Total votes: 46

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: Holy CRAP. FIRE CASEY. 

Post#61 » by mattao313 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 12:33 am

Manocad wrote:
vege wrote:
Billl wrote:If you just had Bey and Frank Jackson hitting at the same rate as last year, we would have 64 more points on the season. And that doesn't even count the buckets that would open up inside. It looks like frank might be coming around, but bey has a heck of a sophomore slump going.

Frank has been great the past 3-5 games already, Bey started super strong for the first 3 games or so and after that he has been a disaster.

Cade is also weird, he was bad his first summer league game (shooting wise) but after that he shot 40%, but now he is super inconsistent and absolutely awful.

Give it a rest, dude. Calling Cade “absolutely awful” is hyperbole to the max.
How is that hyperbole? Cade has been awful shooting the ball that's fact.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#62 » by vege » Wed Dec 1, 2021 12:44 am

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
vege wrote:
Frank has been great the past 3-5 games already, Bey started super strong for the first 3 games or so and after that he has been a disaster.

Cade is also weird, he was bad his first summer league game (shooting wise) but after that he shot 40%, but now he is super inconsistent and absolutely awful.

Give it a rest, dude. Calling Cade “absolutely awful” is hyperbole to the max.

He just want attention, just ignore it and continue with the thread :)
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#63 » by Manocad » Wed Dec 1, 2021 3:37 am

vege wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:Give it a rest, dude. Calling Cade “absolutely awful” is hyperbole to the max.

He just want attention, just ignore it and continue with the thread :)

:lol:
Says the guy running two accounts. You funny.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#64 » by Pharaoh » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:58 am

Anyone know what Kenny Atkinson is up to?

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#65 » by Liqourish » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:01 am

Pharaoh wrote:Anyone know what Kenny Atkinson is up to?

Last I heard, he was an assistant for the Warriors.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#66 » by whitehops » Fri Mar 4, 2022 9:44 pm

wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or which old thread to bump but here we are.

James Edwards from The Athletic recently put out a great (paid) article around the team meeting the pistons had after their loss against washington and their obvious turnaround since then: https://theathletic.com/3160374/2022/03/02/a-team-meeting-empowerment-and-culture-how-pistons-coach-dwane-casey-is-steering-detroit-in-the-right-direction/

“Coach Casey does a great job of getting us to see the process, the growth,” Bey said. “Once we see growth, we naturally believe. That’s just human nature. When you see growth and improvement, you come together more. We’ve seen improvements. It helps our morale. He does a great job of getting us to focus on the small things, the little things. He’s been there. He’s had the best record in the league, (been) the Coach of the Year.”

Players say that they have a sense of empowerment under Casey’s watch. He’s there to teach, but it’s not a dictatorship. Players have the ability to speak up, give input and, most importantly, be themselves.

“He never makes us young guys feel bad about asking a question if there’s something we don’t know or understand.” (Stewart)

i know a lot of people (myself, definitely included) think coaching is all about x's and o's but this article reminded me that being a head coach is as much about managing personalities, fostering culture, etc.

i think all things considered we're lucky to have casey lead us through the rebuild. imagine - however frustrated you feel watching games and seeing all the losses imagine how frustrated the team is? the fact that casey can go through all that and still have a positive attitude and try to foster a good culture means he must be up for a nobel prize in patience. he's obviously not a perfect coach but i think we should appreciate what he brings to our young team.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#67 » by Cowology » Fri Mar 4, 2022 11:48 pm

whitehops wrote:wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or which old thread to bump but here we are.

James Edwards from The Athletic recently put out a great (paid) article around the team meeting the pistons had after their loss against washington and their obvious turnaround since then: https://theathletic.com/3160374/2022/03/02/a-team-meeting-empowerment-and-culture-how-pistons-coach-dwane-casey-is-steering-detroit-in-the-right-direction/

“Coach Casey does a great job of getting us to see the process, the growth,” Bey said. “Once we see growth, we naturally believe. That’s just human nature. When you see growth and improvement, you come together more. We’ve seen improvements. It helps our morale. He does a great job of getting us to focus on the small things, the little things. He’s been there. He’s had the best record in the league, (been) the Coach of the Year.”

Players say that they have a sense of empowerment under Casey’s watch. He’s there to teach, but it’s not a dictatorship. Players have the ability to speak up, give input and, most importantly, be themselves.

“He never makes us young guys feel bad about asking a question if there’s something we don’t know or understand.” (Stewart)

i know a lot of people (myself, definitely included) think coaching is all about x's and o's but this article reminded me that being a head coach is as much about managing personalities, fostering culture, etc.

i think all things considered we're lucky to have casey lead us through the rebuild. imagine - however frustrated you feel watching games and seeing all the losses imagine how frustrated the team is? the fact that casey can go through all that and still have a positive attitude and try to foster a good culture means he must be up for a nobel prize in patience. he's obviously not a perfect coach but i think we should appreciate what he brings to our young team.
This is what I've been saying all season. Nobody wants to give the guy credit for player development. Nobody wants to credit him for guys playing hard, despite having one of the worst records in the league. Nobody wants to give the guy credit for the way the team executes & shares the ball on offense despite having a young & under-talented roster.

His job is not to win the most games possible. And yeah, he's not the greatest X&O guy. Yeah, sometimes his sub patterns suck. But every coach has their strengths & weaknesses and for where THIS team is at he's doing a good job IF you know what to actually look for.

2 years from now we may need to go a different direction in order to get us to that next level, but we can worry about that when we get there. For now Casey is the guy. Cut him some slack.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#68 » by mattao313 » Sat Mar 5, 2022 1:18 am

Could Casey step down or take another position with the organization when his contract is up?

I wouldn't mine keeping him around but not as a coach after his contract.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#69 » by Cowology » Sat Mar 5, 2022 1:44 am

mattao313 wrote:Could Casey step down or take another position with the organization when his contract is up?

He could go player development.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#70 » by zeebneeb » Sat Mar 5, 2022 2:30 am

Cowology wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Could Casey step down or take another position with the organization when his contract is up?

He could go player development.
That is exactly where he should be, and also maybe a go between a tougher coach and the players. He is an atrocious gameplanning coach, but he is good with the players on a personal level.
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#71 » by Southern Piston » Sat Mar 5, 2022 5:49 pm

He should go into development, we should look to bring in Darvin Ham
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#72 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Mar 5, 2022 7:28 pm

Maybe he is trying to lose on purpose to obtain another top 4 pick?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#73 » by DBC10 » Sat Mar 5, 2022 8:27 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Maybe he is trying to lose on purpose to obtain another top 4 pick?

I'm not even sure that's true. He still plays the best statistical lineups during the 4th quarter especially after the all star break

The guys (Cade, Bey, JG) are rolling and he's been playing them accordingly to match that
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#74 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 3:06 pm

When you have a young and developing roster, it's pretty tough to tell what's the fault of game management and what's the fault of the players not playing up to expectations. Sometimes at this level you're also giving players chances to show what they can do and sink or swim with that. This is exactly the type of year to be doing a lot of that experimentation. I think Casey criticism, in general, is overblown.
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#75 » by OhCanada1091 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:45 pm

He's good for rebuilding your team. Creates a structure, makes these young men professionals. But yeah he doesn't take advantage of matchups, hos rotations are fixed even if he's getting killed, he has rules he never looks past. Its tough. He doesn't feel the game out.
vege
RealGM

Post#76 » by vege » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:32 pm

OhCanada1091 wrote:He's good for rebuilding your team. Creates a structure, makes these young men professionals. But yeah he doesn't take advantage of matchups, hos rotations are fixed even if he's getting killed, he has rules he never looks past. Its tough. He doesn't feel the game out.

He's still good enough to Destroy Nurse tho.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#77 » by Pharaoh » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:39 pm

Think as long as Casey is coach we'll always be up to beat the Raptors.

Kind of shows that the players actually do care about him.

At some point Casey will be removed but we're a bit away from that right now. Once we're a perennial playoff team he'll need to be removed though with the idea being we need a new voice to get us over the hump.

Most coaches don't tend to last 5 years anyway but Casey might, consider we're in no rush.

WoyTreaver
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#78 » by WoyTreaver » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:37 am

Follow this thread while replacing “Casey” with “Monty”

This is a terrible roster with little draft capital. Been this way for years.

Maybe Norman Dale could lead this current group to the playoffs
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#79 » by Snakebites » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:18 am

It's always weird when someone bumps a thread that apparently predates them as a poster here.
vege
RealGM

Post#80 » by vege » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:03 am

He does have a point tho, and a lot of people are failing to understand it.

Monty have been bad, but the roster is the issue, and Tellem and Weaver are the responsable for it. They are the problem.

Return to Detroit Pistons