ImageImageImage

2023 NBA Draft - 5th Pick - Detroit Pistons

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 100

Re: 2023 NBA Draft - 5th Pick - Detroit Pistons 

Post#401 » by SuperBad » Mon May 29, 2023 10:37 pm

I’ve been wondering if we could snag the 10th pick from Dallas by taking on Bertans, I’d like to grab two shooters, I think we could deal those late first for a late lottery or just outside the lottery, same option might be there with the Jazz. Also I think Washington is going to Blow it up, it might be interested in trading up on the way.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#402 » by Pharaoh » Mon May 29, 2023 11:21 pm

SuperBad wrote:I’ve been wondering if we could snag the 10th pick from Dallas by taking on Bertans, I’d like to grab two shooters, I think we could deal those late first for a late lottery or just outside the lottery, same option might be there with the Jazz. Also I think Washington is going to Blow it up, it might be interested in trading up on the way.
Are we just absorbing Bertans into cap space? If so 10 seems a high price for them to pay to dump salary.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,048

Post#403 » by bstein14 » Mon May 29, 2023 11:41 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
SuperBad wrote:I’ve been wondering if we could snag the 10th pick from Dallas by taking on Bertans, I’d like to grab two shooters, I think we could deal those late first for a late lottery or just outside the lottery, same option might be there with the Jazz. Also I think Washington is going to Blow it up, it might be interested in trading up on the way.
Are we just absorbing Bertans into cap space? If so 10 seems a high price for them to pay to dump salary.

#10 + Bertans for Burks plus #31

or

#10 + Bertaans for Bogdanovic
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#404 » by Pharaoh » Mon May 29, 2023 11:42 pm

bstein14 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

or

Aren't you in "win now" camp?

Trading Burks or Bojan for Bertans and 10 isn't going to help us get to the play in

bstein14
RealGM

Post#405 » by bstein14 » Mon May 29, 2023 11:43 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Are we just absorbing Bertans into cap space? If so 10 seems a high price for them to pay to dump salary.

or

Trading Burks or Bojan for Bertans and 10 isn't going to help us get to the play in

I wouldn't say that I'm "win now" I certainly wouldn't trade away good young pieces with a future in this league for older vets... but I'm certainly in the belief that if Weaver doesn't pull us out of the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the league this year he will certainly be in the hot seat. Gores will only accept being a bottom feeder for so long before he grows impatient IMO.

I wouldn't trade #5 for OG.
I would trade #5 for a good young player on a rookie deal for a few more years. Someone like

Those are probably more realistic trades than getting #10 for for taking on salary. Someone like Walker Kessler, Keegan Murray, Jalen Williams, Tari Eason (maybe).
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#406 » by SuperBad » Mon May 29, 2023 11:43 pm

Two years for a lottery pick is not that bad, we could use his shooting, and a vet even if it’s him
Pistonrings
Bench Warmer
And1: 284

Post#407 » by Pistonrings » Mon May 29, 2023 11:55 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:There’s a paradox inherent to a player dropping. If he’s dropping he’s dropping for a reason that could concern us just as much as it concerns teams 2-4.

We saw that with Drummond. While he had some early success the reasons he ultimately failed WERE the same reasons he fell in the draft.

Laremy Tunsil was projected to go #1 in the NFL draft 6 years ago or so. A video surfaced of him smoking weed with a gas mask on he fell to pick 13 due to this. Hes now the best offensive tackle in football .He was traded for a massive haul of picks and is now the highest paid Olineman ITL.

Their are other examples of guys having trouble in sports and falling in the draft due to it and turning out smashing values. Its a risk/reward thing. Obv it could not work out but what were passing up at 5 for said reward is less then every team in front of us.

Also look at the 2012 draft. Nobody good was drafted after Drummond we took by far the best player until into the 2nd round.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2012.html

Agree. These players are kids, the grow up and mature most of the time. Yeah, some never grow up but most do and Miller should be the pick if he's there. If not, I like Hendricks.

One thing I enjoyed about Jeremy Grant was that 6'8 length to get his shots off. Hendricks and Miller have that reach and I just like the thought of adding someone with good length.

Much depends on what Houston does. Any ideas on what they may do. I have heard one of the twins, but what do the need?
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#408 » by Pharaoh » Tue May 30, 2023 12:10 am

bstein14 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

or

I wouldn't say that I'm "win now" I certainly wouldn't trade away good young pieces with a future in this league for older vets... but I'm certainly in the belief that if Weaver doesn't pull us out of the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the league this year he will certainly be in the hot seat. Gores will only accept being a bottom feeder for so long before he grows impatient IMO.

I wouldn't trade #5 for OG.
I would trade #5 for a good young player on a rookie deal for a few more years. Someone like

Those are probably more realistic trades than getting #10 for for taking on salary. Someone like Walker Kessler, Keegan Murray, Jalen Williams, Tari Eason (maybe).

Doubt any of those guys are available via trade although you never know for sure.

The way we've been going since Gores bought the team I'm not really sure he cares about winning

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#409 » by Pharaoh » Tue May 30, 2023 12:11 am

Pistonrings wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:There’s a paradox inherent to a player dropping. If he’s dropping he’s dropping for a reason that could concern us just as much as it concerns teams 2-4.

We saw that with Drummond. While he had some early success the reasons he ultimately failed WERE the same reasons he fell in the draft.

Laremy Tunsil was projected to go #1 in the NFL draft 6 years ago or so. A video surfaced of him smoking weed with a gas mask on he fell to pick 13 due to this. Hes now the best offensive tackle in football .He was traded for a massive haul of picks and is now the highest paid Olineman ITL.

Their are other examples of guys having trouble in sports and falling in the draft due to it and turning out smashing values. Its a risk/reward thing. Obv it could not work out but what were passing up at 5 for said reward is less then every team in front of us.

Also look at the 2012 draft. Nobody good was drafted after Drummond we took by far the best player until into the 2nd round.

Agree. These players are kids, the grow up and mature most of the time. Yeah, some never grow up but most do and Miller should be the pick if he's there. If not, I like Hendricks.

One thing I enjoyed about Jeremy Grant was that 6'8 length to get his shots off. Hendricks and Miller have that reach and I just like the thought of adding someone with good length.

Much depends on what Houston does. Any ideas on what they may do. I have heard one of the twins, but what do the need?
Story is Houston are looking for a PG but if they know they're going to sign Harden that's not a need.

Looking at their collection of young players you could argue they just go BPA and figure it out later

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#410 » by Pharaoh » Tue May 30, 2023 12:13 am

SuperBad wrote:Two years for a lottery pick is not that bad, we could use his shooting, and a vet even if it’s him
Agreed but Dallas is asset poor and giving up their Lotto pick to clear Bertans is a big price to pay

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,965

Post#411 » by tmorgan » Tue May 30, 2023 12:49 am

Dallas needs defense, not offense. We have nothing to offer them, really.

Stewart, maybe.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#412 » by bstein14 » Tue May 30, 2023 1:31 am

If Dallas ends up trading #10 to clear cap its because they can get like $50 million in cap space to make a huge offer to someone like Harden.... not sure he pairs great with Luka but Dallas could go the cap space route if Kyrie is dead set on leaving Dallas.

Not sure there is really anyone that makes sense for Dallas in this FA market, and I'm sure their first hope will be to keep Kyrie but overall they might end up wanting to bring in some FA's and prioritize that over a #10 draft pick.
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#413 » by bjones521 » Tue May 30, 2023 4:31 am

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/2085217/

I hope this doesnt mean we draft Whitmore or one of the Thompson twins. But next year, I doubt Hendricks or Walker will be better than Stewart especially if the Pistons are trying to win.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#414 » by LaSheed » Tue May 30, 2023 4:40 am

bjones521 wrote:https://hoopshype.com/rumor/2085217/

I hope this doesnt mean we draft Whitmore or one of the Thompson twins. But next year, I doubt Hendricks or Walker will be better than Stewart especially if the Pistons are trying to win.

Lol for a couple of 2nd rounders. Cmon now
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#415 » by Pharaoh » Tue May 30, 2023 4:49 am

I doubt we're looking to trade Stewart.

Yeah ok everyone can be traded for the right deal but at worst he's a rotation big on a good team.

Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#416 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue May 30, 2023 4:31 pm

We're not looking to trade Stew, IMO.

There are going to be some RFAs available this off season as the elite teams in the luxury tax look to avoid the second apron. Grant Williams and Rui are two likely candidates, IMO. Golden State may need to sell low on Poole.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#417 » by Neptune » Tue May 30, 2023 5:10 pm

Anyone think we can trade our 5th pick to the Spurs for Keldon Johnson?
DarkSyde
Junior
And1: 115

Post#418 » by DarkSyde » Wed May 31, 2023 1:00 am

Pharaoh wrote:
Pistonrings wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Story is Houston are looking for a PG but if they know they're going to sign Harden that's not a need.

Looking at their collection of young players you could argue they just go BPA and figure it out later

I like Hendricks more because he's a good defender and shooter.
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#419 » by bjones521 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:07 am

Listening to the James Edwards III podcast he stated the Pistons are most certainly going to pick the player with the highest floor. The pistons have Cade, Ivey and Duren to build around. They need a player that can come in and play 25min now and not be taught how to play.

If thats the case I'm still not sure who the pick is lol. Im guessing maybe Hendricks bc his defense and 3 point shooting should translate.
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#420 » by Phenomenonsense » Wed May 31, 2023 1:37 am

I would love to walk away from this draft with Hendricks. I'd also love to walk away with Gradey, just add some shooters to the team really. If we could wheel and deal and take both, I'd do it. Hendricks' defense has him higher than Gradey, but I want almost no one in our "range"

Return to Detroit Pistons