ImageImageImage

Alright, time for your big boards!

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: Alright, time for your big boards! 

Post#61 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:01 pm

The secondary ball handling doesn’t have to come from this pick though. I’d rather we let Cade be the dominant guard for the duration of his rookie contract and then bring in somebody unless a perfect glove fit falls to us. It did wonders for Devin Booker. We’re not trying to win a championship next year so it doesn’t matter if he’s the highest usage player in the league next year. If anything it’s great for his development.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#62 » by BDM22 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:29 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:The secondary ball handling doesn’t have to come from this pick though. I’d rather we let Cade be the dominant guard for the duration of his rookie contract and then bring in somebody unless a perfect glove fit falls to us. It did wonders for Devin Booker. We’re not trying to win a championship next year so it doesn’t matter if he’s the highest usage player in the league next year. If anything it’s great for his development.

Yeah, the ideal secondary ball handler might be a vet that comes down the line, once the team is ready to take the leap. Like the Bucks getting Jrue. The Suns getting CP3. Heat getting Lowry. If anything, I think this is the better route to take than aiming for one in the draft.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,777

Post#63 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:01 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:The secondary ball handling doesn’t have to come from this pick though. I’d rather we let Cade be the dominant guard for the duration of his rookie contract and then bring in somebody unless a perfect glove fit falls to us. It did wonders for Devin Booker. We’re not trying to win a championship next year so it doesn’t matter if he’s the highest usage player in the league next year. If anything it’s great for his development.

No, it does not need to come from this pick, because it isn't our only need.

I was merely making 2 points:

1) Cade isn't necessarily best suited to be a heliocentric ball handler
2) Even those thought of that way are still often better off with another one. Shoot, I feel like we're already seeing that with Luka- look how Dinwiddie is helping that team right now.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#64 » by Cowology » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:02 pm

BDM22 wrote:

Yeah, the ideal secondary ball handler might be a vet that comes down the line, once the team is ready to take the leap. Like the Bucks getting Jrue. The Suns getting CP3. Heat getting Lowry. If anything, I think this is the better route to take than aiming for one in the draft.
However, IF you use the pick on somebody like Mathurin then you're essentially precluding your ability to add that player to your backcourt in the future. You've already set your starters (assuming he is the player you think he is). Now you have to try and find that secondary playmaker from the 3/4 spot, which is harder to do.

And if we're being all heliocentric with Cade, then the chances of us successfully developing somebody like that into a secondary ball-handler are probably not great. Because we just made that decision to keep the ball in Cades hands 100% of the time. That's the argument, right? Keep the ball in his hands.

I'm not arguing for drafting a ball-handler. I'm arguing against drafting a non-ballhandler in the backcourt. I don't want to draft a guard at all. I expect us to target a forward and go after Brunson. Which makes perfect sense if Murray really is the guy we have at 4.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#65 » by BDM22 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:24 pm

Cowology wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

However, IF you use the pick on somebody like Mathurin then you're essentially precluding your ability to add that player to your backcourt in the future. You've already set your starters (assuming he is the player you think he is). Now you have to try and find that secondary playmaker from the 3/4 spot, which is harder to do.

And if we're being all heliocentric with Cade, then the chances of us successfully developing somebody like that into a secondary ball-handler are probably not great. Because we just made that decision to keep the ball in Cades hands 100% of the time. That's the argument, right? Keep the ball in his hands.

I'm not arguing for drafting a ball-handler. I'm arguing against drafting a non-ballhandler in the backcourt. I don't want to draft a guard at all. I expect us to target a forward and go after Brunson. Which makes perfect sense if Murray really is the guy we have at 4.

Really, I'm just trying to say that if a SG is the clear-cut top player on your board, I don't think you pass up on them, because I think Cade's versatility allows you to be flexible there. Both Math and Cade are long and 6-7, so you could likely shift one to SF if you decide you definitely need to slot in a designated PG in that unit. However, If it's a toss-up between a PF/C and a guy like Math, then obviously you take whomever you think will fit the best in the long run.

I also understand the urge for folks on here looking to add a backcourt mate for Cade ASAP because we're all sick of watching Cory Joseph.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#66 » by Cowology » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:29 pm

BDM22 wrote:
Cowology wrote:
BDM22 wrote:Yeah, the ideal secondary ball handler might be a vet that comes down the line, once the team is ready to take the leap. Like the Bucks getting Jrue. The Suns getting CP3. Heat getting Lowry. If anything, I think this is the better route to take than aiming for one in the draft.

Really, I'm just trying to say that if a SG is the clear-cut top player on your board, I don't think you pass up on them, because I think Cade's versatility allows you to be flexible there. Both Math and Cade are long and 6-7, so you could likely shift one to SF if you decide you definitely need to slot in a designated PG in that unit. However, If it's a toss-up between a PF/C and a guy like Math, then obviously you take whomever you think will fit the best in the long run.

I also understand the urge for folks on here looking to add a backcourt mate for Cade ASAP because we're all sick of watching Cory Joseph.
If we played one of those guys at SF I wouldn't complain. I've said I think Cade is more 2/3 than 1/2. And the same goes for Math. But then I'd probably look to flip Grant for another pick in order to tag Duren. I really don't want to come outa this draft without a big. They are just too friggin' hard to get via FA/trade and this is likely our last decent shot at drafting one for a while.

Brunson/Cade/Mathurin/Bagley/Duren works for me.

And I do get the BPA thing, but I'm not sure I see much separation between most of the players we have pegged in between 4th-7th. I think that's reflected in how different everybody's big board is. Certainly if I'm the Pistons and I do see a big talent gap then BPA makes sense regardless of position.
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#67 » by Scout Taron » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:45 pm

reanimator wrote:
Scout Taron wrote:Is there any reason to believe that Jabari will be anything more than a guy who just hits spot-up 3s?

Because even in college, he did a lot more than just hit spot up 3s.

I mean, he hit spot up 3s and then face-up jumpers from the post. That's about it. 43.5% from 2 as a big man should be glaring alarm sign on him. He's got no game besides an ability hit jumpers from a standstill IMO.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#68 » by reanimator » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:05 am

Scout Taron wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Scout Taron wrote:Is there any reason to believe that Jabari will be anything more than a guy who just hits spot-up 3s?

Because even in college, he did a lot more than just hit spot up 3s.

I mean, he hit spot up 3s and then face-up jumpers from the post. That's about it. 43.5% from 2 as a big man should be glaring alarm sign on him. He's got no game besides an ability hit jumpers from a standstill IMO.

I don't agree, but no need to defend a position since the Jabari conversations are well established. Time will tell.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM

Post#69 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:23 am

Snakebites wrote:

No, it does not need to come from this pick, because it isn't our only need.

I was merely making 2 points:

1) Cade isn't necessarily best suited to be a heliocentric ball handler
2) Even those thought of that way are still often better off with another one. Shoot, I feel like we're already seeing that with Luka- look how Dinwiddie is helping that team right now.

Yeah, but I would argue It’ll accelerate Cade’s development to be a high usage player at a time when we have no shot at a championship.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#70 » by LaSheed » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:24 am

Yall idc if we draft a SG #3-7. If we sign Brunson that draft pick is still coming off the bench. Even if we don't get Brunson I don't think a rookie guard Starts. If you want to go to the next level of competing we are not doing it with a starting lineup that is what 23 years old and less.

The Memphis Grizzlies are an anomaly. It's crazy what's going on over there. Doesn't make any sense.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM

Post#71 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:28 am

Cowology wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

But the issue isn’t a secondary playmaker. It’s a player who creates gravity in isolation. Those types of players are not necessarily back court players anymore. We need a player where Cade can dump the ball off to and take a break essentially. That doesn’t have to be a guy who is running pick and rolls. It could be an Embiid or a Tatum or even a Klay.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#72 » by Cowology » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:52 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
Cowology wrote:
BDM22 wrote:Yeah, the ideal secondary ball handler might be a vet that comes down the line, once the team is ready to take the leap. Like the Bucks getting Jrue. The Suns getting CP3. Heat getting Lowry. If anything, I think this is the better route to take than aiming for one in the draft.

But the issue isn’t a secondary playmaker. It’s a player who creates gravity in isolation. Those types of players are not necessarily back court players anymore. We need a player where Cade can dump the ball off to and take a break essentially. That doesn’t have to be a guy who is running pick and rolls. It could be an Embiid or a Tatum or even a Klay.
Strong disagree.

Go down the list and look at the rosters those teams are comprised of. Let's say Harden (who is better ball-handler AND passer) is their "Cade". They still have Maxey at the point AND an MVP candidate in Embiid. Are you suggesting we just go out and get one of those?? Is it that easy? Heck, prior to that teams paired CP3 and Irving with Harden. And that's a guy who averages 10apg.

Curry doesn't just have Klay, he also has Draymond, who himself is a very unique player. Can we go out and find a Draymond?

The Celts have an actual PG in Smart. The very thing I'm arguing FOR. And remind me again, what exactly have the Sixers & Celts won with these lineups? The Bucks didn't win until they added Jrue to Giannis. The Raptors had Kawhi playing great, but they also had a breakout performance from VanFleet. Phx is looking good with HOF point-god CP3 playing alongside Booker.

The list goes on and on. You need strong ball-handling from multiple positions. Kobe had Odom, Gasol AND Lue/Fisher. LeBron had Irving or Wade and he's one of the greatest players of all time. SA had Parker AND Ginobili AND Duncan.

You want somebody else who can bring the ball up and break a press. You want somebody else who can run the offense when your star player is on the bench, or just to diversify your attack. You need multiple guys that can get you into your sets and let your star player get looks off the ball, because sometimes that's the best way to get them better looks. It's all in play. If all we wanted was to "dump" the ball off we got Grant for that.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM

Post#73 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:51 am

Cowology wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:
Cowology wrote:However, IF you use the pick on somebody like Mathurin then you're essentially precluding your ability to add that player to your backcourt in the future. You've already set your starters (assuming he is the player you think he is). Now you have to try and find that secondary playmaker from the 3/4 spot, which is harder to do.

Strong disagree.

Go down the list and look at the rosters those teams are comprised of. Let's say Harden (who is better ball-handler AND passer) is their "Cade". They still have Maxey at the point AND an MVP candidate in Embiid. Are you suggesting we just go out and get one of those?? Is it that easy? Heck, prior to that teams paired CP3 and Irving with Harden. And that's a guy who averages 10apg.

Curry doesn't just have Klay, he also has Draymond, who himself is a very unique player. Can we go out and find a Draymond?

The Celts have an actual PG in Smart. The very thing I'm arguing FOR. And remind me again, what exactly have the Sixers & Celts won with these lineups? The Bucks didn't win until they added Jrue to Giannis. The Raptors had Kawhi playing great, but they also had a breakout performance from VanFleet. Phx is looking good with HOF point-god CP3 playing alongside Booker.

The list goes on and on. You need strong ball-handling from multiple positions. Kobe had Odom, Gasol AND Lue/Fisher. LeBron had Irving or Wade and he's one of the greatest players of all time. SA had Parker AND Ginobili AND Duncan.

You want somebody else who can bring the ball up and break a press. You want somebody else who can run the offense when your star player is on the bench, or just to diversify your attack. You need multiple guys that can get you into your sets and let your star player get looks off the ball, because sometimes that's the best way to get them better looks. It's all in play. If all we wanted was to "dump" the ball off we got Grant for that.

Grant isn’t on the level you need in a second star so it’s a bit disingenuous to use that as your definition as a player you can dump the ball to. No where in my post did I say we don’t need a secondary ball handler. I’m saying it’s not the most important piece.

I’m not even sure what you’re arguing with your Harden comment. Of course we can’t just go get an Embiid. We’re also not winning a championship in todays NBA without a Top 3 player. Many of those secondary ball handlers are tertiary players in the grand scheme of those teams. You find your stars first. Those are the hard ones to find. For the most part any competent wing or guard can “break the press”. This isn’t junior high.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#74 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:12 am

I still think our team needs are broad enough that you still take BPA in virtually every situation- as good as we feel about how the core is coming together, we still aren't in that "one piece away" mode where we should be looking to fill one specific need- there's still a lot of different guys that can fit what we're building.

Discussions of what we need "most" can be interesting, but I don't think it has any bearing on who we draft- I guess maybe you don't take someone who's entirely redundant to Cade, but I'm not seeing anyone who fits that description among who we're even looking at.

We could certainly use another ball handler. If it just so happens the best player is a ball handler on the perimeter I don't see a reason not to take him. As stated, even if you think Cade is capable of doing the Luka thing, even the Mavs seem to want other ball handling alongside him.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM

Post#75 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:17 am

Snakebites wrote:I still think our team needs are broad enough that you still take BPA in virtually every situation- as good as we feel about how the core is coming together, we still aren't in that "one piece away" mode where we should be looking to fill one specific need- there's still a lot of different guys that can fit what we're building.

Discussions of what we need "most" can be interesting, but I don't think it has any bearing on who we draft- I guess maybe you don't take someone who's entirely redundant to Cade, but I'm not seeing anyone who fits that description among who we're even looking at.

We could certainly use another ball handler. If it just so happens the best player is a ball handler on the perimeter I don't see a reason not to take him. As stated, even if you think Cade is capable of doing the Luka thing, even the Mavs seem to want other ball handling alongside him.

This does bring up an interesting hypothetical. If Cade’s clone was in this draft, do you take him? I think you do. The reality is Cade is so versatile he fits with anyone…which is my roundabout way of agreeing with you that we should take BPA
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#76 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:23 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I still think our team needs are broad enough that you still take BPA in virtually every situation- as good as we feel about how the core is coming together, we still aren't in that "one piece away" mode where we should be looking to fill one specific need- there's still a lot of different guys that can fit what we're building.

This does bring up an interesting hypothetical. If Cade’s clone was in this draft, do you take him? I think you do. The reality is Cade is so versatile he fits with anyone…which is my roundabout way of agreeing with you that we should take BPA

If Cade’s clone is available you take him no questions asked because he’s far and away the drafts best prospect.

I was operating under the assumption when I said “entirely redundant” that we’d be talking about a lesser prospect than him that doesn’t do anything Cade isn’t equal or better at.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#77 » by Invictus88 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:20 pm

Snakebites wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:

If Cade’s clone is available you take him no questions asked because he’s far and away the drafts best prospect.

I was operating under the assumption when I said “entirely redundant” that we’d be talking about a lesser prospect than him that doesn’t do anything Cade isn’t equal or better at.

That's a pretty high bar; especially if you are talking about future potential. Cade is good at a lot of things and will be at more. Anyone considered in the discussion of being a lesser version of Cade seems pretty appealing to me. But I think I'm splitting hairs.

I think it's straight BPA.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#78 » by MotownMadness » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#79 » by Southern Piston » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:25 pm

I think we preferably need a third guard to Cunningham and Hayes, I think Hayes is 2 yrs away from seeing where his potential can get to, which with the way the east is I’m down for the wait, as I would for Chet, and moving Grant for the better lottery pick. Poole is the perfect fit, but idk how that happens. I’m hoping we can flip Grant to get Johnny Davis in the draft. I think the other two routes are a trade for a hight tier former all star type to help and mentor (I don’t see any available), so I’d move for another young high tier guard to pair with the two, try to find some Livers/Braxton key types at the guard positions, and or pay for some long tiered vets like Mcgruder, trey Burke, mclemore. Give it two years see what progresses , players will want to come play for us by then.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#80 » by Cowology » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:40 pm

Southern Piston wrote:I think we preferably need a third guard to Cunningham and Hayes, I think Hayes is 2 yrs away from seeing where his potential can get to, which with the way the east is I’m down for the wait, as I would for Chet, and moving Grant for the better lottery pick. Poole is the perfect fit, but idk how that happens. I’m hoping we can flip Grant to get Johnny Davis in the draft. I think the other two routes are a trade for a hight tier former all star type to help and mentor (I don’t see any available), so I’d move for another young high tier guard to pair with the two, try to find some Livers/Braxton key types at the guard positions, and or pay for some long tiered vets like Mcgruder, trey Burke, mclemore. Give it two years see what progresses , players will want to come play for us by then.

We won't have the cap space by then due to our own extensions kicking in.

Return to Detroit Pistons