke head Gores is taking calls and making basketball decisions for the Pistons. /

I've seen a couple of posts over time accusing Gores of being a "coke head". Is it just a matter of opinion, name calling, or is there a link to any facts to back it up?
buzzkilloton
Starter
Posts: 2,489
And1: 1,176
Joined: Feb 20, 2017
 

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#32 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:16 pm

440BB wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Still I'm not sure why you guys assume coke head Gores is taking calls and making basketball decisions for the Pistons. /

I've seen a couple of posts over time accusing Gores of being a "coke head". Is it just a matter of opinion, name calling, or is there a link to any facts to back it up?


https://www.reddit.com/r/DetroitPistons/comments/8twxz4/owner_on_crack/

Just a rumor no real truth to it. Its something that fans say as a joke due to some of his behavior and seeing him boozed up at games. Similar to people saying "Gores underminded SVG to trade for Blake". Just a rumor no real truth to it. Just in my case I can admit its a rumor while others want to argue a rumor as truth.

All that said Gores is a scumbag. He made billions by charging inmates absurd prices on phone calls. One of his companies was charged for inflating the costs so much and bribing to get exclusive contracts. He also had an affair with his brothers wife so deserves to get **** being a rich scumbag.
Fade for Cade
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 65,207
And1: 9,132
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#33 » by Manocad » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
SVG was the GM/coach. Its not Gores taking calls from other teams to discuss players. The only people who say this are a few fans. Gores might of said ok to the deal itself because hes paying the bills but SVG is the guy making moves. If SVG didnt want to do it you best believe he would of mentioned it tot he media by now as it was a complete failure of a move that makes him look bad.

Early Tuesday morning, Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores released a statement after his team acquired five-time All-Star Blake Griffin from the Los Angeles Clippers.

“We are serious about winning, and this is a major move to improve our team,” Gores said in the statement. “Blake Griffin is one of the NBA’s elite players, and when you get an opportunity to add that kind of talent, you take it.”

Yeah, Gores had nothing to do with getting Blake. If you want to play the constant contrarian you need to do your research and pick your spots a little better.


This quote means nothing whatsoever. Ofc Gores said positive things and even liked the trade when SVG brought it to him.WE wouldnt make this kind of move without Gores also being ok with with. Gores wanted to make the playoffs but dont think that SVG had some diff vision. SVG was always vocal against tanking and made moves to win games while he was there.

Still I'm not sure why you guys assume coke head Gores is taking calls and making basketball decisions for the Pistons. He gave SVG a ton of money SVG was the guy making decisions for the team he was the coach and basically the GM. SVG only agreed to come here over a talented team like the Warriors because he had ALL the power. If this was a Gores move SVG would of said so by now. SVG got screwed by Riley if Gores screwed him and made him look stupid then we would of heard about it.

“The hardest thing to do in this league is to get a proven star,” Van Gundy said Tuesday morning. “It’s just very hard to do. It’s hard to do in free agency, it’s hard to do in trades.

“You get very few opportunities to do it. The guy’s a five-time All-Star, he’s been an All-NBA guy. (He’s one of the) top-15 guys in the league. He’s only 28 years old. We know the injury history. That’s the risk on it, but that risk was worth it because of the talent we’re bringing back.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/01/30/detroit-pistons-blake-griffin-stan-van-gundy/1079253001/

No one said Gores was talking with other teams. That's not only a straw man you've built but a red herring as well. The idea that the owner will allow a GM to make any move he/she doesn't support is ridiculous, especially in this case where it's a very actively involved owner. I can put the same spin on your quote--this was all Gores' move, and of course SVG has to put a positive spin on it because he's not going to throw his boss under the bus. See how easy that was? Not to mention that you're trying to make a pointless argument over whose decision it ultimately was, and undermined your own argument in doing so. You've said that Gores wanted to make the playoffs but that SVG had a different vision, was against tanking, and made moves to win games while he was here. Now, I'm not a rocket scientist but aren't making the playoffs and making moves to win as many games as possible in an immediate time frame synonymous? I'm pretty sure they are.

But like a said, you've gone off on a tangent to prove that SVG was a bad GM--no argument there--in order to lend credence to the rumor. However SVG being a bad GM in no way, shape or form proves that this offer was actually on the table. You believe it? Fine. And it doesn't matter one bit.

Some of you guys crack me up. Find one little thing to gripe about, in the past no less, and you jump all over it like a group of gossiping old ladies.
Image
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 65,207
And1: 9,132
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#34 » by Manocad » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:19 pm

DetroitSho wrote:^^^^^ your move Mano

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Slingshot...engaged
Image
buzzkilloton
Starter
Posts: 2,489
And1: 1,176
Joined: Feb 20, 2017
 

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#35 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:44 pm

Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Yeah, Gores had nothing to do with getting Blake. If you want to play the constant contrarian you need to do your research and pick your spots a little better.


“You get very few opportunities to do it. The guy’s a five-time All-Star, he’s been an All-NBA guy. (He’s one of the) top-15 guys in the league. He’s only 28 years old. We know the injury history. That’s the risk on it, but that risk was worth it because of the talent we’re bringing back.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/01/30/detroit-pistons-blake-griffin-stan-van-gundy/1079253001/

No one said Gores was talking with other teams. That's not only a straw man you've built but a red herring as well. The idea that the owner will allow a GM to make any move he/she doesn't support is ridiculous, especially in this case where it's a very actively involved owner. I can put the same spin on your quote--this was all Gores' move, and of course SVG has to put a positive spin on it because he's not going to throw his boss under the bus. See how easy that was? Not to mention that you're trying to make a pointless argument over whose decision it ultimately was, and undermined your own argument in doing so. You've said that Gores wanted to make the playoffs but that SVG had a different vision, was against tanking, and made moves to win games while he was here. Now, I'm not a rocket scientist but aren't making the playoffs and making moves to win as many games as possible in an immediate time frame synonymous? I'm pretty sure they are.

But like a said, you've gone off on a tangent to prove that SVG was a bad GM--no argument there--in order to lend credence to the rumor. However SVG being a bad GM in no way, shape or form proves that this offer was actually on the table. You believe it? Fine. And it doesn't matter one bit.

Some of you guys crack me up. Find one little thing to gripe about, in the past no less, and you jump all over it like a group of gossiping old ladies.


I never once said Gores wasnt ok with the trade.

The comment was "We all know it was Gores he underminded SVG". This would mean Gores literally made the deal and SVG said "no dont do it".

SVG is the guy taking calls and talking to teams not Gores. SVG instead of hanging up thought "Blake can get me playoffs and save my job" and talked terms and the took it to Gores and said "we can get Blake". SVG was on the hot seat and Blake was a hail mary. Their was no undermining whatsoever. SVG wanted Blake Griffin and so did Gores.
Fade for Cade
440BB
Pro Prospect
Posts: 924
And1: 498
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#36 » by 440BB » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:51 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
440BB wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Still I'm not sure why you guys assume coke head Gores is taking calls and making basketball decisions for the Pistons. /

I've seen a couple of posts over time accusing Gores of being a "coke head". Is it just a matter of opinion, name calling, or is there a link to any facts to back it up?


https://www.reddit.com/r/DetroitPistons/comments/8twxz4/owner_on_crack/

Just a rumor no real truth to it. Its something that fans say as a joke due to some of his behavior and seeing him boozed up at games. Similar to people saying "Gores underminded SVG to trade for Blake". Just a rumor no real truth to it. Just in my case I can admit its a rumor while others want to argue a rumor as truth.

All that said Gores is a scumbag. He made billions by charging inmates absurd prices on phone calls. One of his companies was charged for inflating the costs so much and bribing to get exclusive contracts. He also had an affair with his brothers wife so deserves to get **** being a rich scumbag.


Thanks, looks like he should have bought the Sixers, city of brotherly love and all. :D
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 65,207
And1: 9,132
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#37 » by Manocad » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:10 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
“You get very few opportunities to do it. The guy’s a five-time All-Star, he’s been an All-NBA guy. (He’s one of the) top-15 guys in the league. He’s only 28 years old. We know the injury history. That’s the risk on it, but that risk was worth it because of the talent we’re bringing back.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/01/30/detroit-pistons-blake-griffin-stan-van-gundy/1079253001/

No one said Gores was talking with other teams. That's not only a straw man you've built but a red herring as well. The idea that the owner will allow a GM to make any move he/she doesn't support is ridiculous, especially in this case where it's a very actively involved owner. I can put the same spin on your quote--this was all Gores' move, and of course SVG has to put a positive spin on it because he's not going to throw his boss under the bus. See how easy that was? Not to mention that you're trying to make a pointless argument over whose decision it ultimately was, and undermined your own argument in doing so. You've said that Gores wanted to make the playoffs but that SVG had a different vision, was against tanking, and made moves to win games while he was here. Now, I'm not a rocket scientist but aren't making the playoffs and making moves to win as many games as possible in an immediate time frame synonymous? I'm pretty sure they are.

But like a said, you've gone off on a tangent to prove that SVG was a bad GM--no argument there--in order to lend credence to the rumor. However SVG being a bad GM in no way, shape or form proves that this offer was actually on the table. You believe it? Fine. And it doesn't matter one bit.

Some of you guys crack me up. Find one little thing to gripe about, in the past no less, and you jump all over it like a group of gossiping old ladies.


I never once said Gores wasnt ok with the trade.

The comment was "We all know it was Gores he underminded SVG". This would mean Gores literally made the deal and SVG said "no dont do it".

SVG is the guy taking calls and talking to teams not Gores. SVG instead of hanging up thought "Blake can get me playoffs and save my job" and talked terms and the took it to Gores and said "we can get Blake". SVG was on the hot seat and Blake was a hail mary. Their was no undermining whatsoever. SVG wanted Blake Griffin and so did Gores.

Which still in no way proves that Ainge offered four first round picks and two second round picks to move up to #8. Could it be true? Maybe. But "SVG was a lousy GM so it's probably true" is no kind of argument. Sounds to me like some circular reasoning on your part.
Image
buzzkilloton
Starter
Posts: 2,489
And1: 1,176
Joined: Feb 20, 2017
 

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#38 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:18 pm

Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:


I never once said Gores wasnt ok with the trade.

The comment was "We all know it was Gores he underminded SVG". This would mean Gores literally made the deal and SVG said "no dont do it".

SVG is the guy taking calls and talking to teams not Gores. SVG instead of hanging up thought "Blake can get me playoffs and save my job" and talked terms and the took it to Gores and said "we can get Blake". SVG was on the hot seat and Blake was a hail mary. Their was no undermining whatsoever. SVG wanted Blake Griffin and so did Gores.

Which still in no way proves that Ainge offered four first round picks and two second round picks to move up to #8. Could it be true? Maybe. But "SVG was a lousy GM so it's probably true" is no kind of argument. Sounds to me like some circular reasoning on your part.



https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/05/18/report-celtics-offered-monster-trade-package-for-justise-winslow-to-pistons-and-heat-not-just-hornets/


https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-celtics-wanted-to-trade-6-picks-for-hornets-no-9-pick/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2507739-baffling-draft-pick-places-major-pressure-on-danny-ainge-celtics-in-free-agency

Just stop bro.

"Bill Simmons of The Ringer on The Lowe Post podcast:

I know the Pistons passed on it. Whatever it was eight, nine, 10. It was Pistons passed. They offered the same thing. They wouldn’t even talk about it, because they wanted to take Stanley Johnson.

The ninth pick was Charlotte. Jordan couldn’t figure it out in time and finally didn’t do it, so they passed on those four picks, one of which would have been Jaylen Brown. Another one would have been Rozier.

And then the 10th pick, they called Riley, and Riley just laughed and hung up on them. Riley was like, “No, I’m taking Justise Winslow. I’ll talk to you guys later.”
Fade for Cade
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 65,207
And1: 9,132
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#39 » by Manocad » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:26 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
I never once said Gores wasnt ok with the trade.

The comment was "We all know it was Gores he underminded SVG". This would mean Gores literally made the deal and SVG said "no dont do it".

SVG is the guy taking calls and talking to teams not Gores. SVG instead of hanging up thought "Blake can get me playoffs and save my job" and talked terms and the took it to Gores and said "we can get Blake". SVG was on the hot seat and Blake was a hail mary. Their was no undermining whatsoever. SVG wanted Blake Griffin and so did Gores.

Which still in no way proves that Ainge offered four first round picks and two second round picks to move up to #8. Could it be true? Maybe. But "SVG was a lousy GM so it's probably true" is no kind of argument. Sounds to me like some circular reasoning on your part.



https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/05/18/report-celtics-offered-monster-trade-package-for-justise-winslow-to-pistons-and-heat-not-just-hornets/


https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-celtics-wanted-to-trade-6-picks-for-hornets-no-9-pick/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2507739-baffling-draft-pick-places-major-pressure-on-danny-ainge-celtics-in-free-agency

Just stop bro.

"Bill Simmons of The Ringer on The Lowe Post podcast:

I know the Pistons passed on it. Whatever it was eight, nine, 10. It was Pistons passed. They offered the same thing. They wouldn’t even talk about it, because they wanted to take Stanley Johnson.

The ninth pick was Charlotte. Jordan couldn’t figure it out in time and finally didn’t do it, so they passed on those four picks, one of which would have been Jaylen Brown. Another one would have been Rozier.

And then the 10th pick, they called Riley, and Riley just laughed and hung up on them. Riley was like, “No, I’m taking Justise Winslow. I’ll talk to you guys later.”

It hasn’t been revealed precisely which picks the Celtics offered. They had many stockpiled. A good bet is it including the No. 16 pick in 2015, which they used on Terry Rozier. I’m not sure whether Simmons is reporting or just supposing Boston offered the 2016 Nets pick (which became Jaylen Brown).

There’s enough variability in the picks and protections not to know just how good this offer was. But, even near the plausible minimum, it was pretty darn good.

To some degree, it’s just logical that if the Celtics wanted Winslow that badly, they would have made the same offer to every team in that range. But Danny Ainge admitted after the draft he might have gotten carried away. It seemed possible he didn’t go that far with Detroit on the clock and came to his senses with Miami picking.

BOOM.

Your own article states that it wasn't known what was offered to the Pistons or any team, for that matter; just supposition. As far as the second and third article, they don't even mention the Pistons, only that Ainge really wanted to trade up.

Just stop, bro.
Image
Liqourish
RealGM
Posts: 14,554
And1: 2,037
Joined: Oct 03, 2005
       

Re: Danny Ainge offered SVG 6 draft picks for #8(Stanley Johnson) in 2015 

Post#40 » by Liqourish » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:42 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
“You get very few opportunities to do it. The guy’s a five-time All-Star, he’s been an All-NBA guy. (He’s one of the) top-15 guys in the league. He’s only 28 years old. We know the injury history. That’s the risk on it, but that risk was worth it because of the talent we’re bringing back.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/01/30/detroit-pistons-blake-griffin-stan-van-gundy/1079253001/

No one said Gores was talking with other teams. That's not only a straw man you've built but a red herring as well. The idea that the owner will allow a GM to make any move he/she doesn't support is ridiculous, especially in this case where it's a very actively involved owner. I can put the same spin on your quote--this was all Gores' move, and of course SVG has to put a positive spin on it because he's not going to throw his boss under the bus. See how easy that was? Not to mention that you're trying to make a pointless argument over whose decision it ultimately was, and undermined your own argument in doing so. You've said that Gores wanted to make the playoffs but that SVG had a different vision, was against tanking, and made moves to win games while he was here. Now, I'm not a rocket scientist but aren't making the playoffs and making moves to win as many games as possible in an immediate time frame synonymous? I'm pretty sure they are.

But like a said, you've gone off on a tangent to prove that SVG was a bad GM--no argument there--in order to lend credence to the rumor. However SVG being a bad GM in no way, shape or form proves that this offer was actually on the table. You believe it? Fine. And it doesn't matter one bit.

Some of you guys crack me up. Find one little thing to gripe about, in the past no less, and you jump all over it like a group of gossiping old ladies.


I never once said Gores wasnt ok with the trade.

The comment was "We all know it was Gores he underminded SVG". This would mean Gores literally made the deal and SVG said "no dont do it".

SVG is the guy taking calls and talking to teams not Gores. SVG instead of hanging up thought "Blake can get me playoffs and save my job" and talked terms and the took it to Gores and said "we can get Blake". SVG was on the hot seat and Blake was a hail mary. Their was no undermining whatsoever. SVG wanted Blake Griffin and so did Gores.


Gores undermining SVG and taking personal phone calls are not one in the same. You are trying to take a scenario and re-frame it to fit your narrative. Then when people disagreed with you, you change the goalposts, its what you do.

Return to Detroit Pistons