Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Re: Revisiting the Bey - Kennard Trade 

Post#61 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 5, 2022 9:14 pm

Cowology wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Legitimate question: who is the best shooter in Pistons history and how far off is Bey from that designation?
Tough question considering how drastically the role has shifted in recent years. Dumars & Houston are the most obvious names.

Dumars has a ts% of .554 for his career and shot over 40% from three 7x in his career. In '89 he shot .505 & .483 (3pt) for the year but he only took 29 attempts the entire season. It wasn't until '93 when he got up around 300 attempts but there was a steady increase through the remainder of his career with his final season actually being his most prolific in terms of volume. He averaged over 7 3pa per 36 that season and shot over 40% from deep.

On the other hand Houston's time here was short lived and he spent his best years as a Knick. In '96 he averaged almost 20 ppg while shooting .453 and .427 3pt on 5.5 attempts. He had a career ts% of .546 but battled injuries later in his career and surpassed that number pretty easily in his 2nd/3rd seasons in a Pistons uni (.589/.576).

Then again you also had guys like Jon Barry pass through here. He was a bench guy who shot .489 and .469 (3pt) his first year in Detroit. Obviously a very different type of role as part of the Alternatorz.

Gun to my head I'd probably say Allan Houston. And Bey isn't even close.

If we're talking three point shooting strictly I think the answer is actually Chauncey Billups.

Allan Houston is a solid answer though.

I don't think Bey is anywhere near the conversation. He needs more consistency. He could get there though- it's possible.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 180

Post#62 » by JNewton » Tue Apr 5, 2022 9:56 pm

Not reading the whole thread, but paying Luke Kennard would have been extremely ill-advised for the Pistons and where they are/were in their rebuilding process, regardless of whatever you think of him as a player. It's fine for the Clippers, who are cap locked, have designs on winning championships in the near future, and play in a desirable warm weather market where they'll never have trouble attracting free agents on value contracts, but it would have been an albatross for the Pistons.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#63 » by Invictus88 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 10:05 pm

I think it was a slam dunk for the Pistons in terms of what we got out of the trade. Kennard may have improved his percentages since joining the Clippers but it's offset by the fact that he's getting paid more AND he's still not shooting the ball a lot.

When you are a third or fourth option on a team maybe that's okay? But on the Pistons he was / was going to be asked to be the focal point of the offense in the coming year; and he had demonstrated repeatedly his penchant for passing up shots.

In Bey we get less of a pure shooter than Kennard but he's much more aggressive on both ends of the floor. I think that Bey is still learning the game and how to be more efficient; he's still making strides. With Kennard I don't know if he'll ever reach his potential. You can have all of the talent in the world but if you don't have the assertiveness to use it then your team isn't ever going to benefit.

Plus we're getting at least in the same ballpark in terms of production with Bey and are only paying him rookie contract numbers right now...
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#64 » by SamFlow » Wed Apr 6, 2022 10:01 am

I much more prefer a sf in Bey. MUCH more. I would not trade bey for kennard and another first. I wouldn't even consider it. Bey is our Mark Aguire. Cade is our isiah. We still need a PG/Combo guard, Center, and PF after we trade Grant.
BigDaddyJungle

Return to Detroit Pistons