George Blaha out w/ heart bypass surgery

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Re: George Blaha out w/ heart bypass surgery 

Post#21 » by Cowology » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:24 pm

“The Detroit Pistons are happy to report that George Blaha underwent a successful heart bypass procedure earlier today,” the team tweeted. “He is doing well and doctors will continue to monitor his recovery.”

Blaha, 76, will miss the rest of the 2021-22 season, but he’s expected to make a full recovery.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2022/03/15/detroit-pistons-announcer-george-blaha-undergoes-successful-heart-bypass-procedure/
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#22 » by Manocad » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:27 pm

Good news. As long he wants to keep calling games and can without endangering his health there will be no complaints from me.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Post#23 » by Cowology » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:33 pm

It's 2022. Let the dude work from home! :lol:
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#24 » by 440BB » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:38 pm

Good news!
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 180

Post#25 » by JNewton » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:29 pm

Manocad wrote:
Liqourish wrote:
Manocad wrote:I wonder who the heir apparent is at such time Blaha is ready for retirement.

I hope it's not Johnny Kane.

You and me both. His style bugs me. I'd love it if it were Mark Champion but he's already doing the radio broadcast. Matt Shepard wouldn't bother me.

Johnny Kane seems like a nice enough guy but I agree, not the biggest fan of his PxP call. For better or worse, I'd say he is definitely going to be the guy, though; Bally Sports cheaps out big time on their announcers - see the mentioned Matt Shepard calling the Tigers games.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#26 » by Manocad » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:05 pm

JNewton wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Liqourish wrote:
I hope it's not Johnny Kane.

You and me both. His style bugs me. I'd love it if it were Mark Champion but he's already doing the radio broadcast. Matt Shepard wouldn't bother me.

Johnny Kane seems like a nice enough guy but I agree, not the biggest fan of his PxP call. For better or worse, I'd say he is definitely going to be the guy, though; Bally Sports cheaps out big time on their announcers - see the mentioned Matt Shepard calling the Tigers games.

Yeah, it's the play by play specifically that bugs me. His style is better suited for color.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#27 » by flow » Fri May 6, 2022 5:34 pm

Here's the back-story. From yesterday.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2022/05/05/detroit-pistons-george-blaha-surgery-return/9609205002/?gnt-cfr=1

'How John Beilein helped save George Blaha's life'

On March 1, the Pistons played the Washington Wizards in Washington. March 2 was Ash Wednesday, so Blaha and Beilein went to Holy Trinity Catholic Church on Georgetown’s campus to receive their ashes. But Blaha received more than he anticipated — a health scare, and a big break.

While walking roughly a mile uphill, Blaha began to feel tightness in his chest and shortness of breath. Beilein, who underwent double-bypass open heart surgery in 2018, urged Blaha to go see a doctor.

Just two weeks later, on March 15, Blaha underwent triple-bypass surgery. Tests revealed his heart had three blockages that couldn’t be repaired with stents.

Six weeks after surgery, Blaha is nearing full health. Rehab requires him to walk at least 2,000 steps a day. Golf is one of several activities he has leaned on to reach his goal.

The last two months have been “sobering” for Blaha, who turned 77 on March 29. But he’s also grateful. He discovered his heart blockages before they led to a heart attack. And he’s excited to return to work. In addition to returning to the Pistons sideline next season, he’s also eager to resume his responsibility as the radio voice for Michigan State football.

Return to Detroit Pistons