Time to face reality about Cade

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Re: Time to face reality about Cade 

Post#81 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:26 pm

A_dub06 wrote:T

When it came out that Cade was actually 6-5 or 6-6 and not 6-8 as listed previously, I was made fun of for making out like it was a huge deal. I saw his athletic limitations and for someone that’s supposed to be a good shooter but hasn’t shown it, not having an athletic advantage to get to better spots/attack the rim or use sheer size to bully your opponent is going to put said player into undesirable position to try and score from.

That said, while I think Cade has been all bark no bite, and for the record I wanted to Mobley before the draft, the lack of shooting on the roster has compounded his limitations which can essentially be applied to the rest of our young core too. None of our guys have been set up to succeed, and we have a coach and gm that can’t work out how to do it either.

It was concerning for me as well. When a guy was consistently hyped through the college season as this 6'8 oversized ball handler like Luka and hes suddenly becomes 6'5 with hair that pushes him to 6'6 its not the same. I remember people brushing it off "its just a couple inches" well a few inches matters in the world of giants.

I also agree with your last point this roster just isnt set up for success for anyone. We should of been surrounding our young talent with some quality vets that can help them grow and shooters not a bunch of low bball IQ draft busts that Weaver likes to collect.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,527

Post#82 » by whitehops » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:14 pm

i think it's fair to wonder about cade's ideal usage/role but i also think cade has the skill and bball IQ to adapt his process to fit the team. cade might never be an MVP-calibre player but i think he's still someone you want on your team, even if you have to pay him the rookie max extension.

i think the biggest thing for him is to stay healthy. it can really mess with a player's development when you're constantly rehabbing instead of working on your game.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#83 » by Rip32 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:29 pm

A_dub06 wrote:To me the whole Cade thing was questionable, I never saw what made him the “consensus” pick outside of questions surrounding other players and if that’s the bar your setting for what’s supposed to be a franchise player, you’re setting yourself up issues.

When it came out that Cade was actually 6-5 or 6-6 and not 6-8 as listed previously, I was made fun of for making out like it was a huge deal. I saw his athletic limitations and for someone that’s supposed to be a good shooter but hasn’t shown it, not having an athletic advantage to get to better spots/attack the rim or use sheer size to bully your opponent is going to put said player into undesirable position to try and score from.

That said, while I think Cade has been all bark no bite, and for the record I wanted to Mobley before the draft, the lack of shooting on the roster has compounded his limitations which can essentially be applied to the rest of our young core too. None of our guys have been set up to succeed, and we have a coach and gm that can’t work out how to do it either.
I wanted Mobley as well. It's easy to find players like Cade. Guys 6'6, slow and can't shoot can be found in any draft daily. You don't find guys with Mobley skills often

Sent from my SM-A546U using RealGM mobile app

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,372

Post#84 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:38 pm

I feel like last year there was chatter that he was up to 6'7 with added muscle. Not sure where that narrative disappeared to. He's definitely at least 6'6 though.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#85 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:40 pm

Until Mobley develops a consistent outside shot or shows he can anchor the 5 (so far he can't hold up there) he's a non-spacing power forward, which is even less valuable in today's game than a player like Cade.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#86 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:41 pm

whitehops wrote:i think it's fair to wonder about cade's ideal usage/role but i also think cade has the skill and bball IQ to adapt his process to fit the team. cade might never be an MVP-calibre player but i think he's still someone you want on your team, even if you have to pay him the rookie max extension.

i think the biggest thing for him is to stay healthy. it can really mess with a player's development when you're constantly rehabbing instead of working on your game.

I think the biggest question is whether he can adapt mentally to the idea of being a #2 or #3 on a competitive team. I think he bought his own hype as a franchise player/#1 overall pick type and seems to think he's earned that status rather than just being handed it.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,199

Post#87 » by Laimbeer » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:48 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
whitehops wrote:i think it's fair to wonder about cade's ideal usage/role but i also think cade has the skill and bball IQ to adapt his process to fit the team. cade might never be an MVP-calibre player but i think he's still someone you want on your team, even if you have to pay him the rookie max extension.

I think the biggest question is whether he can adapt mentally to the idea of being a #2 or #3 on a competitive team. I think he bought his own hype as a franchise player/#1 overall pick type and seems to think he's earned that status rather than just being handed it.
He strikes me as the kind of guy that would be relieved by being demoted to Robin.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,199

Post#88 » by Laimbeer » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:49 pm

You seriously believe that he is worth the rookie max extension?

Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,732

Post#89 » by Cowology » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:05 pm

Laimbeer wrote:

This is the tricky part. Obviously he's not worth it. The question then becomes "Do we have to do it anyway?"

It's always about choices & alternatives. Is signing Cade better than losing him for nothing? Probably. Better than what we'd get back in trade? Possibly.

And that's kinda where the discussion rests. Depends on what realistic options are out there. Depends on an unknown future, especially pertaining to health.

But I don't think I've seen anything to make me think Cade is "worth" the max rookie extension.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,713

Post#90 » by Invictus88 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:14 pm

Cowology wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

This is the tricky part. Obviously he's not worth it. The question then becomes "Do we have to do it anyway?"

It's always about choices & alternatives. Is signing Cade better than losing him for nothing? Probably. Better than what we'd get back in trade? Possibly.

And that's kinda where the discussion rests. Depends on what realistic options are out there. Depends on an unknown future, especially pertaining to health.

But I don't think I've seen anything to make me think Cade is "worth" the max rookie extension.

I think a non-broken Cade is worth it. But he's had very few intervals where that has actually been the case. I'm speaking of a guy averaging 25.2 ppg, 7.5 ast, 4.8rb on 50%fg and 35% 3p in December (13 games).

Then he injured his knee and has looked bad and we have this thread.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,527

Post#91 » by whitehops » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:01 pm

Laimbeer wrote:You seriously believe that he is worth the rookie max extension?

definitely.

to put into context, the first year (2026) of his new deal would start around $37-$39M, depending on how much the cap rises. if it's $37M, it would currently be around the 30th highest contract, and that's without guys like lebron, george, siakam, ingram, maxey, harden, etc. having deals. when you factor in all those guys plus other guys in cade's draft class like mobley, sengun and barnes as long as you think cade can be a top 50 player in the league then it's a no-brainer to give him a rookie max extension.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,967

Post#92 » by MotownMadness » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:41 pm

Hopefully post All Star break numbers look really good cause thats a big sample size
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,985

Post#93 » by Snakebites » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:46 pm

Setting aside my views (which only matter to me), I'm reasonably certain we're giving him a max extension barring some catastrophic circumstance.

It's clear the management team believes in our young core. I wish I had their faith.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#94 » by DBC10 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:59 pm

vege wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:It is certainly debatable if Cade has lived up to the potential of a #1 pick. He was a consensus #1 so I wouldn’t say it was a bad pick. Maybe some bad luck w his injuries that has slowed his progress, but he is a legit NBA player.

So what it comes down to is what his extension looks like. If we have to Max him out, I’d try to trade him. If he signs for something more reasonable than he’s a keeper.

Not sure what his trade value is. I’m sure it’s high, but not sure what would actually be offered. But a legit starting 3&D SF with a couple of first rounders would be the type of trade to consider.

Devin Vassell? He's playing SG this season primarily, but has length and shooting potential as a true volume 3&D in this league, that you can plug and play anywhere
Mikal Bridges?

You know for a player to be called 3&D he actually have to be a good defender and a good 3 point shooter right?

Vassell is a very bad defender and an average 3 point shooter (at best) so how the **** you call him a 3&D?

You do know, in this day and age a 3&D's standards has drastically changed since years ago right? 3&D is basically any guy that can shoot volume on 3's while being able to have size and length to defend as a potential or showing sparks there

At this point in time he's at least closer to a prototypical 3&D than not compared to the rest of the peers in this league. Besides, it was just a mild brainstorming, the potential added in as he has more or less improved each year and did shoot 38% from 3 on volume. He's likely being told to do too much on the Spurs team with no true primary ball handler on their lineup
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,248

Post#95 » by BDM22 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:16 pm

Snakebites wrote:Setting aside my views (which only matter to me), I'm reasonably certain we're giving him a max extension barring some catastrophic circumstance.

It's clear the management team believes in our young core. I wish I had their faith.

Yeah, pretty much the whole ship is riding on Cade's shoulders. The FO is in too deep with this investment of the #1 pick. They aren't going to trade him and if you're not doing that, you pretty much have to extend him. Certainly his agent is going to demand the max and he's going to get it.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,375

Post#96 » by Spider156 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:16 am

Rip32 wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:To me the whole Cade thing was questionable, I never saw what made him the “consensus” pick outside of questions surrounding other players and if that’s the bar your setting for what’s supposed to be a franchise player, you’re setting yourself up issues.

I wanted Mobley as well. It's easy to find players like Cade. Guys 6'6, slow and can't shoot can be found in any draft daily. You don't find guys with Mobley skills often

Sent from my SM-A546U using RealGM mobile app

No guys like Cade cannot be found every year. Are you serious? Lmao. No. Have respect, the man can run an NBA offense, it’s not his fault he’s got inexperienced players around him. He’s not your #1 option yet but maybe in year 6 or 10 or 14.

What fans don’t understand is the owner is willing to wait another year to see this team grow while we continue to draft high potential players and regardless of free agency, weaver’s drafted 6 rotational players total and two others. The way Gores sees it is weaver has built a core of large potential players and they are letting time decide the fit. So far they tried once with this core, failed, cleaned house. This summer they’re gonna extend whoever they like in the next 30 games and swing again in the draft and free agency. If we sign Tobias, things are good. If not, may God have mercy on our franchise. We are in desperate position for any internal improvement and any talent.

I think people mistake seeing our players as NBA ready specially on defense. Our players didn’t have any business playing NBA games this season and last season. It’s literally been scrimmage for us knowing the season is over before it started and we couldn’t figure out how to win. I mean we are RAW as a roster, these guys are super young. They’re also super talented. I think the front office has completely failed the team. The good news is Cade isn’t good enough to ask for a trade, he’s gonna get paid and like it. The bad news is we are not close to being competitive. We need every game the reason of the season to get better and MORE. These guys need 100 games more under their belt before they find their identity let alone this summer’s draft choice.

I believe every player including Cade Ivey Ausar duren should be criticized the same way regardless of where they were picked. So far Ausar has been the most disappointing and Duren, let’s be real…
Defense wins championships
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,317

Post#97 » by vege » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:16 am

DBC10 wrote:
vege wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
Devin Vassell? He's playing SG this season primarily, but has length and shooting potential as a true volume 3&D in this league, that you can plug and play anywhere
Mikal Bridges?

You know for a player to be called 3&D he actually have to be a good defender and a good 3 point shooter right?

Vassell is a very bad defender and an average 3 point shooter (at best) so how the **** you call him a 3&D?

You do know, in this day and age a 3&D's standards has drastically changed since years ago right? 3&D is basically any guy that can shoot volume on 3's while being able to have size and length to defend as a potential or showing sparks there

At this point in time he's at least closer to a prototypical 3&D than not compared to the rest of the peers in this league. Besides, it was just a mild brainstorming, the potential added in as he has more or less improved each year and did shoot 38% from 3 on volume. He's likely being told to do too much on the Spurs team with no true primary ball handler on their lineup

So Burks Bojan Sasser Muscala etc were all 3&D according to your standards. We never had a problem them, we surrounded Cade and Duren with 3&D players :crazy:

Vassell is bad, he can't defend anyone.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#98 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:46 pm

I remember Deanondraft(I know everyone loves to hate him but he does have some great outside the box stuff) was very bear on Cade coming out. He also was completely bear Wiggins when consensus was all over him but anyway I was just going back and reading his stuff on Cade and he really did have alot of it pegged.

His entire thing was Cade was a solid prospect but no where near the consensus pick 1 that everyone talked about. He had Cade 6 in the class and had Mobley as the clear 1. He did have 2.Suggs which was a brick but has improved this year but still brick but 3.Barnes who would be 1 in redraft 4.Wagner 5.Senguin. 6. Cade

I actually think a better version of Middleton or Devin Booker type outcome is what were hoping for. Thats a fine payoff and likely ends up being the best player in the class still.

https://deanondraft.com/2021/07/12/four-factors-of-cade-cunninghams-offense/
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 232

Post#99 » by Sheeeeed » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:51 pm

All bets are off on a Cade extension if the front office gets fired.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#100 » by Rip32 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:20 pm

Weaver went conservative with the pick. You never take the conservative player with the 1st overall pick. You always take the rawest player with the most upside i.e. Mobley.

This logic of surrounding Cade with shooters is idiotic imo. Get players who can create their own shot! I'm not giving out a max contract for a player who is just a facilitator and can't shoot. We just waived a player will similar traits. I would definitely be looking for a trade.

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority

Return to Detroit Pistons