Pistons want Bagley for 3 years.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,685

Re: Pistons want Bagley for 3 years. 

Post#21 » by Cowology » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:38 am

Snakebites wrote:What's the endgame with Bagley here?

The general consensus is that having him at center isn't viable. So what if we land in a draft spot where the BPA is a power forward? Do we let him walk?
That probably depends on what we're able to do with Grant. And possibly depends on Brunson.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#22 » by vege » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:45 am

Snakebites wrote:What's the endgame with Bagley here?

The general consensus is that having him at center isn't viable. So what if we land in a draft spot where the BPA is a power forward? Do we let him walk?

Bagley is not a starter so if BPA is a PF, the rookie will be our long term starter and Bagley will come off the bench fighting for minutes at the PF and C. BPA being a PF would likely affect Grant or possibly Bey if we slide Grant to SF (And KO), not Bagley.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#23 » by El Chivo » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:49 am

If we draft one of Jabari, Chet, Paolo and Murray one of Stewart, Grant, Olynyk and Bagley will be redundant.

Maybe 2, if we envision Livers and Bey as stretch fours.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#24 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:54 pm

El Chivo wrote:If we draft one of Jabari, Chet, Paolo and Murray one of Stewart, Grant, Olynyk and Bagley will be redundant.

Maybe 2, if we envision Livers and Bey as stretch fours.

Yep. As mediocre as our forward/big rotation is, it is currently full. There's a very good chance a lottery pick will knock someone out. Hard to tell who, but our rotation is actually crowded as it is. Crowded with mostly bench players.
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 303

Post#25 » by breezypeezy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:18 am

Detroit has a decent bench, problem is they play them as starters.

Bey, Livers, Stewart, Killian, Hamidou not a terrible bench.

We just need our starting 5 now.

Draft a center or a guard then sign F.A. for the position you didn't draft.

SF- Grant
PF- Bagley
PG- Cade
To go with lotto pick and F.A. and those before mentioned the 2nd unit.

I'm not seeing this logjam people are bringing up, just undersized guys that need to go the 2nd unit (Stewart) or be slotted differently (Grant).

This of course changes if Grant gets shipped or Bagley isn't kept, but as current the only redundancy in the front court is how to get rid of KO?
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#26 » by whitehops » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:51 pm

maaan if they want to sign him for three years there better be a team option and it better be no more than 3/$21M like the low end of the range james edwards reported.

bagley and cade obviously had chemistry but i'd argue that that was more cade making bagley look good. if we found another athletic big the results would probably be the same just because cade is so good at getting the ball to guys in their spots. bagley also has limitations in his game so he's pretty much strictly a backup. he does work well with olynyk though, as KO would be the center defensively and bagley essentially play the 5 on offense.

when we acquired him i hoped we didn't re-sign him, now i've come around a bit and would be okay with bringing him back. i just see him strictly as an energy big off the bench and i hope we pay him accordingly.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#27 » by Manocad » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:54 pm

I don't have that thing going where I tear every player down because of their faults; I look at whether or not they help the team. The team was better with Bagley than without him, plain and simple. If he can be kept on a reasonable contract I see no reason not to.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#28 » by chrbal » Sun May 1, 2022 3:15 am

If Bagley can be resigned for 3 seasons at something like $25-28 million total. Do it. He’s young enough to where he can work on some of his limitations. The Kings are that bad of an organization that part of his flaws could have been just being part of that team.

I mean honestly we can use a player like him on this roster, he’s a player like him and he seems to be appreciated here.

There’s no way he signs for 3 at 21 million. His qualifying offer is like $7.5 million. If all you’re getting offered is the 21, take your chances on free agency is 2023 with another season in Detroit.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#29 » by dVs33 » Sun May 1, 2022 3:53 am

Going up to 10 per is fair for Bagley. I still think seeing how the draft plays out and making a decision on grant needs to happen before any FA decisions.
IF we get one of the bigs in the draft and trade grant or draft a guard and keep grant, I’d be happy to bring Bagley back.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#30 » by Pharaoh » Sun May 1, 2022 4:29 am

Think the Draft and any decision on Grant is irrelevant to Bags situation.

He arrived, played well enough, brings something we lack and apparently is willing to take a reasonable contract.

Unless we find a "better" option in that price range why not keep Bags and see if we can school him, especially defensively

We gotta remember he was a legit top 5 pick for a reason not too long ago. Maybe we can unlock it, maybe not but at a fair price it's a gamble worth taking

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#31 » by Piston Pete » Sun May 1, 2022 9:27 pm

Rather have us spend the same money on Smith
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#32 » by Pharaoh » Mon May 2, 2022 3:02 am

Piston Pete wrote:Rather have us spend the same money on Smith
Assume we draft Sharpe could we get both Jalen Smith and Bags?

Bags and Jalen Smith with Stewart and Grant easily covers the 4/5.

Bey, Livers & Grant cover the 3

Sharpe, Cade, Diallo & Hayes cover the 1/2.

That's 10 dudes so see how this shakes out:

Cade 32
Sharpe 26 (rookie year)
Bey 32
Grant 32
Stewart 26

Jalen 18
Bags 22
Livers 16
Diallo 22
Hayes 16

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#33 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon May 2, 2022 11:43 pm

FloridaMan78 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:So a 3 year 30 million contract with a player option on the 3rd year?

That'll give him two years to fully rehab his value while still getting market money and an opt out if he wants to move on which gives him flexibility

The Athletic projects 3yrs 21-24 mil

I wouldn’t be upset with 3yr 30 mil though. That’s perfect for the first big off the bench. Would just have to move Olynyk or Grant or both.

3 years 30 million is bidding against ourselves. No one is offering him that in FA. 20 games doesn’t change his prior 3 plus years. I like him and want him back. If he wants more than 3 @ 24 (team option on the third year)., id probably pass.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#34 » by FloridaMan78 » Wed May 4, 2022 6:39 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
FloridaMan78 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:So a 3 year 30 million contract with a player option on the 3rd year?

That'll give him two years to fully rehab his value while still getting market money and an opt out if he wants to move on which gives him flexibility

The Athletic projects 3yrs 21-24 mil

I wouldn’t be upset with 3yr 30 mil though. That’s perfect for the first big off the bench. Would just have to move Olynyk or Grant or both.

3 years 30 million is bidding against ourselves. No one is offering him that in FA. 20 games doesn’t change his prior 3 plus years. I like him and want him back. If he wants more than 3 @ 24 (team option on the third year)., id probably pass.

Here’s some contracts from last years free agency to give some perspective. Every year salaries go up around 5%.

Daniel Theis 4 years 36 mil
Nerlins Nolen 3 years 27 mil
Zack Collins 3 years 21 mil (signed after foot surgery)
Lauri Markkanen 4 years 67 mil

Bagley averaged more points and rebounds then all of them.

Return to Detroit Pistons