ImageImageImage

Might be time to let go of our championship delusions?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Re: Might be time to let go of our championship delusions? 

Post#61 » by zeebneeb » Fri May 20, 2022 5:42 pm

There is no way the Blazers keep the 7th pick. Its being moved, one way or another. Same.probably goes for several other teams, and now reports are that the Kings are trying to trade out of the 4th pick.

There are moves to be made here this summer. The draft is weak, and teams are more willing to cough up picks for upgrades to their teams.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,869

Post#62 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 20, 2022 5:46 pm

zeebneeb wrote:There is no way the Blazers keep the 7th pick. Its being moved, one way or another. Same.probably goes for several other teams, and now reports are that the Kings are trying to trade out of the 4th pick.

There are moves to be made here this summer. The draft is weak, and teams are more willing to cough up picks for upgrades to their teams.

The trade that makes to much sense is this one

Portland gets- Grant and #13
Charlotte gets- #7
Detroit gets- #15

-Charlotte then gets what they're after in Duren
-Portland gets their vet while still retaining a lottery pick
- Detroit gets a additional lottery pick and doesn't have to pay Grant
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,082

Post#63 » by NYPiston » Fri May 20, 2022 6:07 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Why is Olynyk negative value? What?

A 31 year old who just had the worst season of his career getting paid borderline starter money for 2 more years. Negative contract just like Plumlee, throwing him in a trade decreases the value of the main asset (Grant in this case). You would have a better shot at getting #7 for Grant alone than if you added Olynyk and the chances of that happening are near zero IMO.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#64 » by buzzkilloton » Fri May 20, 2022 7:54 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:There is no way the Blazers keep the 7th pick. Its being moved, one way or another. Same.probably goes for several other teams, and now reports are that the Kings are trying to trade out of the 4th pick.

The trade that makes to much sense is this one

Portland gets- Grant and #13
Charlotte gets- #7
Detroit gets- #15

-Charlotte then gets what they're after in Duren
-Portland gets their vet while still retaining a lottery pick
- Detroit gets a additional lottery pick and doesn't have to pay Grant

Thats nice I'd expect we take some bad salary back in the deal somewhere until next season or something. This would be a huge addition to the team. I know everyone has a couple targets they would like to get at 15.

In this world I take it we draft Keegan if hes on the board. I would much prefer a guard but if we can get another pick I can accept it i guess.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#65 » by flow » Fri May 20, 2022 8:00 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:]I wouldn't be to quick to poo-poo that scenario. There is a ton to the speculation, and while I agree it's not going to be just Grant, Portland keeping the #7 pick, and not using it to make them better in Dames dwindling peak, is just not going to happen. That pick is going to be moved, and with as much smoke that is present with Grant to Portland, if Weaver has to throw in that worthless 2nd, and Olynyk, so be it.

Unless of course Portland decides to ship Dame out, but that would only makes sense had they landed in the top three.

Portland is not keeping that pick, and Weaver has the assets to get it from them.

The 2nd is worthless, as you said, and Olynyk has negative value.
When was the last time a team traded a top 10 pick for a rental that wasn't a star? I can't remember it ever having happening.
The time to trade Grant was either last offseason or the past deadline so a team could get two playoff runs with him. Now Weaver would be trading for nickels on the dollar, it would be a trade designed to gain cap space and get a different look on the team, not to maximize value.

This is why I think it's FAR more likely that Grant is extended than traded. Weaver loves him so I don't see him trading him for anything but premium value, which won't be available to him.

How is he not?

He's owed $25 mil over the next two seasons and he's Kelly Olynyk.
Jsindto
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#66 » by Jsindto » Fri May 20, 2022 8:05 pm

flow wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
The 2nd is worthless, as you said, and Olynyk has negative value.
When was the last time a team traded a top 10 pick for a rental that wasn't a star? I can't remember it ever having happening.
The time to trade Grant was either last offseason or the past deadline so a team could get two playoff runs with him. Now Weaver would be trading for nickels on the dollar, it would be a trade designed to gain cap space and get a different look on the team, not to maximize value.

This is why I think it's FAR more likely that Grant is extended than traded. Weaver loves him so I don't see him trading him for anything but premium value, which won't be available to him.

How is he not?

Actually only $16M. Next year is $13M, but his 3rd year is actually only guaranteed at $3M if you release him after next year. So it's essentially an expiring deal.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#67 » by flow » Fri May 20, 2022 8:12 pm

Jsindto wrote:
flow wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Why is Olynyk negative value? What?

How is he not?

Actually only $16M. Next year is $13M, but his 3rd year is actually only guaranteed at $3M if you release him after next year. So it's essentially an expiring deal.

Ok, that makes it better.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#68 » by edmunder_prc » Fri May 20, 2022 11:56 pm

Pelicans pick 8th and they want talent, not youth.

Looking at their roster they dont have a spot for Grant - SF is Ingram, Herb Jones. PF is Zion and Larry Zance Jr. Pelicans need a PG but Hayes probably doesnt move the needle for them.

Would need to be a 3 team trade.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#69 » by bstein14 » Sat May 21, 2022 1:43 am

edmunder_prc wrote:Pelicans pick 8th and they want talent, not youth.

Looking at their roster they dont have a spot for Grant - SF is Ingram, Herb Jones. PF is Zion and Larry Zance Jr. Pelicans need a PG but Hayes probably doesnt move the needle for them.

Would need to be a 3 team trade.

Wizards had a bunch of interest in Grant as well, and they are trying to sell Beal that they are going to be a winner.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#70 » by Manocad » Sat May 21, 2022 8:29 pm

As has been stated it doesn’t have to be an all or nothing proposition. If it were possible to tank tank tank tank boom championship then Philly would have won one already and they haven’t. Part of the process of building a championship team is that you’re likely going to be a #8 seed first. Improve what needs to be improved and maybe the team is a #1 seed and loses in the conference finals or championship finals. Make another improvement and try it again. But other teams are making moves too; there simply is no way to guarantee you can build a championship team.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,062

Post#71 » by MrBigShot » Sun May 22, 2022 6:07 am

The air around the team should be quite positive after the flashes of brilliance Cade showed this season. If you told me 2 years ago we'd get a stud like Cade and a chance to pair him with another top 5 pick I'd be ecstatic.

Winning a championship is hard, but better to aim for the stars and miss than to not try at all.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#72 » by edmunder_prc » Sun May 22, 2022 2:20 pm

How many teams win a championship with their best player as a 2nd year guy? I see ECF being a thing in 2-3 years. This year upcoming is another lotto year.

Trade Grant for picks, even future picks and maybe a younger guy with upside.

Churn guys, develop, wait and see what kind of contracts with be needed for Diallo, Bey, Stewart, Hayes.

Take a guy like Ivey because the potential for an electric player (like a Westbrook, Poole, Donovan Mitchell, Sexton) along with the methodical Cade would be really nice.

Also Ivey looked good running around, playing off ball, because the defense has to be accountable for him or its an easy back door dunk. That confusion would work well with Cade because he is smart enough to take advantage of that chaos.

Surround those two with Bey (hopefully better shooting) and a PF that can shoot.

Return to Detroit Pistons