S&T deals for Ayton

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

S&T deals for Ayton 

Post#1 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:27 am

1) Matching salaries
If the Suns owner doesn’t want to pay 1 guy $30 million, maybe he would rather split that salary on two guys.

Ayton for Grant/Olynyk

2)Youth movement
If they prefer to reset a little and go with young guys in exchange for Ayton. Maybe they get a small TPE as well.

Ayton for Bagley/Hayes

3)Mix of the two
Maybe the Suns would like a mix of vet and youth

Ayton for Grant/Hayes/Garza
MotorCade2
Junior
And1: 58

Re: S&T deals for Ayton 

Post#2 » by MotorCade2 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:41 am

Can you trade 2 or more players for a S&T player? If so that makes it easier. How much are we able to absorb of a S&T Ayton? I would love to do something like Olynyk/Diallo/1st rounder/2nd rounders for Ayton. I would even be willing to do 2 first rounders if we had to. Draft Ivey or Sharpe at SG.

Cunningham/Hayes
Sharpe/Jackson
Bey/Livers
Grant/Bagley
Ayton/Stewart

Complete rebuild
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,667

Post#3 » by Cowology » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:59 am

Those seem like pretty bad deals for the Suns.
MotorCade2
Junior

Post#4 » by MotorCade2 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:00 am

Cowology wrote:Those seem like pretty bad deals for the Suns.

You think Ayton for Olynyk, Diallo, and 2 first rounders is bad for a guy they might not even want? They snubbed him on his contract and was looking around for other centers at the trade deadline.
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Cowology » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:02 am

MotorCade2 wrote:

You think Ayton for Olynyk, Diallo, and 2 first rounders is bad for a guy they might not even want? They snubbed him on his contract and was looking around for other centers at the trade deadline.
I was referring to the deals Piston Pete suggested.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#6 » by DET_Athletics » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:15 am

MotorCade2 wrote:

It's not that they don't want him, they don't want to give him the 5 year max. They aren't going outbid themselves and probably just going to match any sheet he signs. They are still holding all the cards.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#7 » by Manocad » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:39 pm

DET_Athletics wrote:
MotorCade2 wrote:

It's not that they don't want him, they don't want to give him the 5 year max. They aren't going outbid themselves and probably just going to match any sheet he signs. They are still holding all the cards.

Actually in reality Ayton holds all the cards. He's a free agent since he wasn't signed to an extension so he can go anywhere he wants. Which of course is to a team that's going to pay him, but the possibility that he's willing to leave Phoenix shouldn't be dismissed. The fact that it's going to take another team to offer him the money first before Phoenix grudgingly matches--if they even do--may mean something to Ayton. Hell, it may mean a lot. He's still only 23; he may already have a list of teams in his head that he's willing to leave for even if it means a year or two of getting back up to championship level.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#8 » by mattao313 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:32 pm

Manocad wrote:
DET_Athletics wrote:
MotorCade2 wrote:

Actually in reality Ayton holds all the cards. He's a free agent since he wasn't signed to an extension so he can go anywhere he wants. Which of course is to a team that's going to pay him, but the possibility that he's willing to leave Phoenix shouldn't be dismissed. The fact that it's going to take another team to offer him the money first before Phoenix grudgingly matches--if they even do--may mean something to Ayton. Hell, it may mean a lot. He's still only 23; he may already have a list of teams in his head that he's willing to leave for even if it means a year or two of getting back up to championship level.
That's the whole point of his post tho. Suns didn't want to give him the 5 year. If he signs with another team they don't have to pay him as much. He could take the QO but he's taking a lot of risk at that point.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#9 » by flow » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:19 pm

Just for clarification, Ayton will become a Restricted Free Agent at the conclusion of this season.
MotorCade2
Junior

Post#10 » by MotorCade2 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:29 pm

DET_Athletics wrote:
MotorCade2 wrote:

They why look for other centers too? They don't want to pay him a 5 year max. yeah sure, but do they want to pay him a 4 year max? idk about that either.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#11 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:05 pm

Which makes me think if we could send them 2-3 guys to fill some holes, the Suns owner might bite.

They might look to save some major cap/salary and do Ayton for Bagley (and a large TPE).

Or Ayton for Stewart/Hayes/Livers/TPE
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#12 » by Manocad » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:12 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
DET_Athletics wrote:It's not that they don't want him, they don't want to give him the 5 year max. They aren't going outbid themselves and probably just going to match any sheet he signs. They are still holding all the cards.

That's the whole point of his post tho. Suns didn't want to give him the 5 year. If he signs with another team they don't have to pay him as much. He could take the QO but he's taking a lot of risk at that point.

No. The point of his post was that the Suns have control of what happens to Ayton. They don't. He does. He's going to be offered a ton of money and either the Suns can match it or he goes somewhere else for a ton of money. There's no "risk" there.
GreekAlex
Starter
And1: 1,246

Post#13 » by GreekAlex » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:13 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Which makes me think if we could send them 2-3 guys to fill some holes, the Suns owner might bite.

They might look to save some major cap/salary and do Ayton for Bagley (and a large TPE).

I’d rather have Bagley for $10M than Ayton for $30M
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#14 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:20 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Which makes me think if we could send them 2-3 guys to fill some holes, the Suns owner might bite.

That’s fair.

The Suns owner might as well.

I mean, this is all dependent on Ayton signing an offer sheet here in the first place, which is a shot in the dark
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#15 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:11 pm

McGee has been good for the suns and Sarver is cheap. If they don’t win this year I bet they let Ayton go
mattao313
General Manager

Post#16 » by mattao313 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:32 pm

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:Actually in reality Ayton holds all the cards. He's a free agent since he wasn't signed to an extension so he can go anywhere he wants. Which of course is to a team that's going to pay him, but the possibility that he's willing to leave Phoenix shouldn't be dismissed. The fact that it's going to take another team to offer him the money first before Phoenix grudgingly matches--if they even do--may mean something to Ayton. Hell, it may mean a lot. He's still only 23; he may already have a list of teams in his head that he's willing to leave for even if it means a year or two of getting back up to championship level.

No. The point of his post was that the Suns have control of what happens to Ayton. They don't. He does. He's going to be offered a ton of money and either the Suns can match it or he goes somewhere else for a ton of money. There's no "risk" there.
They have control over where he's mostly going to play. They can match his contract that'd be less than whatever he can sign for in Phoenix.

He loses money taking the QO or signing somewhere else.

Championships
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#17 » by DetroitSho » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:45 pm

GreekAlex wrote:

But...................why?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Cowology » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:46 pm

I don't want Ayton at $30 mil.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#19 » by mattao313 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:48 pm

Cowology wrote:I don't want Ayton at $30 mil.
Agreed we can find a rim running guy that can protect the rim for half the price.

Championships
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#20 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:50 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:That's the whole point of his post tho. Suns didn't want to give him the 5 year. If he signs with another team they don't have to pay him as much. He could take the QO but he's taking a lot of risk at that point.

They have control over where he's mostly going to play. They can match his contract that'd be less than whatever he can sign for in Phoenix.

He loses money taking the QO or signing somewhere else.

He doesn’t lose money by taking the QO, per se. He just delays Unrestricted Free Agency for a year. Gets his big payday in the 2023 offseason instead of in 2022.

His QO for next season is ~$16.5 million.

Return to Detroit Pistons