Athletic post lotto mock

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Re: Athletic post lotto mock 

Post#21 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 18, 2022 1:59 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I said it before the draft, and ill say it again, I really didn't care where the Pistons landed, and anything 5 and up I'm happy.

I'm happy. This draft is a weird one, in that there isn't a clear top guy, and you have some players who have been mocked into the top 3(Sharpe), or even top spot prior to the lottery.(Ivey)

Now that it seems that the Pistons are going to be taking a guard, or Murray(I mean its realistically between 3, maybe 4 guys Ivey, Sharpe, Murray, or Mathurin) It's going to be easier to know what Weaver might do in the offseason.

Adding one of the guards will give the Pistons a killer three guard lineup, one that will be around for years, which is what I believe will happen. I just can't see the Kings selecting Ivey, and to be honest, I see them taking Murray, who would fit very nicely next to Sabonis. Of course, this is the kings, so anything possible.

That leaves Ivey or Sharpe. Not a fan of Iveys potential fit next to Cade, but in a vacuum, I take him without thinking about it as he is a fierce competitor, and bucket getter. The guy I really like is Mathurin at #5, but I'm in the minority here, so I understand the Sharpe excitement.

In the end, im fine with any of those 4.
Big fan of Mathurin and if possible I'd be hoping to deal Grant to Portland for their pick and select him there.

Pipe dream would be Murray at 5, Mathurin at 7

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Portland dropping to 7 has made this line of thinking possible. Dame and Grant have a connection, and there is absolutely smoke there. They want to put a competitive team around Dame immediately, and Grant would be a great piece to add to their mix.

I don't see any universe in which Portland keeps that pick, and with the Grant connection, your scenario could be a hell of alot more possible then any of us think.
Scottgaf
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#22 » by Scottgaf » Wed May 18, 2022 2:10 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I said it before the draft, and ill say it again, I really didn't care where the Pistons landed, and anything 5 and up I'm happy.

I'm happy. This draft is a weird one, in that there isn't a clear top guy, and you have some players who have been mocked into the top 3(Sharpe), or even top spot prior to the lottery.(Ivey)

Now that it seems that the Pistons are going to be taking a guard, or Murray(I mean its realistically between 3, maybe 4 guys Ivey, Sharpe, Murray, or Mathurin) It's going to be easier to know what Weaver might do in the offseason.

Adding one of the guards will give the Pistons a killer three guard lineup, one that will be around for years, which is what I believe will happen. I just can't see the Kings selecting Ivey, and to be honest, I see them taking Murray, who would fit very nicely next to Sabonis. Of course, this is the kings, so anything possible.

That leaves Ivey or Sharpe. Not a fan of Iveys potential fit next to Cade, but in a vacuum, I take him without thinking about it as he is a fierce competitor, and bucket getter. The guy I really like is Mathurin at #5, but I'm in the minority here, so I understand the Sharpe excitement.

In the end, im fine with any of those 4.
Big fan of Mathurin and if possible I'd be hoping to deal Grant to Portland for their pick and select him there.

Pipe dream would be Murray at 5, Mathurin at 7

Portland dropping to 7 has made this line of thinking possible. Dame and Grant have a connection, and there is absolutely smoke there. They want to put a competitive team around Dame immediately, and Grant would be a great piece to add to their mix.

I don't see any universe in which Portland keeps that pick, and with the Grant connection, your scenario could be a hell of alot more possible then any of us think.

I think this would be a great deal for both teams. Portland wants to win now, and Detroit can get good value to target their window in two years.

Getting Sharpe or Ivey, and Murray or Mathurin would significantly improve this teams defense and athletic ability.

Adding a big man via a sign and trade would be the icing on the cake.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#23 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:51 pm

If I'm a Portland fan I haaaaaate that deal so much. As a Pistons fan, I love it.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#24 » by edmunder_prc » Fri May 20, 2022 12:26 am

The Moose wrote:
The Moose wrote:;ab_channel=TeaAndRockets

some very good analysis

;ab_channel=TeaAndRockets

posting this guys Ivey breakdown too since the Sharpe video was really well made

Ivey looks really good in this. I wish his left hand was better or that he took more shots.

Is he really faster/quicker than Diallo? Diallo has an opportunity for dunks in the NBA but guys in the NBA are fast, so Ivey/Diallo arent going to be able to run down the court and dunk for 50% of their shots.

Likely its Ivey is he is there it seems.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#25 » by mattao313 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:31 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
The Moose wrote:
The Moose wrote:;ab_channel=TeaAndRockets

some very good analysis

;ab_channel=TeaAndRockets

posting this guys Ivey breakdown too since the Sharpe video was really well made

Ivey looks really good in this. I wish his left hand was better or that he took more shots.

Is he really faster/quicker than Diallo? Diallo has an opportunity for dunks in the NBA but guys in the NBA are fast, so Ivey/Diallo arent going to be able to run down the court and dunk for 50% of their shots.

Likely its Ivey is he is there it seems.

Imo Ivey is much quicker and explosive than diallo. Diallo is more bouncy. Iveys burst is elite.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#26 » by bstein14 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:37 am

The Ringer mentions that the Kings have a "playoff mandate" this year which means they are not likely to take Sharpe if he is there. They'll go for a more ready player, or look to move the pick for a player they feel is a difference maker for them.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#27 » by bstein14 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:38 am

The Kings reportedly have a "playoff mandate" this year which means they are not likely to take Sharpe if he is there IMO. Feels like they are likely to Ivey.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#28 » by Pharaoh » Fri May 20, 2022 3:47 am

Ivey or Murray likely if they keep the pick

Wonder what they could get in a trade for #4 though.

bstein14
RealGM

Post#29 » by bstein14 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:59 am

Pharaoh wrote:Ivey or Murray likely if they keep the pick

Rudy Gobert for Harrison Barnes, Justin Holiday, and #4? Gobert makes them a playoff team.

or

Fox + #4 for Mitchell is also interesting.

Not sure what other top 25 players would be available. It seems like most players are happy where they are now outside of maybe Zion and Julius Randle, both of whom are PFs with Sabonis also a PF.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#30 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:37 pm

Sabonis and Gobert is a terrible fit.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#31 » by zeebneeb » Fri May 20, 2022 8:45 pm

bstein14 wrote:The Kings reportedly have a "playoff mandate" this year which means they are not likely to take Sharpe if he is there IMO. Feels like they are likely to Ivey.
That's why I believe if they don't trade that #4 pick, they are taking Murray, who would fit rather well next to Sabonis. It is Sacramento though, and they are prone to severe bouts of idiocy, so taking Ivey, and having 53 guards on the roster makes perfect sense for them.
coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

Post#32 » by coolness » Fri May 20, 2022 9:39 pm

If the Pistons are offered to trade up from #5 to #4 or better, it might be a scam. Like the other team wants Sharpe or Murray already with their pick, and if we don't swap with them, there's a small chance we get one of the 3 big men at #5. Banchero (and others) could end up being the best player in the draft. Banchero is rated lower than Jabari Smith Jr. and Chet Holmgren AFAIK and has strengths they don't have. Banchero is the more versatile scorer, the better passer, and could be the better post defender due to his size (but not with the blocks like Chet).
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#33 » by DBC10 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:11 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Sabonis and Gobert is a terrible fit.

Yep, they're both centers so it'd be a weird center duo since...Sabonis and Myles Turner. If they really want to be the next Indy, then by all means
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#34 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat May 21, 2022 1:59 pm

Yeah, by all accounts the Sabonis/Turner fit was a bad one and held back Indy, leading to the Sabonis trade. Would be a head scratcher to see Sacramento go down the same road (and with a much worse offensive fit considering Gobert being nowhere near the shooter Turner).
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 307

Post#35 » by King Bugs » Sat May 21, 2022 5:24 pm

bstein14 wrote:The Kings reportedly have a "playoff mandate" this year which means they are not likely to take Sharpe if he is there IMO. Feels like they are likely to Ivey.

Not saying that they won't because the Kings are the Kings, but it would be insanity. Because they don't need a PG at all. Of course they have De'Aaron Fox who went bonkers after they dealt Haliburton, but they also have Davion Mitchell who quietly had a nice rookie season. In the the 19 games he started he averaged 18/2/7 on 45% shooting and he was great down the stretch when Fox was out for the season. Where is Ivey going to play? He can't start next to Fox because he needs a shooter next to him and Davion has earned a bigger role.

But again the Kings are the Kings, so we'll see in June I guess.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#36 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon May 23, 2022 2:55 pm

If Kings are smart (and they usually aren't) they'll go Murray, IMO.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#37 » by Drwho17 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:57 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Ivey or Murray likely if they keep the pick

I don't see how they get there and keep #5, Sactown would like JG no doubt, but I don't see how the Pistons can swing that for JG straight up, and that's what we want, not a minor swap up. Somehow turn Grant into a extra pick in the lottery this year, I think there may be some suitors on that, Portland/Washington/Charlotte may bite.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#38 » by Snakebites » Mon May 23, 2022 5:04 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:If Kings are smart (and they usually aren't) they'll go Murray, IMO.

More likely they trade it to someone who goes Sharpe or Ivey.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#39 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon May 23, 2022 5:25 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:If Kings are smart (and they usually aren't) they'll go Murray, IMO.

Anyone you think is likely to make that trade up? I've heard us mentioned as a trade up candidate, but if that happens, I have to think it's for Banchero.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#40 » by Snakebites » Mon May 23, 2022 6:07 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Anyone you think is likely to make that trade up? I've heard us mentioned as a trade up candidate, but if that happens, I have to think it's for Banchero.

Truthfully I didn't have anyone in mind, I just read somewhere that they're considered one of the teams likely to trade their pick. I was actually thinking they might trade out.

For me personally I don't see any reason to trade up to 4- that still leaves us out of Pablo/Jabari/Chet range and I don't have a strong enough preference between Murray/Ivey/Sharpe to give up assets to ensure getting one when the other 2 will be available at the pick we already have.

I've come around on pick 5. Obviously I'd have wanted us to move up but I don't think it's a bad draft position at all.

Return to Detroit Pistons