Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,753

Re: What FA do you want in the GF spot 

Post#121 » by Snakebites » Sun May 21, 2023 4:04 pm

flow wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
flow wrote:Grant impressed me last night. We definitely need some of what he has on this team.
Tell me this is sarcasm

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Nope. I like the way he plays and I like his attitude.

He got a little carried away with Butler, but that's a teachable moment.

I'm not declaring him the #1 guy I think we should pursue, necessarily, but I'd be pleased if he ended up here somehow.

I could excuse the trash talking- teachable moment I guess.

But he’s supposed to be a defensive guy and they had to take him out because he was getting lit up.

The fact that he hasn’t gotten consistent playing time in the playoffs means he’s not worth a big contract either.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#122 » by whitehops » Sun May 21, 2023 6:08 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:If we're not getting Grant or Cam Johnson (both of which seem unlikely), then I'd be tempted to throw a 4/90 type offer at Reaves. He has made significant strides this season and his timeline fits with our other young guys. 22.5M per year is steep but once the new CBA kicks in and the salary cap goes up it will be an easier contract to swallow. The downside of doing it is we tie up our cap space for a couple of days while other potential targets get signed and then the Lakers still might match anyway.

i'm still all-in on my hopes of getting reaves. he's playing 36 MPG on a playoff team in the conference finals and performing well as a supporting player. that's not a fluke.

if we draft jarace walker and sign austin reaves then i'd give this offseason an A+. they're both talented, high-IQ/feel guys that usually pan out and help winning basketball which is what we desperately need after years of going for raw athletes.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#123 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon May 22, 2023 1:28 pm

I haven't watched enough of Reaves to say what kind of a player he is, but isn't he the type who's best with the ball in his hand as the lead guard?
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Post#124 » by tmorgan » Mon May 22, 2023 7:07 pm

whitehops wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:If we're not getting Grant or Cam Johnson (both of which seem unlikely), then I'd be tempted to throw a 4/90 type offer at Reaves. He has made significant strides this season and his timeline fits with our other young guys. 22.5M per year is steep but once the new CBA kicks in and the salary cap goes up it will be an easier contract to swallow. The downside of doing it is we tie up our cap space for a couple of days while other potential targets get signed and then the Lakers still might match anyway.

i'm still all-in on my hopes of getting reaves. he's playing 36 MPG on a playoff team in the conference finals and performing well as a supporting player. that's not a fluke.

if we draft jarace walker and sign austin reaves then i'd give this offseason an A+. they're both talented, high-IQ/feel guys that usually pan out and help winning basketball which is what we desperately need after years of going for raw athletes.

Years? You mean a single year. Duren and Ivey qualify. But no one is calling Cade, Livers, Killian, Stewart or Bey “going for raw athletes”. I guess you can count Bagley and Wiseman via trade, or the ultra low end FA signings of Josh Jackson and Knox, but we were a pretty sad un-athletic team before Ivey and Duren.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,323

Post#125 » by Mr Peanut » Tue May 23, 2023 2:46 pm

Any interest in bringing back Bruce Brown this summer? Good for a 25-28 minute role off the bench, has improved his 3 point shooting and brings some defense/toughness to the team.

Weaver gave him away for so little 3 years ago though so he might not be as enamored with the idea.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#126 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 23, 2023 5:29 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:Any interest in bringing back Bruce Brown this summer? Good for a 25-28 minute role off the bench, has improved his 3 point shooting and brings some defense/toughness to the team.

Weaver gave him away for so little 3 years ago though so he might not be as enamored with the idea.
I am all for bringing in a player who is tough as nails, chirps at the competition, and will bring an edge to this exceedingly young team.

It needs it badly.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#127 » by Pharaoh » Thu May 25, 2023 10:57 pm

Cap gurus:

Is it true the MAX for Cam Johnson is 32 mil?

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#128 » by bstein14 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:09 am

Pharaoh wrote:Cap gurus:

Is it true the MAX for Cam Johnson is 32 mil?

Should be a deal just slightly more than what Ayton signed with Indiana last year. About $140 million over 4 years I believe so starting just slightly over $30 but an average of about $35 million per year. That's too much for sure, although I feel like his impact on winning/losing is likely pretty positive and he's worth 4 years $100 million IMO as long as he continues to get a little bit better.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#129 » by bstein14 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:10 am

I'm a big luke warm on Grant Williams at the price we'd have to pay to get Boston not to match, but I have noticed in these playoffs that he really boxes out a lot. Other Celtics swoop in for rebounds but Grant is always finding a man and putting a body on them when the shot goes up. You rarely see that in today's NBA. He's almost assisting teammates to get rebounds by keeping opposing wings out of the paint after a shot goes up.

He also stands in the corner a bunch on offense to spread the floor (while Tatum and Brown go to work) so his offensive skill set looks super limited, but he is a really decent passer out of that corner three spot as well he has zero problem whipping it to the other side of the court on the money for another three point shooter if he is getting closed out on too hard.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#130 » by Pharaoh » Sun May 28, 2023 2:21 am

bstein14 wrote:I'm a big luke warm on Grant Williams at the price we'd have to pay to get Boston not to match, but I have noticed in these playoffs that he really boxes out a lot. Other Celtics swoop in for rebounds but Grant is always finding a man and putting a body on them when the shot goes up. You rarely see that in today's NBA. He's almost assisting teammates to get rebounds by keeping opposing wings out of the paint after a shot goes up.

He also stands in the corner a bunch on offense to spread the floor (while Tatum and Brown go to work) so his offensive skill set looks super limited, but he is a really decent passer out of that corner three spot as well he has zero problem whipping it to the other side of the court on the money for another three point shooter if he is getting closed out on too hard.
I think Williams is one of those dudes who does impact winning more than his stats show. The drama is what kind of offer will it take to not only get him signed but mean the Celtics don't match it?

He is in their top 8. Losing him for nothing would be a big blow.

As for Cam - same thing there:

What offer will it take to get him to sign and how high would we have to go to prevent the Nets from matching?

For Cam I can see the Nets matching almost any offer, especially if it's 100/4

LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 562

Post#131 » by LaSheed » Sun May 28, 2023 5:06 am

Didn't Reaves decline the opportunity to be drafted by us so he could go to the Lakers? Two way contract maybe?

Dude made the right call

If that's the case he's probably a "the grass isn't greener on the other side" type of guys. He's going to get paid in LA.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#132 » by Pharaoh » Sun May 28, 2023 5:09 am

LaSheed wrote:Didn't Reaves decline the opportunity to be drafted by us so he could go to the Lakers? Two way contract maybe?

Dude made the right call

If that's the case he's probably a "the grass isn't greener on the other side" type of guys. He's going to get paid in LA.
I believe he falls under the Gilbert Arenas rule so a team could make it very expensive long term for the Lakers.

Assuming of course that Reaves would sign a offer sheet elsewhere, which as you point out he might not choose to do if they pony up a good offer themselves

LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 562

Post#133 » by LaSheed » Sun May 28, 2023 5:23 am

Pharaoh wrote:
LaSheed wrote:Didn't Reaves decline the opportunity to be drafted by us so he could go to the Lakers? Two way contract maybe?

Dude made the right call

I believe he falls under the Gilbert Arenas rule so a team could make it very expensive long term for the Lakers.

Assuming of course that Reaves would sign a offer sheet elsewhere, which as you point out he might not choose to do if they pony up a good offer themselves

I keep seeing the Gilbert Arenas rule but can't remember what it is.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#134 » by Pharaoh » Sun May 28, 2023 5:35 am

LaSheed wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Dude made the right call

I keep seeing the Gilbert Arenas rule but can't remember what it is.
"Due to Gilbert Arenas Rule restrictions, teams are unable to offer Reaves more than the non-taxpayer mid-level exception in Year 1 and Year 2. However, they can offer him as high as a max contract in Year 3 and Year 4 of that offer."

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#135 » by Pharaoh » Sun May 28, 2023 5:37 am

Google says the Gilbert Arenas rule is:

Introduced to help avoid similar instances of teams losing promising young free agents, the Arenas provision limits the first-year salary that rival suitors can offer restricted free agents who have only been in the league for one or two years.

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#136 » by Pharaoh » Mon May 29, 2023 4:30 am

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/manage/16853338984525/

You can manage our roster here and make whatever choices you like on:

Burks
Eugene
RJ
Livers
Diallo
CoJo
McGruder

Keep both 2 way guys cause even if you dump both cap impact is next to nothing and you'd replace them anyway.

#5 is there as a cap hold
Dedmon is there as dead money

By renouncing Eugene, RJ, Diallo, CoJo & McGruder & signing our #5 pick (assume Whitmore) we'd have just over $26 mil to spend:

Duren, Wiseman, Bagley
Stewart, Bojan, Livers, #5
Cade, Ivey, Burks, Hayes

Could offer Cam Johnson $26 mil per, then go shopping for vet minimum guys, including bringing back the likes of CoJo & McGruder.

Duren, Cam, Bojan, Ivey, Cade
Stewart, Whitmore, Burks, Hayes

Wiseman, Bagley, Livers, CoJo, McGruder

That's a significantly upgraded rotation as we've added 2 wings but I still look at that and struggle to find 5 teams in the East right now we'd be better than.

But it's not about 1 move, 2 moves either.

I seriously doubt anyone here would be too upset if we came out of this off-season with Cam Johnson and Whitmore or whatever draftee you're highest on.

And it still won't really move the needle all that far!

bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#137 » by bjones521 » Mon May 29, 2023 5:14 am

I vote for Miles bridges. Give him a 2 yr prove it deal. More than Charlotte and any other team.
Cade
Ivey
Bridges
Hendricks
Duren
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#138 » by Pharaoh » Mon May 29, 2023 5:57 am

bjones521 wrote:I vote for Miles bridges. Give him a 2 yr prove it deal. More than Charlotte and any other team.
Cade
Ivey
Bridges
Hendricks
Duren
Make it a 3 year deal so we retain Bird Rights.

He's a piece of it to be sure and PR battle ensues after you sign him but your morals are not helping you win games

Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#139 » by Spider156 » Mon May 29, 2023 6:01 am

bjones521 wrote:I vote for Miles bridges. Give him a 2 yr prove it deal. More than Charlotte and any other team.
Cade
Ivey
Bridges
Hendricks
Duren

Pretty sure he’s gonna get the full 4 year max. He’s probably gonna be one of the best wings in the NBA when he comes back. You never know the game changes when you’re out for a while but I think at his age and athleticism it only slows down even if you’re out for a while. These players tend to come back and dominate. I do expect Bridges to be even better next year.
Defense wins championships
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#140 » by Spider156 » Mon May 29, 2023 6:16 am

Pharaoh wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nba/manage/16853338984525/

You can manage our roster here and make whatever choices you like on:

Burks
Eugene
RJ
Livers
Diallo
CoJo
McGruder

Keep both 2 way guys cause even if you dump both cap impact is next to nothing and you'd replace them anyway.

#5 is there as a cap hold
Dedmon is there as dead money

By renouncing Eugene, RJ, Diallo, CoJo & McGruder & signing our #5 pick (assume Whitmore) we'd have just over $26 mil to spend:

Duren, Wiseman, Bagley
Stewart, Bojan, Livers, #5
Cade, Ivey, Burks, Hayes

Could offer Cam Johnson $26 mil per, then go shopping for vet minimum guys, including bringing back the likes of CoJo & McGruder.

Duren, Cam, Bojan, Ivey, Cade
Stewart, Whitmore, Burks, Hayes

Wiseman, Bagley, Livers, CoJo, McGruder

That's a significantly upgraded rotation as we've added 2 wings but I still look at that and struggle to find 5 teams in the East right now we'd be better than.

But it's not about 1 move, 2 moves either.

I seriously doubt anyone here would be too upset if we came out of this off-season with Cam Johnson and Whitmore or whatever draftee you're highest on.

And it still won't really move the needle all that far!

I’d get rid of Eugene, RJ, Diallo, Cojo, Mcgruder. Out of those guys I’d probably say Eugene is the only guy worth keeping.

The problem here is you’re ignoring internal development and injuries. I think you’re wise enough to know what I mean. These players make massive jumps when they are real stars (see Ivey throughout his rookie year). So we don’t really know exactly how they’re gonna come back except for one guy, Cade. We know what we’re getting and he’s pretty much priming going forward and there’s no ceiling as long as his 3pt shot improves. Then there’s injuries on other teams. I find it ignorant that fans think their team is the only one that gets injured. Players like Giannis (lost first round) is a great example of what injuries do. I don’t think I need to elaborate more than that. Bucks became a joke of a team without Giannis because they’re built around him. That’s a JOKE that they lose to an 8th seed. It makes me really happy because of how we lost to Bucks in Playoffs. They’re such losers without Giannis. So who else? What about Embiid? What if Tatum gets out? See what I mean? I can probably count 8-10 teams in the East that can TOTALLY get wiped out if ONE player is out for the season.

Heat - Butler
Charlotte - Lamello
Bulls - Lavine
Wizards - Beal
Bucks - Giannis, not totally wiped out
76ers - Embiid
Knicks - Brunson
Celtics - Tatum
Brooklyn - Bridges
Atlanta - Trae
Indiana - Halliburton
Orlando - Paolo
Cleveland - not really anyone in particular tbh
Toronto - Siakam

Any one of those guys are out for the season, forget that team.

This is equivalent to Cade’s injury and missed season. I’m not advocating for injuries or hoping for them. No. I treat the NBA the same way any drama series is like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. So I appreciate all the talent on the court. I just realize the reality is teams get wiped out with injuries and it’s sad but the healthiest team usually wins it all (See nuggets and Boston).

My question is…when was the last time the Pistons were fully healthy? I feel like we’ve never been healthy for over a decade now. So why are other teams healthier than us? They’re not, it’s just the right guys have to stay healthy. Otherwise it’s a free for all.
Defense wins championships

Return to Detroit Pistons