Signing J.Brunson is a MUST DO for DET

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Re: Signing J.Brunson is a MUST DO for DET 

Post#121 » by MotownMadness » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:42 pm

Snakebites wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:I’m still all in on trying to give Lavine the max. I’m wary of small guards like Brunson getting much better than they already are.

You don't think the Bulls will max him?

Of course they will, if they dont then thats definitely best case for us.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,048

Post#122 » by bstein14 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:12 pm

For us to give Zach Lavine the Max, we'd have to release the rights to Bagley, and decline team options on Diallo and Frank Jackson.

Zach's a 7 year vet so his max can start at 30% of the salary cap (est $122 million) which would be $36.6 million starting salary.
Four year Max for Zach would be nearly $160 million over 4 sesaons.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#123 » by Invictus88 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:02 pm

bstein14 wrote:For us to give Zach Lavine the Max, we'd have to release the rights to Bagley, and decline team options on Diallo and Frank Jackson.

Zach's a 7 year vet so his max can start at 30% of the salary cap (est $122 million) which would be $36.6 million starting salary.
Four year Max for Zach would be nearly $160 million over 4 sesaons.

Am I the only one who isn't really enamored with Lavine's game/play style? It feels like he can go silent for long stretches and doesn't affect the game / teammates the way I would expect someone destined to make 40 million per year.

Sure, it's fun to see him flying around at times and dunking but I'd rather have a guy who does less of that and clearly makes those around him better? He's not even the first option on his team right now... and DeRozan is good and all but he's pretty flawed as well?
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#124 » by Kilo » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:30 pm

I think Detroit will get a fair listen and consideration. Money will talk and Detroit is very up and coming.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
guldakot
Rookie
And1: 549

Post#125 » by guldakot » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:28 pm

vege wrote:Interesting. So people actually think a lot different about Tyus Jones than me, I was talking to someone in the trades and transactions boards and I was 100% against us going after Tyus, but seems like I am the only one that dislikes him and his game.

I agree with you on this one, Tyus Jones is someone I would look at to fill in a backup pg spot once I have a starter in place. I have him firmly in the DJ Augustin class of player.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#126 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:09 pm

guldakot wrote:
vege wrote:Interesting. So people actually think a lot different about Tyus Jones than me, I was talking to someone in the trades and transactions boards and I was 100% against us going after Tyus, but seems like I am the only one that dislikes him and his game.

I agree with you on this one, Tyus Jones is someone I would look at to fill in a backup pg spot once I have a starter in place. I have him firmly in the DJ Augustin class of player.

Regardless of how individual posters may feel, I do not believe the Pistons will look to put anybody in front of Hayes. He's a 20 year old kid with 92 games under his belt. We're still a few years away, so now is the time to force him some minutes. Assuming he's healthy he's going to play.

And keep in mind, IF you do pickup somebody like Brunson (or mebbe Ivey/Sharp) that is an expected 32+ mpg from that position vs. the 24ish we got from CoJo. That's 12 less "backup" minutes to worry about.

We're not going to chase another "backup" when we already have a team full of backups. We need quality starters or we need to be patient and wait. Bagley is basically the only "backup" we should be concerned with and he's like 4th or 5th priority atm.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#127 » by theBigLip » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:27 pm

I want the Pistons to get better as much as anyone, but I'm not so sure if we are good enough right now to be giving out any salaries over $20M right now. Once you start doing that, you can't miss, otherwise it messes up our cap for multiple years and pretty much ends our rebuild. Think back to Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon.

I'm also not stupid - if we want to be elite, we need to have quality players, and that costs money. But is this the summer to do it? I like giving our young core plenty of playing time and letting them improve. By not doing this, this is how we lost Middleton & Dinwiddie before appreciating their full potential.

I would at least not want us to overspend using the excuse "we're a small market and we have to overspend to sign anyone". We have cap space, a lot of other teams don't have it, or just the MLE. So we are in a strong position to sign some good deals.

Brunson is going to have a lot of suitors, including Dallas. Are we really in a position to get in a bidding war over a single player? Would they put us into an "elite" status and a deep playoff run? If not, we probably shouldn't spend the big bucks now.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#128 » by Pharaoh » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:58 am

As good as Brunson has looked in the playoffs let's not forget he's doing it against a terrible perimeter defence.

He's good - no doubt - but would he be shredding Milwaukee, Toronto, Miami or Boston?

I'm not a fan of tying up 20+ mil on anyone this off-season - I think it's a year early.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#129 » by ComboGuardCity » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:42 am

Snakebites wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:I’m still all in on trying to give Lavine the max. I’m wary of small guards like Brunson getting much better than they already are.

He needs knee surgery and Lonzo is damaged goods. He might want a new start and the bulls brass has always been suspect.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#130 » by Pharaoh » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:09 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

He needs knee surgery and Lonzo is damaged goods. He might want a new start and the bulls brass has always been suspect.
Bulls changed their FO prior to last off-season didn't they?

So new brass could be like our guys - reputation of the franchise is what it is but that's not on them

ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#131 » by ElectricMayhem » Tue May 3, 2022 1:36 am

Pharaoh wrote:As good as Brunson has looked in the playoffs let's not forget he's doing it against a terrible perimeter defence.

He's good - no doubt - but would he be shredding Milwaukee, Toronto, Miami or Boston?

I'm not a fan of tying up 20+ mil on anyone this off-season - I think it's a year early.

Yeah, I'd like Brunson but not if his paycheck is decided by how he plays against Utah guards.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#132 » by Manocad » Tue May 3, 2022 3:29 am

Brunson not looking too good against the Phoenix D.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#133 » by ducler » Tue May 3, 2022 6:01 am

Easier to shine against a non-D backcourt from Jazz than against some tougher defenders from Suns.

Brunson is looking like a super 6th man rather than a starter. I don't pay more than 20M for a bencher.

Rather take a look at Sexton for 12-15M or trades than pay Brunson 25-30M. Draft Sharpe is our best way to have a great backcourt mate for Cade.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#134 » by Pharaoh » Tue May 3, 2022 9:23 am

ducler wrote:Easier to shine against a non-D backcourt from Jazz than against some tougher defenders from Suns.

Brunson is looking like a super 6th man rather than a starter. I don't pay more than 20M for a bencher.

Rather take a look at Sexton for 12-15M or trades than pay Brunson 25-30M. Draft Sharpe is our best way to have a great backcourt mate for Cade.
Doubt anyone is landing Sexton at 12 to 15 million - isn't he restricted? Cavs match that every time and trade him later IMO

Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#135 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue May 3, 2022 1:46 pm

If we want to succeed in the playoffs in the east, we'll need to get past teams with long defenders like Boston, Milwaukee, and Miami (not going to mention Toronto, because we own them). This is another reason I was hesitant to fully support the idea of a shorter guy like Brunson.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#136 » by theBigLip » Tue May 3, 2022 5:17 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:If we want to succeed in the playoffs in the easter, we'll need to get past teams with long defenders like Boston, Milwaukee, and Miami (not going to mention Toronto, because we own them). This is another reason I was hesitant to fully support the idea of a shorter guy like Brunson.

No doubt. Looking at how Boston handled the Nets, it was pretty scary. I sort of want all our guys between 6'4" and 6'10", can shoot 3s, play crazy D, run like the wind, and 100% team oriented with no attitudes.
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#137 » by bjones521 » Tue May 3, 2022 5:36 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:If we want to succeed in the playoffs in the easter, we'll need to get past teams with long defenders like Boston, Milwaukee, and Miami (not going to mention Toronto, because we own them). This is another reason I was hesitant to fully support the idea of a shorter guy like Brunson.

No doubt. Looking at how Boston handled the Nets, it was pretty scary. I sort of want all our guys between 6'4" and 6'10", can shoot 3s, play crazy D, run like the wind, and 100% team oriented with no attitudes.

I agree, I dont want a 6'1 guard that can be stopped by a long wing or will be hunted defensively. Id rather draft Sharpe or Ivey to play with Bey,Cade and Bagley
Manocad
RealGM

Post#138 » by Manocad » Tue May 3, 2022 6:37 pm

theBigLip wrote:

You forgot the green font.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#139 » by MrBigShot » Tue May 3, 2022 8:58 pm

I'm gonna be honest, with as much talent and star power as there is in the league, the only hopes of us winning a championship is for Weaver to sign me to start alongside Cade in the back court. I shrink about 6 inches from my dating profile, so I already have synergy with the 6'2 (reportedly 6'8 at time of the draft) Cade.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Manocad
RealGM

Post#140 » by Manocad » Tue May 3, 2022 9:19 pm

MrBigShot wrote:I'm gonna be honest, with as much talent and star power as there is in the league, the only hopes of us winning a championship is for Weaver to sign me to start alongside Cade in the back court. I shrink about 6 inches from my dating profile, so I already have synergy with the 6'2 (reportedly 6'8 at time of the draft) Cade.

I'm assuming you'd sign for the vet minimum?

Return to Detroit Pistons