Keegan Murray

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Re: Keegan Murray 

Post#141 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:53 am

Jsindto wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Unless Banchero drops. I think there's a world in which it happens.

Drops to 5? I see no world where that happens. I can see you thinking that SAC wouldn't want him because of Sabonis, but if it's Paolo at 4 instead of Ivey, that will be INCREDIBLY easy to trade that pick. So if Weaver wants him, he'd have to give up Grant at a minimum, if not more.

If you tell me that Grant and 5 nets you Paolo, I probably do that. I wouldn't for Ivey, but would for one of the big men if they fall to 4.

Depends. If two teams ahead of us fall in love with any combination of Ivey, Sharpe, and Murray, one of the top three will drop.
Jsindto
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#142 » by Jsindto » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:32 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Jsindto wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Unless Banchero drops. I think there's a world in which it happens.

Drops to 5? I see no world where that happens. I can see you thinking that SAC wouldn't want him because of Sabonis, but if it's Paolo at 4 instead of Ivey, that will be INCREDIBLY easy to trade that pick. So if Weaver wants him, he'd have to give up Grant at a minimum, if not more.

If you tell me that Grant and 5 nets you Paolo, I probably do that. I wouldn't for Ivey, but would for one of the big men if they fall to 4.

Depends. If two teams ahead of us fall in love with any combination of Ivey, Sharpe, and Murray, one of the top three will drop.

Everything that I've read is that Sharpe has looked solid, but not otherworldly in workouts. And if he was roughly #6/7 before, he's closer to #10 than top 4. So I don't see him going top 4.

I also can't see Murray going over a top 3 PF. Could he go #4 to SAC for fit? Maybe. But I don't see any world where he goes ahead of Chet/Paolo/Jabari. Unless there are medical red flags on Chet, in which case the Pistons may not take him either.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#143 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:40 am

Unexpected stuff happens in the draft every year. I wouldn't predict one of the top three falls down to five, but I can't rule it out either.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#144 » by Pharaoh » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:42 am

zeebneeb wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Personally don't see Murray as 2 or a small ball 5.

Think he'll spend the vast majority of his time at the 3/4 and Bey will slide to the 2 at times.

That said I still want Daniels based on the stuff I've seen. He's a big 3/2 with playmaking abilities and we need all the playmakers we can get on the floor IMO

Then again we don't play the way I'd prefer so maybe Murray is the better selection

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
What way would you prefer the Pistons to play? With set plays, and actual coaching?

Good luck with that.
Absolutely

I'd prefer a lot more movement off the ball, more of a read and react kind of offense as we've seen what happens to the star in a heliocentric system over a long playoff series.

Partly why I'm high on Daniels - assuming his shooting has improved.

Also why Mathurin is rising in my mind as we get closer to the Draft.

Murray, Ivey, Daniels, Mathurin...all likely to be capable pro's but with the way I'd like to see us play eventually 2 of those guys seem like better fits alongside Cade

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#145 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:01 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Jsindto wrote:

I would think it would have to be both Ivey and Sharpe. While I personally don't think there's a huge gap between Murray and the top 3 big men, I still think there's a gap and can't see a team taking Murray and passing on Smith, Holmgren or Banchero. Meaning Ivey and Sharpe would have to go 3/4 because I don't see any way in hell one of them goes 1 or 2.

If something crazy happens and Paolo falls to 4 and Grant+5 will get him, yeah, do it. You've got Grant's replacement who you never expected to get and you move Grant in a single stroke. Done.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#146 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:42 pm

It wouldn't shock me one bit if OKC goes off script with pick #2 and grabs someone other than the consensus top three.
Jsindto
Sophomore

Post#147 » by Jsindto » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:It wouldn't shock me one bit if OKC goes off script with pick #2 and grabs someone other than the consensus top three.

I agree with that possibility. It's just the other half that I can't see. And that's either Sharpe or Murray going before the predraft top 3 guys.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#148 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:03 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:It wouldn't shock me one bit if OKC goes off script with pick #2 and grabs someone other than the consensus top three.

If they've got any brains they'd be looking to trade down then, I would think. It seems the consensus 4-6 is some combination of Ivey/Sharpe/Murray/Mathurin/Daniels and I don't think anyone would project any of those guys to go #2 based on comparable value to the Big 3.

But if they're in love with Ivey for example and no one is willing to trade up, who knows?
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#149 » by Spider156 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:09 pm

My draft guess order is
Jabari
Ivey
Paolo
Murray
Chet
Sharpe
Defense wins championships
Manocad
RealGM

Post#150 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:32 pm

Spider156 wrote:My draft guess order is
Jabari
Ivey
Paolo
Murray
Chet
Sharpe

I'd be thrilled with that outcome if Grant could be moved for another first round pick to get a shooting guard.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#151 » by zeebneeb » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:51 pm

Jabari
Ivey
Paolo
Murray
Chet
Sharpe
If Chet falls to 5(and no one tried to trade up to 4)and the Pistons somehow land him, ill have a stroke.

No way in hell it'll happen. No way, no how.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#152 » by TPA » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:31 pm

The Athletic's Sam Vecenie: "...I think there’s a pretty real chance we all look back in three years and wonder how Murray wasn’t the obvious National Player of the Year in the country this season. He just posted one of the most productive seasons in college basketball history in terms of volume combined with efficiency. He averaged 24 points and nine rebounds while shooting 55 percent from the field, 40 percent from 3, and 75 percent from the line. Think about that: he took five 3s per game and still shot 55 percent from the field. That’s really good! He also averaged 3.2 steals plus blocks per game as an active help-side defender. There aren’t really any statistical precedents for Murray doing what he did at the high-major level on that volume of 3s."
Jsindto
Sophomore

Post#153 » by Jsindto » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:44 pm

Manocad wrote:
Jabari
Ivey
Paolo
Murray
Chet
Sharpe

I'd be thrilled with outcome if Grant could be moved for another first round pick to get a shooting guard.

I would be on board for a Grant for Ayton trade, but I don't know how a Chet/Ayton frontcourt works. Maybe fine offensively, but potentially clunky defensively? Maybe just fine too. I'd probably be more open to rolling with a Chet/Stewart frontcourt and use Grant to help acquire a wing in the draft.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#154 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:54 pm

Jsindto wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Jabari
Ivey
Paolo
Murray
Chet
Sharpe

I'd be thrilled with outcome if Grant could be moved for another first round pick to get a shooting guard.

I would be on board for a Grant for Ayton trade, but I don't know how a Chet/Ayton frontcourt works. Maybe fine offensively, but potentially clunky defensively? Maybe just fine too. I'd probably be more open to rolling with a Chet/Stewart frontcourt and use Grant to help acquire a wing in the draft.

I think Chet at the 4 and Ayton at the 5 would work just fine. Chet is a more inside/out player and Ayton operates pretty much only in the paint and mid range. Bey at the 3, pick up a decent SG, and away you go.

I can't imagine Chet falling to 5. I would think either the Pistons would actively try to trade up or Sacramento would actively try to trade down, assuming they didn't want him anyway. Or who knows; in that scenario maybe Sacramento really wants Murray/Ivey/whomever for example, tries to bluff into getting Weaver to trade up for Chet, and Weaver calls their bluff and says "You want him? Take him. And we'll take Murray (or Ivey or whomever)." And Sacramento takes Murray/Ivey/whomever (the player they actually want) and Chet falls to the Pistons at 5 for nothing. But I don't see that happening.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#155 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:05 pm

TPA wrote:The Athletic's Sam Vecenie: "...I think there’s a pretty real chance we all look back in three years and wonder how Murray wasn’t the obvious National Player of the Year in the country this season. He just posted one of the most productive seasons in college basketball history in terms of volume combined with efficiency. He averaged 24 points and nine rebounds while shooting 55 percent from the field, 40 percent from 3, and 75 percent from the line. Think about that: he took five 3s per game and still shot 55 percent from the field. That’s really good! He also averaged 3.2 steals plus blocks per game as an active help-side defender. There aren’t really any statistical precedents for Murray doing what he did at the high-major level on that volume of 3s."

Makes sense to me.
Homelander87
Junior
And1: 71

Post#156 » by Homelander87 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:53 pm

bstein14 wrote:
Homelander87 wrote:Murray is absolutely a 3. Too slow for the 2 and too small for the 4 or 5

Murray is slightly bigger than Bey, who played the 4 a lot this season when Grant was down. Some people here actually think Bey's best NBA position is PF. Murray also got about twice as many rebounds per minute as Bey when comparing their sophomore seasons.

I'd be pretty surprised, in a league continuing to go smaller and smaller... if Murray doesn't play a fair bit of PF in his career in the NBA.

And the Pistons were also one of the worst teams in the NBA. Saddiq Bey should never be playing the 4. I like my 4s to be around 6’9 or 6’10.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#157 » by Manocad » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:02 pm

Homelander87 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Homelander87 wrote:Murray is absolutely a 3. Too slow for the 2 and too small for the 4 or 5

Murray is slightly bigger than Bey, who played the 4 a lot this season when Grant was down. Some people here actually think Bey's best NBA position is PF. Murray also got about twice as many rebounds per minute as Bey when comparing their sophomore seasons.

I'd be pretty surprised, in a league continuing to go smaller and smaller... if Murray doesn't play a fair bit of PF in his career in the NBA.

And the Pistons were also one of the worst teams in the NBA. Saddiq Bey should never be playing the 4. I like my 4s to be around 6’9 or 6’10.

Draymond Green seems to do ok

Return to Detroit Pistons