ImageImageImage

.5 second offense what current and available players will shine?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

kpt
Senior
And1: 209

.5 second offense what current and available players will shine? 

Post#1 » by kpt » Thu Jun 1, 2023 7:54 pm

If Monty brings the .5 second offense, which is highly contingent on read and react and 5 out, who are the players on the roster and available to really flourish?

I think the space gives Cade and Ivy an edge to get into mid range and go all the way to the rim. Duren and his effort will do well. Boj and Burks will do well.

Sneaky pick do well is Livers and Hayes (let the hate on this post begin) I can also see Stewart working well. And if he was still here Diallo.

I expect at least 2 past Monty players will be signed.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Re: .5 second offense what current and available players will shine? 

Post#2 » by bstein14 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 8:18 pm

Suns FA Damion Lee, who married the little sister of Steph and Seth Curry... and shot 44.5% from three this season in 20 minutes a night for the Suns. He's someone who is going to be overlooked in FA a bit but is one of the best 3 point shooters out there.

I could easily see him coming in and replacing the minutes that Diallo had last year... or Hayes. I think we'll be putting a high value on 3 point shooting for sure which likely means no Diallo or Hayes this year and probably one of Bagley or Wiseman will be out of the rotation as well.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#3 » by kpt » Thu Jun 1, 2023 8:26 pm

This team definitely needs more shooting I totally agree. And the little I have watched off Monty’s offense is that off the ball movement is crucial. Cerebral players will do well. That excludes a few on the roster.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#4 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:46 am

bstein14 wrote:Suns FA Damion Lee, who married the little sister of Steph and Seth Curry... and shot 44.5% from three this season in 20 minutes a night for the Suns. He's someone who is going to be overlooked in FA a bit but is one of the best 3 point shooters out there.

I could easily see him coming in and replacing the minutes that Diallo had last year... or Hayes. I think we'll be putting a high value on 3 point shooting for sure which likely means no Diallo or Hayes this year and probably one of Bagley or Wiseman will be out of the rotation as well.

That’s a good call. I would imagine he’d be at the top of the list.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#5 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:49 am

FloridaMan78 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Suns FA Damion Lee, who married the little sister of Steph and Seth Curry... and shot 44.5% from three this season in 20 minutes a night for the Suns. He's someone who is going to be overlooked in FA a bit but is one of the best 3 point shooters out there.

He'd better be cheap cause he's not exactly a stud role player atm more of a situational player but that's ok cause Hayes is too.

If we have a guy like Ivey also on the floor with Lee he could initiate the offense and Lee plays off the ball where his shooting would be more of a threat

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#6 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:36 am

Pharaoh wrote:
FloridaMan78 wrote:

He'd better be cheap cause he's not exactly a stud role player atm more of a situational player but that's ok cause Hayes is too.

If we have a guy like Ivey also on the floor with Lee he could initiate the offense and Lee plays off the ball where his shooting would be more of a threat

He had a good year but he signed for the minimum last year and is already 30. Doubt he gets much more than that.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,307

Post#7 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:59 am

Isn't Seth Curry an UFA? Would he be worth pursuing? He seems to have fallen out of favor in Brooklyn.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#8 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:22 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Isn't Seth Curry an UFA? Would he be worth pursuing? He seems to have fallen out of favor in Brooklyn.
He's a shooter and vet we could use.

MLE is just under $12 mil. Doubt he's gonna get a full MLE offer from anyone.

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#9 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:03 am

Maybe it's his defense or the fact that he can't handle the ball at all but Lee was excellent for us early on and over time just lost his spot in the rotation. He went from playing good rotation minutes (low 20mpg) pre-ASW to playing less than 15mpg along with a half dozen DNP's and garbage. minutes.

It wasn't like we didn't need his 3PT shooting either but Monty just stopped putting him in the regular rotation which I thought was a mistake. Part of that could have been that Monty's favourite son Landry Shamet started playing more minutes after coming back from injury
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#10 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:39 am

lilfishi22 wrote:

Maybe it's his defense or the fact that he can't handle the ball at all but Lee was excellent for us early on and over time just lost his spot in the rotation. He went from playing good rotation minutes (low 20mpg) pre-ASW to playing less than 15mpg along with a half dozen DNP's and garbage. minutes.

It wasn't like we didn't need his 3PT shooting either but Monty just stopped putting him in the regular rotation which I thought was a mistake. Part of that could have been that Monty's favourite son Landry Shamet started playing more minutes after coming back from injury

What's the story with Monty and Shamet?

See a lot of posts implying Monty favoured him but no Suns fan seems to trash Landry for unwarranted playing time.

Is this a Doc/Austin Rivers situation or did Shamet earn his minutes?

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#11 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:31 am

Pharaoh wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

See a lot of posts implying Monty favoured him but no Suns fan seems to trash Landry for unwarranted playing time.

It's kind of a running joke which Monty haters have taken to heart to bring it up every time they have any criticisms of Monty. Essentially, Shamet played under Monty when Monty was an assistant there and when Monty was asked about the player/person Shamet is, he basically said that Landry was a really good dude and he's the kind of guy he would like his daughter to marry and thus the whole son in law jokes.

Honestly, Landry did play a lot of minutes which were unproductive given his level of play especially in the playoffs and critics continue to bring up that son in law joke as if it was Monty was truly "gifting" him undeserved minutes solely because of the son in law thing. But in reality, our guard depth has just never been great aside from when Cam Payne or Cam Johnson were having good games off the bench which meant Landry just had to play. Quite often Shamet would be the only guy playing passable defense, he'd move the ball around and just be a good team guy. He makes a lot of mistakes and can't seem to finish around the rim and was just inconsistent shooting the ball but ultimately, Monty has to play who he had on the bench. I won't say Monty played him the right amount of minutes because even I thought Shamet was playing too much in critical games but I just don't buy the whole son in law thing as the reason he's getting minutes.

I can't speak much of the Doc/Ausin situation but interestingly, I think there are a lot of similarities between Doc and Monty as coaches. Both are excellent regular season coaches with decent post season success, both have a strong voice and connection to their players (players seem to love playing for them) and both could do better executing and preparing their teams in the playoffs. The way I see it, Monty is walking down the same path as Doc but whereas Doc has over 20 years of head coaching experience, Monty is only entering his 10th year as a head coach so Monty has time and opportunity to deviate from the Doc path which is marred with postseason choking and essentially underperforming despite routinely being talked about as one of the best coaches in the league by the media
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#12 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:39 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Maybe it's his defense or the fact that he can't handle the ball at all but Lee was excellent for us early on and over time just lost his spot in the rotation. He went from playing good rotation minutes (low 20mpg) pre-ASW to playing less than 15mpg along with a half dozen DNP's and garbage. minutes.

It's kind of a running joke which Monty haters have taken to heart to bring it up every time they have any criticisms of Monty. Essentially, Shamet played under Monty when Monty was an assistant there and when Monty was asked about the player/person Shamet is, he basically said that Landry was a really good dude and he's the kind of guy he would like his daughter to marry and thus the whole son in law jokes.

Honestly, Landry did play a lot of minutes which were unproductive given his level of play especially in the playoffs and critics continue to bring up that son in law joke as if it was Monty was truly "gifting" him undeserved minutes solely because of the son in law thing. But in reality, our guard depth has just never been great aside from when Cam Payne or Cam Johnson were having good games off the bench which meant Landry just had to play. Quite often Shamet would be the only guy playing passable defense, he'd move the ball around and just be a good team guy. He makes a lot of mistakes and can't seem to finish around the rim and was just inconsistent shooting the ball but ultimately, Monty has to play who he had on the bench. I won't say Monty played him the right amount of minutes because even I thought Shamet was playing too much in critical games but I just don't buy the whole son in law thing as the reason he's getting minutes.

I can't speak much of the Doc/Ausin situation but interestingly, I think there are a lot of similarities between Doc and Monty as coaches. Both are excellent regular season coaches with decent post season success, both have a strong voice and connection to their players (players seem to love playing for them) and both could do better executing and preparing their teams in the playoffs. The way I see it, Monty is walking down the same path as Doc but whereas Doc has over 20 years of head coaching experience, Monty is only entering his 10th year as a head coach so Monty has time and opportunity to deviate from the Doc path which is marred with postseason choking and essentially underperforming despite routinely being talked about as one of the best coaches in the league by the media
Appreciate the feedback, especially on Monty & Shamet. Would hate to hear he did gift playing time to his "favourites" but as you stated your guard depth, especially with Payne injured wasn't all that strong anyway

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#13 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:14 am

Pharaoh wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Appreciate the feedback, especially on Monty & Shamet. Would hate to hear he did gift playing time to his "favourites" but as you stated your guard depth, especially with Payne injured wasn't all that strong anyway

We're humans. We see what we all see but we also focus only on what we want to focus on. A bunch of people on the Suns board were lauding the coaching of Bud and Nurse while simultaneously calling Monty the worst coach in the league. At the same time, if you take a peak into the Bucks and Raptor forums, it's basically the opposite.

I think your Pistons got a good guy especially for a young team that need good structure, coaching, culture and character building. Monty exceeds in all those areas.

Return to Detroit Pistons