ImageImageImage

Jerami Grant receiving a lot of trade interest- (Jake Fisher)

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Re: Jerami Grant receiving a lot of trade interest- (Jake Fisher) 

Post#1481 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:39 pm

Yeah, assuming Saddiq is a starting forward in the future, and we draft a forward in the draft (the probability of that seems pretty good), we don't really have a starting role for Grant here. Important thing to remember.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#1482 » by Cowology » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:02 pm

Bey is really hard to gauge. There are countless examples of guys who take big steps forward in terms of consistency in years 3 or 4 and Bey fits the profile. He's certainly shown flashes. But his defense is pretty terrible and it's no guarantee that he becomes the 24-7-4 type player that he shows 25% of the time. And I'll admit to being a little frustrated with him the last 15 games after being pretty high on him at the mid-way mark.

Part of me really wants to just play Grant at SF because we know he'll give solid 2-way production. But the greater part of me doesn't want to pay 28 yr old Grant $28 mil in salary while the team is still a few years away from really competing. I'm not strictly opposed to having a guy like Grant on the roster who's a bit older and more established, but I'm not at all convinced that Grant is actually the guy to fill that role.

I'm still on the Hart & TPE bandwagon. Draft any of the big 3, tag Brunson in FA and re-up Bagley with the additional cap room.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#1483 » by Manocad » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:04 pm

Cowology wrote:There is definitely a point where it's better to let Grant walk than to sign him to a bad extension, but I'd really hope we don't get to that point.

That's all my point is and always has been. Getting Grant with the idea that either A) he'll become a core piece of a championship team or B) becomes a flippable asset who turns out to be neither doesn't HURT the team since they didn't give up anything to get him.

People need to accept that the possibility exists that Grant isn't going to be a good fit as a core piece of a championship Pistons team given what he'll cost, and that no one will trade for him (other than as an expiring) given what he'll cost. Sure, we all hope it doesn't turn out that way but the reality is that no GM can make other teams do something they have no interest in doing.
coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

Post#1484 » by coolness » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:51 am

To OKC

J.Grant, K.Olynyk, #46th pick
for
12th pick, and future 1st returned

OKC has BARELY enough cap room before the draft to take Grant and Olynyk
I hate it for OKC, but Grant has value and the two picks aren't guaranteed to pan out. Grant gets included in fanboy trades here (not just from Det fans) as getting a decent return.

For us? A high upside pick now and a good rookie contract in the future when we might be a good team already. The salary cap would open up possibilities this summer. Right now I see people wanting Brunson and M.Robinson. I don't think we have the cap space to get more than Brunson. FWIW, I prefer Hartenstein to Robinson. Hartenstein's PER is 22+.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#1485 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:07 am

Snakebites wrote:Yeah, assuming Saddiq is a starting forward in the future, and we draft a forward in the draft (the probability of that seems pretty good), we don't really have a starting role for Grant here. Important thing to remember.

How versatile is Grant? Is he fast enough to guard 2s?

Why not a Cade, Bey, Grant grouping for wings.

Then Banchero, Jabari, Chet at the 4.

Bagley at the 5?

I really like that kind of team. Big, strong, long, everywhere (except Chet is not strong, but at least he's fiery).

I mean we switch everything, all the time. Every team is just switching onto Bey or Stewart anyways, does it really matter?
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,964

Post#1486 » by tmorgan » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:04 am

Bagley as a starting five is not winning anything. He can’t play any defense that requires thinking or reacting.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#1487 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:31 pm

tmorgan wrote:Bagley as a starting five is not winning anything. He can’t play any defense that requires thinking or reacting.

I'm open for something other than Bagley at center, but he might take a 2 year, modest deal to showcase for a bigger one later. :D :D

I'm just throwing around the idea that because we switch everything in the half court and when teams run its basically, find any guy and guard him as we run back, positions on defense dont matter.

Stewart is guarding small guards often, so is Bey. I've seen Cade and Cojo try and defend bigs on switches many times.

What is a solution?

Play Grant at SG. He can handle the ball better than Bey. Grant can guard most SGs in the league and he provides length and help side defensive blocking. Maybe we will actually be a plus rebounder at the 2, haha!

GSW are trying 4 PG/SG and Draymond with their death lineups.

We can try 4 SG/SF and a defensive center that shoots threes ideally.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#1488 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:17 pm

Stop it :lol: Neither Grant or Bey can play the 2.

Bagley can play the 5 in some small-ball lineups, but that's off the bench in certain situations. Not something you want to see a lot of unless they show they can put up huge offensive numbers. If you go small you better have 5 guys crashing the glass and you need to generate turnovers. Not really things that Bagley is great at. He is about as far from Draymond Green as you can get.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#1489 » by vege » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:07 pm

vege wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
vege wrote:
The asking price for Bagley LAST season was 2 2nds, when he had 2 years left on his contract, so yes, 2 2nds alone would net him, and that's not me saying, it was said by a Sacramento fan a week or so before the deadline. Josh Jackson was out of our rotation. Lyles was not bad, and he got decent minutes and produced well for the kings, but the only reason he was on the deal was to make the numbers work.

Man. I don't have a way of validating this or disproving this and truly wasn't following the situation closely. It seems shocking to me that he could have been had for 2 2nds the previous year. He wasn't THAT bad for Sacramento. :) But sure. I guess JJ and Lyles ended up being trade filler.

Maybe later if I have patience I'll find the information and post it here.

;t=1156s

28:45 they nail the trade. If you have patience listen from 24 minutes ownards and they'll talk more about his value. But yes, his value was expirings and 1 or 2 2nds. The Sacramento guy is very good and he really knew what he was talking about.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#1490 » by chrbal » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:45 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Yeah, assuming Saddiq is a starting forward in the future, and we draft a forward in the draft (the probability of that seems pretty good), we don't really have a starting role for Grant here. Important thing to remember.

How versatile is Grant? Is he fast enough to guard 2s?

Why not a Cade, Bey, Grant grouping for wings.

Then Banchero, Jabari, Chet at the 4.

Bagley at the 5?

I really like that kind of team. Big, strong, long, everywhere (except Chet is not strong, but at least he's fiery).

I mean we switch everything, all the time. Every team is just switching onto Bey or Stewart anyways, does it really matter?

I don’t think bagley should be a starter, maybe down the road. To me he’s a really good first big off the bench. Kind of just let him outright attack. He could still develop into a starter. I just don’t see it as a good idea right now
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#1491 » by LaSheed » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:31 pm

I'm 90% Blazers are trading for Grant. Worst kept secret in the NBA obviously reading article after article.

The TPE is interesting as it would create even more cap space assuming we aren't taking much back in return. Of course slightly disappointing return im certainly not expecting their top 10 pick.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#1492 » by Invictus88 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:51 pm

vege wrote:
vege wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Man. I don't have a way of validating this or disproving this and truly wasn't following the situation closely. It seems shocking to me that he could have been had for 2 2nds the previous year. He wasn't THAT bad for Sacramento. :) But sure. I guess JJ and Lyles ended up being trade filler.

;t=1156s

28:45 they nail the trade. If you have patience listen from 24 minutes ownards and they'll talk more about his value. But yes, his value was expirings and 1 or 2 2nds. The Sacramento guy is very good and he really knew what he was talking about.

Thanks for the link. I love listening to Ku's podcast btw :). The one thing I will say here is that I don't know how much weight I give this guy versus the reports of Detroit denying Sacramento's trade request of Bagley for Bey. There's a big difference in Sacramento's asking price between those two reports and I don't see either being necessarily more credible than the other.

So I can't with certainty say that Bagley's value was actually 2 2nds. The only thing with any certainty we can conclude is that Josh Jackson + Trey Lyles + 2 2nds was less value than Bey in the eyes of the Pistons (because they said no to the latter and agreed to the former) and that it was an acceptable return for Bagley for Sacramento.

If that's the case then there's still room for Josh Jackson + Trey Lyles to have had a net value that was more than just salary filler.

I appreciate the conversation vege and thank you for the discussion link. Have a happy Friday / a good weekend.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#1493 » by vege » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:22 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
vege wrote:
vege wrote:

;t=1156s

Thanks for the link. I love listening to Ku's podcast btw :). The one thing I will say here is that I don't know how much weight I give this guy versus the reports of Detroit denying Sacramento's trade request of Bagley for Bey. There's a big difference in Sacramento's asking price between those two reports and I don't see either being necessarily more credible than the other.

So I can't with certainty say that Bagley's value was actually 2 2nds. The only thing with any certainty we can conclude is that Josh Jackson + Trey Lyles + 2 2nds was less value than Bey in the eyes of the Pistons (because they said no to the latter and agreed to the former) and that it was an acceptable return for Bagley for Sacramento.

If that's the case then there's still room for Josh Jackson + Trey Lyles to have had a net value that was more than just salary filler.

I appreciate the conversation vege and thank you for the discussion link. Have a happy Friday / a good weekend.

Oh no I think Bey was worth more than the 2 2nds for us, I think the Sacramento guy said Bey's value was a 1st round pick for Sacramento, which is what they were expecting to get but they kinda knew they wouldn't.

I think my memory wasn't 100% correct here, and Sacramento's asking price was a 1st last season, and since he was an expiring this deadline, they reduced the asking price and we got him for Josh Jackson + Trey Lyles and 2 2nds, so I think you are correct, those players probably had value to Sacramento.

I don't watch a lot of podcasts about bball, but that one was really good, it's always good to see things with the eyes of another fanbase, especially if the guy giving their imput is good.

I also appreciate the conversation. Thank you. My weekend will be great, I hope you have a great weekend as well.

Return to Detroit Pistons