Roll with the youth and another lottery pick in 2023

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Re: Roll with the youth and another lottery pick in 2023 

Post#21 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun May 15, 2022 10:17 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:We should try to win, because that's what winners do. We should build a culture instead of trying to out-clever the system. Leave the latter to perennial losers like OKC.

OKC had a team that had Durant/Westbrook/Harden that would of titled if not for LBJ. Mind you all 3 of those guys were drafted at the top of the draft. Weaver building us like he did that OKC team is not a bad thing. Being wise with cap space and building through the draft is not building a bad culture.

I'm talking about post-Westbrook OKC's assets over wins culture.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#22 » by Invictus88 » Sun May 15, 2022 10:54 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:We should try to win, because that's what winners do. We should build a culture instead of trying to out-clever the system. Leave the latter to perennial losers like OKC.

OKC had a team that had Durant/Westbrook/Harden that would of titled if not for LBJ. Mind you all 3 of those guys were drafted at the top of the draft. Weaver building us like he did that OKC team is not a bad thing. Being wise with cap space and building through the draft is not building a bad culture.

I'm talking about post-Westbrook OKC's assets over wins culture.

Westbrook last played for OKC in the 2018-19 season. So 3 seasons ago.

How long do you think a complete paving and rebuilding of a franchise takes?

When they drafted Durant followed by Westbrook followed by Harden it still took them until their third year to post a winning record. And I think we can all agree that that was one of the best 3 year draft hauls in NBA history.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#23 » by Crymson » Sun May 15, 2022 11:01 pm

Good luck with that. If the Pistons have a "winning culture" through trying to win games and other teams have a "winning culture" by likewise trying to win games but have much more talent than the Pistons have, how many games against those teams do you figure the Pistons will win?

Culture doesn't trump talent. Both are necessary. The Pistons will not win with enough of the former but not enough of the latter. And by the very definition of that so-called "winning culture," they're not going to build much of one if they're not winning enough games.

And building through the draft does not amount to an attempt to "out-clever the system." It's a standard way of building a team.

Be patient.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#24 » by edmunder_prc » Sun May 15, 2022 11:03 pm

Cowology wrote:I don't believe this team has the ability to stealth tank unless they get hit by injuries. You can hoard your gold, draft a project and only play guys under 25 but the team is still going to win too many games.

You can be patient. You can focus on "development". But if you are expecting a top 8 pick outa that deal you are going to be really disappointed.

OKC did it with at least as much talent as the Pistons will have next year.

They shut SGA down for parts the season and for games against other bad teams, they sit anyone with talent and call up G-leaguers to start.

If you have an organization that is determined to get high picks its not hard, its actually very easy. Hinkie did, OKC managed it for a couple years with SGA being very good and still tanking.

Rest Cade/Bey/Grant and anyone with real talent against the other bad teams. Probably wont win most of the games against the other playoff contenders. Get a top 6 pick. There is a strategy that would work in a few sentences and easy to execute.

Cade still gets to play a lot of the year and develop, mostly against the other good teams, but still limits his minutes and miles.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#25 » by Canadafan » Mon May 16, 2022 12:04 am

zeebneeb wrote:I haven't been bold in my predictions in a LONG ASS TIME, because of the nightmare that was Darko, and Andre Drummond. Some of y'all have been here for a few years, others for a decade. I'm rolling up on 20 years here, and watching the Pistons since 87'. (Since 12 years old)

Cade is an extremely unique player, that the Detroit Pistons have never had before. I have seen very few players like him either, in all the years I've been watching, and if there is one thing I know for absolute certain(it's not even a bold prediction in my mind)is that no matter who is on the floor with him, next year Cade is going to drag this miserable franchise to at least the play-in next year.

It doesn't matter if Weaver "rolls with youth" or not. The absolute bottom number of wins this team ends up with next year is 35. This is if everything goes wrong. Pick is #7 and a bust, the team extends Grant, and adds a stupid free agent, or none at all. Cade is that good.

If the team has a decent offseason, we are looking at 41 wins. Great offseason, 45+.

So, if everything just bottoms out, sure, I could see the Pistons end up with a another low end lottery pick, but I wouldn't bet against Cade, who looks like a floor raising badass. Also, I've been drinking.

Wow man, we both have been addicted to the Pistons the exact same amount of time. A teacher of mine got me into the Pistons right around 87 as well. He knew a girl that was dating or probably partying with John Salley and got a few of us autographed pics of spider Salley.
I hope we land this pick of ours and grow internally and use our cap next summer to catapult us. If we happen to make the play in next year that's fine too
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#26 » by Manocad » Tue May 17, 2022 2:55 pm

Given the situation the Pistons are currently in, there's no reason to tank for another year. This year's pick could explode, Grant could get traded this offseason for a more complementary player, maybe some guys get swapped out for free agents, and this team could be playoff-bound. There's no reason to assume the team won't be good enough after those things play out and thus should plan on needing another top draft pick.
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#27 » by Southern Piston » Tue May 17, 2022 3:13 pm

Unless your ending up with two picks in the top 7 in this draft there’s no reason to go younger, we’re not likely to get good free agents if we’re trading Grant away, Cade is ready, the faster we start making a run in the playoffs the faster people are going to want to come play for us.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#28 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:00 pm

Crymson wrote:

Good luck with that. If the Pistons have a "winning culture" through trying to win games and other teams have a "winning culture" by likewise trying to win games but have much more talent than the Pistons have, how many games against those teams do you figure the Pistons will win?

Culture doesn't trump talent. Both are necessary. The Pistons will not win with enough of the former but not enough of the latter. And by the very definition of that so-called "winning culture," they're not going to build much of one if they're not winning enough games.

And building through the draft does not amount to an attempt to "out-clever the system." It's a standard way of building a team.

Be patient.

Folks seem to be reading a ton into my posts that isn't there, so let me clarify and stop you from Straw Manning my position:

1. I'm plenty patient. I didn't say it's playoffs or bust next season or something like that. We have a lot of talent on our roster that I believe in and look forward to seeing continue to blossum.
2. Purposefully tanking year after year does not create a winning culture. Some teams purposefully tank. Some folks in this thread are advocating purposefully tanking. I'd prefer not to do that.
3. Yes, we need talent. All teams do. I never said otherwise. I just said we should *try to win games.* Trying to win games doesn't mean not getting more talent. It simply means you don't have to act like you have no chance to win games until you get more. Being a scrappy upcoming team is a great way to attract free agents and increase internal development of young players.
4. I never said we shouldn't try to draft good players. You can and should draft good players at any point in the draft. I just don't think we should purposely lose games to try to increase our draft odds. I think that creates a loser mentality that haunts teams long term. I'd much rather be a Memphis than a Philadelphia.

Return to Detroit Pistons