ImageImageImage

The Grant Situation

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,941

The Grant Situation 

Post#1 » by tmorgan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 am

Well, we’re at a minor organizational crossroads here.

It doesn’t look like Jerami Grant has a whole lot of trade value around the league, if you believe the rumors and failed deals and whatnot. I certainly can’t vouch for any of the sources, but If Wood is worth 27 and slop, and Atlanta doesn’t want to deal an injured player (Bogi) and 16, then it looks like Grant’s pick value is no better than 20-22, which pretty much sucks.

We know Grant well around here. Very good defender if he has the energy leftover from offense. Solid shooter, good finisher. Not a fan of contact, not a good rebounder, especially if he’s the nominal power forward. Not a natural passer or shot creator for others. Great length, can be disruptive on defense, good hands. Overall, a good player — not an all-star level talent, but certainly a good starter and potential 3rd-4th option on a playoff team.

The thing is, we made him a first option for a year, and kept him as a second option as Cade pushed his way up the pecking order. With that many shots and that much responsibility, his defense suffered and his offense became less efficient. Now he’s a year away from the end of his deal and very likely wants an extension in the 25-30 a year range.

He’s not worth that money, particularly to Detroit. We’re still likely two years away from any real contention, and an average-at-best efficiency second or third option that will be 30 when we’re good is poor use of resources. So, what do we do?

Trade him right now for anything we can get? — looks like the return will be disappointing
Re-sign him to a deal he’ll be happy with? — seems like a poor idea, as I discussed above
Look for a deadline deal this year? —might be wise to hold off right now, I can see this
Let him walk for nothing at the end of the season? — would be annoying, but might be the play given the options
Jsindto
Sophomore
And1: 114

Re: The Grant Situation 

Post#2 » by Jsindto » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:20 am

If you can't get good return for him (let's say like pick #10-#14), but he can be used as a primary piece to make moves others may not like such as getting Ayton of even if flipping to move up to #4, I'd do it.

Problem with flipping to get #4 is that they can't do that trade without first selecting the player before trading him because they owe a future first to OKC. So if Ivey is at #4, maybe Grant gets you to #4. But from what I've seen, Weaver may prefer Murray over Ivey. So he wouldn't do that. But if the 5-10% happens and Ivey goes top 3, Grant won't get you to #4 IMO. The demand would probably be too rich. So I really don't see a world where the Pistons trade to #4.

So if it's A) using Grant to get Ayton (if not much else to get him), B) using Grant to get the #22 pick, or C) extending him for 4 for $100M, I'd move him to get Ayton. Unless a top 3 PF fell to #4 and SAC is dumber than a bag of bricks and they'd take #5 and Grant for #4.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:24 am

Spurs need a PF, have cap space, picks #20 and #25. Ill take either pick at this point
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#4 » by vege » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:25 am

When we were trying to win, around the all star break, Cade/Bey and Grant were averaging 20 points per game and playing very well together.

Grant max contract can't go up to 30 million per season, his absolutely max is 28 million. He would probably sign a 4 years 100 million contract, which is fair imo for an above average starter with a desirable skillset, the cap will go up, the salaries will go up. He is worth that money imo.

So you keep him. Period. We are not getting Jabari Smith or Paolo Banchero, and they were the only guys that would absolutely force us to trade Grant imo.

If we draft Ivey or Sharpe (it will take a couple of years for him to do anything but whatever), all we need is a starter center and we're set. Cade/Ivey(Sharpe)/Bey/Grant is a great core and very exciting.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#5 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:30 am

vege wrote:When we were trying to win, around the all star break, Cade/Bey and Grant were averaging 20 points per game and playing very well together.

Grant max contract can't go up to 30 million per season, his absolutely max is 28 million. He would probably sign a 4 years 100 million contract, which is fair imo for an above average starter with a desirable skillset, the cap will go up, the salaries will go up. He is worth that money imo.

So you keep him. Period. We are not getting Jabari Smith or Paolo Banchero, and they were the only guys that would absolutely force us to trade Grant imo.

If we draft Ivey or Sharpe (it will take a couple of years for him to do anything but whatever), all we need is a starter center and we're set. Cade/Ivey(Sharpe)/Bey/Grant is a great core and very exciting.

If all else fails in finding any offers for him and he would sign for a 4/90 type of deal then i wouldnt be to upset. He still plays a valuable position these days.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#6 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:34 am

I posted this in the free agency thread as well but it fits here even as well

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/hawks-rumors-collins-capela-grant-bogdanovic.html

"After writing a couple weeks ago that the Hawks continued to exhibit interest in Pistons forward Jerami Grant, Stein clarifies that it was actually Detroit that showed more interest in a hypothetical deal that would involve Grant, the Hawks’ No. 16 overall pick, and Bogdan Bogdanovic, while Atlanta was less enthusiastic about the idea. It’s not clear how Bogdanovic’s recent knee surgery might affect the Pistons’ interest in such a trade or the Hawks’ ability to move him, Stein writes."
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#7 » by El Chivo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:34 am

75 x 3 and call it a day.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,941

Post#8 » by tmorgan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:38 am

If he’d sign for 4/100 with the understanding that there won’t be a NTC and that getting traded sooner rather than later is a real possibility, i could live with that.

But he absolutely does need to play the way he did in the second half of last season, not the first half. This is Cade’s team now, and I’d definitely have that discussion with him if I were Weaver.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#9 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:51 am

I'm ok with keeping Grant. Hes proven in the past to be a useful player in the postseason. We just have him miscast(which he wanted by the way) as a main option when hes purely a 3nD 4-5th option on a contender.

Draft anyone but Murray since we dont need a forward now. Maybe make one more medium level addition. Go for a likely to fail playin push with the young core and get one more lotto pick and go hard next offseason.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,254

Post#10 » by GreekAlex » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:15 am

Thursday can’t come soon enough.

As much as I want to relax and enjoy the hype surrounding the draft, my curiosity is getting the best of me.

I think Thursday will clear up the direction for a lot of the teams questions.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#11 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:16 am

buzzkilloton wrote:I'm ok with keeping Grant. Hes proven in the past to be a useful player in the postseason. We just have him miscast(which he wanted by the way) as a main option when hes purely a 3nD 4-5th option on a contender.

Draft anyone but Murray since we dont need a forward now. Maybe make one more medium level addition. Go for a likely to fail playin push with the young core and get one more lotto pick and go hard next offseason.
This.

With Mathurin my pick at 5

And Jalen Smith as my free agency signing.

Stewart - Smith
Grant - Bags
Bey - Livers
Mathurin - Diallo
Cade - Hayes

KO, CoJo and FJ as depth for another season and see what we see

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#12 » by mattao313 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:18 am

buzzkilloton wrote:I'm ok with keeping Grant. Hes proven in the past to be a useful player in the postseason. We just have him miscast(which he wanted by the way) as a main option when hes purely a 3nD 4-5th option on a contender.

That's the main problem with him. He can be a really good role player but he's very mediocre if casted more than that. I'd rather just clean my hands of him.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#13 » by vege » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:21 am

tmorgan wrote:If he’d sign for 4/100 with the understanding that there won’t be a NTC and that getting traded sooner rather than later is a real possibility, i could live with that.

But he absolutely does need to play the way he did in the second half of last season, not the first half. This is Cade’s team now, and I’d definitely have that discussion with him if I were Weaver.

You don't need to have that discussion with him, the players already did that. He changed his role after a players only meet, and from that point on, it was clear this was Cade's team, and Grant wasn't disgruntled with that. He was still getting shots and he was putting a lot more effort on defense.

It wasn't a big sample size, since we started tanking at the end, but Cade/Bey and Grant were amazing together, and there's no reason to not believe they will be great together next season, hopefully with 2 legit NBA starters playing with them.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#14 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:46 am

Grant wanted to be here, in Detroit. If he still wants to be here, he's worth more to us than some non-lottery ticket.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#15 » by BDM22 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:03 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:Grant wanted to be here, in Detroit. If he still wants to be here, he's worth more to us than some non-lottery ticket.

I understand what you mean, but I think it depends on his price. The Pistons shouldn't really commit to large long-term contracts quite yet. If you think you can get a guy that's even close to Grant's production (like grabbing Bey at #19), it's a lot better to have a guy on a 4 year rookie scale deal than Grant at 25M+ per year for 3 or 4 years. Gives a lot more flexibility.
El Chivo
Starter

Post#16 » by El Chivo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:26 am

BDM22 wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:Grant wanted to be here, in Detroit. If he still wants to be here, he's worth more to us than some non-lottery ticket.

I understand what you mean, but I think it depends on his price. The Pistons shouldn't really commit to large long-term contracts quite yet. If you think you can get a guy that's even close to Grant's production (like grabbing Bey at #19), it's a lot better to have a guy on a 4 year rookie scale deal than Grant at 25M+ per year for 3 or 4 years. Gives a lot more flexibility.

Grant extended at 20/25 per year would be very movable and wouldn't affect flexibility.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Post#17 » by bstein14 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:29 am

If he's still a Piston on Friday morning, he's either staying with us or possibly a piece in a sign-and-trade deal for a restricted FA. That being said, I'm not surprised that Grant is still a Piston in part because he's got just one year left on his deal and wants a 4 year $112 million extension from whoever trades for him.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#18 » by Manocad » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:32 am

beep beep boop. Done.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#19 » by BDM22 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:33 am

El Chivo wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Grant extended at 20/25 per year would be very movable and wouldn't affect flexibility.

I don't know that these 25 per year for 4 years types of deals are the kind that you'll get assets in return if you try to move him. He wants 4 years and 28M per year. I would be a lot more comfortable with something like 70/3.
El Chivo
Starter

Post#20 » by El Chivo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:37 am

BDM22 wrote:
El Chivo wrote:
BDM22 wrote:I understand what you mean, but I think it depends on his price. The Pistons shouldn't really commit to large long-term contracts quite yet. If you think you can get a guy that's even close to Grant's production (like grabbing Bey at #19), it's a lot better to have a guy on a 4 year rookie scale deal than Grant at 25M+ per year for 3 or 4 years. Gives a lot more flexibility.

I don't know that these 25 per year for 4 years types of deals are the kind that you'll get assets in return if you try to move him. He wants 4 years and 28M per year. I would be a lot more comfortable with something like 70/3.

Nobody said he wants 28 per year... his max extension is 28 per year. to be clear, I'd rather trade him for value, but if there's no trade, let's give him a 2/3 year extension at reasonable price.

Return to Detroit Pistons