Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,725

Re: Pistons coaching odds and general discussion 

Post#541 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Not sold on any of our "finalists" so I can see why there's a difference of opinion in the FO.

Regardless of who gets the nod they need to be focused on individual skills development, professionalism and work ethic

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Whos your pick?

I personally would be fine with Lee. He's new, but he's been under bud since Atlanta, so he's seen it all.
I said Lee after seeing the YouTube clips posted in this thread but the way the Bucks went out gives me pause.

The Bucks choosing Griffin over him might simply be a "move on from Bud and his crew" thing or there could be more to it.

Fact is - as usual - we don't have enough info.

There's pros and cons for all 3 and honestly we don't know who their assistants will be either so idk

Fair enough. My only concern with any of the coaches listed is with Ollie, and its very specific;

He has not worked inside, or been a part of the NBA for 13 years.

That is a HUGE red flag, as the league has changed immensely in said time. Can someone outside looking in make a massive impact? Absolutely, but Ollie played in a different era, so there is going to be an insane adjustment he's going to have to make coming in.

Ollie also hasn't properly coached(college) since 2018. He is a coach for that joke of a league for 16-20 year olds.

I just don't trust him, flat-out. I think it will be a huge mistake. I'll hope for the best, but expect the worst.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,048

Post#542 » by bstein14 » Tue May 30, 2023 7:06 pm

I've read through dozens of articles about coaching firings and hirings and I've seen countless mentions of teams still being on the hook for paying previous coaches salaries but I've never once ever seen a mention that if a coach signs a new deal the amount owed from the previous team would be reduced. That seems highly unlikely. Specifically about Monty there have been a bunch of reports on his firing and how the Suns will still have to pay him $20+ million over the next three years and none of them mention anything about that number being slightly less or less if he takes a new job somewhere else.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#543 » by thesack12 » Tue May 30, 2023 7:40 pm

bstein14 wrote:I've read through dozens of articles about coaching firings and hirings and I've seen countless mentions of teams still being on the hook for paying previous coaches salaries but I've never once ever seen a mention that if a coach signs a new deal the amount owed from the previous team would be reduced. That seems highly unlikely. Specifically about Monty there have been a bunch of reports on his firing and how the Suns will still have to pay him $20+ million over the next three years and none of them mention anything about that number being slightly less or less if he takes a new job somewhere else.

Immediate post firing Reports of still being owed $ by the old team =/= the ability to double dipp if taking a new job.

Specifically on Monty, here is an article on mentioning pros and cons for the Bucks hiring him, none of the pros mention getting him at a out of pocket cost discount because Phoenix owes his money.

https://behindthebuckpass.com/2023/05/21/pros-cons-monty-williams-bucks-head-coach/3/

there there is this quote:

https://sports.yahoo.com/suns-fire-head-coach-monty-williams-after-nba-playoffs-elimination-013546547.html

The firing might not be a cheap one for the Suns either, as Williams signed a pricey contract extension last summer that was set to go into effect in 2024. However, Williams was reported by Yahoo Sports' Jake Fischer to be a potential candidate for the Bucks' coaching vacancy.

Bolded and underlined sure seems to imply there is offset language in play

Read on Twitter

This also would lead you to believe that offset language is a factor as well, as it seems to be implying that Monty's financial sitution would be the same with or without a job next season.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#544 » by coordinator0 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:52 am

Yeah that's a salary cap thing. Coaches are not subject to any part of it. If/when Monty takes another job he's going to get paid a full contract. And still make what Phoenix owes him.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#545 » by thesack12 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:50 am

coordinator0 wrote:Yeah that's a salary cap thing. Coaches are not subject to any part of it. If/when Monty takes another job he's going to get paid a full contract. And still make what Phoenix owes him.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-tom-thibodeau-has-no-regrets-20150811-story.html

The Bulls owe Thibodeau roughly $9 million, which would be offset by the value of any salary he drew if hired by another NBA team.

https://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/28/tom-thibodeau-fired-bulls-pelicans-magic-derrick-rose-jimmy-butler-jerry-reinsdorf

Instead, the Bulls fired Thibodeau outright with only closure and an offset in salary (should Thibodeau take another coaching job next season) to show for it.

Offset language does exist
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#546 » by Pharaoh » Wed May 31, 2023 2:25 am

thesack12 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:Yeah that's a salary cap thing. Coaches are not subject to any part of it. If/when Monty takes another job he's going to get paid a full contract. And still make what Phoenix owes him.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-tom-thibodeau-has-no-regrets-20150811-story.html

The Bulls owe Thibodeau roughly $9 million, which would be offset by the value of any salary he drew if hired by another NBA team.

https://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/28/tom-thibodeau-fired-bulls-pelicans-magic-derrick-rose-jimmy-butler-jerry-reinsdorf

Instead, the Bulls fired Thibodeau outright with only closure and an offset in salary (should Thibodeau take another coaching job next season) to show for it.

Offset language does exist
Would imagine it depends on the terms of the contract and Monty might not have a offset in there due to getting his extension after appearing in the NBA Finals

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#547 » by flow » Wed May 31, 2023 2:51 pm

https://detroitsportsnation.com/larry-brown-jokes-the-detroit-pistons-should-hire-him-again/paultyler/pistons/detroit-pistons-notes/05/30/2023/410218/

“They should hire me!” he said during an appearance on the “Restore the Floor” podcast. “You got all these young players and Cade is like family to me. His brother played for me at SMU, so Cade and his family were at all of our games. We'd play and instead of watching the game, he'd go into the workout room and shoot baskets. I love him to death and he's a high-character kid. I know Stewart well, I went out to Washington when he was there and watched him play. An unbelievably high-character kid.”

100%. We should be so lucky.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#548 » by mattao313 » Wed May 31, 2023 3:11 pm

flow wrote:https://detroitsportsnation.com/larry-brown-jokes-the-detroit-pistons-should-hire-him-again/paultyler/pistons/detroit-pistons-notes/05/30/2023/410218/

“They should hire me!” he said during an appearance on the “Restore the Floor” podcast. “You got all these young players and Cade is like family to me. His brother played for me at SMU, so Cade and his family were at all of our games. We'd play and instead of watching the game, he'd go into the workout room and shoot baskets. I love him to death and he's a high-character kid. I know Stewart well, I went out to Washington when he was there and watched him play. An unbelievably high-character kid.”

100%. We should be so lucky.
To bad he's like a thousand years old or I'd like that idea.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
mike06181
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#549 » by mike06181 » Wed May 31, 2023 3:53 pm

Why not bring larry brown in for a year or so? It’s not like he ever stayed somewhere more than a few years anyways. Bring him in along with a young promising assist with the idea of that guy taking over in a yr or so when brown decides hes done. Brown would install the right foundation.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,424

Post#550 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 31, 2023 4:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg

Good move for u guys
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#551 » by coordinator0 » Wed May 31, 2023 4:30 pm

Article says that the team is prepared to offer him around $10 million a year. If Williams turns down the offer then it's most likely Charles Lee.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#552 » by Neptune » Wed May 31, 2023 4:33 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good move for u guys

I thought he turned us down
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#553 » by Snakebites » Wed May 31, 2023 4:35 pm

It sure sounds like Monty doesn’t particularly want to coach here.

Surprised to see we aren’t moving on.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,424

Post#554 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 31, 2023 4:38 pm

Read on Twitter
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#555 » by The Moose » Wed May 31, 2023 4:43 pm

Sounds like it will be Monty or Lee
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#556 » by NYPiston » Wed May 31, 2023 4:49 pm

Snakebites wrote:It sure sounds like Monty doesn’t particularly want to coach here.

I don't believe that was confirmed by any of the media heavy hitters (Woj, Shams). I think it was Marc Stein and I'm not sure how connected he is anymore but I could be wrong.

Regardless, you can't blame the Pistons for not trying. People will get mad if the Pistons have to settle for a lesser known candidate but I think that would be unfair.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#557 » by mattao313 » Wed May 31, 2023 4:55 pm

Snakebites wrote:It sure sounds like Monty doesn’t particularly want to coach here.

They tryna force his ass to sign lmao guy is crazy to turn down that money.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#558 » by Snakebites » Wed May 31, 2023 5:04 pm

NYPiston wrote:

I don't believe that was confirmed by any of the media heavy hitters (Woj, Shams). I think it was Marc Stein and I'm not sure how connected he is anymore but I could be wrong.

Regardless, you can't blame the Pistons for not trying. People will get mad if the Pistons have to settle for a lesser known candidate but I think that would be unfair.

It’s also fair to point out that with the Bucks and Sixers jobs positions now filled the job market just doesn’t look like it did when those reports came out.

We’ll see. Not sure how I feel about it. Sure narratively he’s reminiscent of Casey but is he actually a similar coach to him?
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#559 » by Neptune » Wed May 31, 2023 5:13 pm

If we get him, that's would be a great pick up. Looks like we gotta offer the bag to get good help here.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#560 » by coordinator0 » Wed May 31, 2023 5:27 pm

The article states that the Bucks went hard after Williams too and he turned them down. Seems like he really did/does want to take a year off and the Pistons are trying to coax him into having second thoughts.

Return to Detroit Pistons