theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,756

Re: Signing J.Brunson is a MUST DO for DET 

Post#141 » by theBigLip » Tue May 3, 2022 10:40 pm

Manocad wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:If we want to succeed in the playoffs in the easter, we'll need to get past teams with long defenders like Boston, Milwaukee, and Miami (not going to mention Toronto, because we own them). This is another reason I was hesitant to fully support the idea of a shorter guy like Brunson.

No doubt. Looking at how Boston handled the Nets, it was pretty scary. I sort of want all our guys between 6'4" and 6'10", can shoot 3s, play crazy D, run like the wind, and 100% team oriented with no attitudes.

You forgot the green font.

Your green font statement should have been in green font as well :lol:
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,064

Post#142 » by MrBigShot » Wed May 4, 2022 3:23 am

Manocad wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:I'm gonna be honest, with as much talent and star power as there is in the league, the only hopes of us winning a championship is for Weaver to sign me to start alongside Cade in the back court. I shrink about 6 inches from my dating profile, so I already have synergy with the 6'2 (reportedly 6'8 at time of the draft) Cade.

I'm assuming you'd sign for the vet minimum?

I can knock down NBA threes unguarded at a solid 30% so I think there's a market for the MLE, but with Corey Joseph's max deal on the horizon I'd sacrifice for the team.

Lmao on a serious note though it will be interesting to see how Brunson responds after a very mediocre performance in game 1.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#143 » by Pharaoh » Wed May 4, 2022 10:24 am

MrBigShot wrote:
Manocad wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:I'm gonna be honest, with as much talent and star power as there is in the league, the only hopes of us winning a championship is for Weaver to sign me to start alongside Cade in the back court. I shrink about 6 inches from my dating profile, so I already have synergy with the 6'2 (reportedly 6'8 at time of the draft) Cade.

I'm assuming you'd sign for the vet minimum?

I can knock down NBA threes unguarded at a solid 30% so I think there's a market for the MLE, but with Corey Joseph's max deal on the horizon I'd sacrifice for the team.

Lmao on a serious note though it will be interesting to see how Brunson responds after a very mediocre performance in game 1.
GOLD response.

I might suck on a NBA defensive level but I'm draining open shots all day

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#144 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu May 5, 2022 12:33 am

I just think it's funny that I sleepily phone posted and apparently couldn't decide between "east" and "eastern conference" and settled on "easter." Derp. :-P
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,501

Post#145 » by whitehops » Thu May 5, 2022 1:50 am

if brunson is off the market (signs elsewhere) then i'd honestly be down to give oladipo a one year/$10-12 mil deal with potentially a player option on the second year.

he's healthy now and will have the off season to do preventative workouts instead of just rehabbing. the heat have his bird rights and could definitely bring him back but we could offer him more opportunity to restore his value.

he's definitely just a stop gap option, but an intriguing one if we don't find a longer-term guard this off season to pair with cade.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#146 » by Pharaoh » Thu May 5, 2022 3:42 am

whitehops wrote:if brunson is off the market (signs elsewhere) then i'd honestly be down to give oladipo a one year/$10-12 mil deal with potentially a player option on the second year.

he's healthy now and will have the off season to do preventative workouts instead of just rehabbing. the heat have his bird rights and could definitely bring him back but we could offer him more opportunity to restore his value.

he's definitely just a stop gap option, but an intriguing one if we don't find a longer-term guard this off season to pair with cade.
In that case it's a one and done deal with him here. Is that a route we want to take?

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#147 » by vege » Thu May 5, 2022 5:53 am

Brunson have been a disaster so far against Phoenix defense.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#148 » by Pharaoh » Thu May 5, 2022 6:10 am

Goes to show how inept the Utah perimeter defence really was.

But everyone will blame Rudy

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,501

Post#149 » by whitehops » Thu May 5, 2022 1:24 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
whitehops wrote:if brunson is off the market (signs elsewhere) then i'd honestly be down to give oladipo a one year/$10-12 mil deal with potentially a player option on the second year.

In that case it's a one and done deal with him here. Is that a route we want to take?

it would only be if we didn't find a longer-term option at guard. pretty much an alternative to starting cory joseph for another season.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#150 » by hoophabit » Thu May 5, 2022 9:22 pm

He looks less a "MUST DO" of late.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 303

Post#151 » by King Bugs » Thu May 5, 2022 10:16 pm

I need Jalen to look better or at least average since our FO is interested. It's one thing to go off against mediocre 5th seed defense, but to vanish against elite D is a red flag.

If Phoenix is doing this to him then the Miami's, Milwaukee's, and Boston's of the Eastern Conference are going to put him in a blender and that ain't worth 80 million dollars.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#152 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu May 5, 2022 10:25 pm

hoophabit wrote:He looks less a "MUST DO" of late.

Recency bias is strong (in both directions).
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#153 » by buzzkilloton » Thu May 5, 2022 11:32 pm

As I said during the first round when everyone was saying pay Brunson because he looked so good I will say it again now. If Mark Cuban and the Mavs dont think hes worth 20+mill a year to them to try to contend with then I'm not sure why hes worth it for us.Luka is one of the best players in the league and him with Brunson as a 2nd-3rd option in the past couple seasons is not looking like a title contender.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#154 » by vege » Thu May 5, 2022 11:58 pm

This is some good information

HotRocks34 wrote:After a strong performance against the Utah Jazz in Round 1 of the playoffs, Dallas Mavericks #2 option Jalen Brunson is experiencing pronounced struggles against the Phoenix Suns and their long, athletic defense.

Here are the statistics. "Game Score" is an efficiency metric. Higher positive number is better.

Brunson versus Jazz
27/4/4 on 48/36/084 with 31.5% Usage.................21.0 Game Score

Brunson versus Suns (through 2 games)
11/4/2 on 32/25/100 with 26.4% Usage.................04.1 Game Score

To underscore how much Brunson is struggling, we can compare his statistics with Phoenix's #2 option, Chris Paul. The two players have nearly identical usage rates through the first two contests.

Paul versus Mavs (through 2 games)
23/5/5 on 62/42/100 with 26.0% Usage................20.8 Game Score

Suffice it to say, Brunson (and many Mavs) is struggling badly against Phoenix's superior defense. We're not in Utah any longer. The Suns have five players averaging a double-digit Game Score, whereas the Mavs have just two (Luka, Kleber).

In fact, of the Mavs' top 7 players in minutes for the Suns series, only two of them (Luka, Kleber) have a better Game Score in the Suns series than they had in the Jazz series.

Brunson's and the rest of the Mavs' (not named Luka or Kleber) difficulties led Jason Kidd to say this following the Game 2 defeat:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33859096/jason-kidd-says-mavericks-need-players-besides-luka-doncic-step-dallas-2-0-hole-phoenix-suns

"(Luka) had a great game, but no one else showed (up)," Kidd said. "We've got to get other guys shooting the ball better."

Brunson is shooting 32% for the series. Dallas' #3 option Spencer Dinwiddie is shooting 33% for the series. Kidd called out both by name following the Game 2 defeat.

Brunson's struggles have also led to attacks by the Dallas press, such as this one:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2022/05/05/mavericks-are-fading-fast-and-jalen-brunson-is-nowhere-to-be-found-vs-suns/

Luka Doncic needs some help. I mean 80 points in two nights is not a bad effort, but the Dallas Mavericks are flying home trailing this series 2-0 because they are short one sidekick for their best player.

That reminds me. Whatever happened to Jalen Brunson?

(snip)

He is somewhere between a non-factor and a negative. And that’s stunning.

To make matters worse for the Mavs, Luka is playing with a thigh bruise he apparently suffered in Game 1 against the Suns. Here is Luka from practice on the day before Game 2:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

With Brunson and the rest of the Mavs not named Luka and Kleber struggling so greatly, can Dallas turn things around and make this a series?

Very doubtful. Thigh bruises don't tend to heal quickly, and even if Luka were 100% the Mavs are simply overpowered against a 64-18 Phoenix team that is just better than they are.

Luka's 40/8/7 on 53/42/78 isn't enough. As I mentioned in another thread, it recalls Jordan's 43/6/5 against Boston in 1986. Jordan shined, the Bulls got swept, and Boston went on to win the chip.

You just have to tip your cap to the better team. In my opinion, the Suns playing like this can only be stopped by a full-strength Bucks squad that can work to exploit their (Milwaukee's) size advantage against Phoenix. And even that may not be enough as this year's Suns have McGee and Biyombo, unlike last year.

Phoenix is the current Vegas title favorite for a reason. The Mavs aren't stopping them (given current health levels for both teams; provided Phoenix stays healthy). The only question left is how many games will the series go.

I think it's over in 4.

Brunson, Dinwiddie and the rest of the Mavs will learn from this experience. Jordan went three years beating his head against the Bad Boys' wall before he broke through. But those battles helped forge the MJ we saw winning 6 titles in the years to follow.

I'm a Mavs fan. I'm not mad, surprised or disappointed. To be honest, I'm actually happy that the Mavs are struggling some. Struggle leads to growth.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#155 » by dVs33 » Fri May 6, 2022 12:55 pm

Every dollar he made in the Utah series he’s now losing.
No way is he worth over 20 mil a year
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#156 » by DetroitSho » Fri May 6, 2022 1:12 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:

Put this in all caps and post it every 10 posts. Because the opinions of this board changes with the wind, it's freaking ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#157 » by hoophabit » Fri May 6, 2022 2:27 pm

Ooh, I see I upset the Brunson stans. Call it "recency bias" if you like, or a larger data set if you're thinking about it rationally.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#158 » by DetroitSho » Fri May 6, 2022 2:38 pm

hoophabit wrote:Ooh, I see I upset the Brunson stans. Call it "recency bias" if you like, or a larger data set if you're thinking about it rationally.
Really? I wanna see. Quote the upset posts?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,084

Post#159 » by NYPiston » Fri May 6, 2022 2:55 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:

So true.

Brunson isn't a "MUST DO" based on his dominance in the Utah series and he isn't a bum based on his struggles against Phoenix.
He's a solid 2nd/3rd option guy based on the larger sample size of his regular season. A guy you attempt to sign if you can get him at relatively reasonable numbers for #2/#3 option dollars (4yrs $80m) but absolutely not a guy you break the bank for (max money).

Personally, I like what he brings to the table. Can score at all levels offensively, nice playmaker, gritty. Kind of reminds me of Kyle Lowry a bit but he has also has some limitations so this is something Weaver will have to weigh when making a potential long term commitment to a complimentary player. He'd be a nice piece but not a player you go all in for.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#160 » by Manocad » Fri May 6, 2022 3:00 pm

I never saw Brunson as a "must do" regardless of the cost. "Must do" occurs when the team is at "the time is now, this is the last piece, get the best option available and roll with it" point. The team is not at that point. Especially when considering you have Ivey and Sharpe in the draft. Not to mention that people need to stop acting like a player being available = the Pistons can get said player if they want to.

Return to Detroit Pistons