Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: The Race To The Bottom - theBigLip Tank Machine 

Post#281 » by Manocad » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:41 am

mattao313 wrote:
The Moose wrote:
mattao313 wrote:If I'm not mistaken Carmelo said the pistons told him they were going to draft him. So it wasn't set in stone

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app

Read on Twitter
?

straight from Melo, he claims even up until draft day Detroit was telling him they were going to take him.
Even says Larry Brown told him that directly

that being said, I'm not old enough to remember the 2003 draft, but all the content I have found online still archived from 2003 has Melo a clear 3rd to Lebron and Darko
Thanks for posting it. So this talk about darko was set in stone the 2 pick wasn't true. Maybe to the media not the pistons.

So the fact that the Pistons took Darko at #2 counts for less than a rumor that the Pistons told Melo they were taking him?
:lol:
Manocad
RealGM

Post#282 » by Manocad » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:50 am

NYPiston wrote:
Manocad wrote:[
I don't know how old you are but we're not playing elementary school revisionist history here. In that that draft there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Lebron and Darko were going 1 and 2, with some analysts projecting Darko at 1. This is absolutely indisputable.

Not a soul in the universe was picking Darko to go before Lebron outside of the usual suspects trying to be edgy.

With that said, Darko wasn't a reach at 2 but there were certainly some question marks surrounding taking a Euro prospect that high back in those days when the more sure things Carmelo, Wade or Bosh were there to be had.

The point was that there was no doubt that Lebron and Darko were going 1 and 2. And they did. Anyone can spin it however they want but the outcome supports it.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#283 » by mattao313 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:38 am

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
The Moose wrote:
Read on Twitter
?

straight from Melo, he claims even up until draft day Detroit was telling him they were going to take him.
Even says Larry Brown told him that directly

that being said, I'm not old enough to remember the 2003 draft, but all the content I have found online still archived from 2003 has Melo a clear 3rd to Lebron and Darko
Thanks for posting it. So this talk about darko was set in stone the 2 pick wasn't true. Maybe to the media not the pistons.

So the fact that the Pistons took Darko at #2 counts for less than a rumor that the Pistons told Melo they were taking him?
What? Melo literally said they promised him. So obviously it wasn't set in stone that Darko was the only guy at 2. How is that a rumor?

Championships
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#284 » by ducler » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:28 am

Spurs just won another game!
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,754

Post#285 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:47 am

ducler wrote:Spurs just won another game!

Amazing! This is by far the best tank job the Pistons have ever done. Can’t wait for the lottery!
Homelander87
Junior
And1: 71

Post#286 » by Homelander87 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:50 pm

theBigLip wrote:
ducler wrote:Spurs just won another game!

Amazing! This is by far the best tank job the Pistons have ever done. Can’t wait for the lottery!

Feels like at the very least the Pistons have locked up the second worst record after that Spurs win. If there was ever a year to tank hard then this was the year with Cade going down and VW out there.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#287 » by Manocad » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Thanks for posting it. So this talk about darko was set in stone the 2 pick wasn't true. Maybe to the media not the pistons.

What? Melo literally said they promised him. So obviously it wasn't set in stone that Darko was the only guy at 2. How is that a rumor?

Explain again how Melo saying the Pistons had promised to take him at 2 but took Darko instead is evidence that Darko wasn’t going at 2. When does what actually happened NOT count as evidence of what was going to happen?

Again, some of us were there. Lebron and Darko were going 1/2 according to every analyst on the planet.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#288 » by whitehops » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:01 pm

Homelander87 wrote:Feels like at the very least the Pistons have locked up the second worst record after that Spurs win. If there was ever a year to tank hard then this was the year with Cade going down and VW out there.

We’d only have five games left but if we lose to the rockets March 31 then we for sure have the worst record on lock. If we win that game it’s closer but Houston is playing .500 basketball in their last 10 games so the race to the bottom might be over sooner than that game.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#289 » by mattao313 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:35 am

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:So the fact that the Pistons took Darko at #2 counts for less than a rumor that the Pistons told Melo they were taking him?

Explain again how Melo saying the Pistons had promised to take him at 2 but took Darko instead is evidence that Darko wasn’t going at 2. When does what actually happened NOT count as evidence of what was going to happen?

Again, some of us were there. Lebron and Darko were going 1/2 according to every analyst on the planet.

Lol so analyst are more credible than the actual guy in the draft who talks to the team....ok I'm done here.

Championships
Homelander87
Junior
And1: 71

Post#290 » by Homelander87 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:19 am

whitehops wrote:
Homelander87 wrote:Feels like at the very least the Pistons have locked up the second worst record after that Spurs win. If there was ever a year to tank hard then this was the year with Cade going down and VW out there.

We’d only have five games left but if we lose to the rockets March 31 then we for sure have the worst record on lock. If we win that game it’s closer but Houston is playing .500 basketball in their last 10 games so the race to the bottom might be over sooner than that game.

No way the Pistons would lose that game at home but I see it's at Houston which is HUGE.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#291 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:24 pm

I miss the old lotto odds lol
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#292 » by Pharaoh » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:38 am

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:What? Melo literally said they promised him. So obviously it wasn't set in stone that Darko was the only guy at 2. How is that a rumor?

Lol so analyst are more credible than the actual guy in the draft who talks to the team....ok I'm done here.

Melo says the Pistons told him they'd take him #2.

Then we picked Darko.

I'd say the evidence is crystal clear - whatever was said to any prospect was smoke.

Fact we drafted Darko proves it

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#293 » by bstein14 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:05 pm

Dumars himself made comments that part of the reason he took Darko was because he was so high on Prince.... but he also made comments (maybe around 2012 or 2013 I think he was still running the team during this interview) about how if they were doing the things back then in 2003 that they were doing in 2012 he wouldn't have taken Darko because they were doing a lot more thorough evaluations on players and asking 100s of questions to draft picks to getter a better idea of their mental makeup.

One of the questions that was asked was whether you'd want to be a 6th man on a championship winning team or a star player on a lottery team and Carmelo said star on a lottery team and Darko said 6th man on a championship team.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,755

Post#294 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:49 pm

I've long considered Melo to be one of the more overrated players in NBA history. Guy scored a lot of points on mediocre efficiency. There's definitely value in a guy who's able to do that (give most role players the number of shots that Melo had they'd be way less efficient), but Melo was never really very good at anything outside of scoring. Everyone agrees Wade would have been a better pick, but I'd have also preferred Chris Bosh.

That said, not taking him was a huge mistake- not because Melo should be considered some all-time great but because of how awful Darko turned out to be. That pick ensured that we'd experience the decline we did as our core players started to age out.

It's just a mistake I'm a bit tired of relitigating.

Side note in passing: I wonder at which point we "promised" Melo he would be drafted by us. I distinctly remember him refusing to workout with us because it already looked like we were taking Darko.
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#295 » by SuperBad » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:26 pm

Wade definitely would have been the best choice, in my opinion. If we would have drafted Carmelo, he might have been on the court instead of Prince, to block Reggie Miller, and we would have lost out on the championship.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#296 » by bstein14 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:48 pm

SuperBad wrote:Wade definitely would have been the best choice, in my opinion. If we would have drafted Carmelo, he might have been on the court instead of Prince, to block Reggie Miller, and we would have lost out on the championship.

If we drafted Bosh we likely wouldn't have made the all-in push trade for Sheed either... If I could go back I might still take Darko so the 2004 championship plays out exactly like it did... I would just rewind to the summer of 2004 and trade Darko for the best package possible when he likely still had a very high trade value being the youngest player in the league coming off a championship even though he didn't play much... We almost certainly would have beaten the Spurs in 05 if we had a little extra fire power from trading Darko. We also might have been able to trade Darko for just picks and then also have the $$$ available to then keep Okur, who turned into an all-star big in Utah.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#297 » by Manocad » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:53 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:What? Melo literally said they promised him. So obviously it wasn't set in stone that Darko was the only guy at 2. How is that a rumor?

What’s even more credible is who the team took at 2. It wasn’t Melo.

Your whole argument is based on Melo claiming the Pistons promised to take him at 2. But they didn’t. End of story.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#298 » by 440BB » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:21 pm

Seems it's about time to rehash why the Pistons chose Marvin Barnes over Moses Malone in the ABA dispersal draft.
Then there's the Dave DeBusschere trade...
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#299 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:45 am

Snakebites wrote:I've long considered Melo to be one of the more overrated players in NBA history. Guy scored a lot of points on mediocre efficiency. There's definitely value in a guy who's able to do that (give most role players the number of shots that Melo had they'd be way less efficient), but Melo was never really very good at anything outside of scoring. Everyone agrees Wade would have been a better pick, but I'd have also preferred Chris Bosh.

That said, not taking him was a huge mistake- not because Melo should be considered some all-time great but because of how awful Darko turned out to be. That pick ensured that we'd experience the decline we did as our core players started to age out.

Side note in passing: I wonder at which point we "promised" Melo he would be drafted by us. I distinctly remember him refusing to workout with us because it already looked like we were taking Darko.

Melo is a hall of famer. Not sure how he’s overrated. As an individual he’s one of the best scorers ever in his prime. His legacy would be much different if he had a Dirk like supporting cast that propelled him into the finals. If anything, he’s one of the scorers who suffers the most from not having a ring.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,755

Post#300 » by Snakebites » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:00 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I've long considered Melo to be one of the more overrated players in NBA history. Guy scored a lot of points on mediocre efficiency. There's definitely value in a guy who's able to do that (give most role players the number of shots that Melo had they'd be way less efficient), but Melo was never really very good at anything outside of scoring. Everyone agrees Wade would have been a better pick, but I'd have also preferred Chris Bosh.

Melo is a hall of famer. Not sure how he’s overrated. As an individual he’s one of the best scorers ever in his prime. His legacy would be much different if he had a Dirk like supporting cast that propelled him into the finals. If anything, he’s one of the scorers who suffers the most from not having a ring.

I really hope you’re not implying he was as good as Dirk…

Return to Detroit Pistons