ImageImageImage

Alright, time for your big boards!

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,103

Re: Alright, time for your big boards! 

Post#21 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:54 pm

Scout Taron wrote:Is there any reason to believe that Jabari will be anything more than a guy who just hits spot-up 3s?

He's only 18 so you're banking on there being some untapped potential. Even him as is as a 6'10" sharpshooter with being a switchable defender is a valuable player (think Rashard Lewis with better defense). If he can expand his offensive game he's a franchise player, so you're getting a reasonably high floor with a high ceiling if he rounds out his offensive game.

I like the emotion he shows too, he stands out among the rest of this class in that respect. The Pistons have a lot of stoic characters so Jabari would be a nice change of pace in that respect.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#22 » by reanimator » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:17 pm

Jabari
Ivey
Chet
Paolo
Sharpe (could rise or drop still with workout reports)
Tari Eason
Bennedict Mathurin
Keegan Murray
reanimator
Analyst

Post#23 » by reanimator » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:18 pm

Scout Taron wrote:Is there any reason to believe that Jabari will be anything more than a guy who just hits spot-up 3s?

Because even in college, he did a lot more than just hit spot up 3s.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#24 » by The Moose » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:21 pm

https://theathletic.com/3240187/2022/04/10/pistons-mock-draft-chet-holmgren/?source=emp_shared_article
just released, Edwards usually has some decent intel

main takeaways for me are that he thinks Chet is number 1 on the pistons board, he thinks Paolo would be number 2, then Jabari followed closely by Murray

Starting to feel like if we don't land in top 3, Murray will be the pick whether we are pick 4/5/6. If we were really unlucky and fell to 7 he might be off the board I suppose
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,700

Post#25 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:27 pm

The Moose wrote:https://theathletic.com/3240187/2022/04/10/pistons-mock-draft-chet-holmgren/?source=emp_shared_article

main takeaways for me are that he thinks Chet is number 1 on the pistons board, he thinks Paolo would be number 2, then Jabari followed closely by Murray

Starting to feel like if we don't land in top 3, Murray will be the pick whether we are pick 4/5/6. If we were really unlucky and fell to 7 he might be off the board I suppose
I don't understand why Murray would be an option @4. I mean you've got scouts that make a ton of money deciding here, but I don't get the pick to be honest.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#26 » by Piston Pete » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:30 pm

Jabari
Chet
Sharpe
Banchero
Mathurin
Ivey
Murray
The Moose
General Manager

Post#27 » by The Moose » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:34 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
The Moose wrote:https://theathletic.com/3240187/2022/04/10/pistons-mock-draft-chet-holmgren/?source=emp_shared_article

I don't understand why Murray would be an option @4. I mean you've got scouts that make a ton of money deciding here, but I don't get the pick to be honest.

He’s not who I would pick at 4 (or 5) either, but Edwards has been on this “Pistons really like Murray” train for a while, so he must be hearing it from somewhere in the organisation
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#28 » by vic » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:52 pm

Tier 1
1. Chet - two way, high iq talent, will add wins to the win column, more skilled Jarret Allen/slower Evan Mobley . Gonzaga runs a motion offense, and featured Drew Timme at center. In NBA spacing, pick & roll, pick & pop action, Chet will be very hard to guard.
2. Jabari - elite jumpshot weapon for Cade, good perimeter defender, high energy, forward, positive A/TO, MPJ w/defense
3. Shaedon - See Ivey statement below, Cade needs a co-star 2 guard... Shaedon is bigger.

Tier 2
4. Ivey - Cade needs help creating offense and easy buckets, combo 2. You don't want to be in a position where Cade gets injured and your team is done. Or he gets face guarded or fatigued, and the offense cant score for a whole quarter.
5. Bennedict Mathurin - elite role playing 2, immediately makes the starting lineup better, can also feed off Killian as a 2.
6. Banchero - love his offense but a 4 that is weak defensively is the worst kind of tweener to have in the playoffs. Too talented to pass up past 6, maybe play as a small ball center?
7. Keegan Murray - hustle/stretch 4 that can replace Grant if needed

If we pick anyone from Tier 2 when anyone from Tier 1 is available, I will be very disappointed. But if we get down into Tier 2 I slighy prefer the shooting guards, but will hope for the best picks from Troy.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#29 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:10 pm

zeebneeb wrote:I don't understand why Murray would be an option @4. I mean you've got scouts that make a ton of money deciding here, but I don't get the pick to be honest.

Why not? After the top 3,it's wide open.

Personally, I don't have Murray at 4 but I think one can make an argument for having him at 4.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#30 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:13 pm

NYPiston wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I don't understand why Murray would be an option @4. I mean you've got scouts that make a ton of money deciding here, but I don't get the pick to be honest.

Why not? After the top 3,it's wide open.

Personally, I don't have Murray at 4 but I think one can make an argument for having him at 4.
Well besides the fact that I don't think he's as good as other players, he's a 3/4 and would seem to be redundant. I'm of the mind that if you miss out on the top 3 bigs, you land a 2 to put next to Cade.

With that said, I trust Weaver and Co. after the job they have done so far, so I'm open to Murray, just would be puzzled by it.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,685

Post#31 » by Cowology » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:14 pm

zeebneeb wrote:

I think it's pretty clear we want to add a big through the draft. Which makes a lot of sense when you consider that perimeter players are MUCH easier to find in FA or via trade. We also already have a dominant guard, so having a quality player up front really balances the roster long-term.

After Murray you have to move down to Duren or a similar caliber player, which would be a fine get with a mid-lottery pick, but not somebody you really want to target at the top of the draft. Murray is a very complete player and looks like he can step in and contribute immediately and he brings the outside shooting we're looking for. He might not have the upside of some other guys, but he projects to be a very solid player and is a safer pick in a draft where it's probably important that we hit.

I can understand not wanting to reach for him and there is an argument to be made for BPA over him, but in terms of team needs it makes total sense.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#32 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:19 pm

Cowology wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

I think it's pretty clear we want to add a big through the draft. Which makes a lot of sense when you consider that perimeter players are MUCH easier to find in FA or via trade. We also already have a dominant guard, so having a quality player up front really balances the roster long-term.

After Murray you have to move down to Duren or a similar caliber player, which would be a fine get with a mid-lottery pick, but not somebody you really want to target at the top of the draft. Murray is a very complete player and looks like he can step in and contribute immediately and he brings the outside shooting we're looking for. He might not have the upside of some other guys, but he projects to be a very solid player and is a safer pick in a draft where it's probably important that we hit.

I can understand not wanting to reach for him and there is an argument to be made for BPA over him, but in terms of team needs it makes total sense.
Okay, so he's considered a big? Like how Grant is considered a big?

Cade
????
Bey
Murray (assuming Grant is gone)
Bagley

Or would he replace Bey, and slide Bey to the 2?

Cade
Bey
Murray
Grant
Bagley

Hey, I'm open to it, but only because of Weavers track record. I just don't see it.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,685

Post#33 » by Cowology » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:22 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Cowology wrote:

Okay, so he's considered a big? Like how Grant is considered a big?

Cade
????
Bey
Murray (assuming Grant is gone)
Bagley

Or would he replace Bey, and slide Bey to the 2?

Cade
Bey
Murray
Grant
Bagley

Hey, I'm open to it, but only because of Weavers track record. I just don't see it.
Bigs in this league aren't so big lol. And he does have a 6'11" wingspan with the ability to guard multiple positions. Yeah, he's a 3/4. You can plug in next to Grant or as his replacement and start Bagley. At this point Bey is low man on that totem pole and zero chance he starts at SG. You go get a guard via FA.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#34 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:23 pm

1. Jabari - Rashard Lewis with taller Draymond defensive potential

2. Paolo - Pistons Blake with more length

3. Sharpe - such a dark horse. Will defend on workouts and I could see him jumping to #1. Good athleticism, shooting was trending in the right direction in high school, and his handle was improving. Is he a notch below prime Vince? Ben Mclemore? Or in between. Tough to say.

4. Mathurin - Pretty much put together the freshman campaign I expected from Sharpe as a sophomore. I think he’s got all star potential but with a slightly lower ceiling than the unknown Sharpe.

5. Jaden Ivey - I’m not seeing the Ja or Wade athleticism like most, but I do see Donovan Mitchell/Prime Eric Bledsoe

6. Chet Holmgren - I see better defensive Channing Frye. I don’t get the hype
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#35 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:30 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Well besides the fact that I don't think he's as good as other players, he's a 3/4 and would seem to be redundant. I'm of the mind that if you miss out on the top 3 bigs, you land a 2 to put next to Cade.

With that said, I trust Weaver and Co. after the job they have done so far, so I'm open to Murray, just would be puzzled by it.

My point is that I don't see it as puzzling that Weaver would consider him at 4 because there's in no clear cut 4th best prospect in this draft, it's not like taking Murray over one of the 3 bigs. Ivey seems to be a bit of a consensus in the scouting community at 4 but I don't see Ivey as a tier above the other guys.

Also, I wouldn't pass on a guy because of the position he plays. It's BPA, always, so if Weaver sees Murray as the best player on the board, they should take him regardless of position. I wouldn't be a big fan of it either but there's a lot to like about his game.
kierkegaard
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#36 » by kierkegaard » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:31 pm

zeebneeb wrote:

I think Weaver is pretty conservative and risk averse at the core. In addition, team/fit are very high priorities for him. So he'll gravitate toward high floor, can't miss guys over slightly riskier but higher ceiling guys. Bey, Stewart and even Cade fit this profile.

I don't agree with Weaver on this, since I think we really need to take a chance
1) either on an explosive athlete who can assist Cade in breaking down the defense
2) or on a clear "outlier" talent who, if he pans out, will really pressure defenses as currently constructed--e.g. a Jabari who creates his own shot and drives to the hole or a Chet who doesn't fold physically at the NBA level.

The thing is that "chance" in this context isn't really that much of a chance at all, since with the exception Chet, maybe, all the standard names here are really pretty safe picks.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#37 » by reanimator » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:34 pm

vic wrote:Tier 1
1. Chet - two way, high iq talent, will add wins to the win column, more skilled Jarret Allen/slower Evan Mobley . Gonzaga runs a motion offense, and featured Drew Timme at center. In NBA spacing, pick & roll, pick & pop action, Chet will be very hard to guard.
2. Jabari - elite jumpshot weapon for Cade, good perimeter defender, high energy, forward, positive A/TO, MPJ w/defense
3. Shaedon - See Ivey statement below, Cade needs a co-star 2 guard... Shaedon is bigger.

Tier 2
4. Ivey - Cade needs help creating offense and easy buckets, combo 2. You don't want to be in a position where Cade gets injured and your team is done. Or he gets face guarded or fatigued, and the offense cant score for a whole quarter.
5. Bennedict Mathurin - elite role playing 2, immediately makes the starting lineup better, can also feed off Killian as a 2.
6. Banchero - love his offense but a 4 that is weak defensively is the worst kind of tweener to have in the playoffs. Too talented to pass up past 6, maybe play as a small ball center?

If we pick anyone from Tier 2 when anyone from Tier 1 is available, I will be very disappointed. But if we get down into Tier 2 I slighy prefer the shooting guards, but will hope for the best picks from Troy.

We seem to have very similar logic.

Thoughts on Tari Eason?
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#38 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:36 pm

kierkegaard wrote:
I think Weaver is pretty conservative and risk averse at the core. In addition, team/fit are very high priorities for him. So he'll gravitate toward high floor, can't miss guys over slightly riskier but higher ceiling guys. Bey, Stewart and even Cade fit this profile.

I don't agree with Weaver on this, since I think we really need to take a chance
1) either on an explosive athlete who can assist Cade in breaking down the defense
2) or on a clear "outlier" talent who, if he pans out, will really pressure defenses as currently constructed--e.g. a Jabari who creates his own shot and drives to the hole or a Chet who doesn't fold physically at the NBA level.

The thing is that "chance" in this context isn't really that much of a chance at all, since with the exception Chet, maybe, all the standard names here are really pretty safe picks.

I disagree with this. Hayes was not a conservative pick, he was a high potential project, and according to JEIII Weaver has Chet #1 on his board who is arguably one of the bigger risks in this draft.

I think he probably values Murray because of the versatility and his pro readiness. It's not why I'd draft a guy with a top 5 pick but just my guess as to why Weaver likes him more than the others in that 2nd tier.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#39 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:49 pm

Hmm.

Weaver wants to swing for the fences looks like.

Chet is definitely tantalizing in terms of what he could potentially be, but man, the bust potential is real with him.
The Moose
General Manager

Post#40 » by The Moose » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:58 pm

reanimator wrote:
vic wrote:Tier 1

Tier 2

We seem to have very similar logic.

Thoughts on Tari Eason?

I know we're both much higher on Eason than the consensus, but what do you think about his playmaking/overall feel for the game. His ast rate + ast/to ratio has pretty much been the blueprint for busts when picking in the lottery. This coupled with his tendency to overplay on defense and get into foul trouble would raise some questions about his overall bball IQ. These are my only concerns for him really, if he had shown more there, it would be hard for me to keep him out of the top 3.
I'm willing to overlook some of these as just general rawness+adapting to a much larger offensive role, so he's still top 5 for me. Even if he ended up nothing more than a 3+D transition scoring, wing stopper, in this draft I think that could wind up being a top 5 player.

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&sIndex=53&minGP=15&minAst=11&minATO=1&minpick=14&year=all&start=-11101&end=all0501&astSelect=-1&atoSelect=-1&pickSelect=-1

^ lottery picks with sub 11% ast rate + negative ast/to

Return to Detroit Pistons