ImageImageImage

What's your worst case for us in the off-season?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

What's your worst case for us in the off-season? 

Post#1 » by coolness » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:36 am

Draft, Free Agency and maybe trades if it makes sense

Mine is
1. Extend J.Grant
2. Draft K.Murray
3. Sign C.Sexton and M.Robinson (I think we would have to create a little more cap to get both, but that should be doable)

Not sure this deserves a thread, but ______.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: What's your worst case for us in the off-season? 

Post#2 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:05 am

Worst case?

Draft someone that busts big time! For all the hate Hayes gets on here at least he can defend and pass. If we draft someone who can't make the rotation on a good team it's a wasted pick.

Sign some random KO/Plumlee level free agent just to spend money on someone. The goal should be to become a perennial playoff team not look for quick fixes just to return to "respectability". That's death to me.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#3 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:44 am

Trading for Ayton and drafting Murray is my worst case
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#4 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:29 am

Trying to win now by extending Grant to a big money deal instead of trading him for a pick.

Cade is not going to be ready next year to win the ECF, so no reason to be so hasty.

Also drafting another Killian Hayes with our top pick - that would set the team back badly.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:30 am

For me the biggest thing this comes down to is still the draft pick. I don’t see us making signings that damage us long term as much as whiffing on this pick would.

And that won’t be apparent in the offseason, but rather later. We’re still in the long game here.

I think my worst case probably involves extending Grant though.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#6 » by dVs33 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:39 am

If we trade any of our young guys (Stewart, bey, Hayes, Cade) to sign ayton. I’m not on the ayton bandwagon, but if we sign him outright, so be it. If we do a S&T involving any of those guys I won’t be happy.
The draft pick is the big one, but I trust weaver with whoever. I’ll just complain later if he misses haha
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:11 am

Definitely drafting a bust with a top 5 pick. A entire wasted year and have nothing to show for it :noway:
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#8 » by Southern Piston » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:19 am

Mitchell Robinson
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#9 » by BDM22 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:11 am

Trading Cade Cunningham for cash considerations.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,048

Post#10 » by bstein14 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:17 pm

1. Not work out an extension with Grant, and have him get an even bigger next year after a great 22-23 season.
2. Draft Sharpe.
3. Miss out on signing a good young FA (25 or younger) and spending our money on an older player.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#11 » by DBC10 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:31 pm

There's a potential where we clearly outbid ourselves on Grant's extension and strike out on FA/RFAs (aka help for Cade) in the next 2 years. So I'll pencil that in as a worst case for now

Followed by whoever we get at 5 and then they bust when looking back at it 4-5 years from now. But 5 years is a long time in NBA years with so much that can change, not even sure that's even a worse case scenario
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#12 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:32 pm

Trading the #5 pick and Bey for a veteran like Gobert.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#13 » by chrbal » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:29 pm

Basically just rush the plan. So no adding of expensive shooters because they are available; Bertans, Hield, Robinson, etc. Also don’t add a guy like Gobert just because he’s available.

If we can outright sign Ayton, cool. If we have to give up assets, pass.

Trade down in the draft for a fair return. If we trade down from 5, I want a “how did weaver pull that off” return.

And can we please not sign the former lottery pick who might figure it out this year (Jackson, Lyles, Okafor). Because one of the most obvious examples of that is Kevin Knox, and I just don’t think he has the mindset to be successful in the NBA.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,048

Post#14 » by bstein14 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:47 pm

Westbrook + 2027 unprotected for Grant, Olynyk + CoJo wouldn't be the worst. He is a large expiring contract, and if we're going to to decide to go "all-in" next summer in free agency instead it just pushes things back for us for a year.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#15 » by chrbal » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:12 pm

bstein14 wrote:Westbrook + 2027 unprotected for Grant, Olynyk + CoJo wouldn't be the worst. He is a large expiring contract, and if we're going to to decide to go "all-in" next summer in free agency instead it just pushes things back for us for a year.

Do you honestly think Westbrook plays within the system of Detroit after what happened last season and with 22/23 being a contract year?

I think he’d play mostly for himself as well as taking away some of cades responsibilities.

His free throw percentage has dipped below 75% over the last 5 seasons, which is not ideal considering the amount of responsibility he would have in the offense. His assist to turnover hasn’t been that great, as well as never being much of a 3 point shooter.

For Westbrook to even be effective here, you’d have to have him come off the bench. A $47 million player in a contract year coming off the bench. I can’t see him going for that.

And also, even if he does pretty good you’re now talking about and extension for a guy who will be 34 years old after the season. THAT’S your best case scenario with acquiring him.
coolness
Analyst

Post#16 » by coolness » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:02 pm

Wouldn't we just buy out GOATbrook, as he expires and let him ring-chase? Possibly with LAL?

I'd say it's worst case if THT is coming back in the deal.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#17 » by flow » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:03 pm

bstein14 wrote:Westbrook + 2027 unprotected for Grant, Olynyk + CoJo wouldn't be the worst. He is a large expiring contract, and if we're going to to decide to go "all-in" next summer in free agency instead it just pushes things back for us for a year.

I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't do it. You don't interrupt the momentum of a rebuild by acquiring someone like Westbrook. Even for just a year.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#18 » by kpt » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:26 pm

1. Sign Robinson - don’t like his game/ injury history for our roster
2. Extend Grant and draft Murray (too many redundancies)
3. Extend Casey again (I know this won’t happen)
chrbal
RealGM

Post#19 » by chrbal » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:35 pm

coolness wrote:Wouldn't we just buy out GOATbrook, as he expires and let him ring-chase? Possibly with LAL?

Different people are going to have different worst cases. I just don’t see weaver buying out Westbrook if we acquire him.

The rockets aren’t even willing to acquire him for Wall without picks coming back. Wall sat out this season. We don’t have enough bad active contracts to make it worth taking on his expiring contract. The Lakers aren’t going to give up unprotected picks (unless they are seconds) to unload Westbrook. Let some other team take him on.

I think Westbrook was a great player, I just think the negatives would outweigh any positive he could bring.
coolness
Analyst

Post#20 » by coolness » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:39 pm

chrbal wrote:
coolness wrote:Wouldn't we just buy out GOATbrook, as he expires and let him ring-chase? Possibly with LAL?

Different people are going to have different worst cases. I just don’t see weaver buying out Westbrook if we acquire him.

The rockets aren’t even willing to acquire him for Wall without picks coming back. Wall sat out this season. We don’t have enough bad active contracts to make it worth taking on his expiring contract. The Lakers aren’t going to give up unprotected picks (unless they are seconds) to unload Westbrook. Let some other team take him on.

I think Westbrook was a great player, I just think the negatives would outweigh any positive he could bring.

And I wouldn't want the LAL unprotected 1st in most cases, because LAL ends up with great teams so often.

Return to Detroit Pistons