ImageImageImage

If Miller falls to 3?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: If Miller falls to 3? 

Post#21 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jun 7, 2023 6:07 am

tmorgan wrote:Charlotte is dumb. Just giving away value. If you don’t want Scoot because of LaMelo, fine, but extract that price from someone else.
Exactly

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#22 » by mattao313 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 6:23 am

tmorgan wrote:Charlotte is dumb. Just giving away value. If you don’t want Scoot because of LaMelo, fine, but extract that price from someone else.
How does this make sense? If Miller is their guy why not take him? How do you know that Miller isn't Portlands or Houston or whoever else's guy too? Some times it just better to take the thing right in front of you instead of getting too cute.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,922

Post#23 » by tmorgan » Wed Jun 7, 2023 6:31 am

mattao313 wrote:
How does this make sense? If Miller is their guy why not take him? How do you know that Miller isn't Portlands or Houston or whoever else's guy too? Some times it just better to take the thing right in front of you instead of getting too cute.

If Miller is their guy, maneuver. Scoot has the second most value in the minds of the vast majority of talent evaluators.

If Portland really wants Miller (speculation, not fact), make them pay, then make someone else pay for Scoot at 3.

Now if they really love Miller, I get you. I’m letting my distaste for Miller (lacks range, awful tournament, character issues) affect my decision making, certainly. I just don’t see it.

I see your point, though. I still think any non-spurs team passing on Henderson is really dumb. He’s in his own tier for me, albeit three tiers below the real prize.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#24 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jun 7, 2023 7:15 am

You cant extract value when the team behind you is hoping Miller falls if they keep their pick. Their are scouts who have Miller over Scoot pound for pound as prospects. When you add in the fact of position scarcity IE its not hard to find small guards its really tough to find long 3+D wings its not so simple. The Blazers have Dame, Hornets Melo, if we had pick 2 we would most likely of been going Miller due to fit as well.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#25 » by tmorgan » Wed Jun 7, 2023 8:15 am

buzzkilloton wrote:

You cant extract value when the team behind you is hoping Miller falls if they keep their pick. Their are scouts who have Miller over Scoot pound for pound as prospects. When you add in the fact of position scarcity IE its not hard to find small guards its really tough to find long 3+D wings its not so simple. The Blazers have Dame, Hornets Melo, if we had pick 2 we would most likely of been going Miller due to fit as well.

That’s not true.

Charlotte can get value from Portland if they convince them they’d take Miller if they keep #2.

Charlotte can get value from other franchises at #4 and lower if those teams want Scoot.

Point is, maximize your assets. If Miller is worth more to them than any of the above scenarios, so be it. I still think that’s really dumb. :)
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jun 7, 2023 8:36 am

tmorgan wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

That’s not true.

Charlotte can get value from Portland if they convince them they’d take Miller if they keep #2.

Charlotte can get value from other franchises at #4 and lower if those teams want Scoot.

Point is, maximize your assets. If Miller is worth more to them than any of the above scenarios, so be it. I still think that’s really dumb. :)

To the bolded if thats the game the Hornets are playing their doing it now by saying they want Miller at 2. I dont buy it personally. I think Miller just makes way more sense on that roster. I think the Blazers are more likely to trade out of 3 then trade up to 2 due to the wanting to win with Dame factor. Kinda hard to throw in extra stuff for a young prospect when your in win now mode.

As far as your other point that doesnt work if the team behind them wants Miller at 3. You cant trade out of pick 2 and go down to 4 and lower and get your guy he will be gone at 3.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#27 » by tmorgan » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:27 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
tmorgan wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

That’s not true.

To the bolded if thats the game the Hornets are playing their doing it now by saying they want Miller at 2. I dont buy it personally. I think Miller just makes way more sense on that roster. I think the Blazers are more likely to trade out of 3 then trade up to 2 due to the wanting to win with Dame factor. Kinda hard to throw in extra stuff for a young prospect when your in win now mode.

As far as your other point that doesnt work if the team behind them wants Miller at 3. You cant trade out of pick 2 and go down to 4 and lower and get your guy he will be gone at 3.

Well, yeah. It’s right there at the end of my post…. “If Miller is worth more to them than any of the above scenarios, so be it.” It’s obvious that if you trade down to 4 or lower, you aren’t getting Scoot or Miller. In this case, for Charlotte, a premium return instead of (in just MY opinion) a guy not worth the #2 pick.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jun 7, 2023 4:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#29 » by Drwho17 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 4:53 pm

They better not trade their pick, they need to stay the course, stay patient and draft one of the high upside wings available. I don't believe there is anybody they could get for #5 that helps them enough to sacrifice the long term gains from keeping the picks, trades like this is what keeps teams on the treadmill, and the Pistons shouldn't be worried at this point about dumping Bagley for cap space with the pick either.
flow
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by flow » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:34 pm

tmorgan wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

If Miller is their guy, maneuver. Scoot has the second most value in the minds of the vast majority of talent evaluators.

If Portland really wants Miller (speculation, not fact), make them pay, then make someone else pay for Scoot at 3.

Now if they really love Miller, I get you. I’m letting my distaste for Miller (lacks range, awful tournament, character issues) affect my decision making, certainly. I just don’t see it.

I see your point, though. I still think any non-spurs team passing on Henderson is really dumb. He’s in his own tier for me, albeit three tiers below the real prize.

Even if Scoot does have more value than Miller, the question is, 'how much more?' And the answer is, 'probably not enough to make a trade-up worthwhile to Portland.'

The Philly/Fultz debacle still rings in everyone's ears. And this isn't Wembanyama we're talking about trading up for.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#31 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:43 pm

Drwho17 wrote:They better not trade their pick, they need to stay the course, stay patient and draft one of the high upside wings available. I don't believe there is anybody they could get for #5 that helps them enough to sacrifice the long term gains from keeping the picks, trades like this is what keeps teams on the treadmill, and the Pistons shouldn't be worried at this point about dumping Bagley for cap space with the pick either.

That's one thing that keeps teams on the treadmill. The other is failing to draft difference makers in the lottery. Hoping we can avoid both pitfalls!

Return to Detroit Pistons