ImageImageImage

Jerami Grant receiving a lot of trade interest- (Jake Fisher)

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Re: Jerami Grant receiving a lot of trade interest- (Jake Fisher) 

Post#1441 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:35 pm

bstein14 wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:
El Chivo wrote:Resign him at 90x4 and call it a day.

He won't be resigned until next off-season, so it doesnt matter now.

But Grant is not a strong PF. He can't handle Giannis who is appears the Pistons will need to play defense against for the next many years.

Just in the East: Giannis, KD, Tatum, Mobley, Collins, Siakam. Those guys all seem to have an advantage over Grant. So it puts the Pistons in a tough spot that Cade has to be a superstar.

Plus Stewart is a short, ground bound Center. Stewart plus Grant doesnt work against Giannis and Lopez, for example. Or Mobley and Allen.

He has reportedly been vocal about wanting an extension this summer. He made it known he didn't want to get traded anywhere that wasn't willing to give him an extension.... which is perhaps why he didn't get traded.

$112 million extension over 4 years is likely if we end up keeping him.

Almost $30 million a year for Jerami Grant is laughable. Maybe for someone like the Suns, paying big salaries for guys to keep the team together, sure it makes sense.

When the Pistons were led by Grant, they looked average to very bad.

I can see why no one wanted to trade for him if he wants "elite" type money and gives 3rd guy on a winning team type production.

Jerami doesnt do any thing at an elite level, not one skill. And he doesnt fit very well into a team because he hasnt figured out how to pass the ball. He's like a poor man's Derozan or something like that.

Pistons needed a guy to make iso buckets and now have a blossoming star in Cade - we dont need another guy who is 60% as good at that making $30 million a year.

Whole thing is yuck.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#1442 » by Snakebites » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:59 pm

Yeah, I would be very unhappy if we extended Grant for 4/112.

If someone else offers him that we should let him walk. And if nobody else does, why would we?
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#1443 » by LaSheed » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:03 pm

I'm good with receiving an up and coming player for Grant. We have such a young core now 2 or 3 more rookies is just too much imo.

Don't get me wrong I'll be happy with picks but with everyone talking about the play in contention idk if late 1st round picks help that.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#1444 » by bstein14 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:31 pm

Snakebites wrote:Yeah, I would be very unhappy if we extended Grant for 4/112.

If someone else offers him that we should let him walk. And if nobody else does, why would we?

No one can offer him a contract because he's not a free agent yet... He's simply eligible for an extension this year and the rumor was that he only wanted to be traded to someone that was willing to extend him this summer and not make him go into free agency in 2023. It sounds like his preference is to not have to go into free agency again but to get taken care of this summer.

We're in a position where we'd be foolish to loose him for nothing, but I also agree 4 years and $112 million is a bit much for him.

If we don't work out a deal to trade him this summer, We're likely in a position where we then have to decide whether or not to extend him or let him become a FA in 2023.

I'd be happy to sign him to an extension deal that looks like this.

23-24: $24 mil guaranteed + $1 mil if team makes playoffs (Age 29)
24-25: $24 mil guaranteed + $1 mil if team makes playoffs (Age 30)
25-26: $24 mil guaranteed + $1 mil if team makes playoffs (Age 31)
26-27: $24 mil guaranteed + $1 mil if team makes playoffs (Age 32)

$96 million guaranteed plus an additional $4 million if he has team success. That's the type of contract that is going to be a bit more tradable as time goes on as well because it doesn't increase each season. The last year of the Grant deal would be the first year of the Cade extension so we might put ourselves in a spot where we have to pay the luxury tax for a year in 26/27. We haven't paid the tax since 2004 when we won the championship.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#1445 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:25 pm

Another issue that this "needed extension" to make Grant feel all warm and fuzzy, doesnt work with the Pistons timeline.

Not this summer, but next we need to figure out what Bey, Stewart and Hayes will be signed for, or not. That is when the Pistons need to spend everything they can, only then extending everyone to go over the cap.

Obviously his team understands this too, so too bad for him.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#1446 » by Snakebites » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:29 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:

Another issue that this "needed extension" to make Grant feel all warm and fuzzy, doesnt work with the Pistons timeline.

Not this summer, but next we need to figure out what Bey, Stewart and Hayes will be signed for, or not. That is when the Pistons need to spend everything they can, only then extending everyone to go over the cap.

Obviously his team understands this too, so too bad for him.

Add to that the likelihood that we’ll pick a forward in the draft and we may be dealing with a roster fit issue in addition to a timeline one.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#1447 » by MotownMadness » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:34 pm

bstein14 wrote:

No one can offer him a contract because he's not a free agent yet... He's simply eligible for an extension this year and the rumor was that he only wanted to be traded to someone that was willing to extend him this summer and not make him go into free agency in 2023. It sounds like his preference is to not have to go into free agency again but to get taken care of this summer.

We're in a position where we'd be foolish to loose him for nothing, but I also agree 4 years and $112 million is a bit much for him.

If we don't work out a deal to trade him this summer, We're likely in a position where we then have to decide whether or not to extend him or let him become a FA in 2023.

$96 million guaranteed plus an additional $4 million if he has team success. That's the type of contract that is going to be a bit more tradable as time goes on as well because it doesn't increase each season. The last year of the Grant deal would be the first year of the Cade extension so we might put ourselves in a spot where we have to pay the luxury tax for a year in 26/27. We haven't paid the tax since 2004 when we won the championship.

That's to much for me still, I would let him walk for nothing before re-signing him.

I would like to have him for a 6th man type role but he wouldn't go for that and it would be to expensive for us.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#1448 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:41 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

That's to much for me still, I would let him walk for nothing before re-signing him.

I would like to have him for a 6th man type role but he wouldn't go for that and it would be to expensive for us.

Yet one more issue - this is Peak Jerami Grant. We already saw that. He arguably got worse after his first 40 games or so when he was on fire.

31 and 32 year old Grant trying to do that same bull-dozing, euro-step stuff driving right into the guy in front of him and drawing a foul isnt going to be nearly as effective as prime Jerami, and even that isnt high dollar effective.

Its just a bad situation that didnt work out the way the Pistons or Jerami wanted.

Maybe he can find another really bad team to be the man and get paid a lot, and they can give the Pistons some 2nd round picks or something.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#1449 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:23 pm

Well he had no problems getting offered 20mill per year on his last contract. He likely feels like he proved something being a empty stat on bad team guy and is ready to cash in. Maybe his side wants to open the bidding at 4/112 but is expecting 4/100. Someone will be out there willing to give him a raise on that by how much we shall see.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,053

Post#1450 » by Laimbeer » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:05 am

Our end of a three team on the trade board -

Detroit trades: Jerami Grant
Detroit receives: Rudy Gay, Udoka Azubuike, 2023 UTA 1st (unprotected), 2024 BOS 1st (1-14, 1-14, 2 2nds), 2027 UTA 1st (1-10 protected, otherwise 2 2nds)
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#1451 » by vege » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:09 am

Laimbeer wrote:Our end of a three team on the trade board -

Detroit receives: Rudy Gay, Udoka Azubuike, 2023 UTA 1st (unprotected), 2024 BOS 1st (1-14, 1-14, 2 2nds), 2027 UTA 1st (1-10 protected, otherwise 2 2nds)

I don't like this one, I like the Toronto spin version much better. That package goes to Toronto, and Detroit get GTJr. So we would trade Grant for GTJr.

The original trade idea is garbage, there's a high chance we get 0 NBA rotation players out of that package.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#1452 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:14 am

Bulls Lavine played very poorly in his playoff time to shine - along with DeRozan.

A full 5 year max for Lavine might be unacceptable if they get bounced in 4?

Maybe a Grant for Lavine type trade if Bulls want to spend less? Grant only gets 4/100 and Pistons have to add some contract, who knows.

Also Pat Williams looked really bad, almost unplayable for a Playoffs rotation. He just came back from an injury though.
vege
RealGM

Post#1453 » by vege » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:19 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
Also Pat Williams looked really bad, almost unplayable for a Playoffs rotation. He just came back from an injury though.

He dropped 35 on good efficiency a week ago, he is good. Chicago fell of a cliff and are a mess right now, kinda like Cleveland. The injuries destroyed both teams.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#1454 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:33 am

vege wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

He dropped 35 on good efficiency a week ago, he is good. Chicago fell of a cliff and are a mess right now, kinda like Cleveland. The injuries destroyed both teams.

Yeah I havent seen much of him.

Just watching game 1 of Bucks/Bulls, Bulls win if they made that Pat Williams for Grant trade.

Might not matter to the Bulls - this year is a wash for them.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#1455 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:49 pm

I'll be shocked if we can get three 1sts for Grant.
vege
RealGM

Post#1456 » by vege » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:38 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:

I'll be shocked if we can get three 1sts for Grant.

Not all 1sts are the same, those are very likely 20+ 1sts, they have a lot less value than an above average starter with a desirable skillset.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,101

Post#1457 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:53 pm

Snakebites wrote:It’s not just that it’s a higher pick. It’s also that it’s their only one.

I’d be extremely surprised to see it moved for Grant.

Always eager to be proven wrong, but I don’t see it.

Apparently they're still looking to win with Dame and it was rumored that he really liked Grant so if that is indeed the case, I don't see how they can explain to him that they'd rather keep a draft pick over bringing in a player that can help them compete now especially if the pick lands outside the top 5.

Regardless, I've always thought a Grant trade was a longshot. I don't think Weaver ever really considered trading him and was only entertaining offers that would blow him away so I don't think the Pelicans pick would have moved the needle much for him.
I think winning time starts next season so trading Grant for futures doesn't really accomplish that. Of course this is just wild speculation on my part but if you read between the tea leaves, I think Weaver considers him a part of the core and will likely extend him which I think would be a big mistake.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,101

Post#1458 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:00 pm

vege wrote:
Not all 1sts are the same, those are very likely 20+ 1sts, they have a lot less value than an above average starter with a desirable skillset.

He only has 1 year left on his deal and is eligible for a big extension as an approaching 30 year old so I think you're overvaluing him a bit here. The time to maximize his value was this past deadline which would have given a contender two playoff runs with him. He became a depreciating asset the moment Weaver held onto him.

If he doesn't trade him this summer, I see two scenarios playing out neither of which are desirable. Either he walks for nothing or minimal value in a sign and trade scenario or he signs the big extension here. I think Weaver's loyalty to Grant will be his downfall.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,685

Post#1459 » by Cowology » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:38 pm

The Blazers pick could very possibly fall to 8th or 9th. If that's the case I don't think a Grant trade is completely off the table. There are some solid players in that range, but nobody that will a be difference make for Dame next year. And you're still *hoping* that pick turns out to be as good as Grant already is.

I've repeatedly advocated for NOT trading Grant for a pick, but IF this played out we could potentially target somebody like Duren or Daniels depending on how the rest of the draft shakes out. That's not the worst thing in the world. I'd just rather get a more established player rather than take another step back. But IF that comes with a TPE then it makes it easier to make a run at either a premier FA or a couple of B-levels to sorta stabilize on-the-court production.

It's also possible the Blazers decide to part with some future picks, whether it's with us or somebody else. They are sorta at this point where they really do either need to blow it up, or they need to just go all in and try and win now. Trying to straddle that line isn't going to do anything but get them bounces in the 1st round and if they land some players then the future picks should wind up being in that 20+ range.

I now we all get this and are just killing time taking about "what if's", but we really do need to see where the ping-pong balls fall 1st. Too many variables right now. And btw- that's another team that could be in play for Robinson.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#1460 » by Invictus88 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:59 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

Yet one more issue - this is Peak Jerami Grant. We already saw that. He arguably got worse after his first 40 games or so when he was on fire.

31 and 32 year old Grant trying to do that same bull-dozing, euro-step stuff driving right into the guy in front of him and drawing a foul isnt going to be nearly as effective as prime Jerami, and even that isnt high dollar effective.

Its just a bad situation that didnt work out the way the Pistons or Jerami wanted.

Maybe he can find another really bad team to be the man and get paid a lot, and they can give the Pistons some 2nd round picks or something.

This has been great for Jerami Grant. He wanted to establish that he could be more than 4th fiddle or even coming off the bench like what was happening in Denver. He did exactly that in Detroit where we gave him that opportunity to lead an offense or be a #2 option.

The Pistons got a guy who played to his contract value and in some viewpoints exceeded it. As a team we needed to tank to bring new blood into the franchise. We successfully did that for 2 years; the first year ending up with Cade and the 2nd year we have equal odds of landing in the top 3. Grant played well enough for us to have positive trade value during that time.

I mean what more were you really hoping for here?

Grant is going to get paid upwards of 30 million per year in his next contract unless the market somehow falls apart. Seems pretty good for him...

Should we be the ones who give that to him? Absolutely not. But Jerami Grants don't grow on trees and teams whose windows are closing now can leverage their future somewhat to get a guy who will instantly help them on offense and defense now at the SF position.

Return to Detroit Pistons