And1: 470

How much weaver offer Tobias Harris? 

Post#1 » by aad » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:46 am

Seems like Harris is gonna be weaver top target this summer

At his age I hope weaver don’t go more then 4/100
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,325

Re: How much weaver offer Tobias Harris? 

Post#2 » by vege » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:58 am

You really think it would cost 25 mil per season to get him? 3/120 if we are luck which I doubt or probably 4/160+ and that's still probably not enough to make him leave Philly
aad
Starter
And1: 470

Post#3 » by aad » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:06 am

I don’t think he wanna be in Philly but I also don’t think he’s getting more then 4/120 from any team
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#4 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:13 pm

I read on Hoopshype that they turned down Bojan and Burks... No one wants to come to Detroit. Tobias might be the best available and in order for him to come, it probably would a ton.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,046

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:44 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:I read on Hoopshype that they turned down Bojan and Burks... No one wants to come to Detroit. Tobias might be the best available and in order for him to come, it probably would a ton.

Yeah, I’m definitely concerned that the Detroit tax will be greater than usual here.

I’m sure the Sixers turned that down. As we saw with the Buddy trade they were looking to add, not subtract or make lateral moves.
Patrick27
Junior
And1: 107

Post#6 » by Patrick27 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:49 pm

Too early to speculate - we need to see if what we have is enough to show growth and improvement. Do our new acquisitions fill the need? Can Stewart be a 4 with the right roster balance? Where are we drafting, and is there a decent 4 available at our draft spot?

Tobias Harris is solid but not great, and will be 32 in the summer. He shouldn't be the highest paid player on the team. Nobody wants to pay him 40M+ per year because he will be older than Bojan when that contract ends and we are theoretically a playoff team by then. I'm hoping that the current roster can gel and we won't need to sign him, especially since Harris could actually be a step down in defense (and more as time goes by) and a relatively minor (and possibly unnecessary) step up in offense compared to our current roster composition.

My earlier thought was to offer OG the max and force NYK to match, extend Cade, then just sit on the cap space until it is needed for Ivey/Duren extensions. I still think that's the right approach. I'd rather extend Ivey/Duren in 2 years than have a Tobias overpay that will hold us back cap-wise in the future.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,117

Post#7 » by Kilo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:51 pm

Detroit tax is at an all time high because this organization is a total **** show with a checked out coach and a clown car front office and worst owner in the league.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#8 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:10 pm

Snakebites wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:I read on Hoopshype that they turned down Bojan and Burks... No one wants to come to Detroit. Tobias might be the best available and in order for him to come, it probably would a ton.

Yeah, I’m definitely concerned that the Detroit tax will be greater than usual here.

I’m sure the Sixers turned that down. As we saw with the Buddy trade they were looking to add, not subtract or make lateral moves.

Guessing that agents will point it out if Detroit offers what a better team is already offering.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#9 » by Piston Pete » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:23 pm

I hope we don’t go after Harris at all.

Our targets should be 1) OG, or 2) Patrick Williams, or 3) Obi Toppin
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 481

Post#10 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:43 pm

vege wrote:You really think it would cost 25 mil per season to get him? 3/120 if we are luck which I doubt or probably 4/160+ and that's still probably not enough to make him leave Philly

Agreed. I see Weaver offering him LaVine type money. Really scares me to be honest. Cause I see the offer and it being rejected. I see the Pistons shifting to some bench guy and covering 25 plus per year to start for us and only to end up being a 20 no less rotation player by mid season with a stretch during or after year two of the contract.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,267

Post#11 » by BDM22 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:19 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
vege wrote:You really think it would cost 25 mil per season to get him? 3/120 if we are luck which I doubt or probably 4/160+ and that's still probably not enough to make him leave Philly

Agreed. I see Weaver offering him LaVine type money. Really scares me to be honest. Cause I see the offer and it being rejected. I see the Pistons shifting to some bench guy and covering 25 plus per year to start for us and only to end up being a 20 no less rotation player by mid season with a stretch during or after year two of the contract.

No chance Tobias gets Lavine money. Zach got 215M over 5 years. He’s gonna get less than Grant, whose deal is 160M over 5 years (32M annually). I could see 100M for 3 years, so a similar annual number but shorter on years. Maybe like $110M for the double Detroit tax bonus.

Obviously a lot depends on what Philly does. Tobias is gonna have a big cap hold for them I believe, so if they have another target, they might have to let Tobias go, and then his market starts to shrink a lot.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,154

Post#12 » by bstein14 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:20 pm

The problem here is, Tobias wanted to be taken care of by Philly already. He wanted to work on an extension and Philly wanted to keep their FA options open. He's also commented about how Philly fans would trade him for a crumble cookie. Philly has just as much cap space as us and they are looking to try and get a better player than Tobias so you know if Philly doesn't immediately offer Tobias a deal and Detroit comes through with a strong offer and makes Tobias feel like he's their #1 target it could make a difference here.

If you immediately come in with a strong offer of 4 years $120 million (where the last year is only guaranteed $5 so total of 4 years $95 million guaranteed) that is a hard offer to turn down if its your best offer and your current team is still negotiating with Paul George, Siakam, LeBron, OG, etc..... Philly clearly has Tobias as their backup plan this summer.

24-25: $30 million (Age 32)
25-26: $30 million (Age 33)
26-27: $30 million (Age 34)
27-28: $30 million (Age 35) -> Only $5 million guaranteed if waived by June 27th 2027

That's the type of deal I'm expecting Tobias to get from us. We just saw Jerami Grant sign for $30 million per year and we also saw Cam Johnson get a deal of $95 million over 4 years before incentives. Remember that there are only about 5 to 6 teams with $30+ million in cap space and Detroit & Philly are two of them.

Detroit $75 million (before draft picks)
Philly $75 million
Orlando $62 million -> Has zero need for a starting forward with Banchero and Franz
Toronto $55 million -> Just started to get younger core to build around Barnes unlikely to have interest
Utah Jazz $54 million -> Has Lauri M but could have interest to sign and turn into a flippable asset
OKC Thunder $41 million -> No starter spot with Chet and Jalen Williams at the F spots
Charlotte Hornets $40 million -> Only has that money if Miles Bridges doesn't sign a big deal with them.
Indiana Pacers $36 million -> Only has that money if Pascal Siakam leaves.
San Antonio Spurs $34 million -> Would be a solid vet for San Antonio if SA wanted to move VW to center.
--------
The competition is pretty weak for teams with cap space that actually need a starting Forward.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#13 » by NYPiston » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:28 pm

Piston Pete wrote:I hope we don’t go after Harris at all.

Why would you want Okafor, Noel, Bagley, Wiseman, Knox etc. again? No more reclamation projects.
What makes you think they have any chance more than zero for OG? He's almost certainly re-signing with the Knicks, I'd be shocked if he didn't. Isn't Toppin a RFA? They'd have to vastly overpay to land him. Not sure I'd do that.

Weaver seems really horny for Harris. If Tobias is willing, it almost seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll be a Piston again. I'd like Harris here, if he was 3-4 years younger. Any long term contract for a 32 year old has disaster written all over it.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#14 » by Piston Pete » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:32 pm

Weaver was extremely high on Patrick Williams in the draft. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Weaver target Williams as a FA.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#15 » by DetroitSho » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:33 pm

I'm going with a max deal for Tobias.........for 2 years tho. So what is that, 2 years $100 million?

But that's AFTER I pursue O.G. because that's actually my target.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,267

Post#16 » by BDM22 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:36 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Weaver was extremely high on Patrick Williams in the draft. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Weaver target Williams as a FA.

Chicago seems dead set on bringing everyone back for another run at the 10th seed, so that would seem foolish.

Assuming we go after a starting forward like Tobias, I also don’t see the need to dump a bunch more money with Fontecchio and Ausar here as well.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#17 » by DetroitSho » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:37 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Weaver was extremely high on Patrick Williams in the draft. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Weaver target Williams as a FA.
This has been my speculation. So, do you even like Patrick Williams as a player yourself? Because everytime I see him mentioned, it's because Weaver allegedly liked him 4 years ago, BEFORE he got to show the world how awesomely average he is.

Side note, he really liked Killian 4 years ago, too.

NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#18 » by NYPiston » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:37 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Weaver was extremely high on Patrick Williams in te draft. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Weaver target Williams as a FA.

Possibly but you were posting what the Pistons "should" do, not what you think they will do.. What makes you think that they should target Williams?

Actually, I looked up the stats and he shoots the 3 exceptionally well to my surprise. Hmm, I haven't watched much of Williams. Is he really THAT bad at every other aspect of the game?
Patrick27
Junior
And1: 107

Post#19 » by Patrick27 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:41 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:I hope we don’t go after Harris at all.

Why would you want Okafor, Noel, Bagley, Wiseman, Knox etc. again? No more reclamation projects.
What makes you think they have any chance more than zero for OG? He's almost certainly re-signing with the Knicks, I'd be shocked if he didn't. Isn't Toppin a RFA? They'd have to vastly overpay to land him. Not sure I'd do that.

Weaver seems really horny for Harris. If Tobias is willing, it almost seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll be a Piston again. I'd like Harris here, if he was 3-4 years younger. Any long term contract for a 32 year old has disaster written all over it.

Weaver is also [opposite of horny] for big contracts. He prefers to buy low, even if he has to sell low. Signing Harris to a huge offer would be Weaver's one big swing of his tenure, and I just don't think it's good enough to risk his 4 years of a dumpster diving rebuild on an old Harris.

If there's one thing that has defined Weaver in Detroit, it's patience and risk aversion. He is not a home run swinger, he'd rather grind out single after single. If the time comes for a home run swing, it won't be f'ing Harris.

Remember, he's an OKC guy, and they don't swing for the fences either. I see Weaver doing a slow 8-year rebuild like OKC before I see him blowing it all on an old man.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#20 » by Piston Pete » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:01 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
This has been my speculation. So, do you even like Patrick Williams as a player yourself? Because everytime I see him mentioned, it's because Weaver allegedly liked him 4 years ago, BEFORE he got to show the world how awesomely average he is.

Side note, he really liked Killian 4 years ago, too.

I like Williams as a 3&D stretch-the-floor option. If you don’t expect more of him other than 3&D, he fits.

I think Bulls fans rag on him cuz of their expectations of him, being such a high draft pick. They want more out of him. But he is what he is…..a good 3&D support role type.

This team is Cade’s, Ivey’s, and Duren’s.

I think what Williams does well compliments those guys.

Return to Detroit Pistons