ImageImageImage

S&T deals for Ayton

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Re: S&T deals for Ayton 

Post#301 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 17, 2022 8:10 pm

Something that needs to be part of the discussion is the fact that Ayton rarely ever has plays run for him in the post by PHX. This is insane to me, as Ayton does have a post game, that is underutilized to a degree that drives me nuts.

Having set plays for Ayton in the post, so he can make that pass out to the shooters would be a huge added benefit here in Detroit. Cade is going to shoot much better from 3 next season, think 35%+, and of the team adds Smith, Ayton would have 3 legitimate targets surrounding him.

That wrinkle added to the offense would be dynamic as hell.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#302 » by 440BB » Tue May 17, 2022 10:01 pm

If Ayton is offered the max by another team, the Pistons may end up going after a serviceable center the offering team is going to unload at a reasonable price. I don't want to see the Pistons commit more than $25 million per season to Ayton and I suspect somebody else will.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
stylesofpunk
Junior
And1: 140

Post#303 » by stylesofpunk » Tue May 17, 2022 10:54 pm

I just am on the fence with this.

Ayton with Cade bey our draft pick and either grant or what asset we can get for him. Along with Hayes Livers and Stewart would be a really nice group

But same time

Cade Bey draft pick grant or what we get for him Hayes Livers Stewart and a smaller signing like Claxton or Hartenstein and cap room for another signing and future cap opening
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#304 » by bstein14 » Tue May 17, 2022 11:39 pm

I would take Brunson + Hartenstein over Ayton. But I'd take Ayton over Claxton + Mitchell Robinson.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#305 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed May 18, 2022 7:39 am

Ayton still has generational potential and at worst is a 20/10 big. The guy was getting Admiral comps out of school and not many were pushing back on that. He’s relatively low risk imo because there is a chance he flourishes with an expanded role.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#306 » by kpt » Wed May 18, 2022 5:50 pm

After lottery I am coming around to signing Ayton. Draft sharpe/Ivey

Cade / killian
Sharpe or Ivey / daillo
Bey / livers
Grant / bagley (trading Kelly o for space)
Ayton / stewart

Everyone on the team needs to work on shooting if this is the roster though
DetCade
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#307 » by DetCade » Wed May 18, 2022 5:59 pm

People saying they shouldn't give Ayton the max is ridiculous. Pistons need to build a foundation NOW! Cade at PG and Ayton at C. Both are in the early 20's. If pistons don't start winning soon, cade is going to want out of Detroit sooner than later. enough with all these bad signings year after year and get a foundational player to team up with cade. People might say Ayton isn't a foundational player young fella was a key part of the suns the last few years and with a bigger role in Detroit he will be an all-star for years.

Stewart will never be a starting center for a finals team.
Jsindto
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#308 » by Jsindto » Wed May 18, 2022 6:09 pm

kpt wrote:After lottery I am coming around to signing Ayton. Draft sharpe/Ivey

Cade / killian
Sharpe or Ivey / daillo
Bey / livers
Ayton / stewart

Probably need to send over Grant in a S&T if you want Ayton. You won't just be able to get him for nothing (other than his salary). Even if they don't want him, there's other suitors.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,753

Post#309 » by theBigLip » Wed May 18, 2022 6:14 pm

kpt wrote:After lottery I am coming around to signing Ayton. Draft sharpe/Ivey

Cade / killian
Sharpe or Ivey / daillo
Bey / livers
Ayton / stewart

I've slightly changed my opinion as well. This isn't a bad lineup, and with more playing time together, should improve. This seems like a playoff team to me.

I'd still be up for moving Grant. He's going to be a huge salary if we don't trade him.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#310 » by Manocad » Wed May 18, 2022 6:29 pm

Again, the problem people seem to have with Ayton is that he's not worth $32 million a year. WHO CARES?!? IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY. He definitely would make the team better and a team CAN GO OVER THE SALARY CAP. Where is it written in stone that Gores has refused to exceed the cap in order to put the best team together?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#311 » by buzzkilloton » Wed May 18, 2022 6:35 pm

Manocad wrote:Again, the problem people seem to have with Ayton is that he's not worth $32 million a year. WHO CARES?!? IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY. He definitely would make the team better and a team CAN GO OVER THE SALARY CAP. Where is it written in stone that Gores has refused to exceed the cap in order to put the best team together?

Salary cap does matter put the blunt down
Manocad
RealGM

Post#312 » by Manocad » Wed May 18, 2022 6:39 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:Again, the problem people seem to have with Ayton is that he's not worth $32 million a year. WHO CARES?!? IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY. He definitely would make the team better and a team CAN GO OVER THE SALARY CAP. Where is it written in stone that Gores has refused to exceed the cap in order to put the best team together?

That's weird since 24 teams are currently over the salary cap. Maybe YOU need to put the blunt down. It's all about what an owner is willing to spend.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#313 » by buzzkilloton » Wed May 18, 2022 6:43 pm

Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

That's weird since 24 teams are currently over the salary cap. Maybe YOU need to put the blunt down. It's all about what an owner is willing to spend.

That doesnt mean you just go "he makes us better spend it doesnt matter anyways". Eventually you have to give contracts to your young players the tax bill can get out of hand nobody is going to pay a big tax bill to be 2nd round ceiling team.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#314 » by Manocad » Wed May 18, 2022 6:52 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

That doesnt mean you just go "he makes us better spend it doesnt matter anyways". Eventually you have to give contracts to your young players the tax bill can get out of hand nobody is going to pay a big tax bill to be 2nd round ceiling team.

Then explain why 24 teams are currently over the cap; I'll wait.

The reason owners are willing to go over the salary cap is because good teams still make money even if they're over the salary cap. If I know I can build a team that has a good shot at winning the championship, exceeds the salary cap and I can still make money, I'm doing it. And apparently there are other owners out there willing to as well.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#315 » by buzzkilloton » Wed May 18, 2022 6:58 pm

Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:That's weird since 24 teams are currently over the salary cap. Maybe YOU need to put the blunt down. It's all about what an owner is willing to spend.

Then explain why 24 teams are currently over the cap; I'll wait.

The reason owners are willing to go over the salary cap is because good teams still make money even if they're over the salary cap. If I know I can build a team that has a good shot at winning the championship, exceeds the salary cap and I can still make money, I'm doing it. And apparently there are other owners out there willing to as well.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/tax/

Not every team is willing to go into the luxury tax.You only do it if its going to push you into contention. Hence why u see only 10 contenders going over that much.

If you blow your space on a non shooting big who quits on his team during game 7 of the playoffs yes that cap space matters. Its not a /shrug not my money. Its a we spent are money and now its gone and thats 30mill putting us closer to need to go into a luxury tax. Use the 30mill wisely then it might make sense to go into the luxury tax later since youve built a powerhouse.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#316 » by flow » Wed May 18, 2022 7:01 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Ayton IS a young player. He's 23. This is not a Blake Griffin team-crushing reckless desperation 'panic' move.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,869

Post#317 » by MotownMadness » Wed May 18, 2022 7:02 pm

I say go get him
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#318 » by buzzkilloton » Wed May 18, 2022 7:06 pm

flow wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Manocad wrote:That's weird since 24 teams are currently over the salary cap. Maybe YOU need to put the blunt down. It's all about what an owner is willing to spend.

Ayton IS a young player. He's 23. This is not a Blake Griffin team-crushing reckless 'panic' move.

I meant eventually we will be giving our young guys like Bey/Stewart/Cade contracts and having 30mill invested into a center isnt going to feel good.

I know what Ayton is. I will take Stewart and random cheap rim protector XXX over Ayton. I think I will not only outproduce him with that but I will save money.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#319 » by flow » Wed May 18, 2022 7:11 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
flow wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Ayton IS a young player. He's 23. This is not a Blake Griffin team-crushing reckless 'panic' move.

I meant eventually we will be giving our young guys like Bey/Stewart/Cade contracts and having 30mill invested into a center isnt going to feel good.

I know what Ayton is. I will take Stewart and random cheap rim protector XXX over Ayton. I think I will not only outproduce him with that but I will save money.

Cade is who you have to play. Don't over-value players just because they're on your team. Stewart is a marginal pro. Bey is good, but he's no all-pro. Not at this point, anyway.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#320 » by buzzkilloton » Wed May 18, 2022 7:14 pm

flow wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
flow wrote:

Cade is who you have to play. Don't over-value players just because they're on your team. Stewart is a marginal pro. Bey is good, but he's no all-pro.

Stewart is a potential starter not a marginal pro. Hes for sure a rotation piece and long term nba player whether we keep him or he plays some where else. Bey is a starter for sure and potentially better then a starter I could see him turning into a T.Harris style player as a ceiling. Stewart was awesomn the last 12 games or so of last season hes only 20.

I can assure you I'm not one to overvalue our players. In most cases I'm on the bear side of our players.

Bey and Stewart were good draft picks that are going into year 3 I would expect us to be paying them. How much they will get paid will depend on how much they improve.

Return to Detroit Pistons