ImageImageImage

Would you trade a top 3 pick for SGA/D.Mitch?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Re: Would you trade a top 3 pick for SGA/D.Mitch? 

Post#21 » by Invictus88 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:33 pm

Jsindto wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
whitehops wrote:
This might sound odd but SGA isn’t really on their timeline. At 23 years old this past season he was not only their oldest rotation player but one of the oldest players on the roster period. Besides Derrick Favors with a player option next season SGA is their only player not on a rookie contract in 2023.

That obviously means they can afford him, but they are going to be a very, very bad team for the length of his contract at the rate they’re going. None of their prospects seem to have that much potential as is and it’s likely they don’t view SGA as a true lead guy anyways.

I could definitely see them trying to re-load and try to find a true franchise piece. If the report last draft of them offering SGA and the 6th pick to us is true then that would reinforce that idea.

That said, I’m not sure if they view any of the top players to be potential franchise guys but who knows.

You might be right, but I have to wonder if the Thunder share your dim outlook on their young pieces. And there’s a solid chance they already have a top pick in this draft, too.

I agree that if I'm OKC, I don't view a 24 year old as "too old for their timeline." If he were 27, maybe? But 24 is just so young that they could suck for 3 more years and he's still only 27 years old.

And as you say, if they end up with a top 3 pick, there would seemingly be no reason to reset their timeline since you'd have a 20 year Josh Giddey and then a top young PF? They'd be a couple of years away form the playoffs IMO.

<replying to an earlier quote in the chain because I don't want to split the discussion up>

I don't think OKC offering the #6 pick and SGA for Cade speaks as much to their lack of faith in SGA as it did in their appraisal of Cade or other top picks last year. It really was a fantastic draft. There are multiple all-stars coming out of the top of it.

As such, I don't see anyone comparable to that in this year's draft. Or it's at least not a virtual certainty like it was with last year's crop. So I don't see why they would then consider trading SGA for one of the top picks now.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#22 » by buzzkilloton » Wed May 11, 2022 10:55 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Jsindto wrote:
Snakebites wrote:You might be right, but I have to wonder if the Thunder share your dim outlook on their young pieces. And there’s a solid chance they already have a top pick in this draft, too.

I agree that if I'm OKC, I don't view a 24 year old as "too old for their timeline." If he were 27, maybe? But 24 is just so young that they could suck for 3 more years and he's still only 27 years old.

And as you say, if they end up with a top 3 pick, there would seemingly be no reason to reset their timeline since you'd have a 20 year Josh Giddey and then a top young PF? They'd be a couple of years away form the playoffs IMO.

<replying to an earlier quote in the chain because I don't want to split the discussion up>

I don't think OKC offering the #6 pick and SGA for Cade speaks as much to their lack of faith in SGA as it did in their appraisal of Cade or other top picks last year. It really was a fantastic draft. There are multiple all-stars coming out of the top of it.

As such, I don't see anyone comparable to that in this year's draft. Or it's at least not a virtual certainty like it was with last year's crop. So I don't see why they would then consider trading SGA for one of the top picks now.

It just shows OKC would consider moving him + a high 1st in a strong class for a highly regarded prospect. We dont know who they grade how but we do know SGA isnt untouchable. Some players wont even be considered in a trade like us with Cade.

This is a hypothetical question. Teams make illogical moves all the time its not that uncommon. I mean some are saying there is no way OKC would make the deal while myself i wouldnt trade pick 3 for SGA as the pistons.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#23 » by Cowology » Wed May 11, 2022 11:19 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Jsindto wrote:I agree that if I'm OKC, I don't view a 24 year old as "too old for their timeline." If he were 27, maybe? But 24 is just so young that they could suck for 3 more years and he's still only 27 years old.

It just shows OKC would consider moving him + a high 1st in a strong class for a highly regarded prospect. We dont know who they grade how but we do know SGA isnt untouchable. Some players wont even be considered in a trade like us with Cade.

This is a hypothetical question. Teams make illogical moves all the time its not that uncommon. I mean some are saying there is no way OKC would make the deal while myself i wouldnt trade pick 3 for SGA as the pistons.
The problem is we're not actually good trade partners. If the pick is low enough for us to trade it, it's probably too low for the Thunder to want it. That's because both teams essentially want & value the same thing as we're both trying to build through the draft. This type of deal works much better when one of the teams is trying to compete at a high level and values proven productivity over potential. That's a spot I hope we get to in a few years, but we aren't there yet.

This would make waaaaay more sense for a team like Portland if they move up in the lottery. You'd probably need a 3rd team to convert some of these guards into forwards, but that's a team looking to parlay draft capital into immediate productivity. Maybe we help facilitate with Grant and some other assets, but not giving up the pick here.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#24 » by DBC10 » Thu May 12, 2022 1:44 am

Both are more or less already established "stars" so it's bit of a tough call. Do you try to accelerate Cade's development by getting him that 2nd star along with keeping Grant see where the holes still lie or all in on another development year for next year with a guy like Sharpe/Chet/Banchero etc

Certainly, I don't think it's a bad choice either way though. SGA is obviously solid for anyone that actually caught a few games of OKC, and DMitchell had a down year but certainly not out

Return to Detroit Pistons