Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: Your 2023 NBA Prospect 

Post#841 » by mattao313 » Thu May 11, 2023 11:18 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:
whitehops wrote:scoot pretty much has the perfect body type for an nba player that's short. he has a 6'9 wingspan which is great for his size and though his listed weight is 195 i've seen some references to him being 210 which is more what he looks like. having that combination of bulk and low center of gravity can really come in handy defensively (see: marcus smart, kyle lowry).

obviously a lot of defense is instincts and effort too but it's nice to be able to hold up physically.

Seems like every playoff series I hear about players like that being hunted by the opposing offense.
And we have a chicken dinner winner! If Scoot was an actual 6'4 like Ivey is, I would have zero problem with the pick @2. Look at Mitchell, Brunson, Paul, Lillard, the list goes on and on and on. Winning with a tiny guard(and of course I mean a title)is next to impossible, unless your Isiah Thomas.

They get hunted, repeatedly. How you fix this is by having an amazing defense, but in today's league of superficial switching defense, how in the hell do you hide anyone these days?

Maybe Scoot is built different. If he's the pick, ill hope, and hope.
Size definitely is a large factor with defense but I really think Ivey is a terrible example. Bigger guard with athleticism but he is God awful on that end. He makes Reggie Jackson look like a defensive stopper. If Iveys was 6'8 he'd still be bottom of the league.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#842 » by zeebneeb » Thu May 11, 2023 11:56 pm

mattao313 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Seems like every playoff series I hear about players like that being hunted by the opposing offense.
And we have a chicken dinner winner! If Scoot was an actual 6'4 like Ivey is, I would have zero problem with the pick @2. Look at Mitchell, Brunson, Paul, Lillard, the list goes on and on and on. Winning with a tiny guard(and of course I mean a title)is next to impossible, unless your Isiah Thomas.

They get hunted, repeatedly. How you fix this is by having an amazing defense, but in today's league of superficial switching defense, how in the hell do you hide anyone these days?

Size definitely is a large factor with defense but I really think Ivey is a terrible example. Bigger guard with athleticism but he is God awful on that end. He makes Reggie Jackson look like a defensive stopper. If Iveys was 6'8 he'd still be bottom of the league.

I'm just using Iveys size as an example, not Iveys defense.

2 inches, or in Iveys case 2 1/2 inches,(6'4 1/2) makes a huge difference. A bad defender, is a bad defender, no matter the size, but one that's 6'1, or 6'0 is at a huge disadvantage.

Can't teach height.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#843 » by theBigLip » Mon May 15, 2023 2:56 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:And we have a chicken dinner winner! If Scoot was an actual 6'4 like Ivey is, I would have zero problem with the pick @2. Look at Mitchell, Brunson, Paul, Lillard, the list goes on and on and on. Winning with a tiny guard(and of course I mean a title)is next to impossible, unless your Isiah Thomas.

I'm just using Iveys size as an example, not Iveys defense.

2 inches, or in Iveys case 2 1/2 inches,(6'4 1/2) makes a huge difference. A bad defender, is a bad defender, no matter the size, but one that's 6'1, or 6'0 is at a huge disadvantage.

Can't teach height.

It’s really wingspan, which mostly corresponds to height, but the guys w longer arms have an advantage.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#844 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri May 19, 2023 12:37 pm

Sheppard showed out at the combine proving he can play against high level talent. He’s not even on a lot of mocks, I imagine he shoots up onto most second round mocks now. His shooting and defense would get him into our rotation.

Return to Detroit Pistons