ImageImageImage

ROY WATCH STATS INCLUDED END OF SEASON SOON.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Re: ROY WATCH STATS INCLUDED END OF SEASON SOON. 

Post#321 » by Sort » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:35 pm

I am surprised that Barnes won over Mobley. Five years from now I still think it will be Cade, then Mobley, then probably Green, and then Barnes. It won't even be a matter of people remember the ROY race and thinking about how folks just missed Cade.

Barnes is an awesome competitor, and I'd love to have him on my team, but I think that blinded some folks to what's happening in the actual game.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,074

Post#322 » by MrBigShot » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:30 pm

Barnes played very well this season and I'm happy for him. Cade is a stud though and there is no player in the draft I'd rather have.

Also, whoever voted for Herb Jones should have their voting privileges taken away.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Re: ROY WATCH STATS INCLUDED+3 game winning streak! 

Post#323 » by flow » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:24 pm

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
flow wrote:
You blew it, mattao. Could have written your own ticket and won in a laugher.

Lmao I should have man. I'm not much of a gambler tho.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app

And that's really the only reason I offer these bets. People speak in a factual fashion about what WILL happen when it's not possible for them to know what will happen in the future. So my logic is always that if said person is so sure about what will happen, they'll certainly bet on it; I AM willing to bet they'll be wrong because I know they're just guessing. And 99% of the time said person doesn't take the bet which is simply an admission they don't know as much as they proclaim to know.

Let's be fair, though. In this particular exchange, you were the one speaking in factually predictive absolutes. Mattao was simply reporting that it looked like the others were making a push, and he surmised that Cade was probably in 3rd place at the moment.

Manocad wrote:

mattao313 wrote:
Looking like both Barnes and mobley are making a push for ROY Cade probably at 3rd place now.

I'll bet anything you want Cade finishes no worse than second
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#324 » by Manocad » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:31 pm

DBC10 wrote:
whitehops wrote:
Read on Twitter

3 voters didn't have cade in their top 3. can't wait for next season.

Vegas looked to be a bit surprised with that huge last minute push on Barnes that eventually was enough to get him over the hump. That March/April rookie of the month win for Barnes might have been the tipping point. As always, they look fairly accurate in the end when all said and done, they knew Cade wasn't going to win it outright and Barnes was always a great value pick

But the real loser here is Mobley, who basically was his to lose just with unfortunate injuries toward the end that did him in

Surprised? Vegas LOVED it that Barnes won. As I've tried to explain, while the Vegas oddsmakers are certainly very good at what they do they only set the opening the odds. The money being bet at that point takes over. The fact that Mobley remained a heavy betting favorite up until the end is a perfect demonstration of what I was talking about--heavy money had been bet on Mobley, and rightfully so. But those betting odds in no way guarantee he's the favorite to win; they're an indicator of where the money is being bet.

So simply put, heavy money got bet on Mobley and he didn't win. Vegas made out like bandits.
Manocad
RealGM

Re: ROY WATCH STATS INCLUDED+3 game winning streak! 

Post#325 » by Manocad » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:35 pm

flow wrote:
Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Lmao I should have man. I'm not much of a gambler tho.

And that's really the only reason I offer these bets. People speak in a factual fashion about what WILL happen when it's not possible for them to know what will happen in the future. So my logic is always that if said person is so sure about what will happen, they'll certainly bet on it; I AM willing to bet they'll be wrong because I know they're just guessing. And 99% of the time said person doesn't take the bet which is simply an admission they don't know as much as they proclaim to know.

Let's be fair, though. In this particular exchange, you were the one speaking in factually predictive absolutes. Mattao was simply reporting that it looked like the others were making a push, and he surmised that Cade was probably in 3rd place at the moment.

Manocad wrote:

mattao313 wrote:
Looking like both Barnes and mobley are making a push for ROY Cade probably at 3rd place now.

I'll bet anything you want Cade finishes no worse than second

You CAN read, right? I said I'd bet that Cade finishes no worse than second. That's not a guarantee of anything. I'm not dumb enough to speak in factual terms about what will will happen in the future. And I clearly explained why I present those bets; it's in specific instances where someone is posting like they have the some inside knowledge of what's going to happen when I know they don't, so I'm issuing them a challenge to bet on what they claim they know.

If you want to try to break my balls you'd better come stronger than that, chief.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#326 » by MotownMadness » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:36 pm

Manocad wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
whitehops wrote:
Read on Twitter

Vegas looked to be a bit surprised with that huge last minute push on Barnes that eventually was enough to get him over the hump. That March/April rookie of the month win for Barnes might have been the tipping point. As always, they look fairly accurate in the end when all said and done, they knew Cade wasn't going to win it outright and Barnes was always a great value pick

But the real loser here is Mobley, who basically was his to lose just with unfortunate injuries toward the end that did him in

Surprised? Vegas LOVED it that Barnes won. As I've tried to explain, while the Vegas oddsmakers are certainly very good at what they do they only set the opening the odds. The money being bet at that point takes over. The fact that Mobley remained a heavy betting favorite up until the end is a perfect demonstration of what I was talking about--heavy money had been bet on Mobley, and rightfully so. But those betting odds in no way guarantee he's the favorite to win; they're an indicator of where the money is being bet.

So simply put, heavy money got bet on Mobley and he didn't win. Vegas made out like bandits.

Yeah i dont think alot of people fully understand how vegas works in that regards
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#327 » by Spider156 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 am

Not sure why people are referring to Vegas for anything at all. It’s gambling plain and simple. That’s why it’s unethical to gamble. I hope whoever put their money on Mobley lost every dollar which they probably did. I would’ve still put my money on Cade. Why? Because he deserved rookie of the month in March. He had MJ numbers. It was never about winning %. As a matter of fact toronto now is technically a treadmill team. So good luck to them.
Defense wins championships
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#328 » by DBC10 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:18 am

Manocad wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
whitehops wrote:
Read on Twitter

Surprised on Vegas part was the wrong sentiment, I meant those that had heavy money toward Mobley all the way up until the end like you said. That tipping point all the way towards the end for Barnes was fairly chaotic and unpredictable by that time. Probably the most competitive ROY race between 3 to 5 players in a while
Manocad
RealGM

Post#329 » by Manocad » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:28 am

Spider156 wrote:Not sure why people are referring to Vegas for anything at all. It’s gambling plain and simple. That’s why it’s unethical to gamble. I hope whoever put their money on Mobley lost every dollar which they probably did. I would’ve still put my money on Cade. Why? Because he deserved rookie of the month in March. He had MJ numbers. It was never about winning %. As a matter of fact toronto now is technically a treadmill team. So good luck to them.

Ethical is a subjective term. The only reason people refer to Vegas is relative to the odds of winning.

For the record, everyone who bet on Mobley to win obviously lost every dollar they bet because he didn't win. That's how betting works. There's no "probably" about it. :D

Unless what you mean is that you hope they lost every dollar they have, i.e. bet their life savings on Mobley winning. If that's the case you're just being a dick. 8-)
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#330 » by bstein14 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:59 am

Herb Jones is a solid young player. I hadn't seen much of him before this series but really impressive to see what he is doing defensively in these playoffs.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#331 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:02 am

One voter also didn't have Mobley in their top three. I've never looked at the votes all that closely before though. For all I know there's always weird little anomalies like that.

All in all 96 of 100 voters had Barnes, Mobley and Cade at least in some order. Or maybe 97. I guess I can't prove that some weirdo didn't leave both Cade and Mobley off their ballot.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#332 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:48 pm

I want to know what cities the three who didn't vote for Cade at all are located in.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#333 » by Manocad » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:32 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:I want to know what cities the three who didn't vote for Cade at all are located in.

Cleveland is one, I'll bet. One, giving Mobley the best shot to win by putting the guys you think are his best competition out of competition. Two, Cade plays for Detroit, which is in Michigan.

And I'm actually not joking.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#334 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:35 pm

Basically I want to know what teams to put on the FU scorched earth list for next season. :-P
Manocad
RealGM

Post#335 » by Manocad » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:46 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Basically I want to know what teams to put on the FU scorched earth list for next season. :-P

Cleveland actually isn't a bad town; I've been to worse "big" cities. I even stopped in Cleveland for a weekend once on the way back from a driving vacation that included stops in Philly, NYC, Baltimore and DC, and had a great time. I'm a big music guy so the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was great, and spent an evening at the House of Blues. But other than that and Cedar Point you can burn that whole sh**ty state to the ground. And I mean that not only as a Michigan alum but as a traveler having spent a lot of time in Ohio. That state SUUUUUUUCKS. Indiana isn't far behind but Indianapolis has it going on over Cleveland IMO. Plus I go to Indiana frequently for work every year and always stay in Indy, and yes, St. Elmo deserves all the praise it gets. In fact, I'm looking right now at two receipts for a $235 bar tab (the lounge upstairs) and a $528 dinner tab at St. Elmo...FOR THREE OF US. :lol:
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#336 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:50 pm

I'm approaching this purely from a fan perspective. Heck, I live in Alabama. :-P

Return to Detroit Pistons