ImageImageImage

Signing J.Brunson is a MUST DO for DET

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: Signing J.Brunson is a MUST DO for DET 

Post#181 » by mattao313 » Fri May 13, 2022 8:23 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I am just not sure this team needs a 6'1" shooting guard. I mean, Pistons need playmakers, not scorers.
The pistons need everything to be honest.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#182 » by Snakebites » Fri May 13, 2022 8:25 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I am just not sure this team needs a 6'1" shooting guard. I mean, Pistons need playmakers, not scorers.

Does anyone really think we have enough scoring?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,598

Post#183 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 13, 2022 10:11 pm

bstein14 wrote:

Brunson is a bit more of a combo guard that can play well off the ball or on. He's got a bit of Chauncey Billups in him IMO. He for sure plays winning basketball and he won two NCAA championships. He's just got a lot of fight in him and as a Pistons fan you've got to love that. If you want someone who can take the ball to the basket, defend, hit open catch and shoot threes, and create shots for his teammates Brunson is the guy to get this summer.

I wouldn't be opposed to some of the other half price closer to MLE options but Brunson is for sure the guy out there that bumps us forward the most that is unrestricted and likely a realistic target.

Being everyone and their brother will be throwing max dollars at Brunson, I just don't think a 6'1" "combo shooting guard" who is not a playmaker, should be locked up to $25 mil per. I figured the Pistons should have learned their lesson from past mistakes by now.

But hey, he is the hot topic right now so everyone wants the hot topic. If he was a dominate player, sure, but he is not that and probably getting mad money way above his value and performance.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,689

Post#184 » by zeebneeb » Fri May 13, 2022 11:06 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

Brunson is a bit more of a combo guard that can play well off the ball or on. He's got a bit of Chauncey Billups in him IMO. He for sure plays winning basketball and he won two NCAA championships. He's just got a lot of fight in him and as a Pistons fan you've got to love that. If you want someone who can take the ball to the basket, defend, hit open catch and shoot threes, and create shots for his teammates Brunson is the guy to get this summer.

I wouldn't be opposed to some of the other half price closer to MLE options but Brunson is for sure the guy out there that bumps us forward the most that is unrestricted and likely a realistic target.

Being everyone and their brother will be throwing max dollars at Brunson, I just don't think a 6'1" "combo shooting guard" who is not a playmaker, should be locked up to $25 mil per. I figured the Pistons should have learned their lesson from past mistakes by now.

But hey, he is the hot topic right now so everyone wants the hot topic. If he was a dominate player, sure, but he is not that and probably getting mad money way above his value and performance.
Haven't seen you around for a minute, glad to see you posting. I have trepidation in signing Brunson as well. All due to his size. If he was 6'4, there wouldn't be a conversation. He is dynamic, he can shoot, he can handle the ball, he can run an offense, and he can play in the playoffs.

Its all about his size for me.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#185 » by flow » Wed Jun 1, 2022 1:23 am

Just to lock the door on the Jalen Brunson talk....

In an interview following Dallas' Game 5 loss to GS, Mark Cuban was asked about the Mavs off-season agenda. His response, very matter of factly: 'Well, after we sign JB we'll convene with the staff and see....'
When asked for confirmation that he plans to re-sign Brunson, he answered, "No one can pay him as much as we can."

Next....
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#186 » by Manocad » Wed Jun 1, 2022 12:33 pm

So in other words, a "must do" has to be something that's possible, right?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#187 » by Snakebites » Wed Jun 1, 2022 12:48 pm

There was never really strong reason to believe we could get him. It all kind of rested on the possibility that the Mavs could be unwilling/unable to pay him.

I guess there was vague hope of it a ways before the playoffs, especially before Dallas started playing so well. Whatever faint glimmer there was is gone now though.

Cuban is willing to open up the vault. I think he still remembers not paying what at the time was a modest amount to keep Steve Nash and then watching him get 2 MVPs in Phoenix.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#188 » by DBC10 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 3:10 pm

Snakebites wrote:There was never really strong reason to believe we could get him. It all kind of rested on the possibility that the Mavs could be unwilling/unable to pay him.

I guess there was vague hope of it a ways before the playoffs, especially before Dallas started playing so well. Whatever faint glimmer there was is gone now though.

Cuban is willing to open up the vault. I think he still remembers not paying what at the time was a modest amount to keep Steve Nash and then watching him get 2 MVPs in Phoenix.

Yep. That hope got extinguished once JB dismantled the Jazz and possibly broken up that franchise and then once more when he was a big part in assisting Luka absolutely pillage the Phoenix Suns on their home court. Made guys like CP3, Booker, and Ayton a nonfactor with their smaller and quicker lineups

He's a really good player, reminds me similar to when Reggie Jackson helped put away the Grizzlies in 2014 in the playoffs
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#189 » by whitehops » Thu Jun 2, 2022 2:40 am

flow wrote:Just to lock the door on the Jalen Brunson talk....

In an interview following Dallas' Game 5 loss to GS, Mark Cuban was asked about the Mavs off-season agenda. His response, very matter of factly: 'Well, after we sign JB we'll convene with the staff and see....'
When asked for confirmation that he plans to re-sign Brunson, he answered, "No one can pay him as much as we can."

Next....

that's only a factor if he's getting max money... not really sure what point cuban was trying to make there. unless he meant that teams don't have the cap space to outbid dallas? but even that isn't really true.

oh well, between the draft and FA this off season has a lot of possibilities for us.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#190 » by bstein14 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 3:11 am

Snakebites wrote:

Weaver said his #1 priority this offseason was to add scoring... aka take out the playmaking Killian Hayes and add in a guard who can put the ball in the basket. That's likely going to be priority #1 this offseason unless things have changed between the end of the season presser and now.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#191 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 3:48 am

Scoring doesn't have to come from the backcourt. It could mean take out the screen setting Beefstew and add in a center who can put the ball in the basket.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#192 » by mattao313 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 4:21 am

bstein14 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Weaver said his #1 priority this offseason was to add scoring... aka take out the playmaking Killian Hayes and add in a guard who can put the ball in the basket. That's likely going to be priority #1 this offseason unless things have changed between the end of the season presser and now.
Sexton sounds like that guy

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
DBC10
General Manager

Post#193 » by DBC10 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 9:29 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Scoring doesn't have to come from the backcourt. It could mean take out the screen setting Beefstew and add in a center who can put the ball in the basket.

We were essentially dead last in 3 pointers made percentage wise tied with OKC and at one point shooting a blistering (/s) 30% from 3 towards the end of December. We're woefully bad considering we attempt 35 attempts a night as a team
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/this-season-nba-team-3-point-shooting-percentage
https://pistonpowered.com/2021/12/22/detroit-pistons-nba-ban-3-point-shot/#:~:text=The%20Pistons%20are%20dead%20last,over%20their%20last%20three%20games.

We can use a shooter or two to give Cade a proper kick out partner so that defenses just don't pack the paint every time he drives. As talented as he is at making tough shots and mid range fadeaways. Even if we had a true center, it sure would help said center a lot too with the same spacing and not be swarmed down low
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#194 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 9:48 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Scoring doesn't have to come from the backcourt. It could mean take out the screen setting Beefstew and add in a center who can put the ball in the basket.

We were essentially dead last in 3 pointers made percentage wise tied with OKC and at one point shooting a blistering (/s) 30% from 3 towards the end of December. We're woefully bad considering we attempt 35 attempts a night as a team
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/this-season-nba-team-3-point-shooting-percentage
https://pistonpowered.com/2021/12/22/detroit-pistons-nba-ban-3-point-shot/#:~:text=The%20Pistons%20are%20dead%20last,over%20their%20last%20three%20games.

We can use a shooter or two to give Cade a proper kick out partner so that defenses just don't pack the paint every time he drives. As talented as he is at making tough shots and mid range fadeaways. Even if we had a true center, it sure would help said center a lot too with the same spacing and not be swarmed down low

Not sure why you quoted me on this. Better three point shooting and floor spacing can come from every position on the floor, not just whoever starts alongside Cade. It can and should come through the bench as well. Some of that is going to need to come through internal improvement (such as with Cade himself and hopefully more consistency from Bey, for instance).

But if you start pointing to numbers where the Pistons were woeful offensively last season, don't stop at 3 point percentage. It's basically every stat they keep except maybe transition offense. There isn't a single area of offense where we couldn't improve a bunch.
DBC10
General Manager

Post#195 » by DBC10 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 10:24 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

Not sure why you quoted me on this. Better three point shooting and floor spacing can come from every position on the floor, not just whoever starts alongside Cade. It can and should come through the bench as well. Some of that is going to need to come through internal improvement (such as with Cade himself and hopefully more consistency from Bey, for instance).

But if you start pointing to numbers where the Pistons were woeful offensively last season, don't stop at 3 point percentage. It's basically every stat they keep except maybe transition offense. There isn't a single area of offense where we couldn't improve a bunch.

I'm contesting your point how scoring doesn't have to come from the backcourt. It absolutely should start there considering Cade will need a backcourt mate. Cade will be our primary ball handler on most nights. so it's fairly important that he has someone he can reliably throw it out towards that can knock down shots in the same backcourt as him. As it stands in relative to last season, none of our starters were true "positive" shooters to properly space the floor thereby the offense suffered as you alluded to

If we figure out the lack of spacing (aka 3 point shooting being woefully bad), it'll be easier to figure out the rest of the offensive woes, a top down approach
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#196 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 12:41 am

Ah, OK, I missed the part where only people in the backcourt were allowed to shoot threes. :P
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#197 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 12:50 am

To be fair, what I *meant* to write is that scoring doesn't *just* have to come from the backcourt. We can use scoring upgrades all over our roster.

Return to Detroit Pistons