ImageImageImage

My Offseaon Plan for the Pistons.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Shooter1
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

My Offseaon Plan for the Pistons. 

Post#1 » by Shooter1 » Sun May 8, 2022 5:05 pm

Let's start by saying a lot of how we build this team will be based on if we get a top3 pick or the 7th pick. If we get a PF in the draft then what do we do with Grant? If we get Sharpe or Ivey then what happens in FA with Brunson? Here is my two plans.

PF in the draft

PG- Brunson/K Hayes
SG- Cade/J Hart
SF- Bey/Livers
PF- Rookie PF/Bagley
C- Stewart/J Duren

We would trade J Grant for Poland top pick along with Hart then draft Jalen Duren

SG in the Draft

PG-Cade/K Hayes
SG- Rookie SG/M Monk
SF Bey/Livers
PF-Grant/Bagley
C-Stweart/M Robinson

Either way we must figure out a way to get rid of Kelly Olynyk

Not sure which team I like better but a sure fire start in the right direction.

Last thing is Troy Weaver must not fall into the Joe Dumars trap of signing unproven FA into long term contracts if Brunson/Deandre Ayton/Levine are not attainable.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: My Offseaon Plan for the Pistons. 

Post#2 » by Manocad » Sun May 8, 2022 8:42 pm

No clue. I'm not manning the phones and talking to other teams. Is Ayton willing to sign with the Pistons? Is Mitchell Robinson? Are other teams willing to trade for Grant? And for what in return?

The better question is "What would you want to happen?" I'll be happy to answer that. Ayton signs with the Pistons for 4 years, $128 million. Someone trades for Grant for a high first rounder and filler. The Pistons draft one of the PF/C's available and one of Ivey/Sharpe.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 733

Post#3 » by A_dub06 » Sun May 8, 2022 9:06 pm

Shooter1 wrote:Let's start by saying a lot of how we build this team will be based on if we get a top3 pick or the 7th pick. If we get a PF in the draft then what do we do with Grant? If we get Sharpe or Ivey then what happens in FA with Brunson? Here is my two plans.

PF in the draft

PG- Brunson/K Hayes
SG- Cade/J Hart
SF- Bey/Livers
PF- Rookie PF/Bagley
C- Stewart/J Duren

We would trade J Grant for Poland top pick along with Hart then draft Jalen Duren

SG in the Draft

PG-Cade/K Hayes
SG- Rookie SG/M Monk
SF Bey/Livers
PF-Grant/Bagley
C-Stweart/M Robinson

Last thing is Troy Weaver must not fall into the Joe Dumars trap of signing unproven FA into long term contracts if Brunson/Deandre Ayton/Levine are not attainable.

When you say Portlands too pick you are referring to their currently projected 6th pick aren’t you? If so, I think should take Sharpe instead of Duren, I think he will still be available at 6. I also don’t think Grant gets us to #6 though.
Shooter1
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#4 » by Shooter1 » Sun May 8, 2022 10:45 pm

Manocad wrote:No clue. I'm not manning the phones and talking to other teams. Is Ayton willing to sign with the Pistons? Is Mitchell Robinson? Are other teams willing to trade for Grant? And for what in return?

The better question is "What would you want to happen?" I'll be happy to answer that. Ayton signs with the Pistons for 4 years, $128 million. Someone trades for Grant for a high first rounder and filler. The Pistons draft one of the PF/C's available and one of Ivey/Sharpe.

Serious? These are MY PLANS. No one knows if anyone will sign with any team right now so your point is moot. Not sure Grant gets us a top 7 draft pick but it is more viable then a top 5 FA coming to Detroit. The biggest takeaway is we should not go for Brunson if we get Sharpe or Ivey. We should trade Grant if we get a PF.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#5 » by Manocad » Mon May 9, 2022 12:06 am

Shooter1 wrote:
Manocad wrote:No clue. I'm not manning the phones and talking to other teams. Is Ayton willing to sign with the Pistons? Is Mitchell Robinson? Are other teams willing to trade for Grant? And for what in return?

Serious? These are MY PLANS. No one knows if anyone will sign with any team right now so your point is moot. Not sure Grant gets us a top 7 draft pick but it is more viable then a top 5 FA coming to Detroit. The biggest takeaway is we should not go for Brunson if we get Sharpe or Ivey. We should trade Grant if we get a PF.

You DID ask questions, right? I answered. Your “plan” without knowing what other teams are willing to do is moot.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#6 » by buzzkilloton » Mon May 9, 2022 12:26 am

Any plan that includes Brunson I'm out figuring hes going to command 20mill. I'm good with a stop gap guard or going in with Ivey/Sharpe. I'd ofc be good with Lavine but i dont even consider him a option.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#7 » by vege » Mon May 9, 2022 12:37 am

Shooter1 wrote:

Don't get baited, the OP is fine, and I think it's in line with the information we got so far.

The only thing is, Robinson would start, not Stewart.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Post#8 » by bstein14 » Mon May 9, 2022 2:07 am

Once we see where we're drafting in 9 days, I think it will likely paint a bit of a clearer picture as to what our options might be.

Top 1-3 with a big or 4-6 with a guard most likely paints where we spend our FA money. You'd not going to draft an Ivey and pay a Brunson, per se.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#9 » by chrbal » Mon May 9, 2022 2:26 am

1- accept the fact that the NBA is trying to create an up and coming team in Detroit. So with the first pick in the ‘22 draft we select Jabari Smith. Reasoning is because I picked a name of a big.

2- trade grant to Portland for the (let’s say) 6th pick and filler. To go with picking the kids of former NBA players, we select Adrian Griffin jr.

3- keep bagley

4- continue the tradition of moving a perfectly useable big (Dedmon, Bradley, Plumlee) to add a different perfectly useable big (Plumlee, Olynyk). Hopefully this time we don’t spend so much.

5- make Hayes just constantly work on shooting drills, Bey fundamental defense, Stewart gets draymond green highlights ( more about effort and finding a better use then skill sets).

Run with primarily the younger guys, add major talent in free agency in ‘23.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#10 » by FloridaMan78 » Mon May 9, 2022 2:32 am

chrbal wrote:1- accept the fact that the NBA is trying to create an up and coming team in Detroit. So with the first pick in the ‘22 draft we select Jabari Smith. Reasoning is because I picked a name of a big.

2- trade grant to Portland for the (let’s say) 6th pick and filler. To go with picking the kids of former NBA players, we select Adrian Griffin jr.

3- keep bagley

4- continue the tradition of moving a perfectly useable big (Dedmon, Bradley, Plumlee) to add a different perfectly useable big (Plumlee, Olynyk). Hopefully this time we don’t spend so much.

5- make Hayes just constantly work on shooting drills, Bey fundamental defense, Stewart gets draymond green highlights ( more about effort and finding a better use then skill sets).

2. I would be pretty upset if we picked Griffin anywhere near the lottery.

His defense is straight trash.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#11 » by chrbal » Mon May 9, 2022 2:37 am

FloridaMan78 wrote:
chrbal wrote:1- accept the fact that the NBA is trying to create an up and coming team in Detroit. So with the first pick in the ‘22 draft we select Jabari Smith. Reasoning is because I picked a name of a big.

3- keep bagley

2. I would be pretty upset if we picked Griffin anywhere near the lottery.

His defense is straight trash.

My post is only partially serious , I tried to make the non serious obvious. Didn’t even know he was actually a person until I googled nba mock draft
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by buzzkilloton » Mon May 9, 2022 2:48 am

3- keep bagley

This is actually a plan I would get behind. I wouldnt take Griffin at 6 and I highly doubt Blazers would give us pick 6 for Grant anyways. I love the strategy of building up the young core and coming into next years free agency going after the big talent.

This plan gives Hayes one final shot at being a starter with us. Of course we would still sign a stop gap starting guard that Hayes can hopefully beat out. I dont believe in Hayes getting a shot down at all but crazier things have happened.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Post#13 » by bstein14 » Mon May 9, 2022 2:55 am

The only Grant trade to Portland is likely going to involve us moving Grant to move our pick into the top 3, along with the 5th or 6th pick... if Portland gets lucky and we don't, and if Portland willing to trade down a few spots to add Grant to their roster.

I can't see us landing a top 6 pick for Grant straight up, or even if we included a few 2nd rounders as well. Just not happening for us and we don't have other trade assets to really close the gap.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#14 » by ducler » Mon May 9, 2022 5:48 am

bstein14 wrote:The only Grant trade to Portland is likely going to involve us moving Grant to move our pick into the top 3, along with the 5th or 6th pick... if Portland gets lucky and we don't, and if Portland willing to trade down a few spots to add Grant to their roster.

I can't see us landing a top 6 pick for Grant straight up, or even if we included a few 2nd rounders as well. Just not happening for us and we don't have other trade assets to really close the gap.
Yep, we may have to add Bey and go Grant + Bey for Bledsoe's corpse + their pick.

If Sharpe is still there when they pick or if they move up to top 3 and us picking 5/6, that's a possibility I'd consider.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by buzzkilloton » Mon May 9, 2022 6:15 am

ducler wrote:
bstein14 wrote:The only Grant trade to Portland is likely going to involve us moving Grant to move our pick into the top 3, along with the 5th or 6th pick... if Portland gets lucky and we don't, and if Portland willing to trade down a few spots to add Grant to their roster.

Yep, we may have to add Bey and go Grant + Bey for Bledsoe's corpse + their pick.

If Sharpe is still there when they pick or if they move up to top 3 and us picking 5/6, that's a possibility I'd consider.

I'd do this if I can get any of the 3 bigs,Ivey, or Sharpe. Sucks trading Bey but if you want high draft picks you gotta give up some loot. I'm guessing alot of fans wouldnt even do this trade but thats how you know its actually realistic. Trades usually have both parties giving up things fairly close in value not "give them Grant with 1year on his deal and needing to be paid give me top 6 pick" teams just arent doing that.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,946

Post#16 » by tmorgan » Mon May 9, 2022 6:55 am

I would do Grant and Bey + who we pick to get (Jabari or Chet) + Sharpe in an instant. Not for Ivey, though.

Bey is solid (if streaky), but three young premiere prospects to build around + Stew, Killian, and our current fillers is fine with me.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#17 » by Manocad » Mon May 9, 2022 11:26 am

Why would you have to trade Bey? Remember, this is YOUR PLAN. When it's your plan it goes exactly how you want it to go. I mean, unless you just want to trade him.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,114

Post#18 » by NYPiston » Mon May 9, 2022 3:13 pm

Shooter1 wrote:Let's start by saying a lot of how we build this team will be based on if we get a top3 pick or the 7th pick. If we get a PF in the draft then what do we do with Grant? If we get Sharpe or Ivey then what happens in FA with Brunson? Here is my two plans.

PF in the draft

PG- Brunson/K Hayes
SG- Cade/J Hart
SF- Bey/Livers
PF- Rookie PF/Bagley
C- Stewart/J Duren

SG in the Draft

PG-Cade/K Hayes
SG- Rookie SG/M Monk
SF Bey/Livers
PF-Grant/Bagley
C-Stweart/M Robinson

I highly doubt that the Pistons get Portland's 1st alone for Grant. Adding in Hart just makes it a completely unrealistic proposal.
I'd be very surprised if Grant is moved at this point, I think Weaver is going to want this team taking a step forward next season and trading Grant for futures doesn't accomplish that in the short term. I also have a feeling that he sees Grant as part of the core and won't trade him barring an obscene offer so I think an extension is more likely than a trade.

I do feel like Olynyk could very well be moved especially if they draft a big and keep Grant, assuming that they also keep Bagley. Just too much clutter in the frontcourt in that case.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,114

Post#19 » by NYPiston » Mon May 9, 2022 3:20 pm

Don't be silly, Weaver isn't going to trade Grant to move up 2-3 spots in a draft where there's no surefire superstar prospect.

I see some proposals of Grant+Bey for Portland's pick at 6. What madness is this? Ridiculously awful trade for the Pistons, just stop guys. Grant likely doesn't net you the Portland pick but Bey sure as hell isn't the difference in value there.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,946

Post#20 » by tmorgan » Mon May 9, 2022 5:28 pm

Manocad wrote:Why would you have to trade Bey? Remember, this is YOUR PLAN. When it's your plan it goes exactly how you want it to go. I mean, unless you just want to trade him.

Nothing goes exactly the way you want it to go. I’ll post what I think is realistic.

I think the two players I want will be top 4 picks (one of the three bigs and Sharpe). Thus, landing two of them requires both DET and POR to have a lottery ball selected. If that unlikely event happens, yes, I’d be willing to trade Grant and Bey for Portland’s TPE and Bledsoe to get that pick.

Bey is a good player for where we selected him. He’s fairly young, but probably done developing physically. His game probably will expand a bit more, but you need to see him for what he is — a guy that can take and make tough shots, but on unimpressive efficiency. Add to that his lack of lateral quickness and speed in general, his fairly poor defense, and nothing else of note except solid strength and rebounding, and you have what he is, a solid but nothing special player. Every team needs guys like Bey, but in two years when he’s making 20 million a year, he’s not a bargain. If we hadn’t drafted him mid-late first round in Weaver’s first draft, we wouldn’t be so attached to him.

Cade is special. These two picks have a good chance to be special. You trade for that special stuff whenever you can.

Return to Detroit Pistons