What draft trades would you make?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: What draft trades would you make? 

Post#21 » by Pharaoh » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:37 am

coolness wrote:
vege wrote:Under no circunstance a team should ever trade the #1 pick. You draft the BPA and figure out the rest later.

I feel like I know for sure that the #1 pick this year will be okay. No Kwame Brown or Anthony Bennett nonsense.

Buuuuuuuut

Whoever goes 1st this year is no Lebron, Zion, Brow, Hakeem, Shaq or David Robinson. So I say trade 'em for the right deal.
Let's assume we get lucky again and land #1:

You taking Chet or Jabari or Paolo?

Or you trading it?

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,756

Post#22 » by theBigLip » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:18 am

Pharaoh wrote:
coolness wrote:
vege wrote:Under no circunstance a team should ever trade the #1 pick. You draft the BPA and figure out the rest later.

I feel like I know for sure that the #1 pick this year will be okay. No Kwame Brown or Anthony Bennett nonsense.

Buuuuuuuut

Whoever goes 1st this year is no Lebron, Zion, Brow, Hakeem, Shaq or David Robinson. So I say trade 'em for the right deal.

Or you trading it?

On Sunday's Bill Simmons podcast, he was talking with Ryen Russillo, who seems to know more about NBA than anybody except Woj, and he mentioned that he was talking with a very respected source that went unnamed, and Paolo was clearly the #1 pick (and it had nothing to do w March Madness). That was surprising. Personally, I like Jabari, am terrified of Chet being a bust, and glad I'm not a GM that has to make a career defining decision between the 3.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,679

Post#23 » by Cowology » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:44 am

theBigLip wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
coolness wrote:

Buuuuuuuut

Or you trading it?

On Sunday's Bill Simmons podcast, he was talking with Ryen Russillo, who seems to know more about NBA than anybody except Woj, and he mentioned that he was talking with a very respected source that went unnamed, and Paolo was clearly the #1 pick (and it had nothing to do w March Madness). That was surprising. Personally, I like Jabari, am terrified of Chet being a bust, and glad I'm not a GM that has to make a career defining decision between the 3.

Part of me almost hopes we land 3rd or 4th just because that's going to be a much easier decision. But I'm a coward and change my mind every time somebody makes a post about one person or the other. You were last... so I guess I'm on the Jabari bandwagon for at least the next 15 minutes.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#24 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:24 am

1) I mean, those aren’t our only 2 options. We can also simply keep the pick and NOT take Chet.

2) I’d deal him for the Pels pick. That may not excite people but I think it’s the right move if it’s available.

3) Yeah, I’ll cop out on this one. It depends on what happens to the stock of the people involved, whether the difference between one abd, say, 4 changes between now and then, etc. I can’t imagine being willing to trade out of the top 4, but I’m not attached to any one player like I was Cade.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#25 » by Manocad » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:30 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
coolness wrote:

Buuuuuuuut

Or you trading it?

Okay, I'll play...what trade is being offered?

And I'm not being coy. That's how it should work.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#26 » by Cowology » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:45 pm

theBigLip wrote:Creating this point to address a few items on trading draft choices:
1. If we get the #1 pick, do you draft Chet or trade down so you don’t have to take a huge risk? And if so, how far are you willing to go down?
2. What is Grant worth to you in draft picks?
3. Any interest in trading down to get multiple first rounders from Portland (7&10), Houston (3&14), or OKC (4, 15 & 30)? (Pick #s taken from Today’s Tankathon)

My thoughts:
1. Trade the draft rights of Chet for sure, but stay in the top 4 picks.
2. I love the thought of getting both of Portland’s picks for Grant but I doubt we could get it. But any top 10 pick plus a future, mildly protected pick would work.
3. I like the idea of getting multiple picks if we were to trade down, but only OKC and HOU. Portland’s picks are too low to get a star.

Your thoughts?
I'm probably in the minority, but some of those trade down options looks kind of appealing to me right now. Part of that is just because I can't make up my mind about the top of the draft and I'm not completely sold on any of them. And I also like some of the guys a little further down.

IF you could potentially grab something like Sharpe/Duren with POR picks would do it? Right now I think I probably would.
I'm less excited about the middle of the draft, but even those HOU & OKC packages don't look terrible to me as long as the top pick stays at 3/4. IF Dyson Daniels were still on the board, would that be enough to swing you? His stock seems to be all over the place. A lot of mocks have him 29th or 30th, while some people are calling him top 10. *shrug*

I dunno, I'm just not really sold on any of Chet/Jabari/Paolo/Ivey. I know everybody is going to yell BPA at me... but I'm not really feeling the top of this draft.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,756

Post#27 » by theBigLip » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:09 pm

Dream scenario:
- We win the lottery, Hou and OKC get 2 and 3 in any order
- Hou or OKC want Chet, we trade down to #2 or #3 and pick up (approx) #15 or #16 in addition
- We trade Jerami Grant to Portland for #11
- We draft with Jabari Smith or Paolo Banchero with the #2 or #3
- Using #11 and either #15 or #16 we draft a SG and C
SG - Mathurin, Daniels, Agbaji, or Branham
C - Duren or Williams

Most important of this scenario, all 3 players drafted become legit NBA starters, and our PF becomes an AllStar

Is this too much to ask for? :lol:
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#28 » by zeebneeb » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:17 pm

theBigLip wrote:Dream scenario:
- We win the lottery, Hou and OKC get 2 and 3 in any order
- Hou or OKC want Chet, we trade down to #2 or #3 and pick up (approx) #15 or #16 in addition
- We trade Jerami Grant to Portland for #11
- We draft with Jabari Smith or Paolo Banchero with the #2 or #3
- Using #11 and either #15 or #16 we draft a SG and C
SG - Mathurin, Daniels, Agbaji, or Branham
C - Duren or Williams

Most important of this scenario, all 3 players drafted become legit NBA starters, and our PF becomes an AllStar

Is this too much to ask for? :lol:
It's great to dream about these little scenarios, but with that said,

Did you ever think the Pistons would be in their current situation when Weaver was hired?

Anything is possible now. Weaver has completely altered the trajectory of the team, and does what he wants.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#29 » by vege » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:50 pm

Since I spent 5 minutes of my life to do this, I might as well post it here, to give people some perspective, and perhaps a more educated answer to this question.

Last 10 years (excluding the last draft it's way too early) of the picks where the NOP pick should land and MY opinion of the players and how they compared to Grant.

11 GSW Klay Thompson **
12 UTA Alec Burks-
13 PHO Markieff Morris -
14 HOU Marcus Morris -

11 POR Meyers Leonard
12 HOU Jeremy Lamb
13 PHO Kendall Marshall
14 MIL John Henson

11 PHI Michael Carter-Williams
12 OKC Steven Adams-
13 DAL Kelly Olynyk
14 UTA Shabazz Muhammad

11 DEN Doug McDermott
12 ORL Dario Šarić
13 MIN Zach LaVine **
14 PHO T.J. Warren

11 IND Myles Turner *
12 UTA Trey Lyles
13 PHO Devin Booker **
14 OKC Cameron Payne

11 ORL Domantas Sabonis **
12 UTA Taurean Prince
13 PHO Georgios Papagiannis
14 CHI Denzel Valentine

11 CHO Malik Monk
12 DET Luke Kennard
13 DEN Donovan Mitchell **
14 MIA Bam Adebayo **

11 CHO Shai Gilgeous-Alexander **
12 LAC Miles Bridges **
13 LAC Jerome Robinson
14 DEN Michael Porter Jr.

11 MIN Cameron Johnson-
12 CHO P.J. Washington-
13 MIA Tyler Herro *
14 BOS Romeo Langford

11 SAS Devin Vassell *
12 SAC Tyrese Haliburton **
13 NOP Kira Lewis Jr.
14 BOS Aaron Nesmith

9/40 of getting an upgrade
3/40 of getting an adequate replacement
6/40 of getting a minor downgrade
23/40 of throwing him away
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#30 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:44 pm

As good as Cade is, I'm not sure if I want to give away a win-now type of player like Grant for a 25% chance of an upgrade and over 50% chance of nothing but some salary cap room.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#31 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:01 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:As good as Cade is, I'm not sure if I want to give away a win-now type of player like Grant for a 25% chance of an upgrade and over 50% chance of nothing but some salary cap room.
I keep saying I'd rather flip Grant for another established player rather than a mid 1st. We want the proven productivity; just gotta rebalance the roster and move that salary to a greater position of need. Or move him to SF.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#32 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:10 pm

It depends on the player, I suppose. I felt like during that brief window when they were all healthy and had a little chance to gel, Bey, Grant, and Cade were able to play well together.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#33 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:13 pm

I'm definitely against trying to stockpile a bunch of draft picks at this point, though. We're already really young, but we're getting better fast, and I think we should legitimately be looking to compete in the next couple of years while Cade is still on his rookie deal.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#34 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:53 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:It depends on the player, I suppose. I felt like during that brief window when they were all healthy and had a little chance to gel, Bey, Grant, and Cade were able to play well together.
And yet we continually play better and win more when Grant is out. I know people are in denial over this, but that doesn't make it any less true.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#35 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 9:52 pm

Cowology wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:It depends on the player, I suppose. I felt like during that brief window when they were all healthy and had a little chance to gel, Bey, Grant, and Cade were able to play well together.
And yet we continually play better and win more when Grant is out. I know people are in denial over this, but that doesn't make it any less true.

We're a different team post-All Star break with how everyone (especially Cade) is playing, and with Bagley on the team.

Post-All Star break only, what's our record with Grant and without Grant?
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#36 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 9:59 pm

Looks like we're 8-11 post All Star break.

That breaks down to:

2-4 without post All Star .333 win rate
6-7 with post All Star .461 win rate

So we have a significantly better win rate with Jerami Grant in the line up than without him, post All Star break.

Now could you criticize that for being a small sample size? Yes, of course. But so is a single season. The team as a whole is different post All Star break, so looking at how they were playing before they started playing well together is fairly irrelevant to me. The current iteration is better (record-wise) with him in the lineup.

Edit: He also only played 8 minutes in the loss against Washington, so that record is almost 2-5 without and 6-6 with. Basically we're playing .500 ball with him in the line up post All Star break.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#37 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 1, 2022 9:59 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Cowology wrote:

We're a different team post-All Star break with how everyone (especially Cade) is playing, and with Bagley on the team.

Post-All Star break only, what's our record with Grant and without Grant?

4-9 with
3-3 without
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#38 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 1, 2022 10:00 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Looks like we're 8-11 post All Star break.

That breaks down to:

2-4 without post All Star .333 win rate
6-7 with post All Star .461 win rate

So we have a significantly better win rate with Jerami Grant in the line up than without him, post All Star break.

Now could you criticize that for being a small sample size? Yes, of course. But so is a single season. The team as a whole is different post All Star break, so looking at how they were playing before they started playing well together is fairly irrelevant to me. The current iteration is better (record-wise) with him in the lineup.

Edit: He also only played 8 minutes in the loss against Washington, so that record is almost 2-5 without and 6-6 with. Basically we're playing .500 ball with him in the line up post All Star break.
I think you are off.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#39 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 10:01 pm

Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#40 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 10:03 pm

Grant had 5 DNPs during that stretch, unless you're also counting Washington, where he only played 8 minutes?
https://www.rotowire.com/basketball/player.php?id=3588

Return to Detroit Pistons