ImageImageImage

What's your worst case for us in the off-season?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Re: What's your worst case for us in the off-season? 

Post#101 » by DBC10 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:06 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:I wasn't on this forum at the time, but was on another one, and I remember Winslow being popular during the Stanley Johnson draft, but not Booker.

I also remember Brandon Knight being touted as a steal and a great pick for us.

I was split between Winslow and Booker, but Winslow won out in the end just due to his measurables and his shooting in college (which never really translated in the NBA surprisngly)

So when he fell and we didn't draft him, that was a head scratcher to say the least. Johnson had overrated athleticism considering he wasn't vertically insane nor that great with a first step with meh handles. All he had was his upper strength which he never quite figured out how to use in a basketball setting

Not picking Booker when he wanted to play for us and had great workouts with us will forever sting. Same exact story with D. Mitchell too, I really wanted Donovan at the time
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#102 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:45 pm

JerseyJungle wrote:the board did vote for Stanley Johnson too, but there was plenty of Booker fans. I remember personally really wanting Winslow- viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1390043

Wow - did Stanley Johnson really have 43 votes to Devin Booker's 5????? Those five people are really vocal now, aren't they?

Not really. It's a crap shoot to a certain degree; if you want to holler about how you got it "right" and the team got it "wrong," then you'd better be criticizing yourself for not wanting every player available in every draft who turned out better than your preferred draft pick.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#103 » by bstein14 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:21 pm

The Wiretap headline of "Pistons interested in Dennis Schroeder as alternative to Jalen Brunson" .... pretty sad to see. Schroeder has a bit of Reggie Jackson in him, and perhaps he's been humbled to the point of possibly being a good scoring guard off the bench for us to pair with Hayes... but also very possible even at 2 years $10 million <<with 2nd year being a TEAM option>> that he'd be a bad pickup for us and a bad locker room guy. I'd be surprised for sure if we added him, but on the other hand we do need scoring, especially off the bench next to Hayes who doesn't provide much in that area.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#104 » by Drwho17 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:00 pm

Manocad wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:I wasn't on this forum at the time, but was on another one, and I remember Winslow being popular during the Stanley Johnson draft, but not Booker.

Yeah, the OP in that thread even posted that he didn't include Winslow in the choices because he expected him to be gone before the Pistons picked. I wanted Booker so maybe that's why I remembered him as being more popular than the poll indicated.

It was between Winslow and Johnson, Winslow most had mocked higher than Johnson and Winslow won the national championship leading Duke. I think people were surprised with the Johnson pick over Winslow, but gave the organization the benefit of the doubt at the time, in retrospect Winslow has been nearly as big a bust as SJ.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#105 » by rmfc » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:35 pm

Drwho17 wrote:
Manocad wrote:

Yeah, the OP in that thread even posted that he didn't include Winslow in the choices because he expected him to be gone before the Pistons picked. I wanted Booker so maybe that's why I remembered him as being more popular than the poll indicated.

It was between Winslow and Johnson, Winslow most had mocked higher than Johnson and Winslow won the national championship leading Duke. I think people were surprised with the Johnson pick over Winslow, but gave the organization the benefit of the doubt at the time, in retrospect Winslow has been nearly as big a bust as SJ.

This is exactly what I remember, too.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#106 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:36 pm

bstein14 wrote:The Wiretap headline of "Pistons interested in Dennis Schroeder as alternative to Jalen Brunson" .... pretty sad to see. Schroeder has a bit of Reggie Jackson in him, and perhaps he's been humbled to the point of possibly being a good scoring guard off the bench for us to pair with Hayes... but also very possible even at 2 years $10 million <<with 2nd year being a TEAM option>> that he'd be a bad pickup for us and a bad locker room guy. I'd be surprised for sure if we added him, but on the other hand we do need scoring, especially off the bench next to Hayes who doesn't provide much in that area.

:jawdrop:
JerseyJungle
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#107 » by JerseyJungle » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:13 pm

Manocad wrote:
JerseyJungle wrote:the board did vote for Stanley Johnson too, but there was plenty of Booker fans. I remember personally really wanting Winslow- viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1390043

Wow - did Stanley Johnson really have 43 votes to Devin Booker's 5????? Those five people are really vocal now, aren't they?

Not really. It's a crap shoot to a certain degree; if you want to holler about how you got it "right" and the team got it "wrong," then you'd better be criticizing yourself for not wanting every player available in every draft who turned out better than your preferred draft pick.

Of course its a crap shoot to a certain degree... if the draft didn't have an element of chance, it would be pretty boring.

I didn't say I got it "right" and the team got it "wrong". I did little research for that particular draft and was OK with the SJ pick.

I simply pointed out an objective post from the past had it 43-5 for Stanley Johnson vs. Devin Booker. Yet I personally hear from alot of people who criticize the SJ pick because Booker was available. Yeah, I find that strange.

It can only lead you to two places: (a) people don't remember the truth or (b) the few people who really wanted Booker are always posting about it. I could see (b) occurring to an extent, but I'm betting there's some (a) in there as well.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#108 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:25 pm

JerseyJungle wrote:
Manocad wrote:

Of course its a crap shoot to a certain degree... if the draft didn't have an element of chance, it would be pretty boring.

I didn't say I got it "right" and the team got it "wrong". I did little research for that particular draft and was OK with the SJ pick.

I simply pointed out an objective post from the past had it 43-5 for Stanley Johnson vs. Devin Booker. Yet I personally hear from alot of people who criticize the SJ pick because Booker was available. Yeah, I find that strange.

It can only lead you to two places: (a) people don't remember the truth or (b) the few people who really wanted Booker are always posting about it. I could see (b) occurring to an extent, but I'm betting there's some (a) in there as well.

I don't mean "you" as in you, I mean "you" in the rhetorical/general sense, i.e. "someone who wants to crow about a draft pick turning out better than the player the team took."

I voted for Booker and I don't say diddly about it. Hence my point.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,686

Post#109 » by zeebneeb » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:33 pm

bstein14 wrote:The Wiretap headline of "Pistons interested in Dennis Schroeder as alternative to Jalen Brunson" .... pretty sad to see. Schroeder has a bit of Reggie Jackson in him, and perhaps he's been humbled to the point of possibly being a good scoring guard off the bench for us to pair with Hayes... but also very possible even at 2 years $10 million <<with 2nd year being a TEAM option>> that he'd be a bad pickup for us and a bad locker room guy. I'd be surprised for sure if we added him, but on the other hand we do need scoring, especially off the bench next to Hayes who doesn't provide much in that area.
"Stein also confirms that the Pistons continue to be linked to free agent center Mitchell Robinson and have “very strong interest” in re-signing former No. 2 overall pick Marvin Bagley III."

None of this surprises me, and fits the narrative that Weaver laid out, about getting better.

I honestly believe that the Pistons really want Ayton, but are unwilling to either pay Ayton a max salary, or engage with PHX about a sign and trade, hence the link to Robinson. PHX already views Ayton as replaceable, without a drop-off, for much less money, so it makes sense that maybe Weaver feels the same way.

It's really starting to feel like one of two scenarios are going to play out here;

Pick is Murray. Robinson signed, Schroeder signed, Bagley resigned, Grant moved.

Pick is Ivey. Robinson signed, Bagley resigned, Grant kept.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#110 » by flow » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:46 pm

JerseyJungle wrote:
Manocad wrote:

There's also (c), which is, Regardless of who a poster may have voted for, he's not precluded from complaining about the pick years later. He's not paid $5 mil annually to figure it out & get it right. The GM is.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#111 » by mattao313 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:54 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
"Stein also confirms that the Pistons continue to be linked to free agent center Mitchell Robinson and have “very strong interest” in re-signing former No. 2 overall pick Marvin Bagley III."

None of this surprises me, and fits the narrative that Weaver laid out, about getting better.

I honestly believe that the Pistons really want Ayton, but are unwilling to either pay Ayton a max salary, or engage with PHX about a sign and trade, hence the link to Robinson. PHX already views Ayton as replaceable, without a drop-off, for much less money, so it makes sense that maybe Weaver feels the same way.

It's really starting to feel like one of two scenarios are going to play out here;

Pick is Murray. Robinson signed, Schroeder signed, Bagley resigned, Grant moved.

Another question is what happens to Stewart. If Mitchell and Bagley are here he seems like the odd man out.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#112 » by zeebneeb » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:58 pm

mattao313 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

Another question is what happens to Stewart. If Mitchell and Bagley are here he seems like the odd man out.

Good question. Stewart frustrates me, so I'd rather trade him. His passion, and physicality are absolutely top notch, everything I want in a C/F, but his insanely limited athleticism,(specifically leaping ability)stunts Cades playmaking by being unable to catch a lob over 3inches.

I am still shocked at how ground bound Stewart is, with as fast, and how well he moves his feet on defense.

I can't remember ever seeing a player like this before. Fast, strong, excellent side to side movement, leaps like a stone.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#113 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:01 pm

flow wrote:
JerseyJungle wrote:
Manocad wrote:Not really. It's a crap shoot to a certain degree; if you want to holler about how you got it "right" and the team got it "wrong," then you'd better be criticizing yourself for not wanting every player available in every draft who turned out better than your preferred draft pick.

There's also (c), which is, Regardless of who a poster may have voted for, he's not precluded from complaining about the pick years later. He's not paid $5 mil annually to figure it out & get it right. The GM is.

Or course not, as long as they criticize themselves just as loudly about the picks they didn't get right and the team did. That's exactly my point.

The fact that none of us are paid $5 million a year to get it right only means our opinions don't count for s**t. That in no way is an "out," i.e. "I'm smarter than the GM when I get it right and if I don't, oh well--it's not my job to get it right."
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#114 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:02 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:"Stein also confirms that the Pistons continue to be linked to free agent center Mitchell Robinson and have “very strong interest” in re-signing former No. 2 overall pick Marvin Bagley III."

Good question. Stewart frustrates me, so I'd rather trade him. His passion, and physicality are absolutely top notch, everything I want in a C/F, but his insanely limited athleticism,(specifically leaping ability)stunts Cades playmaking by being unable to catch a lob over 3inches.

I am still shocked at how ground bound Stewart is, with as fast, and how well he moves his feet on defense.

I can't remember ever seeing a player like this before. Fast, strong, excellent side to side movement, leaps like a stone.

I think he's made for that off the bench bring cone in with energy and hustle role. I want to keep him around.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#115 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:03 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:"Stein also confirms that the Pistons continue to be linked to free agent center Mitchell Robinson and have “very strong interest” in re-signing former No. 2 overall pick Marvin Bagley III."

Stew actually isn't a bad leaper at all. He just can't seem to get off his feet in a crowd.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#116 » by mattao313 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:03 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

Lmao yeah I'm in the same boat as you on Stewart s very limited player.

Championships
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#117 » by DBC10 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:03 pm

zeebneeb wrote:

And I wouldn't be bothered by the fact that the only moves we made are the 5 pick, get an actual backup/almost starting caliber center and an actual back up PG not named Cojo. That's enough to squeeze a few more games than last year with some room for more

It's nothing flashy but I'm of the opinion that the rebuild actually started the moment we drafted Cade, every one else is a auxiliary piece that can either hope to grow with him or asset accumulation to cash out on a future more ready player. So we got some time considering this is coming up on year 2 of the Cade era
Manocad
RealGM

Post#118 » by Manocad » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:04 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Another question is what happens to Stewart. If Mitchell and Bagley are here he seems like the odd man out.

I think he's made for that off the bench bring cone in with energy and hustle role. I want to keep him around.

That's what I'd do. Pair him up with Bagley on the bench.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#119 » by zeebneeb » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:06 pm

Manocad wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Another question is what happens to Stewart. If Mitchell and Bagley are here he seems like the odd man out.

Stew actually isn't a bad leaper at all. He just can't seem to get off his feet in a crowd.
Wouldn't that make him a bad leaper? He's at the Center spot, so he's always gonna be in a crows. Besides that, how many times did we see Cade throw what should have been a lob, only turn into a turnover, or some wierd catch, bring it down, layup or lose the ball deal?

Stewie really needs to work on his leaping ability. If he could get a few more inches, and jump in a crowd, he'd be perfect. Not to mention him having the ability to shoot a three as well.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#120 » by bstein14 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:10 pm

Stewart's 2020 pre-draft vertical measurements were actually very good for the center position. I'm sure he's added a bit of bulk up top since then, but he isn't a bad leaper for a center. 29 inch standing vertical and 35 inch max vertical are decent for a big man.

Return to Detroit Pistons